22/May [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Hi Steven,

I've flashed 2 blades - one with swedish spring 3, the other swedish spring 4 without issue. However when i did a 3rd I used the same google account as I did on one of the previous 2. This phone had been used by my daughter who had "altered" it quite a lot, so when the 3rd blade synced I lost lots of apps etc.

I find I can't reflash as all the original files downloaded - astro file manager, the rom and recovery manager all have question marks next to them when viewing the sd card using the filer app.

I have a couple of questions -

can I get back to the shipped rom? From here I could I assume just start all over again from your first post.

how do I reflash the rom from here without doing the above? Do I mount - delete all the ? files in the sd card - reload and go through your instructions in post one - but won't I by doing this loose the original orange rom that I'm hoping was backed up during the initial installation of swedish spring?

Sorry if a bit confused but so am I!

Cheers

Edited by sc52

Guest Mariner123

A big thank you Steven.

I followed word for word the 'clockwork using recovery manager' option with no major issues just the recovery manager forcing a close, again followed the simple instructions and Swedish Spring installed.

Guest ramjambam

Thank you! It took me a bit of time to do this, my first, update. The instructions were clear, but there is a lot in there.

One thing, I can't get wifi to connect from the mod you recommended. I don't have any waste basket on my home screen either. Do others have the same experience?

Guest carloguitaro

Much thanks steven and all the guys adding to this site

I got an OSF recently after checking out this site and thought it'd be really good to get into modding and the android system so this is a bit of a BIG learning curve, have tried about 8 times to put a custom Rom onto my OSF, I've used this guide, paul's guide, Orangesanfrancisco and another excellent short guide I just found tonight on this site; I've tried JJ, Froyo and swedish spring all unfortunately to no avail. It always boots up/loads into the basic Orange Rom. Please please any help greatly appreciated I've been checking around and it does seem like my build number is giving some people problems like me, if I had hair I'd be pulling it out! the phone specs are 2.1 update 1, Baseband P729BB01, kernal 2.6.29, build number OUK P729BV1.0.0B10, no idea what screen it is (Lead/Touchy??) it's a grey case bought direct from Orange. Thought I was stupid at first, (I am of course) but it does seem like these models are impervious to these types of updating somehow or at best a hit and miss affair. I really like the phone and would be absolutly chuffed to get it working on 2.2 android and lose all that awful Orange bloaty stuff. Any help much appreciated

Guest Fou-lu
Much thanks steven and all the guys adding to this site

I got an OSF recently after checking out this site and thought it'd be really good to get into modding and the android system so this is a bit of a BIG learning curve, have tried about 8 times to put a custom Rom onto my OSF, I've used this guide, paul's guide, Orangesanfrancisco and another excellent short guide I just found tonight on this site; I've tried JJ, Froyo and swedish spring all unfortunately to no avail. It always boots up/loads into the basic Orange Rom. Please please any help greatly appreciated I've been checking around and it does seem like my build number is giving some people problems like me, if I had hair I'd be pulling it out! the phone specs are 2.1 update 1, Baseband P729BB01, kernal 2.6.29, build number OUK P729BV1.0.0B10, no idea what screen it is (Lead/Touchy??) it's a grey case bought direct from Orange. Thought I was stupid at first, (I am of course) but it does seem like these models are impervious to these types of updating somehow or at best a hit and miss affair. I really like the phone and would be absolutly chuffed to get it working on 2.2 android and lose all that awful Orange bloaty stuff. Any help much appreciated

what are doing to install it?

root>recovery manager>install clockwork>backup>full wipe > install rom?

Guest OwenBurnett

My build number is:

YESSS_P729VV1.0.0B02

What screen do I have?

I already installed clockwork recovery and backup ed the system.

it seams to have also backup ed the user data? is this correct?

It created the following files

boot.img

cache.img

data.img

recovery.img

system.img

and and MD5 Checksumm file.

When I would restore this backup would it as well restore the user data (data.img I assume)?

