3 quick questions RE: JapJellyfish RLS8 flashing

Guest Cardyology

Guest Cardyology

Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I just need a quick bit of advice from one of the more seasoned members of this fantastic community.

I'm by no means an android noob, had a UK G1 from day 1 & went through all the cyanogenmod roms , even had 2.2 on it at one stage! Then I went over to the dark side for 12 months (iphone) but now im back to Android & loving it again!

I recently purchased an orange san fransico in white & im really impressed. The only area that laets it down is tha camera, but for £100, whos complaining>? not meh!

Since buying it i;ve rooted/unlocked/installed clockwork on it & i;ve tried JJrls6, 7 & im now at rls8. Its a fantastic rom, combined with launcher pro it does everything i need, & very quickly! I jsut need a bit of advice with what to flash/what nto to flash to it.

SO, my questions are as follows......

In the JJfish from thread there are a tonne of .zip files, I need a little help understanding what they all are. For the sake of easiness i;ve copied/pasted here....

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8.zip (for normal Clockwork install) (119.2Mb system) - This is the actual ROM. I understand this & have flashed it (actually just re-flashed it to kinda start from scratch to be honest) flashes using latest clockwork mod. I also have NAND backups made to be safe.

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_image.zip (for repartitioning and install) - I know i dont need this (or im pretty sure I dont) as I dont use Apps2SD, or dont make a point of using it so thats fine. That correct?

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_ahb_overclocked.zip (50% AHB bus overclocking at speeds above 600MHz addon) - What is this? DOes this actually increase the clock speed of the phone? Do i need to flash this? I do want the best possible performance?

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_hw_ui.zip (Addon to enable hardware accellerated UI) - Again, what is this? I;ve read that it improves performance when playing 3D games etc which I just dont really do (apart from angry birds) at the expense of battery life. DO i need this? Will it increas the overall performance of my phone?

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_circle_battery.zip (Addon to enable circle battery indicator) - I know what this is & LOVE it, thanks :)

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_deskclock.zip (Addon to replace Alarm Clock with Desk Clock) - Again, I know what this is & love it! Thanks :D

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_smartdialer_addon.zip (Restore Smart Dialer and RLS7 version of Contacts) - i may flash this, not too sure/bothered yet.

I want the best possible performance out of my phone, is it right to assume that I can overclock using setCPU? DO i need that AHB patch installed? or is it better without?

Thanks guys ;) sorry again if this is in the wrong place.

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_image.zip (for repartitioning and install) - I know i dont need this (or im pretty sure I dont) as I dont use Apps2SD, or dont make a point of using it so thats fine. That correct?

This is just an alternative way to flash your ROM. A way that doesn't require clockwork. If you did the clockwork method, you can just ignore this image ROM.

Edited by _amano

Guest kallt_kaffe

No, this does not have anything to do with A2SD. The repartitioning is that it repartitions your NAND from 208Mb system and 207Mb data to 128Mb system and 287Mb data. It will make your choices limited to small slimmed ROMs but also give you another 80Mb for apps on /data.

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_ahb_overclocked.zip (50% AHB bus overclocking at speeds above 600MHz addon) - What is this? DOes this actually increase the clock speed of the phone? Do i need to flash this? I do want the best possible performance?

Both the standard kernel and the AHB version is overclockable. However the AHB version also overclocks AHB bus which increase the speed of memory access. Works for most people but not for all.

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_hw_ui.zip (Addon to enable hardware accellerated UI) - Again, what is this? I;ve read that it improves performance when playing 3D games etc which I just dont really do (apart from angry birds) at the expense of battery life. DO i need this? Will it increas the overall performance of my phone?
Some people like it, some not. I don't use it myself. Propably uses more battery as it turns the GPU on more often.

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_smartdialer_addon.zip (Restore Smart Dialer and RLS7 version of Contacts) - i may flash this, not too sure/bothered yet.
Unless you really miss the ZTE dialer I'd stay away from it.

I want the best possible performance out of my phone, is it right to assume that I can overclock using setCPU? DO i need that AHB patch installed? or is it better without?

Yes, No and No.

Guest Cardyology
Shouldn't this be in the dedicated Japanese Jellyfish thread?

Possibly - I'm not sure. Thanks for the heads up.

This is just an alternative way to flash your ROM. A way that doesn't require clockwork. If you did the clockwork method, you can just ignore this image ROM.
Ahh, ok. I have clockwork installed, did it via fastboot-mac the day i got the phone so I wont be needing this ;) Thanks!

No, this does not have anything to do with A2SD. The repartitioning is that it repartitions your NAND from 208Mb system and 207Mb data to 128Mb system and 287Mb data. It will make your choices limited to small slimmed ROMs but also give you another 80Mb for apps on /data.

