Desire HD gets unusable as it gets so slow, constantly needs restarting

Guest dwattsy21

Guest dwattsy21

Hi all,

I figured that with the processor in this thing, it would be pretty slick all the time. But after my phone has been on for about an hour, it starts to get really laggy. I have tried using a task killer and it doesnt really help. i don't have that many apps installed. I am using it the same as I used my hero, and I have to say that was a lot faster somehow??

I haven't upgraded to a custom modaco rom yet, as it was a right ball ache for me rooting my san fransisco, so am waiting until there is a step by step guide by someone on here. Does the custom rom improve this?

Cheers,

Dave

Guest LoneThread

I've not heard of anyone that is experiencing issues like this. My Desire HD stays super fast even a week without a restart.

I suggest you install OSMonitor to see what is using all of your CPU power.

Guest dwattsy21
I've not heard of anyone that is experiencing issues like this. My Desire HD stays super fast even a week without a restart.

I suggest you install OSMonitor to see what is using all of your CPU power.

Cheers, just tried installing it, and it shows everything with a load of 0%, except OS monitor! I'm surprised i have a problem, I don't have that mny apps installed and don't leave loads of stuff running. Maybe I'll try a factory reset.

Guest dwattsy21
Is your Desire HD branded? Maybe something is wrong with the ROM its running?

Yea it's an orange one. Just tried flashing the clockwork recovery, but don't really feel confident enough so gave up. Don't know where to get this eng hboot thing from, or what it is. Is yours rooted? Did you just install this hboot thing and follow pauls steps?

Guest LoneThread

I haven't need to flash mine as its unbranded, nor root it so I can't advise on that. If your prepared to wait, others will post. If not, posting on XDA-Devolopers will get you a quick reply.

Turn on USB debugging. You phone may have the init bug where this process consumes a ton of CPU. Turning off USB debugging works around the problem.

Edited by Daz555

Guest dwattsy21
Turn on USB debugging. You phone may have the init bug where this process consumes a ton of CPU. Turning off USB debugging works around the problem.

Cheers, so should I have it turned on or off? It has been turned off so far

Guest LoneThread

In the case of the /init bug, USB Debugging has to be turned on

Its worth a try I suppose, but I doubt this is the issue. If it was the /init bug your phone would be slow as soon as you turn it on, and you said it takes about a hour before it slows down. Plus OSMonitor would show you the CPU usage the /init bug causes.

Guest dwattsy21

Cheers guys. I seem to have somehow fixed it my ballsing up rooting my phone. Followed pauls steps but eventually it wasn't letting me install the recovery image, and now it seems to be working fine! Don't know what the hell I did, but it's working like a dream now. I'm wondering if it is worth the hassle of rooting....