22/May [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest thomecq

Hi,

I have a problem with installing UniversalAndroot. I've tried 1.61 and 1.62 versions. There is no info in Summary, no install button and in details tab it says 'Could not open /sdcard/new/universalandroot_1.6.1.apk as APK file'. Turning device off and on doesn't help. Redownloading doesn't help either. My firmware version is 2.1-update1, kernel version is 2.6.29.

Could someone help me?

p.s. sorry for my english

Many thanks for a great guide Steven, I finally plucked up the courage tonight to try a new ROM. Between the guide and your video I am now running JJ RLS8 :lol:

Hi,

I have a problem with installing UniversalAndroot. I've tried 1.61 and 1.62 versions. There is no info in Summary, no install button and in details tab it says 'Could not open /sdcard/new/universalandroot_1.6.1.apk as APK file'. Turning device off and on doesn't help. Redownloading doesn't help either. My firmware version is 2.1-update1, kernel version is 2.6.29.

Could someone help me?

p.s. sorry for my english

I had the same problem.

it was a corrupted download file, best thing to do is delete the first file you downloaded and re-download it.

make sure you run disk cleanup in windows first to remove any files on cache.

Guest crankykick

Hi

Big thank you for this guide and everyone who has made roms/themes/mods/unlocks. (there are too many to mention!)

Using recovery manager method putting a rom on was dead easy.

Thank you all

:lol:

Guest womble_sanfran

This is a great guide, it will be very helpful to me.

I have been investigating putting the MCR r11 Custom Rom/Firmware on my phone, I want to know as much about it before I start. I have a few queries which I believe are different to the normal queries we see here many times each day, they relate more to the phone file structure to aid my understanding, they arent in the FAQ or in this thread….

Am I right in thinking that most of the apps that are packaged with the ROM end up in /system/app?

Am I right in thinking that apps added from the market end up in /data/app?

If that is the case then I have some questions about how to go about baking the best possible ROM in the kitchen. I don’t have a need for a number of the apps so will not tick those options, this will save me space in /system/app. If any new apps I add from the market end up in /data/app then what is the point in saving space in /system by baking a 'lite' ROM?

I hear some people have repartitioned /system to be smaller, I would rather not do that, would it not achieve the same thing if I just stick the apk files for any extra apps I want in /system/app within the ROM zip file before flashing? This would mean those apps took up space in /system/app rather than /data/app (which I want to keep as empty as possible to accommodate any apps I want in the future).

Also ROMs tend to contain some apps like Google Maps, when this is installed from the market I get notified when it has been updated, do I still get those notifications if an app comes with the rom in /system/app?

Thanks,

Womble

Guest Evanb78

Just a noob question (even though I've flashed 3 different ROMs already).

On the various threads of individual custom ROMs, the developers mostly suggest to wipe data/cache first and then to flash the new ROM (when using Clockwork manually).

However, on the section 3 of this guide ("3. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork Manually"), it writes that to flash a new ROM first and then to wipe data and cache.

Which of the two procedures is more correct?

Guest StevenHarperUK
Just a noob question (even though I've flashed 3 different ROMs already).

On the various threads of individual custom ROMs, the developers mostly suggest to wipe data/cache first and then to flash the new ROM (when using Clockwork manually).

However, on the section 3 of this guide ("3. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork Manually"), it writes that to flash a new ROM first and then to wipe data and cache.

Which of the two procedures is more correct?

Both are correct

When you flash a ROM you Write Data to

BOOT partition

SYSTEM partition

These are read (read only) when the system runs normally - when the system starts if the DATA partition is blank then it does a first run install.....

SO as long as you WIPE the DATA partition BEFORE you reboot it just doesn't matter

Before or AFTER an UNZIP of the ROM

The WIPE effects completely different partitions to the install -- its the first boot that matters

Guest Evanb78
Before or AFTER an UNZIP of the ROM

Thanks for the clarification. Is it only "before or after" or it could also be "before or/and after"? I'm asking because the first ROM I flashed, I wiped data/cache before and after installing the new ROM and then I rebooted. And I didn't see any issues.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks for the clarification. Is it only "before or after" or it could also be "before or/and after"? I'm asking because the first ROM I flashed, I wiped data/cache before and after installing the new ROM and then I rebooted. And I didn't see any issues.

