22/May [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest Saurabhn

I have a quick question, do we have to do wipe of data/cache before installing the ROM zip or after? coz the guide says after (which makes less sense to me, or i might be understanding the guide incorrectly).

Thank you.

P.S my first post here, cant appreciate enough! all the great stuff everyone has done here, thank you everyone.

Edited by Saurabhn

Guest Hattiwatti
Sorry! The application Setup Wizard (process com.adnroid.setuwizard) has stopped working. Please try again.

Same message about some google thing. Tried re-flashing 2 times already, can I try re-flashing to another ROM like FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (r6) ?

Also can I select any version from the ROM list? Or does it have to be based on my phone's build version?

Edited by Hattiwatti

Guest StevenHarperUK
I have a quick question, do we have to do wipe of data/cache before installing the ROM zip or after? coz the guide says after (which makes less sense to me, or i might be understanding the guide incorrectly).

Thank you.

P.S my first post here, cant appreciate all the great stuff everyone has done here, thank you everyone.

Before or after

The Install effect the BOOT / SYSTEM partitions

The WIPE effects the CACHE / USERDATA partitions

as long as you don't boot the ROM you can do it in any order

Guest StevenHarperUK
Same message about some google thing. Tried re-flashing 2 times already, can I try re-flashing to another ROM like FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (r6) ?

Also can I select any version from the ROM list? Or does it have to be based on my phone's build version?

You can try any ROM you like - if you have got Clockwork On, then try following STEP 3 in the guide.

Guest SimonKitch

Just to say thanks for the guide. succesfully installed JJ on my san francisco yesterday first time lucky :lol:

Haven't wiped phone though. Is this necessary?

Guest The Soup Thief

@stephenharper

Hiya,

Not sure if you've seen this or if it would be of interest but Phoenix Silver and I found androidscreencast yesterday. Its a PC application in java that grabs video from your phone's screen and records them as .mov. Thought it might be helpful for demos etc. Framerate is about 5/s, which aint great, and unfortunately it doesn't do anything to show where you're touching on the screen (htough maybe there's a double click app or similar for the phone which could help show where the demonstrator is pressing

Also unfortunately (I assume due to our phone's upsidedown screen) it shows the video upside down, but converting the .mov to .avi on the PC then inverting it would be easy

Our chat about it is here

Thought that since you do a few demonstrations, you might be interested in this

Cheers

Guest joblade

Just wanted to say thank you for this guide and all the work everyone has put in!

Got my orange san francisco yesterday and now running jellyfish and really pleased! My husband thought I was taking too much on, but is now very impressed!

I looked on the forums for ages yesterday but couldn't work out how to use fastboot and open a terminal on my mac etc. so really pleased there is this new way for absolute beginners

I also got stuck on the Recovery Install screen, which is very different to what is in the video. I had to uninstall Recovery Manager, re-install and root again and then go back into it. It took a few tries but managed it.

I also could not install Paul's ROM with recovery manager, and then it didn't work either following all the steps for wiping/rebooting etc. but managed to install JJ through clockwork manually finally

I have a stupid question - do I have to re-install Recovery Manager and clockwork and universalandroot again because they have now disappeared or can i just use my phone normally now?

Thanks again!

Edited by joblade

Guest The Soup Thief
Just wanted to say thank you for this guide and all the work everyone has put in!

Got my orange san francisco yesterday and now running jellyfish and really pleased! My husband thought I was taking too much on, but is now very impressed!

I looked on the forums for ages yesterday but couldn't work out how to use fastboot and open a terminal on my mac etc. so really pleased there is this new way for absolute beginners

I also got stuck on the Recovery Install screen, which is very different to what is in the video. I had to uninstall Recovery Manager, re-install and root again and then go back into it. It took a few tries but managed it.

I also could not install Paul's ROM with recovery manager, and then it didn't work either following all the steps for wiping/rebooting etc. but managed to install JJ through clockwork manually finally

I have a stupid question - do I have to re-install Recovery Manager and clockwork and universalandroot again because they have now disappeared or can i just use my phone normally now?

Thanks again!

Hi Joblade - is your name any reference to the fab late 80s spectrum game (Joe Blade)?

If you never want to upgrade your phone again you don't really need to worry about any of this, however, you may now have the bug...

[jobladethinks]"there must be some way of getting MCRfroyoR11 on the phone"[/jobladethinks]

In which case you may as well check they're on now before you forget how you did it first time...