An other Question I have, when I change something using root explorer in the file system does the change affect directly the system image?

Or will it be lost after a factory reset?

Also should I upload the stock firmware some ware (its from YESSS austria) ?

Guest Fou-lu
My build number is:

YESSS_P729VV1.0.0B02

What screen do I have?

I already installed clockwork recovery and backup ed the system.

it seams to have also backup ed the user data? is this correct?

It created the following files

boot.img

cache.img

data.img

recovery.img

system.img

and and MD5 Checksumm file.

When I would restore this backup would it as well restore the user data (data.img I assume)?

An other Question I have, when I change something using root explorer in the file system does the change affect directly the system image?

Or will it be lost after a factory reset?

Also should I upload the stock firmware some ware (its from YESSS austria) ?

If you bought the phone brand New after December, it's 80% TFT, the YESS build is already dumped on Sebastians thread, so that's ok.

about the backup, yes that's normal, it will restore user data from apps and everything before you changed rom...

Guest Black20VT

Hi all,

I'm having issues installing an update. I've followed this guide and another to a T and still having issues with the software itself.

For example;

ROM Manager v4.0.0.6 gives me - An error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!

Recovery Manager gives me - SORRY - The application Recovery Manager (process com.podtwo.RecoveryManager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Guest Fou-lu
Hi all,

I'm having issues installing an update. I've followed this guide and another to a T and still having issues with the software itself.

For example;

ROM Manager v4.0.0.6 gives me - An error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!

Recovery Manager gives me - SORRY - The application Recovery Manager (process com.podtwo.RecoveryManager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

you need to root your phone again, after a reboot it generally un-roots, use androot once more and see what happens?

Guest Black20VT
you need to root your phone again, after a reboot it generally un-roots, use androot once more and see what happens?

Ah ha, perfect, worked a treat! :)

Guest fickleama

Hi,

dont wanna risk sounding stupid, been playing around with my san fran all day, getting used to this installing ROMs and have learnt quite a bit. However, i have flashed the latest swedish spring zip and it's all gone on fine, but i also downloaded all the recommended add ons surrounding it. How does one go about adding these on....?thats what i'm confused about. If any1 would care to enlighten met that'd be lovely :). U may have to keep it simple terms lol, not quite gettin all the kernel business etc yet. I'm guessing it's thru clockwork recovery mode.....?

thanks u:D

Guest solidchips

Simply download the addons you need and flash them in clockwork recovery mode.

Swedish_Spring_RLS5_ahb_overclocked.zip : If u need overclocking.

Swedish_Spring_RLS4_blueish_kbd.zip: Makeup for the android keyboard.

Swedish_Spring_RLS4_aosp_contacts.zip: AOSP Dialer/contacts.

Swedish_Spring_RLS4_deskclock.zip: Replaces stock clock with deskclock app.

Edited by solidchips

Guest carloguitaro
what are doing to install it?

root>recovery manager>install clockwork>backup>full wipe > install rom?

Thanks for the reply mate, I have Androoted no prob, clockwork back up no prob, I wiped cache and factory settings (the two options that come up in the Rom manager app and I've also followed Steven Harpers steps to full wipe), I install the Rom (from the Zip File, I'm on mac so I compressed the files after download back to zip files) then it just fails saying install aborted and loads up into the Orange rubbish please any help much appreciated

Guest mbgames1

i bought one of these yesterday,did the unlock no problem,downloaded mr pigfish to see what gen(one) my phone was,downloaded the 4 files needed to customize it to my pc, connected the usb sent them to my sd card got the first 2 done, when i get to recovery manager and to install clockwork one it comes up on my phone currently installed recovrey "unrecognised".so i don't even get to try to install the 4th.

i watched the steve harper video and when he got on about the same md5 numbers i was even more confused.as you can probably tell from whats above i'm out of my depth and some help would really be appreciated.thanks

Guest shah_ram

:) :) :( i love you StevenHarperUK finally i`m 2.2

your Guide was the best and easiest way to upgrade the blade to 2.2

Edited by shah_ram

Guest diordnaBLADE

Hi, I'm just giving this a try now. I'm at the Recovery Install stage (03:22 on the video). After I select the recovery I want to install I get the message "Currently installed Recovery: Unrecognised"

Is this a problem? It's not Unrecognised on the video. Also, when I go to Install Firmware, I get the message: "You need to install a custom recovery before you can install a new Firmfare!".