Yes it can be both - you can format the DATA part 1000 times before you reboot - but you may get bored.

Think of it as when you install the ROM you are putting an install CD in your CD Drive

When you WIPE you are formatting your HARD DISK

SO as long as the CD is in and the HARDDISK is wiped - then when you re-boot it will always be the same.

Guest doddy954

Hi steve, I have followed your tutorial vid for putting everything on to the blade and disaster. Now I cannot get passed the green android screen, no matter what I try. I have tried reconnecting to the pc but it wont let me see any files. I can get into the clockwork screen by removing battery and holding down button, I tried restoring and nothing happened so now have no idea how to get an operating system back on. Any ideas on what I should do before I throw it against a wall. My friend has the same phone, is there a way that I can use her sd card to get the details back on, either by formatting my sd or using her sd in my phone.

Regards

Steve

Edited by doddy954

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi steve, I have followed your tutorial vid for putting everything on to the blade and disaster. Now I cannot get passed the green android screen, no matter what I try. I have tried reconnecting to the pc but it wont let me see any files. I can get into the clockwork screen by removing battery and holding down button, I tried restoring and nothing happened so now have no idea how to get an operating system back on. Any ideas on what I should do before I throw it against a wall.

Regards

Steve

Ok : Dont panic.

Follow The 3rd Guide on the main POST

3. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork Manually

You will have to Re-install the ROM from the SDCard

You can mount the SDCard in Clockwork by going into Mounts (near bottom of Menu) then choose the last one Mount USB

Then Choose the Install from SDCard (choose Zip) and choose the ROM you want (off your SD Card)

Then Choose wipe cache partition & then wipe data/factory reset. (both from main menu)

After that re-boot and wait for about 6 minutes (if you don't get stuck on the green android).

If you do get stuck again, then is is likely that you need to re-download the ROM file as the one you have is damaged.

If you can get into Clockwork - then you are NEVER unable to recover.

Hi Steven,

If I use TPT and the partition sizes change, is that permanent or can it be changed for the next rom i decide to install??

TPT also has the power to change other much deeper parts of the device, please explain??

"TPT also has the power to change other much deeper parts of the device; the first discovery has been that you can change the partition sizes.

This means the the Spare space (MB) in the system partition location - can be squeezed down so that you have more space to install Apps in the data partition.

The ROM developer will pick the correct size partition for their ROM."

Thanks

Guest Evanb78
Yes it can be both - you can format the DATA part 1000 times before you reboot - but you may get bored.

Think of it as when you install the ROM you are putting an install CD in your CD Drive

When you WIPE you are formatting your HARD DISK

Thanks for the clarification with a very nice example :lol:

I could very much appreciate it if you could clarify the following taken from the guide:

If you want to make a complete backup of your entire phone : use the clockwork option backup - this will put a FULL backup of your device onto the SDCard (in a directory called clockwork)

I purchased a Blade from someone who had already installed a custom ROM in it. The device has serious WiFi issues and needs to be returned or replaced but before I do that I need to restore the phone to its factory condition. When I asked him where in the SD Card is the backup, he answered that the original ROM is not on the SD card, because you can't flash back the dumped files, as they need some editing. Is this correct? Every guide and information I read, they explicitly write that the first and most important step before flashing a new ROM is to make a backup of the old ROM. What's good of backing up the old ROM if you can't restore it?

From the little I know and read the last few days, it seems that the backup is rather simple and straightforward procedure with Clockworkmod (I've already tried it when I flashed a new ROM). Isn't the restore with Clockwork just as simple as the backup? Or you can't flash back the dumped files, like the one who sold me the Blade claims?

My complete saga here:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1571317

Edited by Evanb78

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi Steven,

If I use TPT and the partition sizes change, is that permanent or can it be changed for the next rom i decide to install??

TPT also has the power to change other much deeper parts of the device, please explain??

"TPT also has the power to change other much deeper parts of the device; the first discovery has been that you can change the partition sizes.

This means the the Spare space (MB) in the system partition location - can be squeezed down so that you have more space to install Apps in the data partition.

The ROM developer will pick the correct size partition for their ROM."

Thanks

TPT is a method of install that re-partitions the whole device - then extracts the IMAGES it has into each partition.