Ok. I;m fine with the standard NAND partitions (at least i have been so far) so i'll leave that well alone!

Both the standard kernel and the AHB version is overclockable. However the AHB version also overclocks AHB bus which increase the speed of memory access. Works for most people but not for all.

So it is worth installing this then using setCPU to increase max clock speed?

Some people like it, some not. I don't use it myself. Propably uses more battery as it turns the GPU on more often.

I'll leave this alone

Unless you really miss the ZTE dialer I'd stay away from it.

ZTE dialer is fine so i'll leave that too.

Yes, No and No.

So what would be the best min/max setCPU settings? Can anyone provide a link for setCPU & Blade-specific settings?

Thanks for all your help guys. Love this community. Much love to all.

Guest Swimmerboy
So what would be the best min/max setCPU settings? Can anyone provide a link for setCPU & Blade-specific settings?

If you're looking for performance - stick it up as high as it'll go. If you're looking for battery savings set it as low as you can cope with (it'll get very sluggish at slow speeds).

Best bet is to play with it and find out what suits your personal preferences

So it is worth installing this then using setCPU to increase max clock speed?

As far as I know I think nothing will happen - if you re not using setCPU as well. So this mod won't change the default behaviour if the CPU is not overclocked by setCPU.

By the way:

When I am installing these mods - do I have to reboot the phone after each one or can I install them directly after each other? And do they need a date or factory wipe?

Guest Cardyology
As far as I know I think nothing will happen - if you re not using setCPU as well. So this mod won't change the default behaviour if the CPU is not overclocked by setCPU.

By the way:

When I am installing these mods - do I have to reboot the phone after each one or can I install them directly after each other? And do they need a date or factory wipe?

Thanks for that mate.

I;ve installed the ROM itself & the AHB overclock patch, the ROM required a wipe of both cache & Data, the overclock one didnt require a wipe of any kind (As far as i can tell).

Guest sensory

I've got my Blade overlocked to 700Mhz which makes it nice and zippy. It's only an extra 100Mhz over the default and I haven't seen any battery loss but I've definitely noticed the increase in speed.

Need to clear this query since we are on this topic.

the AHB overclocked variant.. Do is pre-overclock it of is it upto the user to do that? I mean, the AHB Bus.

What i understand so far.

Standard variant: CPU = Stock Clock settings, Overclockable with SetCPU; AHB = Stock Clock settings

AHB OC variant: CPU = Stock Clock settings, Overclockable with SetCPU; AHB = Already Overclocked

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Guest 90180360
Shouldn't this be in the dedicated Japanese Jellyfish thread?

Yes, the original JJ thread is totally not cluttered enough already.

Imo it would be much better to separate newbie questions from ROM development, but maybe that's just me.

Guest Cardyology
I've got my Blade overlocked to 700Mhz which makes it nice and zippy. It's only an extra 100Mhz over the default and I haven't seen any battery loss but I've definitely noticed the increase in speed.

How did you do that? setCPU? WHat exactly did you do to get it to 700mhz, just turn up max cpu clock to 700mhz? whats the low-end setting>? cos that sounds great :lol: ! x

Need to clear this query since we are on this topic.

the AHB overclocked variant.. Do is pre-overclock it of is it upto the user to do that? I mean, the AHB Bus.

What i understand so far.

Standard variant: CPU = Stock Clock settings, Overclockable with SetCPU; AHB = Stock Clock settings

AHB OC variant: CPU = Stock Clock settings, Overclockable with SetCPU; AHB = Already Overclocked

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

The AHB as far as i know is an addon once you;ve flashed the ROM iteslf. Judging by the other replies in this thread, it helps with overclocking as it speeds up access to the memory. WIthout the patch, setCPU will only raise the mx clock speed? amirite?

Yes, the original JJ thread is totally not cluttered enough already.

Imo it would be much better to separate newbie questions from ROM development, but maybe that's just me.

Ya, the jellyfish thread has over 9000 replies, i felt a bit guilty about starting a new thread but i think these are pretty basic questions that a lot of people wanted the answer to. Thanks to everyone for their input, im learning very quickly & loving my phone more & more everyday!

Cardz x

Guest Tobriand

Thanks for starting this one! Exactly the same questions were running through my mind - knew I wanted to go the slimmed down partition route, but wasn't sure how.

How exactly do you go about using the addons anyway, though? Is it exactly like flashing a rom (except possibly you get away without wiping data)? Or is there a different option to choose in Clockwork?

Was particularly confused about how to use the "image" file properly... think I've got it now :lol:

Guest StevenHarperUK

I set a Profile on my CPU as

When Screen OFF

248 > 460

And on the main Screen

480-710

This stops the Lag when you try to do something and the cpu is at 248mhz keeping it a bit higher makes it feel more responsive.

