Vega 'on the go'

Guest bennji_boy

Guest bennji_boy

I've seen it mention that you can tether your Vega to a phone to get non-wifi internet access. I'm due a phone upgrade, can anyone advice the best phone to get that does this job?

Guest agamston

i have a HTC Desire which is great as it allows me to create a virtual wifi hotspot which the vega can connect to ;)

you can also create a password to the connection so you dont get any unwanted guests stealling your data allowance :)

Guest Lennyuk
I've seen it mention that you can tether your Vega to a phone to get non-wifi internet access. I'm due a phone upgrade, can anyone advice the best phone to get that does this job?

all android phones 2.2 and up can tether this way.

HTC phones have a really nice app to do it for you, or any phone with a custom rom should be able to do it too, I use my desire Z running a CM7 build to tether my vega all the time.

Guest wobblydoggy
i have a HTC Desire which is great as it allows me to create a virtual wifi hotspot which the vega can connect to ;)

you can also create a password to the connection so you dont get any unwanted guests stealling your data allowance :)

+1

Guest YorkieUK

Although I can easily tether my iPhone, vodafone charge me for the privilege (£4.50 a day) so check with your provider first that they are happy for you to use your phone as a modem and also do they charge you for it!

Guest dagrim1
Although I can easily tether my iPhone, vodafone charge me for the privilege (£4.50 a day) so check with your provider first that they are happy for you to use your phone as a modem and also do they charge you for it!

Worked perfectly with my Galaxy S... Easy as hell as well. Just check the option in your galaxy s settings and the vega will see it as a wifi network.

Guest gdwhitehouse

+1 for the HTC Desire and HTC Desire HD from here - use the feature quite a lot, for both my Vega and my laptop. Just check the data cap on the contract you get, as surfing and streaming uses it up pretty quick.

G

Guest Sanddancer75

Be warned that some operators don't allow tethering. I'm not sure if/how they can tell, I've done it plenty with my old phone & netbook without any mention.

Guest Lennyuk
Be warned that some operators don't allow tethering. I'm not sure if/how they can tell, I've done it plenty with my old phone & netbook without any mention.

You usually have to use an official tether app or them to know. Any one with a new htc android phone and/or a rooted 2.2 or above android phone can use the wifi hotspot though and its impossible to get caught, just don't use too much data (not more than normal).

Guest bennji_boy
+1 for the HTC Desire and HTC Desire HD from here - use the feature quite a lot, for both my Vega and my laptop. Just check the data cap on the contract you get, as surfing and streaming uses it up pretty quick.

G

What would typical usage be? I know this is a really stupid question of the how long is a piece of string variety.

So if I had an allowance of 250MB per month, what would this get me? 20 minutes a day on iplayer, 50 websites per day?

Are you using MyWi? I am and it doesn't show as tether data, just comes out of the normal data allowance. I havent actually had a bill yet though so not sure if I've been charged for it.

Guest SilentMobius
What would typical usage be? I know this is a really stupid question of the how long is a piece of string variety.

So if I had an allowance of 250MB per month, what would this get me? 20 minutes a day on iplayer, 50 websites per day?

250MB is _nothing_ the normal homepage for BBC news is about 1/2MB One low quality episode of Dr Who is ~150MB (Normal quality is about 300MB). I generally use ~1GB/Month with just my phone, without video. I currently have a Vodafone basic £10 rolling contract and +£15 on top of that for a 3GB a month limit.

Guest gingercat
If one was to procure a phone with Android 2.1, would it be possible to load up 2.2?

Most likely, depends on the make/model, I'd suggest checking the relevant forum sections here for any phones you're interested in.

Guest princeotter
If one was to procure a phone with Android 2.1, would it be possible to load up 2.2?