Different TPT's have different partition sizes

So if you want to go back - you choose a TPT with the standard partition size.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks for the clarification with a very nice example :lol:

I could very much appreciate it if you could clarify the following taken from the guide:

I purchased a Blade from someone who had already installed a custom ROM in it. The device has serious WiFi issues and needs to be returned or replaced but before I do that I need to restore the phone to its factory condition. When I asked him where in the SD Card is the backup, he answered that the original ROM is not on the SD card, because you can't flash back the dumped files, as they need some editing. Is this correct? Every guide and information I read, they explicitly write that the first and most important step before flashing a new ROM is to make a backup of the old ROM. What's good of backing up the old ROM if you can't restore it?

From the little I know and read the last few days, it seems that the backup is rather simple and straightforward procedure with Clockworkmod (I've already tried it when I flashed a new ROM). Isn't the restore with Clockwork just as simple as the backup? Or you can't flash back the dumped files, like the one who sold me the Blade claims?

My complete saga here:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1571317

If the backup was done in clockwork (and was a nandroid backup) then a restore will put the SYSTEM / USERDATA / BOOT/ CACHE back to how they originally were.

However there will still be clockwork on the RECOVERY partition.

You could fix this by getting the RECOVERY.img out of the Hungarian TPT and use FASTBOOT to write it over the RECOVERY partition.

TPT is a method of install that re-partitions the whole device - then extracts the IMAGES it has into each partition.

Different TPT's have different partition sizes

So if you want to go back - you choose a TPT with the standard partition size.

Great Thanks,

I've just flashed my phone, i've used the standard clockwork install for now (JJ RLS8)

I'll use TPT in a few days, just to get acquainted with the new rom .

Guest Mushroom_Lord

I can install The Recovery Manager File, but, when I open it it keeps force closing? Any ideas to stop this? Ill try rebooting phone etc for now.

Guest StevenHarperUK
I can install The Recovery Manager File, but, when I open it it keeps force closing? Any ideas to stop this? Ill try rebooting phone etc for now.

This happens when superuser doesn't kick in right

Use a Task killer to kill everything.

Then RE-install the Recovery Manager(from the APK) - then restart it

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Tried All That... Sorry that post wasnt very useful :/

I continually use task manager to kill all tasks, probably my most used app...

I am running the stock rom on my oled device

I have rooted and installed superuser permissions and busybox etc

I check the md5 matchs before installing, its is correct for BOTH versions of recovery manager

I try to install via astro, and says installation sucessful, however, when I open it it comes up with "The application Recovery Manager (process com.podtwo.Recoverymanager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again later.

If it makes any difference I have deleted a load of stock orange apps using titanium backup, and my vm heap is at 48.

Cheers In Advance :lol:

Guest StevenHarperUK
Tried All That... Sorry that post wasnt very useful :/

I continually use task manager to kill all tasks, probably my most used app...

I am running the stock rom on my oled device

I have rooted and installed superuser permissions and busybox etc

I check the md5 matchs before installing, its is correct for BOTH versions of recovery manager

I try to install via astro, and says installation sucessful, however, when I open it it comes up with "The application Recovery Manager (process com.podtwo.Recoverymanager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again later.

If it makes any difference I have deleted a load of stock orange apps using titanium backup, and my vm heap is at 48.

Cheers In Advance :lol:

If you can't get it to install - try the Fastboot way

Guest karololszak
If the backup was done in clockwork (and was a nandroid backup) then a restore will put the SYSTEM / USERDATA / BOOT/ CACHE back to how they originally were.

However there will still be clockwork on the RECOVERY partition.

You could fix this by getting the RECOVERY.img out of the Hungarian TPT and use FASTBOOT to write it over the RECOVERY partition.

Is there any way of getting RECOVERY.img out of the stock ROM? You know, I just want to be sure i backup everything, in case I will need to restore the phone to a before-the-flashing state :)

___

I found a way of doing it here. Apps I used: Universal Androot 1.6.1 (from here -autors' site, as I am not registered on the xda forum...), Android Terminal Emulator, and ES File Explorer - for installing Universal Androot and ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager. Now I am ready to change my Firmware :lol:

I will install clockwork recovery via ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager, then I will do a backup [i hope it is going to be a full, nandroid backup?], and then I shall be ready to flash and change my Firmware to 2.2! But that's coming tomorrow...

If I will have any problems, I'll let you know :)

Edited by karololszak