Mobile Broadband dongles

Guest dukla2000

Guest Jisonga

Looks like i may have to have a look online for a huawei usb dongle and then i can sort out any data sim after that.

Anyone tried the other makes of dongles yet to see if any other make also works.

There are plenty of unlocked full speed huawei dongles on ebay going to cheap so it may not be a problem to find a good deal.

Jason.

Guest huwwatkins
Looks like i may have to have a look online for a huawei usb dongle and then i can sort out any data sim after that.

Anyone tried the other makes of dongles yet to see if any other make also works.

There are plenty of unlocked full speed huawei dongles on ebay going to cheap so it may not be a problem to find a good deal.

Jason.

I have an e169g I will try it when I get home!

Thanks to all for the great work. I am desperate to mobile internet on my Vega and have been looking at the following options...

http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/ option three looks promising on a 1 month contract or alternatively...

http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/?mifi=1 option 1 means spending £39.99 on the modem but as I understand it I would be able to connect to the wifi hotspot after changing the wifi-supplicant file (Ad-hoc) I think.

Any views on either option would be appreciated.

Nelson

My huawei K4505 doesn't work... yet.

Maybe just maybe it's because it intends to start the cd-rom.

I haven't found the AT commands to disable cd-rom for this dongle yet, but this topic may help to others.

Source http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914350

You must disable the CD-ROM drive with AT^U2DIAG=0 on the modem before you can use it on the folio.

Connect your USB modem to your PC, find out the COM port used by the modem and then connect via putty to the COM port and send AT^U2DIAG=0.

Here is a tutorial how to send AT commands using Windows: http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/ex...+under+Windows

Also disable the PIN check on your SIM card.

Edited by Melted

Guest elvch01

Its nice to know that these dongles work, but when I decided to get a Vega, I also splashed out on a mifi router (£50 on eBay) which is essentially a wifi access point with a 3G connection. I simply took the SIM out of my 3G dongle, inserted it into the mifi box and away it went

+ no "ugly" dongle sticking out of the top (mifi router stays in pocket)

+ guaranteed to work (although I will now try the above method)

+ works with any wifi device

- mifi box is good for only 4-5 hours (requirement for mains point thereafter for charging)

My huawei K4505 doesn't work... yet.

Maybe just maybe it's because it intends to start the cr-rom.

I haven't found the AT commands to disable cd-rom for this dongle yet, but this topic may help to others.

Source http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914350

You must disable the CD-ROM drive with AT^U2DIAG=0 on the modem before you can use it on the folio.

Connect your USB modem to your PC, find out the COM port used by the modem and then connect via putty to the COM port and send AT^U2DIAG=0.

Here is a tutorial how to send AT commands using Windows: http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/ex...+under+Windows

Also disable the PIN check on your SIM card.

Melted.

Keep us updated with how you get on

Nelson

Fantasic, huawei E176 working like a charm on O2. It did take a couple of attempts to locate a network and showed two O2's for some reason the second one works best.

Note, typing this connected using the dongle, result.

Guest Bobbler

Some additional news for those with ZTE based modems (like the one Three network do). My modem is network unlocked since I got it when I flashed it with updated firmware - your mileage may vary.

Vega is on Pauls R7 firmware from a couple of days ago.

I managed to get mine to the point of the now I can see the list of networks and register on Three (my sim card provider on this device)

In addition to the notes here you have to disable the inbuilt CD drive "Autorun" thing

Figure out the com port by plugging the modem into your PC - check in the Device manager, should show up as ZTE NMEA Device - mine was COM6

Download PUTTY and use serial mode, enter your com port in the above step.

You should see a black screen periodically updating with +ZUSIMR:2 or similar.

Enter the command:

AT+ZCDRUN=8

Don't worry if the screen scrolls with a new message, just enter the text anyway.

You should get the message "Close autorun state result(0:FAIL 1:SUCCESS):1

OK"

If you get 0 returned instead, close PUTTY, use the safely remove hardware button on your Windows task bar and eject the CD device. Then retry.

Now follow the steps previously posted for adding an account and you should see your detected 3G network providers, from here I can select Three and it tells me it's registered and I get a 3G data signal bar appear in the Android status bar (with my Wifi off :P )

From here on though I am stuck. I cannot actually get to the internet using browser at this point.

Airplane mode setting works and disables the 3G connection (change of light on the dongle in addition to the status bar)

Was going to play further, but my Vega is out of battery and making me upset with it - on charge and attempting to use it is a disaster of touch screen hit and miss <sigh>

Edited by Bobbler

Guest carl rose

There was one thing I forgot to say when I chose the provider all I got was the bars without the 3g symbol. I had to do a manual profile. Basically for 3uk is just the name of the profile and the apn 3internet

Hope this helps some of you

Guest huwwatkins
There was one thing I forgot to say when I chose the provider all I got was the bars without the 3g symbol. I had to do a manual profile. Basically for 3uk is just the name of the profile and the apn 3internet

Hope this helps some of you

If your on mobile broadband its always been three.co.uk as the apn for me?