I got my recovery file from here: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...blade-oled-tft/

Any idea guys?

Cheers :)

Edited by diordnaBLADE

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi, I'm just giving this a try now. I'm at the Recovery Install stage (03:22 on the video). After I select the recovery I want to install I get the message "Currently installed Recovery: Unrecognised"

Is this a problem? It's not Unrecognised on the video. Also, when I go to Install Firmware, I get the message: "You need to install a custom recovery before you can install a new Firmfare!".

I got my recovery file from here: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...blade-oled-tft/

Any idea guys?

Cheers :)

Like the guide says : hit the MENU button and to the update

Guest ilias4780

Thank you very much dude!!! It worked great with recovery manager. I installed japanese jellyfish and it is great!! Thank you again!

I have done this, but I am still getting "Currently installed Recovery: Unrecognised"

Any ideas?

EDIT: Got it to work. Not sure if its because I moved the *.img to the card root or because I had the usb plugged in (possibly usb debugging on)

Edited by CD.

Guest diordnaBLADE

ok sorry dude. I thought I followed the guide to the letter as I was super-careful. But I must have screwed it up. :mellow:

Unfortunately the recovery manager keeps crashing for me now. I've tried reinstalling, but it still crashes.

Is there another option for me? Maybe a different recovery manager?

Thanks.

Guest StevenHarperUK
ok sorry dude. I thought I followed the guide to the letter as I was super-careful. But I must have screwed it up. :mellow:

Unfortunately the recovery manager keeps crashing for me now. I've tried reinstalling, but it still crashes.

Is there another option for me? Maybe a different recovery manager?

Thanks.

re-root your device - uninstall Recovery Manager - re-download ans install again

Also try z4root if that does not work.

Your alternative is it use a TPT - see the Known ROMS

Guest Wasp_Box

Hi All,

First post to say a big thank you to Steven H for the excellent guide and all those involved in providing the software. After much reading I took the leap and upgraded my Blade today. Had a slight hiccup when Recovery Manager (v 0.36b) decided to come to an unexpected stop but, thanks to this guide, I was able to continue using Clockwork manually.

Installed Swedish Spring and I'm really impressed with the improvement in the Blade - it seems faster, slicker and generally better.

The only downside I can see is the danger of turning into a ROM obsessive.

Many thanks once again for a great job.

Guest MARKUK1

hi there

its another zte blade new owner here. have experiance with wm6.5 but never flashed roms in andriod. so am lil bit confused the files mentioed in first post i can not find reason may be they are replaced by higher versions as mentioned in first post

this is wot in the first post

Download to your Phones SD Card

UniversalAndroot v1.6.1 (http://www.multiupload.com/GMMLSXFUIK)

ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b (check you get the right one - 0.34b)

Clockwork 3.0.2.4 (recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g1.img) - not the ZIP file

and when i click to download i get upgraded versions like zte blade recovery 0.36b and

cloclwork 3.0.2.8 blade g1 image files

my questions is dose it make diff if i use 0.36b and clockwork 3.0.2.8 ?

thanks in advance for all your help . :o

and yes i am scared to do this lol :mellow:

Guest diordnaBLADE
re-root your device - uninstall Recovery Manager - re-download ans install again

Also try z4root if that does not work.

Your alternative is it use a TPT - see the Known ROMS

I just got it working :mellow: yeah I noticed it was not rooted anymore, once it was rooted everything worked perfectly!

I have SS running at the moment. And I have to admit I'm really I pressed with the results.

My unlimited appreciation and gratitude to everyone who worked so hard to provide this awesome option and support service for free. Bloody awesome!