Changing apps within ROMS plus other questions

Guest eze911

Hi All,

First post here and wanted to say great work to all the developers on all the ROMs posted here. I'm currently using FLB R6 and like it but find the standard email app (for hotmail) isnt as good as the app in Pauls Alpha 3 ROM i was using before. It takes ages to receive email and has problems sending it seems (anyone else experience this?)

So my questions are:

1. can i take the email app out of Pauls image and put it into the FLB ROM system\app directory and use that version instead or will it cause problems. There is definately a difference in file size so there must be something different. The FLB email.apk is 622Kb and the alpha3 rom is 930kb.

2. do i have to reflash the entire ROM or could i use the same method for fixing the contacts recognition issue (which works perfectly now ;)) by copying the email app to the system\app directory and clearing the data & cache for email and doing a resync?

3. Lastly, why are there so many differences in the file sizes of other "standard" applications? i thought these are all standard apps so surely if they all at the latest version they should be the same size? If you look at the app directory, most of the apps dont match between say FLB R6 and Alpha3

Any ideas? Cheers

Does no one know the answer or is this such a noob question no one can be bothered to reply? Main question is why are there big file size differences between apps in rom releases? Fyi I copied the other email app and it seems to be working fine

Guest IronDoc
Does no one know the answer or is this such a noob question no one can be bothered to reply? Main question is why are there big file size differences between apps in rom releases? Fyi I copied the other email app and it seems to be working fine

Bit of both and you posted it in the wrong section. General questions go in the top level blade forum.

1. Mostly, though some apps need compatible libs (files in another location) to work. I don't know if you can replace email. Just try it and keep the original in case it doesn't work.

2. Yes

3. There are lots of versions of apps floating around. I'd imagine it also depends on the compression used for the zip.