Too many ROMs, please advise.

Guest AndyHibberd

Guest AndyHibberd

Guys,

I'm on Paul's r5 release. Pretty happy, no crashes except a bout of non-responsive screen one time.

Am I correct in thinking that the r5 Paul's is a beta kernel and I should be looking at one of the release ROMs instead?

Or should I be waiting until we get a proper signed/sealed, 100% official Froyo ROM that we don't have to have 14 pages of people asking about DNS caching or A-GPS configuration with links to Chinese websites and the like?

I would quite like to have Facebook sync contacts working. I use SyncMyPix atm but would prefer it automated.

Also pressing home instead of power to wake screen would be good (Jelly apparently does this).

So what ROM should I get or should I wait for a 100% official Blade Froyo?

Let's try and keep this a short discussion!

Cheers,

Andy

Guest targetbsp

If you already have an older Froyo then you should surely upgrade? You'll get the same thing but no lock screen freezes :D And backlights working.

It's a bit more debatable perhaps if you're on 2.1 but I still would upgrade.

I think it's generally accepted that there won't be an official UK froyo. What we have, as far as I can tell, are official japanese froyos using kernals made to work for our phone based on official source code release by ZTE. I suspect that's as official as it's going to get? From what I'm reading, some european countries with hardware closer to us may get Froyos we can later use.

Less brave 2.1 users might want to hold off until the current round of roms aren't facing releases every few days but I can't see any reason to do so if you're already running an older and buggier Froyo.

I believe Paul's R6 fixes the nonresponsive screen problem. If you flash that, you won't need to wipe data/cache anymore because you're moving from R5. Simples. :D

Guest AndyHibberd

"And backlights working."

By backlights you mean the LED behind the physical back button? Mine is working...

Does paul's R6 have the Facebook syncy business and the wake on any button feature? (And if not, why no?!)

Appreciated,

Andy

Guest targetbsp
"And backlights working."

By backlights you mean the LED behind the physical back button? Mine is working...

Nope... I mean the backlights :P Not the notification led. The buttons are meant to light up in the dark so you can see them. Not a major issue I don't think but it seemed to be for some people. :D

Guest AndyHibberd

Never noticed that.

I'd like to know when these ROM makers will have what they class as a "Final" release based on the Jap kernel. If it'll be final in a few weeks I'll wait.

Guest oh!dougal
Never noticed that.

I'd like to know when these ROM makers will have what they class as a "Final" release based on the Jap kernel. If it'll be final in a few weeks I'll wait.

It would only be "final" because there was a better (or more interesting) foundation to work upon. Not because it was "perfect". There is ALWAYS more to be done, extra stuff to be included, anomalies to be investigated ... and so on.

Sad but true of any piece of software.

Never noticed that.

Windows95 released in 1995, window7 released 2009. When will there be a 'Final' release where everything works and no more forums asking MS questions about all the 'bugs' still in it after 16years ? answer, NEVER. Sorry guy, couldn't help it. I work in IT and therefore come up with geeky jokes like this !

Edited by xzyk

I went from mcr 2.1 r4 to JJ RLS6 just a couple of days ago and it seems stable in both performance and battery. I cant comment on the facebook stuff as I dont use it, but regarding that wake on hardware button press is not true, power button is still required to wake the device once its gone to sleep. Otherwise, it hasnt gone to sleep and is draining battery.

I havent had any screen freeze issue, however I've had the whole device freezing and rebooting, this is most likely due to the overclocking settings though. Since taking it down a notch its been rock stable, but given the short period of use its a bit early to tell I guess. The wifi still disconnects on sleep, if thats a concern to you but I believe thats the case with every rom.

I get the feeling that JJ and FLB are the custom 2.2 roms being most actively developed and worked on, so my choice was between them. Maybe Paul's rom is in the mix as well, but as I understand he's got his hands quite full working on soo many devices. I'm forgetting Sebastians rom too ofc! Its supposedly a neat one too, to be honest, I had more or less already decided on kallt_kaffe's rom and was going for it unless it was giving me issues.

Edited by bagge

Guest Putterill
I get the feeling that JJ and FLB are the custom 2.2 roms being most actively developed and worked on, so my choice was between them. Maybe Paul's rom is in the mix as well, but as I understand he's got his hands quite full working on soo many devices. I'm forgetting Sebastians rom too ofc! Its supposedly a neat one too, to be honest, I had more or less already decided on kallt_kaffe's rom and was going for it unless it was giving me issues.

Paul's rom has had two releases in the past few days and I believe another is due very soon :D

Guest DarkCounter
Not anymore: FB Sync is also available for Japanese Jellyfish from now on :D

And Paul is about to implement in his next release, too. But we'll have to perform a wipe unluckily. Not a dealbreaker in my eyes as we have titanium...

Guest AndyHibberd

OK I took the plunge and installed JellyFish.

I notice a significant increase in general responsiveness, I am impressed! I don't think it's psychological either.

Very snappy.

And with the FB sync feature working (Just testing it out now...) this is a most pleasing ROM.

Can't really ask for more!

Edit: I'm not sure I'm doing this FB sync correct. Previously I synced with SyncMyPix and that assigned pictures into the contacts.

I want the FB sync to do the same. It doesn't look like it has replaced any photos...

But it does say the FB account has been added and I ticked "Sync with Existing contacts"

Edited by AndyHibberd