Also - the Huawei e169 works once you have disabled the cd drive on on it. One thing I noticed is that if the vega goes in to standby the connection will hang and you have to remove/reinsert the usb dongle.

I wonder if there is a way of stripping the pcb out of the plastic usb casing and soldering it direct to the usb port internally. In theory the I'd guess the vega would ignore it when it was in slave mode and then auto pick it back up again in host mode?

On my netbook there was an unconnected usb header on the motherboard that you could solder stuff directly too - does the vega have somthing like this?

Edited by huwwatkins

Guest professordes
I have a working, surfing conection via an Huawei E220 3G dongle on my Vega.

BB.

Wow, that really is brilliant. :P

This works for a 3 UK E156G dongle (one of the black small stick ones). The only extra thing I had to do, as noted by others, was add in the APN for 3 (3internet) by hand.

Having a WiFi+3G tablet at the Vega's price is rather nice.....

Edited by professordes

Guest andycap

Mine works with E220 dongle.

I am wondering if it would be possible to gain access internally to the usb ports that are for the dock? If it were possible then it would not be a hard job to fit a usb dongle inside the vega. The usb ports that are on the dock are already Host ports and we would not need to loose our slave port.

Does anyone have a pinout for the docking connector? I am guessing that at least one usb port would be accessible internally by connecting from the back of the dock connector.

I have also seen a usb dongle GPS in Maplin for £19.99. Wonder if that would work? if so then could fit that internally aswell and have full 3g & GPS.

Your thoughts?

Guest inberno
Some additional news for those with ZTE based modems (like the one Three network do). My modem is network unlocked since I got it when I flashed it with updated firmware - your mileage may vary.

Vega is on Pauls R7 firmware from a couple of days ago.

I managed to get mine to the point of the now I can see the list of networks and register on Three (my sim card provider on this device)

In addition to the notes here you have to disable the inbuilt CD drive "Autorun" thing

Figure out the com port by plugging the modem into your PC - check in the Device manager, should show up as ZTE NMEA Device - mine was COM6

Download PUTTY and use serial mode, enter your com port in the above step.

You should see a black screen periodically updating with +ZUSIMR:2 or similar.

Enter the command:

AT+ZCDRUN=8

Don't worry if the screen scrolls with a new message, just enter the text anyway.

You should get the message "Close autorun state result(0:FAIL 1:SUCCESS):1

OK"

If you get 0 returned instead, close PUTTY, use the safely remove hardware button on your Windows task bar and eject the CD device. Then retry.

Now follow the steps previously posted for adding an account and you should see your detected 3G network providers, from here I can select Three and it tells me it's registered and I get a 3G data signal bar appear in the Android status bar (with my Wifi off :P )

From here on though I am stuck. I cannot actually get to the internet using browser at this point.

Airplane mode setting works and disables the 3G connection (change of light on the dongle in addition to the status bar)

Was going to play further, but my Vega is out of battery and making me upset with it - on charge and attempting to use it is a disaster of touch screen hit and miss <sigh>

I got was the bars without the 3g symbol. I had to do a manual APN but the 3g symbol not appear. I tried with a ZTE MF626 unlocked and two SIM from two companys. I can't navigate but is near i hope

I got was the bars without the 3g symbol. I had to do a manual APN but the 3g symbol not appear. I tried with a ZTE MF626 unlocked and two SIM from two companys. I can't navigate but is near i hope

I've got stuck at the network search screen with my ZTE MF112 - I even got to a bootloop after restarting.... had to reflash my POV

I gave it another try: when I turn off 3G and Data connection, it can search and find the network - but as soon as I turn back 3G or data connection, I got the error message not able to connect

I had no problems with my huawei E220 though, it was working like charm

Edited by Uzi74

Guest dukla2000
This is my first post here, so if I've posted in the wrong please, let me know and I'll happily move it.

Cheers,

BB.

Brilliant!

OK - I have ZTE MF 112 dongle on 3 UK. Following BakedBeans recipe everything goes fine, when selecting available networks I get 3,3,3, T-Mobile UK, O2-UK, vodafone UK and T-Mobile UK so the Vega is obviously reading stuff from the ether via the dongle.

If I select two of the 3 options it tries to register, dongle light goes red and it fails. If I select the other 3 option I get "Registered on Network", signal strength icon in message bar but no 3G icon.

At first there was nothing under "Access Point Names", so have tried

Name = dongle, APN = three.co.uk, Username = guest, Password = guest all the rest <Not set>

Name = dongle, APN = three.co.uk all the rest <Not set>

Name = dongle, APN = 3internet, Username = guest, Password = guest all the rest <Not set>

Name = dongle, APN = 3internet all the rest <Not set>

no success

So near and yet so far - any suggestions?

BTW first option is how the dongle works on Linux, except I also have Number = *99#, cant see an obvious Android field to load that.

BTW 2 - have tried to disable the CD-ROM on this dongle without success, it is still visible on Linux. But (IMHO) irrelevant as witness by the progress above and the fact it works on Linux.

Edited by dukla2000

Guest inberno
Brilliant!

