22/May [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
So seeing as I cannot get Recovery Manager back onto the phone, my only option is TPT? I will look into that.

Edited to add into the most recent post: Could you please advise as to whether I would have any success in taking the phone back to the retailer (Argos) and asking for a replacement due to faulty hardware? I apologise for bombarding you with questions, but I am going to the wedding of a close friend in a few days time, and really need a working phone for the purpose of organisation as well as pictures and video, so if there is any chance of being able to resolve this quickly by trying to obtain a replacement then I may attempt to do that.

Get the replacement - if its vital

Guest Fou-lu

Hey, currently got 2.1.5.8 cwm installed, so to upgrade it to new cwm just flash it same way as a rom/theme?

also will 3.x.x.x restore any backups done with 2.x.x.x versions? just needa assurance on them before flashing again :D

Guest pvtcody

Many thanks for the video guide,worked a treat to flash my orignal SanFran to Swedish Spring RLS2 Rom ,but i have a problem,Universal Androot (all versions) no longer works just says "Failed! No~~~Fu goo~~" when i try to root Could anybody please help

Guest womble_sanfran

I was of the understanding that custome roms came ready rooted so your swedish snow is already rooted so why wouldyou want to run universal androot?

Guest james_f
Download to your Phones SD Card

[*]UniversalAndroot v1.6.1

I've fallen at the first hurdle - this download link isn't working for me from the xda-developers post (althought the UniversalAndroot-1.6.2-beta5.apk download does work). If I look around on the web, there are various other copies of the file available - none of the ones I've tried work either, and they could be dodgy anyway. So two questions:

1. Where can I can find a working download of v1.6.1?

2. What is its md5? It doesn't seem to be given in your guide, or on the xda-developers post either.

Thanks.

Guest StevenHarperUK
I've fallen at the first hurdle - this download link isn't working for me from the xda-developers post (althought the UniversalAndroot-1.6.2-beta5.apk download does work). If I look around on the web, there are various other copies of the file available - none of the ones I've tried work either, and they could be dodgy anyway. So two questions:

1. Where can I can find a working download of v1.6.1?

2. What is its md5? It doesn't seem to be given in your guide, or on the xda-developers post either.

Thanks.

The one attached to the Post

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598

Direct link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment...mp;d=1281616832

They work.

I have added MD5 to the FAQ sticky

What is an MD5

MD5sum is a way of checking that the file you have downloaded has not been corrupted in any way.

when you run the MD5sum command against a files the response is the files "fingerprint".

If this differs from the expected MD5, then you need to re-download the file.

MD5 can be checked directly on the device by using a file manager like astro - if you look at the details of a file an MD5 is generated

Windows

Get your md5sum utility from:
http://www.md5summer.org/md5sum.zip
(COMMAND LINE VERSION)

Extract this Zip file contents and put them into the folder you want to run the command in.

Guest james_f
The one attached to the Post

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598

Direct link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment...mp;d=1281616832

They work.

I have added MD5 to the FAQ sticky

Thanks for the speedy reply. I worked out what the problem was with the download - my virus scanner was quarantining the file (without telling me!) because it claims that it contains AndroidOS_TOOR.A. I have now downloaded it.

I wasn't clear enough about the md5. I know what an md5 checksum is, but I do not know what the actual checksum of the file in question is. Although the several of the posts you link to give the md5 checksums for the files they provide, the xda-developers post does not give the checksum for UniversalAndroot_1.6.1.apk so far as I can see.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Could anybody tell me why you have to remove the battery between every ROM-change? Is it that vital?

TBH - I skip it - but 1 or more people have found that they get bootloops when they didn't

Guest Poodha
TBH - I skip it - but 1 or more people have found that they get bootloops when they didn't

Thanks for the answer. Heard that the batterycover on blade easily can get flimsy, so prefer not to open it too much.

Guest lazyliam

anyone any link to UniversalAndroot v1.6.1 bar xda the site wont let me do anything but look around i cant download post are anything im signed in ok dont know what the problem any link are other easy clean way to root please

Guest StevenHarperUK
anyone any link to UniversalAndroot v1.6.1 bar xda the site wont let me do anything but look around i cant download post are anything im signed in ok dont know what the problem any link are other easy clean way to root please

I have simply downloaded it from XDA - and put it up there - the Authors site http://blog.23corner.com/tag/universalandroot/ is down ATM

http://www.multiupload.com/GMMLSXFUIK

Guest DWaldie

Just registered here following a link from elsewhere. Getting an OSF tomorrow and I want to install an new ROM and get rid of the Orange rubbish. The first line of this thread says stop if you have GEN2. I don't want to take any risks so, where do I get the ROMs if the OSF turns out to be GEN2?

Guest StevenHarperUK
Just registered here following a link from elsewhere. Getting an OSF tomorrow and I want to install an new ROM and get rid of the Orange rubbish. The first line of this thread says stop if you have GEN2. I don't want to take any risks so, where do I get the ROMs if the OSF turns out to be GEN2?

If your buying a UK Phone with 2.1 it will be GEN1

some 2.2's are GEN2 (Swedish Comviq phones and also Bulgarian phones)

You will be fine : get downloading

• Ask Mr Pig : APP
  • Androot : APP
  • Recovery Manager : APP
  • Clockwork : IMG
  • a ROM : ZIP

Get it all ready for tomorrow

While your there get the MD5sum program and check all the MD5's

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

22nd March - Updated to Recovery Manager 0.34b, Updated to Clockwork 3.0.1.4, Added link to Androot (multiupload)

Guest DWaldie
If your buying a UK Phone with 2.1 it will be GEN1

some 2.2's are GEN2 (Swedish Comviq phones and also Bulgarian phones)

You will be fine : get downloading

• Ask Mr Pig : APP
  • Androot : APP
  • Recovery Manager : APP
  • Clockwork : IMG
  • a ROM : ZIP

Get it all ready for tomorrow

While your there get the MD5sum program and check all the MD5's

Many thanks for the info and quick reply.

Guest solidchips

Hi

I'm Faisal. Recently bought ZTE u-v880 from china. It turned out to be GEN2 with pigfish app. Anyone pls help me installing a custom rom on it. The chinese stock rom rally sucks as there are no gapps preinstalled.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi

I'm Faisal. Recently bought ZTE u-v880 from china. It turned out to be GEN2 with pigfish app. Anyone pls help me installing a custom rom on it. The chinese stock rom rally sucks as there are no gapps preinstalled.

Just wait a few more days / weeks - Gen2 Roms will be here soon - Watch this thread / forum

Guest ak167777

Just wanner asking something about install a rom~><~

Thanks for the guide, I have tried install the rom with this guide successfully

but just wanner to ask a question

Is it better to make a partition ext3/ext4 before install a rom?

Thanks~