Would have thought clockworkmod should still be on the phone - reboot and hold down vol down as it starts up (as you did previously) and it should open up, so you shouldn't need to reinstall this at least

Unless you backed up your apps with Titanium backup (if you don't have it, you'd be well advised to get it, though I'm sure it comes preinstalled in Paul's recent ROMs - just noticed, you're on JJ - I'm on shakier ground here - you'd be better advised heading over to the JJ thread for the clever stuff here)

... as I was saying, you could restore a titanium backup to get your previous apps (incl recovery manager), but if you've no such backup made (and why would you after only just getting the phone?) then you will want to reinstall recovery manager

Not sure, but I think JJ comes pre-rooted. Does no harm to use Androot again, if in doubt

Guest joblade
Hi Joblade - is your name any reference to the fab late 80s spectrum game (Joe Blade)?

If you never want to upgrade your phone again you don't really need to worry about any of this, however, you may now have the bug...

[jobladethinks]"there must be some way of getting MCRfroyoR11 on the phone"[/jobladethinks]

In which case you may as well check they're on now before you forget how you did it first time...

Would have thought clockworkmod should still be on the phone - reboot and hold down vol down as it starts up (as you did previously) and it should open up, so you shouldn't need to reinstall this at least

Unless you backed up your apps with Titanium backup (if you don't have it, you'd be well advised to get it, though I'm sure it comes preinstalled in Paul's recent ROMs - just noticed, you're on JJ - I'm on shakier ground here - you'd be better advised heading over to the JJ thread for the clever stuff here)

... as I was saying, you could restore a titanium backup to get your previous apps (incl recovery manager), but if you've no such backup made (and why would you after only just getting the phone?) then you will want to reinstall recovery manager

Not sure, but I think JJ comes pre-rooted. Does no harm to use Androot again, if in doubt

Thank you so much The Soup Thief! That has really helped, I will wait a little bit before attempting anything else but I reinstalled recovery manager and it says that i am running clockwork and JJ9, so I think I am all sorted. Thanks again!

p.s. a very unoriginal name - in that it is part of my first name and phone, i had a lot of zx spectrum games in the 80s but don't remember joe blade!

Edited by joblade

Guest skull_fcuk

Just wanted to pass on my thanks for an awesome and clear, painless guide. I followed the clockwork-rom install. Made the whole process very easy. Can't thank you enough for helping me free my phone from the shackles of Orange :lol: Excellent work !

Guest wookie16081965

i followed all the steps on this and now my phone is using the modaco r7 beta much faster and battery life is so much longer just one question at the end you say wipe could you tell me how please, when i put the updated rom on it rebooted straight away not into recovery and its working fine no problems

Edited by wookie16081965

Guest SqueakyG

Hi Steven,

I have a question about doing a backup in clockwork mod. I have not summoned the courage to flash a ROM yet, but I have done a backup in preparation. I would just like to ask if this is normal/acceptable, or if the backup is incomplete. Clockworkmod says:

Backing up boot...

Backing up recovery...

Backing up system...

Backing up data...

No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.

Backing up cache...

No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.

Generating md5 sum...

Backup complete!

Is that okay? Or is that broken? Are they error messages? Will things be missing from that backup?

Oh, and a trivial question... why do people call it "nandroid"? I don't see the clockworkmod backup feature using the word anywhere.

Edited by SqueakyG

2. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork via Recovery Manager

The phone will reboot into
Clockwork
- install the ROM, then perform a WIPE, then Reboot.

Thanks for introducing the Revocery Manager! However, when I tried it, from your phrasing it wasn't entirely clear to me whether those three steps (install the ROM, then perform a wipe, then reboot) will be done automatically or (specifically the wipe) require intervention on my part. Sure, after I took the plunge, things seemed OK, but how about changing the explanation like so:

The phone will reboot into clockwork and automatically perform the following tasks:
  • install the ROM
  • wipe data and cache partitions
  • reboot into the new ROM

Just my 2 cents. Thanks again for your efforts!

Edited by Guest

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi Steven,

I have a question about doing a backup in clockwork mod. I have not summoned the courage to flash a ROM yet, but I have done a backup in preparation. I would just like to ask if this is normal/acceptable, or if the backup is incomplete. Clockworkmod says:

Backing up boot...

Backing up recovery...

Backing up system...

Backing up data...

No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.

Backing up cache...

No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.

Generating md5 sum...

Backup complete!

Is that okay? Or is that broken? Are they error messages? Will things be missing from that backup?