OK - I have ZTE MF 112 dongle on 3 UK. Following BakedBeans recipe everything goes fine, when selecting available networks I get 3,3,3, T-Mobile UK, O2-UK, vodafone UK and T-Mobile UK so the Vega is obviously reading stuff from the ether via the dongle.

If I select two of the 3 options it tries to register, dongle light goes red and it fails. If I select the other 3 option I get "Registered on Network", signal strength icon in message bar but no 3G icon.

At first there was nothing under "Access Point Names", so have tried

Name = dongle, APN = three.co.uk, Username = guest, Password = guest all the rest <Not set>

Name = dongle, APN = three.co.uk all the rest <Not set>

Name = dongle, APN = 3internet, Username = guest, Password = guest all the rest <Not set>

Name = dongle, APN = 3internet all the rest <Not set>

no success

So near and yet so far - any suggestions?

BTW first option is how the dongle works on Linux, except I also have Number = *99#, cant see an obvious Android field to load that.

BTW 2 - have tried to disable the CD-ROM on this dongle without success, it is still visible on Linux. But (IMHO) irrelevant as witness by the progress above and the fact it works on Linux.

Maybe the ZTE drivers on kernel Linux don't setup properly? All people with ZTE dongle have signal and registered on network but don't have 3G symbol. Maybe the data communication is not working

I suspect I might get my huawei e1752 working by disabling the cd-rom feature, but that will also turn off the sd card in it, which I use with my laptop, so I think I'll stick to tethering via phone for now.

I have to say even the Huawei E220 is working, it is not flawless. I'm having problems after waking it up after stand-by, have to unplug-plug in again the modem cable. To build up the connection takes relatively long time. And it worth to mention it seems it is draining the battery fast.

Guest dukla2000
I suspect I might get my huawei e1752 working by disabling the cd-rom feature, but that will also turn off the sd card in it, which I use with my laptop, so I think I'll stick to tethering via phone for now.

You don't have to disable the CD-ROM - I know my Linux (kernel 2.6.34) has the 'switcher' module in it - detects the CD-ROM mode of the dongle then switches it automatically to modem mode. Obviously this Android kernel (2.6.32) also has it. Been frantically scouring my Linux logs to find the name of the module and can't find it which is a bit frustrating but the log below shows it in progress (on my PC):

2011-02-11 09:11:38	server	modem-manager	(ttyUSB1) closing serial device...

2011-02-11 09:11:38	server	modem-manager	(ZTE): GSM modem /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.1/usb5/5-2 claimed port ttyUSB1

2011-02-11 09:11:38	server	modem-manager	Added modem /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.1/usb5/5-2

2011-02-11 09:11:38	server	modem-manager	(ttyUSB2) closing serial device...

2011-02-11 09:11:38	server	modem-manager	Exported modem /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.1/usb5/5-2 as /org/freedesktop/ModemManager/Modems/21

2011-02-11 09:11:38	server	modem-manager	(ZTE): GSM modem /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.1/usb5/5-2 claimed port ttyUSB2

2011-02-11 09:11:51	server	modem-manager	(ttyUSB0) closing serial device...

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	modem-manager	(ttyUSB2) opening serial device...

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	modem-manager	Modem /org/freedesktop/ModemManager/Modems/21: state changed (disabled -> enabling)

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	modem-manager	Modem /org/freedesktop/ModemManager/Modems/21: state changed (enabling -> enabled)

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	modem-manager	Registration state changed: 1

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	modem-manager	Modem /org/freedesktop/ModemManager/Modems/21: state changed (enabled -> registered)

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	modem-manager	Modem /org/freedesktop/ModemManager/Modems/21: state changed (registered -> connecting)

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	modem-manager	Modem /org/freedesktop/ModemManager/Modems/21: state changed (connecting -> connected)

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	pppd[7078]	Plugin /usr/lib64/pppd/2.4.5/nm-pppd-plugin.so loaded.

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	pppd[7078]	pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	pppd[7078]	Using interface ppp0

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	pppd[7078]	Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB2

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	pppd[7078]	CHAP authentication succeeded

2011-02-11 09:12:41	server	pppd[7078]	CHAP authentication succeeded

2011-02-11 09:12:48	server	pppd[7078]	Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64

2011-02-11 09:12:48	server	pppd[7078]	local  IP address 92.40.200.16

2011-02-11 09:12:48	server	pppd[7078]	remote IP address 10.64.64.64

2011-02-11 09:12:48	server	pppd[7078]	primary   DNS address 217.171.135.1

2011-02-11 09:12:48	server	pppd[7078]	secondary DNS address 217.171.132.1

Maybe the ZTE drivers on kernel Linux don't setup properly?
Yeah, something like that, but only for this 2.6.32 Android flavour, as I say at 2.6.34 on my PC they are fine.

ps - Both { APN = 3internet } and { APN = three.co.uk, Username = guest, Password = guest } work on my PC. Did a bit of googling and testing and 3internet has no censoring/parental controls whereas three.co.uk does. Also got my fastest ever speedtest download last night on 3internet - 5.6Mbps, may just be coincidence.

Edited by dukla2000