Recalibrate screen

Guest Ralph Martin

Guest Ralph Martin

I'm getting a problem where at times the phone thinks my finger is way to the right of where it is.

Anyone know how to recalibrate the touchscreen?

I'm getting a problem where at times the phone thinks my finger is way to the right of where it is.

Anyone know how to recalibrate the touchscreen?

I don't think you do calibrate touch-screen at all. It is (if I understand) a simple grid so it knows where your finger is, unlike resistive which has to calculate it.

Guest Ralph Martin

I find it hard to believe this is a software issue as I have had it both on the Stock Orange ROM and on the JJ release 7 ROM. It seems to be an (intermittent) hardware issue...

I find it hard to believe this is a software issue as I have had it both on the Stock Orange ROM and on the JJ release 7 ROM. It seems to be an (intermittent) hardware issue...

It sounds like the digitzer is faulty, download something like multitouch visualizer 2 - you'll probably find pressing in a certain location of the screen with reasonble pressure (or a long press) will cause it to act up.

Guest Ralph Martin
ZTE has a built in touch screen test, type *983*0# into your phone dialer and click touchpaint test

If you have a ROM which hasn't removed the app for it...

Guest Ralph Martin
It sounds like the digitzer is faulty, download something like multitouch visualizer 2 - you'll probably find pressing in a certain location of the screen with reasonble pressure (or a long press) will cause it to act up.

Got multitouch visualizer 2. At the moment the screen seems fine, although sometimes multitouch can sometimes get confused and return x1 y2, x2 y1 instead of x1 y1, x2 y2. I'll see what happens next time i get the "way off error".

Edited by Ralph Martin

Guest Ralph Martin
HTC IME has a calibration tool. (settings>keyboards>HTC IME>Text input>Calibration tool)

Strange. No Calibration Tool submenu under Text Input here on JJL7 with HTC IME ...

Interestingly, after a few days, this error seems to have cleared itself, so maybe there is some sort of auto calibration going on? Or maybe I just have an intermittent hardware fault.

HTC IME has a calibration tool. (settings>keyboards>HTC IME>Text input>Calibration tool)

I'm pretty sure that is to compensate for parallax error when you think you are pressing a key on the on-screen keyboard, and it looks like you are, but in fact your fingers are so big compared to a stylus that you don't realise that you are mistaken.

So it is to adapt to pretend that you are touching where you meant to touch, and not because the screen needs calibrating itself.

Guest oh!dougal

About HTC_IME (Calibration)

Strange. No Calibration Tool submenu under Text Input here on JJL7 with HTC IME ...

Interestingly, after a few days, this error seems to have cleared itself, so maybe there is some sort of auto calibration going on? Or maybe I just have an intermittent hardware fault.

It needs you to scroll right down to the bottom of the list of Text Input settings within HTE_IMC Settings within Language & Keyboard within Settings ...

You probably rebooted your phone to clear the weirdness. Tech self-support, lesson 1. ;)

I'm pretty sure that is to compensate for parallax error when you think you are pressing a key on the on-screen keyboard, and it looks like you are, but in fact your fingers are so big compared to a stylus that you don't realise that you are mistaken.

So it is to adapt to pretend that you are touching where you meant to touch, and not because the screen needs calibrating itself.

I think that's correct.

The capacitive-touch screen should NOT require 'calibrating' like a resistive-touch screen.

And that HTC Calibration, would be +only+ for the HTC keyboard.

Guest ololizoz

You have to install "Clicker.apk". That is the keyboard calib app

Guest Ralph Martin
It needs you to scroll right down to the bottom of the list of Text Input settings within HTE_IMC Settings within Language & Keyboard within Settings ...

No, it is NOT there.

You probably rebooted your phone to clear the weirdness. Tech self-support, lesson 1. ;)

This persisted across multiple reboots and even a TPT ROM flashing.

And that HTC Calibration, would be +only+ for the HTC keyboard.

Yes, clearly not real recalibration, just a fudge for fat fingers.

I'm just developed the same issue. I can say for certainty that it is not fat finger issue. .........I'm trying to tap the letter A on the keyboard, and it shows as if I'm tapping L. I've done the rebooting, which helped for a bit, and gave the screen a nice cleaning, which also helped for a bit - but it still comes back.

perhaps our phones are possesed, since it is intermitten.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sarahjax

Same problem here, unable to answer calls at times as when i touch the slider to answer it dissappers and highlights to the right of the screen

Frustrated is an understatment

my SF has gotten worse and worse over the past week. Now at times, it doesn't sense the touch at all....As a result, I called Orange today, and they are sending me out a replacement phone tomorrow.

all I need to do now is unroot the phone and install all the orange bloatware before giving orange the faulty phone. ;)