[MOD] More standard method for booting recovery

Guest AdamG1337

oh dear, that doesn't sound too good? usually a charging light means that you can still recover it though.

Na could still get back into recovery fine, and flash back no problems.

So. any thoughts on why this isn't working as expected Adam?

Guest Lennyuk
Na could still get back into recovery fine, and flash back no problems.

So. any thoughts on why this isn't working as expected Adam?

Spoke to Adam on irc earlier and he thinks its just all about getting the timing right.

I tried lots and I mean lots for different ways to to press power and volume up, and none worked.

Yeah me too. Any information on the timing would be appreciated, thanks.

Guest emergant
I tried lots and I mean lots for different ways to to press power and volume up, and none worked.

As I understand it you couldn't boot into android at all? Not just recovery? If I understand correctly, a timing issue when pressing buttons may stop you enterring recovery, but I can't see how it would stop the tablet booting. I think something is fundamentally wrong with the bootloader or the way we are using it. I may play with it at the weekend when I'm fresh.

As I understand it you couldn't boot into android at all? Not just recovery? If I understand correctly, a timing issue when pressing buttons may stop you enterring recovery, but I can't see how it would stop the tablet booting. I think something is fundamentally wrong with the bootloader or the way we are using it. I may play with it at the weekend when I'm fresh.

no i could boot the device, at one point I got black screen and another time it completely wouldn't boot (as sir gash did same thing and had same prob) after I replaced the bootloader.bin and recovery.img in with the 1.06.5 files and tried to flash that, within this time I also tried getting into recovery by power_vol up lots of times in lots of ways and it just booted normally. A fun couple of hours for sure.

Edited by Higgsy

Guest danielj58
no i could boot the device, at one point I got black screen and another time it completely wouldn't boot (as sir gash did same thing and had same prob) after I replaced the bootloader.bin and recovery.img in with the 1.06.5 files and tried to flash that, within this time I also tried getting into recovery by power_vol up lots of times in lots of ways and it just booted normally. A fun couple of hours for sure.

Much the same experience.

The fault seems to lie in the modified bootloader somewhere.

Guest emergant

So when you put the modified bootloader.bin into the advent flash archive and flashed the whole device using the advent exe, you could boot into android but not recovery? If so, did you also modify the flash.cfg file in the advent archive to flash the recovery image. If not, just dropping the recovery image into the advent archive would not be enough to flash the recovery image. I'm going from memory. The thread I linked in my original post explained how to modify the .cfg file.

Guest danielj58
So when you put the modified bootloader.bin into the advent flash archive and flashed the whole device using the advent exe, you could boot into android but not recovery? If so, did you also modify the flash.cfg file in the advent archive to flash the recovery image. If not, just dropping the recovery image into the advent archive would not be enough to flash the recovery image. I'm going from memory. The thread I linked in my original post explained how to modify the .cfg file.

I did the above, and had modified the flash.cfg (I know it's working because I use the clockwork recovery image instead of the standard one when flashing back to stock) and it wouldn't boot at all. Wasn't a happy bunny. It looks to be the bootloader, as the NVFlash updated doesn't appear to flash the bootloader whereas the advent one does.

Guest Sir Gash

If I recall correctly, when using Adam's bootloader.bin (any method), the screen remained off during the whole flashing process. However, if you use the default bootloader.bin the screen on the Vega comes on with an 'nvflash recovery' message in small text in the top left of the screen. I can only assume the bootlader is corrupt or missing something else for it to work correctly?

After four attempts to get this working, I was never able to boot the device with this bootloader, the backlight wouldn't even turn on at any point and I know it wasn't booting as no USB connection was made.

The 'timing issue' mentioned earlier is only for the lucky few who have managed to boot the device with this bootloader. I would suggest trying a quick press of the power button to switch on the device and then press and hold Power+Volume Up until you get into recovery if timing really is an issue (rather than holding these buttons to switch on the device). If you see the 'Booting...' screen then it hasn't worked.

