22/May [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest nab101

Hi,

I was following the procedure to 'Install Clockwork using Recovery Manager' and I seem to be having a problem regarding MD5 Sum of recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g1.img.

You have written that the MD5 Sum should be 8bdd0433953788a75bebd0c2899de0df, while Sebastian404 has written that the MD5 of this file is 456ad01a7c27d75cacfb78f95c37a980 (http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-roms-rom-customisation/327215/recovery-3-0-2-4-clockworkmod-recovery-for-zte-blade-oled-tft/).

While I am getting fba1b76e1128525dfdccf728a0b5f215. I have checked and downloaded thrice and have checked with both ASTRO File Manager & md5sum utility (COMMAND LINE VERSION).

So I am really confused regarding this. Please help.

Guest StevenHarperUK
hi there

its another zte blade new owner here. have experiance with wm6.5 but never flashed roms in andriod. so am lil bit confused the files mentioed in first post i can not find reason may be they are replaced by higher versions as mentioned in first post

this is wot in the first post

Download to your Phones SD Card

UniversalAndroot v1.6.1 (http://www.multiupload.com/GMMLSXFUIK)

ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b (check you get the right one - 0.34b)

Clockwork 3.0.2.4 (recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g1.img) - not the ZIP file

and when i click to download i get upgraded versions like zte blade recovery 0.36b and

cloclwork 3.0.2.8 blade g1 image files

my questions is dose it make diff if i use 0.36b and clockwork 3.0.2.8 ?

thanks in advance for all your help . :o

and yes i am scared to do this lol :mellow:

Using newer versions is fine - you can get the old ones (clockwork 3.0.2.4) if you want - see link above - however you will have no problems with newer versions.

If your new - stick to the versions mentioned (where possible)

Guest nab101
He has moved that one to the Archive

http://android.podtwo.com/recovery/archived/

You want this one

http://android.podtwo.com/recovery/archive...-blade-gen1.img (456ad01a7c27d75cacfb78f95c37a980)

Hi thanks for your reply.

I downloaded from the link you gave and now indeed I am getting (456ad01a7c27d75cacfb78f95c37a980).

But then this is a 3.71 MB file, while this link (in the sebastian thread) http://android.podtwo.com/recovery/recover....4-blade-g1.img is only 825 bytes?? Is this link broken or what?

Guest MARKUK1
Using newer versions is fine - you can get the old ones (clockwork 3.0.2.4) if you want - see link above - however you will have no problems with newer versions.

If your new - stick to the versions mentioned (where possible)

thanks mate you are very helpfull am going for jellyfish but hes got 10 diff versions also lol i no my own choice but as u said better stick to wot u have said in first post .great help and vedio to the point .thanks for that :mellow:

Guest ben220011

I am getting a Parse Error when I try to install universalAndroot 1.6.1. Anyone else getting it, Downloaded it again still the same.

Guest Skyhell
Ok Everyone?

I know its a big change, but its time to move with the times.

Any veterans who would like to follow my guide word for word and see if I made any mistakes please do so,

likewise if anyone gets stuck - or thinks it could be clearer please please please post.

Hi Steven,

First of all I would like to thank you for this full guide.

This is my first android phone so it is a lot easier for me to just follow the instructions.

However, I have got problem.

I can not find a recovery-clockwork (320a0182b428dd879b9cdf23c1f214a8) with the same MD5-Sum as the RecoveryManager (ce777b6c1a06f8a8833217c3a96771c14) .

I was wondering if perhaps I had installed the wrong recovery manager or that I should be looking for another recovery-clockwork file.

I hope you can help me out. :unsure:

EDIT:

Okay so I noticed I made a mistake, the recovery-clockwork file does not have to have the same MD5-Sum as the recoverymanager does it? it is just to make sure you have downloaded the correct file.

Now I still have a problem where i can not install my recover-clockwork file, when I install it the phone says: currently installed recovery : unrecognised

Edited by Skyhell

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi Steven,

First of all I would like to thank you for this full guide.

This is my first android phone so it is a lot easier for me to just follow the instructions.

However, I have got problem.

I can not find a recovery-clockwork (320a0182b428dd879b9cdf23c1f214a8) with the same MD5-Sum as the RecoveryManager (ce777b6c1a06f8a8833217c3a96771c14) .

I was wondering if perhaps I had installed the wrong recovery manager or that I should be looking for another recovery-clockwork file.

I hope you can help me out. :unsure:

Sometimes the Developers of Recovery Manager - or Clockwork change the name of the file - this changes the MD5 - as long as the MD5's match with the ones listed in their thread - then you will be fine.

Guest Skyhell
Sometimes the Developers of Recovery Manager - or Clockwork change the name of the file - this changes the MD5 - as long as the MD5's match with the ones listed in their thread - then you will be fine.

