Ideas for future ROMs

Guest digisol

Guest digisol

Hi All,

Was thinking about the kind of developments I would personally like to see in a future 2.2 (or higher?) ROM, now that I believe the kernel source will allow more native/stable versions in future - the sort of things that as a user I wouldn't be able to simply download from the market.

Anyways, I would really like to see:

Native HID support:- I have an iGo stowaway bluetooth keyboard. Using this would be awesome. The only HID support I can see with 2.2 is the Desire with Cyanogen Mod, and the Samsung Galaxy S (

- this incidently is the exact same keyboard).

Decent Lockscreen:- none of the market options are as smooth and integrated as a stock version. I never liked the moving magnifying glass thing of Alpha 3.

I think there was another point, but I forget.

Any ideas whether these ideas could be taken forward? I'm sure there must be a host of other ideas...

Digisol

Hi All,

Was thinking about the kind of developments I would personally like to see in a future 2.2 (or higher?) ROM, now that I believe the kernel source will allow more native/stable versions in future - the sort of things that as a user I wouldn't be able to simply download from the market.

Anyways, I would really like to see:

Native HID support:- I have an iGo stowaway bluetooth keyboard. Using this would be awesome. The only HID support I can see with 2.2 is the Desire with Cyanogen Mod, and the Samsung Galaxy S (

Decent Lockscreen:- none of the market options are as smooth and integrated as a stock version. I never liked the moving magnifying glass thing of Alpha 3.

I think there was another point, but I forget.

Any ideas whether these ideas could be taken forward? I'm sure there must be a host of other ideas...

Digisol

You can just change the lockscreen to pin or pattern in settings. On Japanese Jellyfish it's the stock with just a slide.

Guest digisol

Cheers Zapher - might try the pin thing. I guess what I really want to know is whether anyone is currently working on HID support for the San Fran - I can't be the only one who wishes to use a decent bluetooth keyboard (or even a mouse!)

Guest fonix232

HID support mostly depends on the kernel. I've already asked Kallt to include USB host support in his builds, and of course the modules too to enable HID, USB storage, USB video out, etc.

Guest heavyduty00

if a rom had froyo with the ability to change the wallpaper of the lockscreen

and the pin would automatically be entered for you without having to press 'ok' every time you entered your pin passcode

that would be great! ;)

Guest MrPuddington

Agreed, that would be a nice addition (and motivation for me to get a bluetooth keyboard).

I would certainly use it the other way around: if the Android can be a bluetooth keyboard (for PowerPoint etc). Not sure about the how that would work.

HID support mostly depends on the kernel. I've already asked Kallt to include USB host support in his builds, and of course the modules too to enable HID, USB storage, USB video out, etc.

USB is a separate issue. USB host would be very nice. Plugging in a USB keyboard, too. And using USB gadget, the Android could be a USB keyboard.

Talking about keyboards, I would appreciate a Dvorak layout, but keyboard layouts seem to be very fragmented on Android.

If there is any way to support Cisco AnyConnect, that would be great. There is a free version openconnect, but I am not sure how difficult it is to integrate into Android.

An SSH daemon would be nice, but that could just as well be an app.

Guest digisol

I remembered the other thing I forgot from my first post ;)

Can a future ROM also factor in the volume boost (the one which doesn't distort at high volume!)

Thanks

Guest MrPuddington
LEAP authentication so that I can get on my work wireless network would be good.

Works for me with JJ RLS6. I stopped fiddling with it once I got it to work being to afraid to mess it up, so I am not sure how robust it is.

if this is the thread for wishes ;)

for the galaxy a lot of optimization and modding is already done.

these guys at XDA tuned up the kernel a lot:

for example here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=822756

question is if this makes sense with the blade kernel aswell. at the moment i am really new to android, i also have no development environment yet. i will have sooner or later. takes time.

in the darkys galaxy rom also 4 lockscreens are included.a lso power widgets in the status bar & lot of options in the power down menu.

the xda forum section of the galaxy is full of themes and stuff.

i am pretty sure some of this stuff can be used on the blade aswell.

at the moment i just start with yandroid so i cant do it myself yet.

but maybe some of you get inspired... :)

Edited by curl66

Guest oh!dougal

There are two different things being mixed up in this thread

- dev projects that would be nice

and

- things that have already been developed, but are tricky/hard/impossible to use without them being compiled into the kernel, or tightly integrated into the rom -- and which are unlikely to be ever offered for the Blade, other than from the 'modding' community.

To take the second category first, three I'd suggest are --

- USB host mode, so that one could ultimately plug in any combination of usb keyboard, mouse, storage (hard drive, card reader, pen/stick/thumb drive), audio (headphones, etc) or even usb video.

It makes the Blade behave like a computer with a usb port, instead of just being a usb flash drive.

Sven Killig has already developed this usb host mode for the Blade

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad.../usb-host-mode/

but it really needs to be incorporated into a rom build (and I'm not clear which drivers are available)

Paul has recently (a fortnight ago) done a usb mode-switching app for the Advent Vega tablet

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...slave-switcher/

which ought to require only minor modification to work with Sven's stuff for the Blade.