Oh, and a trivial question... why do people call it "nandroid"? I don't see the clockworkmod backup feature using the word anywhere.

Yes that's normal - nanddroid - maybe it refers for the nand RAM

However its just a FULL binary backup of your entire phone.

Clockwork put is in SDCARD/Clockwork/DATE

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks for introducing the Revocery Manager! However, when I tried it, from your phrasing it wasn't entirely clear to me whether those three steps (install the ROM, then perform a wipe, then reboot) will be done automatically or (specifically the wipe) require intervention on my part. Sure, after I took the plunge, things seemed OK, but how about changing the explanation like so:

Just my 2 cents. Thanks again for your efforts!

Thanks I have added that

Update

30th January - Changed 2. How to Install a ROM using Clockwork via Recovery Manager to have clearer description of what happens after installing ROM

Guest Dan Diplo

Probably a stupid question, but when people talk about performing a "wipe" how exactly do you do this? Just to be 100% clear? And in your guide you state that Clockwork will "wipe data and cache partitions" so is there any need to perform a wipe manually before installing a new ROM? Thanks in advance!

Guest shadowrider

Rooted my phone and installed Japanese jellyfish ROM. Feels much better to use the phone after removing all the orange junk. Highly recommend this to anyone who is getting this phone.

Thanks for the great guide!!

Guest Magenta

Perfect guide! And there are really a few dodgy ones outhere! ;)

Also made a backup of Bouyges Telecom's stock settings thank you sir for that!

Battery goes low pretty fast though, I'm running Paul's r8, need to check the battery topic presumably.

Edited by Magenta

Guest StevenHarperUK
Probably a stupid question, but when people talk about performing a "wipe" how exactly do you do this? Just to be 100% clear? And in your guide you state that Clockwork will "wipe data and cache partitions" so is there any need to perform a wipe manually before installing a new ROM? Thanks in advance!

The Recovery Manager (when you pick Install Firmware) tells clockwork to do a WIPE yes.

Clockwork doesn't do that when you do it manually.

So if you use Recovery manager you are right : you don't need to.

Guest davtom.net

Just coming to the end of this process for the first time... I am doing the backup now with the recovery manager.

I had a problem at first. This seems to have been caused because I added " original rom" to the end of the filename for the backup. I got some sort of error on the text mode display about a badly-formatted command. I'm not an Android expert, but I've done quite a lot with DOS, Windows, Linux etc... so I think it was because there were two spaces in the filename I specified. Clockwork recovery asked me to report the problem.

Second try: I had to re-run the universal androot application and re-root the phone before clockwork recovery would launch again. Once it did, I tried entering the filename without spaces, and I can now see that the process is working and backing up my original files.

It might be worth adding a short comment in the howto at the top of the thread about this. Sorry if this has already been posted; I briefly checked and didn't see anything like that, but it's possible I missed it.

It's awesome stuff here; I stumbled upon this forum, and because of the amazing work that you have done, and because the deal was good with the extras thrown in, I decided to join as a plus member. :-) Thanks!

Guest Dan Diplo

Just want to thank Steve Harper, Paul and the rest of the team here for a fantastic job. I'd never even used a smartphone before getting my San Francisco, let alone an Android one, but the guide here enabled me to successfully flash my ROM to 2.2 (MoDaCo Froyo ROM (r7)) with ease. Whole process probably took less than 15 mins and went like, erm, Clockwork ;) The difference between 2.2 and the Orange "crud" is amazing - so much smoother and responsive and looks better, too. Cheers guys!

HI Can anyone make a total transfer stock rom? I need to send the Orange UK san fran back as i'm now phoneless (my backup phone got run over LOL) .

PLEASE HELP ASAP, Thanx

Guest jellywobbles
Just want to thank Steve Harper, Paul and the rest of the team here for a fantastic job. I'd never even used a smartphone before getting my San Francisco, let alone an Android one, but the guide here enabled me to successfully flash my ROM to 2.2 (MoDaCo Froyo ROM (r7)) with ease. Whole process probably took less than 15 mins and went like, erm, Clockwork ;) The difference between 2.2 and the Orange "crud" is amazing - so much smoother and responsive and looks better, too. Cheers guys!

+1 I'll second that! The whole process was "kids stuff" compared to doing similar on other Android devices!

Wish the process was as easy on my Advent Vega tablet! CWM on this device can prove to be a nightmare for some!

The OSF must be the "deal of the decade" - and so fast! Brilliant value - thanks to all here who made the transition so easy!

;)