Okay that's good to know,

Now I still have a problem where i can not install my recover-clockwork file, when I install it the phone says: currently installed recovery : unrecognised. I tried to download different recovery files being:

- recovery-clockwork 3.0.2.8

- recovery-clockwork 3.0.2.7

- recovery-RA-blade-v2.3-gen1

They both give the same message 'unrecognised' so I am quite confused what to do now

I have checked with Mr Pigfish and my phone is gen1 so that is not the problem.

I hope you can help me

EDIT:

After reading through the rest of the forum I figured it out. Thanks a lot, the phone is indeed a lot faster now :unsure:

Edited by Skyhell

Guest StevenHarperUK
EDIT:

After reading through the rest of the forum I figured it out. Thanks a lot, the phone is indeed a lot faster now :unsure:

Did you hit the MENU (hard button) in Recovery Manager and do the Update

Guest tasosf1996

is there going to be any problem if i install via fastboot cmw 3.0.1.4 while i have cmw 2.5.1.8 ??( i want to install ss5

Guest jimllmixit

Sorry, I can't get this, I downloaded the cyanogenmod 7 from the website (Android 2.3), I have tried to save the file to my phone, which file am I supposed to save? I downloaded the zip file but I can't even find the files now, all I get is "no files found", winzip is empty nothing on my phone, where do the files go?

Guest jimllmixit

Ok, so I've downloaded the Zip file and followed all your instructions and you've made me wipe my phone back to the old jellyfish 2.2 original, thank God I made a back up of my current settings. What I would like to do is upgrade from version 2.2 to 2.3. I have clockwork version 2.5.1.8, I have tried to download the recovery manager but that doesn't work, my computer doesn't recognise the file extension so won't copy to the phone. I'm following your instruction btw. I've tried to locate it in the market place but it's not there either. I have the ROM on the SD card but it won't install. I'm sure this is all my fault but could you tell me what to do in English rather than jargon? I had no problems installing version 2.2 but have hit brick walls in getting 2.3 installed. The links to install Androot (although I rooted my phone to install version 2.2) don't work. I'm taken to some strange external site that asks me to log in before it will let me download. You say I must download Recovery Manager .34b but the link takes you to .36b. I've installed ROM manager but that won't let me use it unless I spend £3 to upgrade to premium so am at a loss.

section 1 needs updating from:

ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b (check you get the right one - 0.34b)

Clockwork 3.0.2.4 (recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g1.img) - not the ZIP file

to:

ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.36b (check you get the right one - 0.36:unsure:

Clockwork 3.0.2.8 (recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.8-blade-gen1.img) - not the ZIP file

Guest bbdoc

Hi,

Being a newbie in flashing my android device, I have some basic questions in order to be sure I don't brick my phone. Could you please help me ?

1/ Are the versions mentionned in the first post of this topic "strict" versions or minimal versions, meaning :

- Should I use ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b, or the latest available (0.36b)

- Should I use Clockword 3.0.2.4, or the latest available (3.1.0.1)

2/ How to chose the best ROM as a beginner (meaning the most stable). I know it's not easy to tell which ROM is best, but is there one which I should avoid being a beginner (more for beta users) ? I was hesitating between those 3:

- MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM R12 (based on new Chinese leak)

- Japanese Jellyfish RLS9

- FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade, Latest version r10b

3/ Does any of those ROM provide with the possibility to chose the language ? I'm specifically interrested in switching to french.

4/ When changing the ROM, will I lose all my data and programs ? What about upgrading in the future to a newer version of the same ROM, will I always lose all data and programs ? I see some post specifying I should wipe my data/cache before changing to this ROM, how do I do that ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Guest Pondlife
Hi,

Being a newbie in flashing my android device, I have some basic questions in order to be sure I don't brick my phone. Could you please help me ?

1/ Are the versions mentionned in the first post of this topic "strict" versions or minimal versions, meaning :

- Should I use ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b, or the latest available (0.36b)

- Should I use Clockword 3.0.2.4, or the latest available (3.1.0.1)

2/ How to chose the best ROM as a beginner (meaning the most stable). I know it's not easy to tell which ROM is best, but is there one which I should avoid being a beginner (more for beta users) ? I was hesitating between those 3:

- MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM R12 (based on new Chinese leak)

- Japanese Jellyfish RLS9

- FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade, Latest version r10b

3/ Does any of those ROM provide with the possibility to chose the language ? I'm specifically interrested in switching to french.

4/ When changing the ROM, will I lose all my data and programs ? What about upgrading in the future to a newer version of the same ROM, will I always lose all data and programs ? I see some post specifying I should wipe my data/cache before changing to this ROM, how do I do that ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

1) think they were the latest versions when this was last updated, make sure you get the right ones for your gen of your phone.