Try looking at Wildfire deals - can get some good redemption deals like 300 mins , 500gb Internet, unlimited texts for £25 a month but after redemption (and if you go thro Quidco cashback as well) so that it nets to less than £7 a month on a 24 month contract on Orange. As Wildfire has Froyo then just use portable wi-fi hotspot to tether. Phone is OK (not as good as a Desire clearly) but this is a bargain route for mobile wifi. PM or Tweet me if you want more details

Edited by princeotter

Guest Bobbler
Are you using MyWi? I am and it doesn't show as tether data, just comes out of the normal data allowance. I havent actually had a bill yet though so not sure if I've been charged for it.

They will send you a text first (O2 anyway) if they think you are taking the pee with it.

My brother used MyWi when he moved in his new place, no internet available till the new building is on BT's or Virgins systems. He got a text after clocking up a little over a 750MB in a week or so, then another to tell him they are cutting off his 3G connectivity for over usage after he rather foolishly just carried on.

They never mentioned anything about tethering, just that his data usage had gone well over their acceptable usage policy.

Iphone or Android, you go mad with the data, they will just switch you off.

Guest Maxwell4321

I use Barnacle on my rooted Xperia X10 mini running Android 2.1 to create a wifi hotspot and the Vega just sees it as an access point. Dead easy to setup and use, also I am on 02 PAYG with unlimited data and have never been charged any data charges whatever I have used it for.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Mickgoodie1
I use Barnacle on my rooted Xperia X10 mini running Android 2.1 to create a wifi hotspot and the Vega just sees it as an access point. Dead easy to setup and use, also I am on 02 PAYG with unlimited data and have never been charged any data charges whatever I have used it for.

I am running a htc hero with 2.1 update 1, with barnacle and my v8 rom vega will not connect for love of money. Can someone just confim to me in a pm exactly what software information they are running on their vega for this to work please. Or does my hero need to be on 2.2?

Also i have a giffgaff sim card. £10 per month, 250 mins, and unlimited text and data. Yes this is a unlimited plan they will text you at 20gb of data to stop taking the piss!!! You can pack ur number to them and off them again if you want to move on. 30 day contract, the best on the market.

Guest Maxwell4321
I am running a htc hero with 2.1 update 1, with barnacle and my v8 rom vega will not connect for love of money. Can someone just confim to me in a pm exactly what software information they are running on their vega for this to work please. Or does my hero need to be on 2.2?

Also i have a giffgaff sim card. £10 per month, 250 mins, and unlimited text and data. Yes this is a unlimited plan they will text you at 20gb of data to stop taking the piss!!! You can pack ur number to them and off them again if you want to move on. 30 day contract, the best on the market.

Nothing special about the software on the Vega to connect via Barnacle just using the standard wireless settings to connect, however you must not use any security keys (WEP etc).

As for Barnacle make sure you switch on your 3G and its active on your phone before running Barnacle, when you have your data connection run Barnacle and press start, after its run through its setup press associate then immediately do a wifi search on your Vega and you should find (*)Barnacle, connect to it and an association will be setup so next time all you have to do is press start and the Vega will automatically select it. You might need to try the association procedure a couple of times before its successful.

The above assumes your phone is fully rooted.

Hi Maxwell, do you manage to use web encryption with Barnacle? I have same terminal, Xperia X10 mini running Android 2.1,but whenever I use web encryption or filter by Mac Address my Vega cannot connect with barnacle, it tries but after a wile network stays disconnected in Vega menu.

Edited by jegupi

Guest Maxwell4321
Hi Maxwell, do you manage to use web encryption with Barnacle? I have same terminal, Xperia X10 mini running Android 2.1,but whenever I use web encryption or filter by Mac Address my Vega cannot connect with barnacle, it tries but after a wile network stays disconnected in Vega menu.

Nope web encryption does not work with the Vega AFAIK using this setup

Nope web encryption does not work with the Vega AFAIK using this setup

thanks, have ask barnacle developer about WEP and MAC filter not working, tell you if I can solve. Also have discover another app for tether PdaNet have to test when get home.

Guest expat2000

Thanks for all the tips above, got my vega to tether using Barnacle running on my SE X10i (rooted Android 2.1).

Found the z4root app on the x10 forum so even that was simples!