Newbie Questions

Guest Rod_javier

Guest Rod_javier

Hi everybody; this is my first Android. Surfing this forum I´ve seen new things to consider (comparing to windows mobile)

Could someone enlight me in these 3 questions?

Why do you root this phone?

What is the advantage of android 2.1?

Where can i find good basic soft for it?

Thanks in advance!

Guest mistermentality
Hi everybody; this is my first Android. Surfing this forum I´ve seen new things to consider (comparing to windows mobile)

Could someone enlight me in these 3 questions?

Why do you root this phone?

What is the advantage of android 2.1?

Where can i find good basic soft for it?

Thanks in advance!

People root it primarily to run apps that can do things that non rooted apps cannot such as Titanium Backup which can back up even protected system files or over clocking software to make the cpu work at a faster speed for example.

What is the advantage of android 2.1 over what,earlier versions or Windows Mobile phones? Compared to Windows, well first Android is a more popular operating system and so has a lot more apps written for it. It is open source and so you are not stuck with default apps you don't like as there are plenty of free replacement apps available, android uses up less system resources and is easier for users to manage themselves if they wish to with task managers and similar software.

As for apps for it, well you just click the market icon on an android phone and it takes you to the app market where you can find thousands of very good apps, about half or maybe more of which are free, and you can read reviews by actual users of each app to help you decide what ones you want to install.

Dave

Guest mistermentality
Thanks Dave!!!!! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome, I should point out that you do not need to root an android phone nor use an unofficial rom (which could invalidate any warranty on the phone) to have a very well featured fun experience with android. It is a very fast and flexible operating system and depending on which news sites are correct is either the number one or number two phone operating system at the moment so has plenty of apps.

If you do get an android phone and want to try some software forit that does not involve rooting or a custom rom I can recommend Go Launcher as a replacement main interface and Go SMS or Handcent as enhanced texting replacements all of which are free.

If you get an android phone go for one that either has version 2.2 installed on it already or can be updated from your manufacturers website to 2.2 as this version allows storing apps on an sd card which saves your phones internal memory from getting low on space.

LG do not offer an update to 2.2 for the GT540 although I have read recently they do intend to this year sometime.

Dave