The lower top-end when the screen is off stops background apps using more power when I am not using it.

I set a Profile on my CPU as

When Screen OFF

248 > 460

And on the main Screen

480-710

This stops the Lag when you try to do something and the cpu is at 248mhz keeping it a bit higher makes it feel more responsive.

The lower top-end when the screen is off stops background apps using more power when I am not using it.

Excellent, that was my next question and you have just answered it!!! I'll have a go right now

thank you once again

Ok :lol: so I've now used SetCPU V2.1.0 to overclock the OSF

addon installed

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_ahb_overclocked.zip

did not install , do I need to install this???

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_hw_ui.zip

Please correct me if i'm wrong, thanks

Load up SetCPU

you have 5 tabs at the top of the screen

1. main

2. profiles

3.advanced

4. info

5. about

click on main

Scaling = on demand

tick set on boot

Max = 710400 ( I can't seem to set it to an exact number of my choice)

Min = 480000

Click on profile

Click on add profile

you will now be on the edit profile screen

Profile= off screen

max = 480000

min = 245760 (I can't seem to set it to an exact number of my choice on both, why?)

Scaling = on demand

Priority = 50 (don't know what this is for)

click on save

click on enable

all done, I think!!

on Quadrant Standard - Full Benchmark

score = 549

Good or Bad not sure?

your comments please

Thanks again :)

Edited by umster

Guest Cardyology
Thanks for starting this one! Exactly the same questions were running through my mind - knew I wanted to go the slimmed down partition route, but wasn't sure how.

How exactly do you go about using the addons anyway, though? Is it exactly like flashing a rom (except possibly you get away without wiping data)? Or is there a different option to choose in Clockwork?

Was particularly confused about how to use the "image" file properly... think I've got it now :lol:

No problem mate. Both me & my housemate were wondering so I decided to pose the questions.

I installed the ahb overclcock, then setCPU at 710max, 480min & found that I kept getting random lockups then rebooting.

I also have the hw uinaddon installed. Not sure if that makes a difference. Short bench takes 450 -ish ms.

To flash them, reboot into recovery (i recommend also flashing the reboot option to your power button as found here http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-in-power-menu/ I love this, thanks creator! ) , Then jut flash the zip as you would a ROM. A NAND backup is recommended first.

Edited by Cardyology

Guest StevenHarperUK
No problem mate. Both me & my housemate were wondering so I decided to pose the questions.

I installed the ahb overclcock, then setCPU at 710max, 480min & found that I kept getting random lockups then rebooting.

I also have the hw uinaddon installed,

All CPU's are different - some can go quicker some can not - its just luck.

All CPU's are different - some can go quicker some can not - its just luck.

Steven,

Have I done it right!! Please let me know,

I didnt install Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS8_hw_ui.zip do I need to ???

My battery seems to die very quickly... doesnt last a day!!

what is your quadrant score?

Edited by umster

Guest Cardyology

Using the settings in the post by urmster I have noticed a real good speed increase. Can't comment on the battery life yet but I've got 585 in quant as opposed to the 500 ish I have been getting.

Using the settings in the post by umster I have noticed a real good speed increase. Can't comment on the battery life yet but I've got 585 in quant as opposed to the 500 ish I have been getting.

good good!!!

It seems that my wife battery!!! lol!!! well I should said her phones battery dies very quickly.

I left her phone on charge over night switched off.. in the morning @ 7.00am turn it on. 100% 10 mins later 90%

good know how long it wil last!!!

any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thx

Guest Cardyology
good good!!!

It seems that my wife battery!!! lol!!! well I should said her phones battery dies very quickly.

I left her phone on charge over night switched off.. in the morning @ 7.00am turn it on. 100% 10 mins later 90%

good know how long it wil last!!!

any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thx

Wi my max CPU set to 710 & on demand scaling, after a full charge overnight, taken off at about 8:15 this morn (gmt) by 2 pm it was on 49%.

I've scaled it back down to 690ish, hopefully that'll hammer the battery a bit less.

We need a dedicated, noob friendly over clocking blade/sanFran thread! (unless there already is one)

Edited by Cardyology

Wi my max CPU set to 710 & on demand scaling, after a full charge overnight, taken off at about 8:15 this morn (gmt) by 2 pm it was on 49%.

I've scaled it back down to 690ish, hopefully that'll hammer the battery a bit less.

We need a dedicated, noob friendly over clocking blade/sanFran thread! (unless there already is one)

I agree!!! :lol:

My wife came home today to give me a bollocking about her phone battery dying too quickly!!!

"I havn;t even used my phone that much today and the dam batteries dead" I want my old sony W995 back!!!

I need a quick anwser to this problem!! :)