Guest Lennyuk
If I recall correctly, when using Adam's bootloader.bin (any method), the screen remained off during the whole flashing process. However, if you use the default bootloader.bin the screen on the Vega comes on with an 'nvflash recovery' message in small text in the top left of the screen. I can only assume the bootlader is corrupt or missing something else for it to work correctly?

After four attempts to get this working, I was never able to boot the device with this bootloader, the backlight wouldn't even turn on at any point and I know it wasn't booting as no USB connection was made.

The 'timing issue' mentioned earlier is only for the lucky few who have managed to boot the device with this bootloader. I would suggest trying a quick press of the power button to switch on the device and then press and hold Power+Volume Up until you get into recovery if timing really is an issue (rather than holding these buttons to switch on the device). If you see the 'Booting...' screen then it hasn't worked.

Yes the words nvflash recovery should show when its successfully flashed.

Adam said it took him 4 attempts himself to flash it right.

The timings to get into nvflash mode are difficult to master you have to get them pretty much exact.

Hold back for 2 seconds and keep pressed

Home Power for 2 seconds then release

keep hold of back for another 2 seconds then release

This should be what is require, but timings need to be almost perfect.

Guest Sir Gash

The timings to get into nvflash mode are difficult to master you have to get them pretty much exact.

Is that the timing issue he was speaking of? I thought he meant timing issue to get into clockwork recovery with PWR+VOL buttons!

I am now a master at getting into NV recovery using the above button combos, I must have done this 20+ times now!

Could you ask Adam to actually read this thread, because nobody has had any luck with this.

Guest Lennyuk
Is that the timing issue he was speaking of? I thought he meant timing issue to get into clockwork recovery with PWR+VOL buttons!

I am now a master at getting into NV recovery using the above button combos, I must have done this 20+ times now!

Could you ask Adam to actually read this thread, because nobody has had any luck with this.

he expressly said the timing is hard to do both correctly.

Most people have probably not correctly flashed the hboot if it didn't say NVFlash on the screen when they did it.

Can anyone here confirm that they have correctly done the above? and are still struggling to boot.

go to freenode irc in channel #modaco for help people in there yesterday had it working fine, I am still to try on my own.

the way I check is to have device manager open on the PC and when you see it appear in there you know you've got it.

If its not going in, I have also found that disconnecting the power cable/reconnecting seems to reset the ability to get into nvflash mode.

Anyway I'm gonna have another go. If people have got it working as Lenny says then somehow it must be somehting I am not doing right, besides I had drunk half a bottle of rum the other night so maybe that was a contributing factor.

Na still the same - I am def in flash mode because device manager shows me Nvdia usb boot recovery under usb devices.

I get nothing on the screen of the vega like you do when you flash the normal firmware file by nvflash

this is what the cmd window shows, so it does indicate it has worked ok

Untitled-1.png

he expressly said the timing is hard to do both correctly.

Most people have probably not correctly flashed the hboot if it didn't say NVFlash on the screen when they did it.

Can anyone here confirm that they have correctly done the above? and are still struggling to boot.

go to freenode irc in channel #modaco for help people in there yesterday had it working fine, I am still to try on my own.

Mine has definitely taken the update, because if I load the recovery.apk and run it, I get to the clockwork mod ( which was not installed on my machine before this)

I have tried all sorts of combo presses with power and volume up, but I either just boot as normal ( says booting) or turns straight of ( if I try pressing power quickly, followed by power + volume up).

If I go to recovery using the recovery.apk, the only text I get at rebooting into recovery is booting..... very briefly before getting to clockwork

Guest emergant

Agreed. Tested this morning by modifying the Vega flash to install the recovery image and bootloader. The device cannot boot or initialize the display with this bootloader.

• 1 month later...
Guest rferrett

So been trying to find this thread for a while now and just found it.

I know AdamG has moved on from the Vega anyone else here have the know how to try and run with this and get it working? I really wish I did but alas it is miles, miles ahead of my level of competency.

Guest jellywobbles

Maybe this post should be renamed:-

[MOD] More standard method for booting recovery - NOT WORKING!

until its fixed - or deleted?