22/May [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
Just wanner asking something about install a rom~><~

Thanks for the guide, I have tried install the rom with this guide successfully

but just wanner to ask a question

Is it better to make a partition ext3/ext4 before install a rom?

Thanks~

Hmmm that's a tricky question - ext4 is better for solid state - so I would say ext4

However ext3 is more compatible with other ROMS's / PC's

But if your sticking with one ROM that does support ext4 then I would go with EXT4

Guest StevenHarperUK

Hi Everyone - I think a separate thread for the GEN2 phones will stop people putting the wrong files on their devices.

Alternative to this is putting all the instructions in this Thread - but I don't like the idea of that.

Suggestions?

My computer won't let me download Androot from any source that you link to

Detected Items - Trojan:Unix/Rootkit

I don't think I'll proceed any further........

Edited by sc52

Guest StevenHarperUK
My computer won't let me download Androot from any source that you link to

Detected Items - Trojan:Unix/Rootkit

I don't think I'll proceed any further........

It is a UNIX rootkit - that's the idea - The Virus Checker you have has detected that the Linux File (Unix) is designed to break the security model that is in Unix

Well that in a sentence is what Androot is supposed to do.

However it's all up to you what you do with your phone.

It is a UNIX rootkit - that's the idea - The Virus Checker you have has detected that the Linux File (Unix) is designed to break the security model that is in Unix

Well that in a sentence is what Androot is supposed to do.

However it's all up to you what you do with your phone.

How am I supposed to know that? When the computer says "trojan" it's time to take notice and get rid of whatever is causing the problem.

Perhaps you should add that to your guide?

It's very good of you to do this and you clearly spend a long time doing it, but to me as somebody who knows absolutely nothing on this topic, it still isn't an easy process to follow.

I initially followed the guide on Orange san francisco .co.uk because it seemed much easier (for me) to follow than yours, only to find that there was nothing in it about backing up the stock rom until I'd almost gone too far. Now I don't know enough to determine whether it is my misunderstanding of the case or not, so I erred on the side of caution and just stopped where I was and came over to your guide.

That's when I hit the trojan warning sign and since there was nothing about it in your guide stopped again.

As far as I'm concerned, with my level of knowledge, neither guide is simple or clear enough.

Guest StevenHarperUK
As far as I'm concerned, with my level of knowledge, neither guide is simple or clear enough.

Your right : I do need to add a warning about some Virus checkers - I will.

However on the subject of making it more simple:

How can I make it more simple.

If you follow steps 1 & 2 - then your done

In future you just use Recovery Manager (or Clockwork) to install a new ROM.

Any tips on how to make it simpler - or just pointing out which bits are confusing - would be very handy.

Latest Update

26th March - Added warning about Androot getting detected as a Virus

Steven,

Thanks.

Apologies for the last post - was up until 1 trying to sort it last night - so a bit grumpy this morning!

I'll carry on with your method and report back when I'm done.

Cheers.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Steven,

Thanks.

Apologies for the last post - was up until 1 trying to sort it last night - so a bit grumpy this morning!

I'll carry on with your method and report back when I'm done.

Cheers.

No Offence taken.

Follow through steps 1 and 2 - It should all be plain sailing.

No Offence taken.

Follow through steps 1 and 2 - It should all be plain sailing.

It was all going well until I tried to Recovery Install - I get an error message - "Currently Installed Recovery - Unrecognised"

When following the guide from OrangeSanFrancisco.co.uk I ended up downloading and installing an earlier version 3.0.0.6. Since then I set the phone to default settings and reformated the SD card.

Has this anything to do with it?

Thanks

Guest StevenHarperUK
It was all going well until I tried to Recovery Install - I get an error message - "Currently Installed Recovery - Unrecognised"

When following the guide from OrangeSanFrancisco.co.uk I ended up downloading and installing an earlier version 3.0.0.6. Since then I set the phone to default settings and reformated the SD card.

Has this anything to do with it?

Thanks

No - you just need to hit the Menu Button and choose Update Database

This goes and grabs all the latest MD5's of the recoveries available.

It may be possible that the one you have is not in SEB's list - if so I recommend that you get the 3.0.1.4 from (recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img)

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...blade-oled-tft/

No - you just need to hit the Menu Button and choose Update Database

This goes and grabs all the latest MD5's of the recoveries available.

It may be possible that the one you have is not in SEB's list - if so I recommend that you get the 3.0.1.4 from (recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img)

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...blade-oled-tft/

Recovery manager stopped opening - had to force shut - so uninstalled and am in the process of reinstalling.

I had downloaded 3.0.1.4 as per instructions

edit - now i'm getting - Sorry! the application recovery manager has stopped unexpectedly - force close.

Edited by sc52

Guest StevenHarperUK
Recovery manager stopped opening - had to force shut - so uninstalled and am in the process of reinstalling.

I had downloaded 3.0.1.4 as per instructions

edit - now i'm getting - Sorry! the application recovery manager has stopped unexpectedly - force close.

Ok Simply Uninstall and re-install recovery manager

Edit

Also Use Task manager to Kill Superuser

Guest Phace81

I'm having trouble with the Recovery Manager saying that it doesn't recognise the recovery and I can't install any firmware as it says "Error, You need to install a custom recovery before you can install a new Firmware". This after installing recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img and following this guide with step 1.

Update: All the md5sum are right. Trying to read in other threads to find fix.

Edited by Phace81

Guest StevenHarperUK
I'm having trouble with the Recovery Manager saying that it doesn't recognise the recovery and I can't install any firmware as it says "Error, You need to install a custom recovery before you can install a new Firmware". This after installing recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img and following this guide with step 1.

Update: All the md5sum are right. Trying to read in other threads to find fix.

Hitting MENU then UPDATE DATABASE - should fix that

can you boot into clockwork - Hold VOLUME DOWN while booting?

Guest StevenHarperUK
I have pressed Update Database and I can't boot into Clockwork with Volume Down. This is very strange...

Re-download the clockwork.img file and then in Recovery Manager go to the Recovery tab and choose install Recovery.

Your original download must have been damaged

Guest Phace81

So the .img file and be corrupt eventhough the md5sum is correct?

I will try to redownload anyways, so just asking :D

Update: Redownloaded with the same result. Doesn't work...

Update2: Can't do it with option 5 either, I hold the volume up when starting, but the phone doesn't stay in Greed Droid, it just keeps booting.

Update3: I got the fastboot working with Volume Down and not Up. Figures B)

Edited by Phace81

Guest Steep

Just wanted to say thanks to Steven Harper, I bought an OSF basically to play around with and following your instructions in the first post I rooted and flashed 2.3 last night. All smooth and trouble free :D

+1 on the thanks to Steven.

All went well following your advice. I went with Swedish spring RLS3, but boy oh boy does it eat through the battery life even if I kill all applications and let it go to sleep!! There must be something running somewhere.

I'm about to flash another blade to RLS4 - be interesting to see if there's any difference.

Cheers

Guest StevenHarperUK
If I want to install an official rom I could install it only like a custom or there is easier method

The TPT is good it does it all in one go - but the same as custom ROM is they way I would do it