2) none of those are under development as far as I can tell. I've only played with CyanogenMod7 and Swedish Spring, the only beta one is the honeycomb rom

3) think they all do, just changed CM7 to check and that definitely does

4) yes if you are changing to a different one, for some updates you can update without losing them. Though a clean install can be useful especially when there are lots of changes. Titanium backup from the Android market can back programs and data. Not a good idea to back up system settings though. Some user stuff can be backed up on your google account.

One of the options on the clockwork that you use to put the rom on is to wipe data/cache.

Guest bbdoc
1) think they were the latest versions when this was last updated, make sure you get the right ones for your gen of your phone.

2) none of those are under development as far as I can tell. I've only played with CyanogenMod7 and Swedish Spring, the only beta one is the honeycomb rom

3) think they all do, just changed CM7 to check and that definitely does

4) yes if you are changing to a different one, for some updates you can update without losing them. Though a clean install can be useful especially when there are lots of changes. Titanium backup from the Android market can back programs and data. Not a good idea to back up system settings though. Some user stuff can be backed up on your google account.

One of the options on the clockwork that you use to put the rom on is to wipe data/cache.

Thanks a lot for those infos... I did install my new ROM, and it's working fine, and indeed I could chose the language (used "FLB Froyo r10")

I've just updated from 2.1 to 2.2. My apps were previously and still are listed in my apps in app brain. But I'm unable to reinstall them as app brain shows them as still installed which is confusing as they're wiped off my phone. There doesn't seem to be an option to synch "my apps" (which is my list of apps). Any help gratefully received!

Edit solved now!

Edited by Guest

Guest Mzzah

First off, many thanks for a great guide! I got my 2.2 installed and it works like a charm.

However Android Market still thinks my Blade is a measly 2.1 and won't let me see all the fancy apps I'm so longing to download. Is there any workaround for that?

Guest be4con

I'm having an irritating problem.

I've rooted my wife's Gen 1 Orange SF with Androot, even repeated it when I started having problems to make sure the root had worked. SuperUser is installed and working so I know it has gone OK.

I've installed Recovery Manager v0.36, which has root access.

The current recovery is listed as "unrecognised"

I flashed the following CWM - recovery-clockwork-3.1.0.1-blade-gen1.img (MD5 checksum correct)

I get an "installing" message, then back to the Recovery screen and the recovery is still listed as "unrecognised".

One of the guides is quite specific about using Recovery Manager v0.34 (though I suspect it just hasn't been updated with the latest release) so I've also tried this using that version and no joy.

So... I thought I'd try the FASTBOOT method. I turn the phone off, remove and replace the battery. Turn the phone on whilst holding the up volume button, and the phone just boots up normally. I've tried this repeatedly, I don't get the big grey square that people report when FASTBOOT fails, I just get no response at all.

Grrrrr!

Any thoughts?

Guest StevenHarperUK
I'm having an irritating problem.

I've rooted my wife's Gen 1 Orange SF with Androot, even repeated it when I started having problems to make sure the root had worked. SuperUser is installed and working so I know it has gone OK.

I've installed Recovery Manager v0.36, which has root access.

The current recovery is listed as "unrecognised"

I flashed the following CWM - recovery-clockwork-3.1.0.1-blade-gen1.img (MD5 checksum correct)

I get an "installing" message, then back to the Recovery screen and the recovery is still listed as "unrecognised".

One of the guides is quite specific about using Recovery Manager v0.34 (though I suspect it just hasn't been updated with the latest release) so I've also tried this using that version and no joy.

So... I thought I'd try the FASTBOOT method. I turn the phone off, remove and replace the battery. Turn the phone on whilst holding the up volume button, and the phone just boots up normally. I've tried this repeatedly, I don't get the big grey square that people report when FASTBOOT fails, I just get no response at all.

Grrrrr!

Any thoughts?

in recovery Manager : Click MENU (the phones menu button) - choose update Database (it is part of the instructions)

Guest be4con
in recovery Manager : Click MENU (the phones menu button) - choose update Database (it is part of the instructions)

Thanks, but I did do that at the time, but still not recognised. Prior to your reply, I uninstalled Recovery Manager and then tried ROM Manager as I am used to using that on my Desire. I was able to flash CWM that way and ROM Manager reports it is installed, but when I try to boot into recovery the phone just reboots normally, even using ROM Manager to boot into recovery just causes the phone to do a normal reboot.

I'm wondering if Orange have made some changes to recent SF to block this procedure, what are the chances of that?

Thinking about doing a TPT to upgrade from Gen 1 to Gen 2 and flash a ROM at the same time. Does that sound like a good plan?

EDIT: Decided to just bite the bullet, the phone wasn't even staying rooted between boots, so I'm fairly sure this is an Orange thing. The TPT went smoothly, all rooted Gen 2 with Japanese Spring installed. Thanks for your advice.

Edited by be4con