Auto-mode-switching (by using the right cable) is called USB OTG and would be the best way to use Host Mode - see later in this post

- Taintdroid. This is a privacy-checking kernel extension.

When an app "calls home" and sends them your personal data, Taintdroid tells you.

But it needs to be compiled into the kernel.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=812879

- DSP. This an Android 2.2 framework tweak, that adds audio equaliser functions

http://bel.fi/~alankila/android-dsp/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=783737

OK, now for a bit of "I wish someone would invent..." --

-- USB OTG. USB 'on the go' -- Auto mode select (cable-select) for usb host or slave mode, and switching 'on the fly' (no reboot).

Someone did a bit of work on this for the Hero, but hasn't touched the project since last April. Since our Blade's usb chip works both ways, I'm sure it should be able to look at the state of the extra pin connection on the micro usb socket. What is involved in talking to that hardware, I am not able to even guess. But have a look at http://adq.livejournal.com/101420.html

-- Bluetooth. The Blade's Bluetooth seems to be a bit of a mess. Anyone seen a list of profiles that it supports? Even with 2.2 (Jellyfish7) it seems that pressing the headset button doesn't properly generate an 'event' for apps like Vlingo to use. This has issues for car use, voice dialling, etc. And it seems to have the Android Bluetooth bug (that causes a reboot on turning off Bluetooth after using the brilliant Vlingo). The bug is said to be fixed in Android 2.2.1 --- so when do we Blade users get that?

@digisol - there are bluetooth keyboard drivers in Market. BlueKeyboardJP (free version) has been reported to work with the Blade (once you understand the install). http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...s-for-sf-blade/

@MrPuddington - Dvorak keyboard free in the Market. Personally, I see no advantage in using a layout designed for the left hand's four fingers to be constantly resting on vowel keys. Although logical for a full-size keyboard, this is not much good with a tiny little duo-touch (two point) screen like the Blade's. But, hey, individual preferences...

For those suffering other keyboards (Gingerbread is pretty good, but lacks cursor control keys), try Vlingo (its free) which does an awesome job of dictation, and with a keyboard IME, you can dictate into any app ... it is amazing.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest womble_sanfran

I would love a decent 3g/2g switcher widget. The one in switchpro just brings up the settings where you change it, I want to change it just by tapping the widget. I understand this is due to something in Android but maybe a ROM builder can get round this?

Cheers

Guest shadowninty
I've already asked Kallt to include USB host support in his builds, and of course the modules too to enable HID, USB storage, USB video out, etc.

poor Kallt LOL

Any chance of building the power widget into the status bar drop down?

post-618544-1295015058_thumb.png

(Screenshot from T-Mob Pulse running Cyanogen from here)

mmmmm ....Nice!

- Chris

agree!

Guest digisol

I'm liking the ideas coming through here lads! Let's try to keep it development specific (e.g. not asking for stuff that can be easily added to a ROM afterwards using an app).

@oh!dougal - I'll try BlueKeyboardJP again. Had it on the stock 2.1 with no joy, but haven't tried it again since using 2.2 Alpha 3. I'll study the link you sent me... - thanks

UPDATE - BlueKeyboardJP has failed on me. I can't open the settings bit - get the message that the application has stopped unexpectedly. Tried uninstall and reinstall - same issue. Gah. ;)

Edited by digisol

Hi.

Iam creating a new Mod for the zte blade. I have taken some of your wishes in consideration when creating the mod. It currently has the following features:

Lockscreen (Standard 2.2 with following functions/settings)

• Music Controls
  • Hide Carrier
  • Hide Clock
  • Hide date
  • Hide status (Charging, etc)
  • Enable/Disable Unlocking with menu-button

Statusbar
    • Display/Hide Power widget

Buttons

• Long press back kills foregroundapp
      • Change song with volume down/up when the device is "sleeping".

Quiet-Hours:

[*]Enable/Disable Quiet Hours

[*]Start/Stop time

[*]Mute vibrations

[*]Mute notifications

Ive would appreciate if you had more suggestions for features to be included in the mod.

Expect the mod to be released in a few days. It currently needs some more testing. It seems stable i have used it daily for the last week. But it has some small bugs and security issues that needs to be fixed before releasing it.

Sincerly 0x90

Guest MrPuddington
@MrPuddington - Dvorak keyboard free in the Market. Personally, I see no advantage in using a layout designed for the left hand's four fingers to be constantly resting on vowel keys. Although logical for a full-size keyboard, this is not much good with a tiny little duo-touch (two point) screen like the Blade's. But, hey, individual preferences...

Fair enough, but it is what I know and what I am used to. I imagine it would work quite well with Swype, but I have no way of testing it (or convincing Swype to try it). I would be just as happy with the keys in alphabetic order.

Nice to see that using a Bluetooth keyboard is possible. I will give that a try.

Edited by MrPuddington