[mod] [2011-03-22] TPT NAND Backup & Partition Tool - alpha3 [Gen1]

Guest wbaw

Guest JayGB1982

Having issues with this..

At the moment I'd like to return phone to stock partitions, I'm stuck on the little green man.

Should I just flash JJ which in turn returns the partitions back to normal.

Then flash the latest CM7 + the additional updated gapps package- Then re-run the wbaw TPT for additional space?

Guest JayGB1982

Third time lucky... and It seems to have reverted to stcok partitions :D

So just to clarfiy... I do want to use wbaw's partition mod but would also like the additional gapps / updated on system instead of data...

1 Flash CM7

2 Install updated gapps

3 Run wbaw's TPT no-cache

Is this the right method?

Guest iKrautDroid

Hey, I have been using this mod on kallt kaffees swedish spring release 3 and I have problems with video playback. Sometimes, I only get black and white video playback.

Is this caused by the 2mb cache partition?

If yes, is there a way to fix this?

If not, caj you think of anything else that could be causing this?

Thx in advance

iKrautDroid

Guest iKrautDroid

Hey, I have been using this mod on kallt kaffees swedish spring release 3 and I have problems with video playback. Sometimes, I only get black and white video playback.

Thx in advance

iKrautDroid

Guest JayGB1982

Update - The install went smoothly and I now have the extra space again...

Please note that if you initially see a black screen when doing the power on + install... Wait a few mins.

It is flashing but doesn't always indicate that anything is happening.

Patience people :D

Guest Schwinni

No, I see no reason why the 2MB cache partition would cause that. First of all the cache is only used for download apk files from the market. Second, if you have cache2tmpfs installed correctly, you have more than the normal 41MB cache, because it could use all the rest of the data partition for caching files.

Since we are talking about flash memory it also makes no difference where the cache is, like it could be the case with HDDs, where the first sectors are faster than the last sectors.

Guest iKrautDroid
No, I see no reason why the 2MB cache partition would cause that. First of all the cache is only used for download apk files from the market. Second, if you have cache2tmpfs installed correctly, you have more than the normal 41MB cache, because it could use all the rest of the data partition for caching files.

Since we are talking about flash memory it also makes no difference where the cache is, like it could be the case with HDDs, where the first sectors are faster than the last sectors.

Yeah, i guess your right. But do you know whats causing these black and white vids and if there is a way to fix this.

Thx in advance

iKrautDroid

That's nothing to do with this mod, it's the stagefright bug in all 2.2 roms, edit /system/build.prop & set any options with the word stagefright in to false. That will prevent a couple of gameloft hd games from working, but it will fix video playback.

Edited by wbaw

My Blade has broken (again) - nothing to do with this mod, but it means I wont be able to update it for gen2 phones, apps2sd, etc. At least not soon.

Does anybody else want to take over updating this repartitioning script for gen2 phones? You'll need to know what you're doing, but I can give a bit of help & advice. It seems like it's even more important for gen2 phones because they have an extra 'oem' partition wasting space, so the stock /data size is even smaller. There are more problems to solve with gen2 too, the 2 different gen2 updates have different appsboot.mbn files, I hope we can just use one appsboot.mbn & it'll work with all gen2 phones, but that's untested & could result in a brick.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Oyorf

I have done some partition mod earlier. Just would like to know what happens if I try to put ROM that is bigger than my System partition? Obviously it will not work, but does it brick the phone completely, or does it only say that "sorry, you do not have enough free space?" So can I still go back to clockwork and flash some other suitable rom?

Guest That-Guy
My Blade has broken (again) - nothing to do with this mod, but it means I wont be able to update it for gen2 phones, apps2sd, etc. At least not soon.

Does anybody else want to take over updating this repartitioning script for gen2 phones? You'll need to know what you're doing, but I can give a bit of help & advice. It seems like it's even more important for gen2 phones because they have an extra 'oem' partition wasting space, so the stock /data size is even smaller. There are more problems to solve with gen2 too, the 2 different gen2 updates have different appsboot.mbn files, I hope we can just use one appsboot.mbn & it'll work with all gen2 phones, but that's untested & could result in a brick.

How about we all donate to your PayPal so you can buy another one?

You are doing a great job!

Guest jastonas

What is the method to upgrade an existing rom and keep tpt at the same time?

I currently have swedish spring 3 with tpt partitions, and want to try to upgrade to 4 (withouth data wipe).

1. Flash v.4

2. Flash tpt script again?

Guest JayGB1982

You should just need to run the patch... Your TPT will still remain after the upgrade ROM flash... It's just not utilising the space.

Guest unrandomsam

I am somewhat interested I dunno where you get the offsets from and

# cat /proc/mtd

cat /proc/mtd

dev:	size   erasesize  name

mtd0: 00500000 00020000 "recovery"

mtd1: 00500000 00020000 "boot"

mtd2: 00180000 00020000 "splash"

mtd3: 00080000 00020000 "misc"

mtd4: 02580000 00020000 "cache"

mtd5: 0dc00000 00020000 "system"

mtd6: 0a280000 00020000 "userdata"

mtd7: 01500000 00020000 "oem"

mtd8: 00180000 00020000 "persist"

#

What is the risk of doing this ?

I guess I need to check I can generate and flash a tpt safely first

I am somewhat interested I dunno where you get the offsets from and

# cat /proc/mtd

cat /proc/mtd

dev:	size   erasesize  name

mtd0: 00500000 00020000 "recovery"

mtd1: 00500000 00020000 "boot"

mtd2: 00180000 00020000 "splash"

mtd3: 00080000 00020000 "misc"

mtd4: 02580000 00020000 "cache"

mtd5: 0dc00000 00020000 "system"

mtd6: 0a280000 00020000 "userdata"

mtd7: 01500000 00020000 "oem"

mtd8: 00180000 00020000 "persist"

#

What is the risk of doing this ?

I guess I need to check I can generate and flash a tpt safely first

You have a Gen2 phone, so it wont work. My script will detect this & exit before doing any damage. The script will need to be re-written & updated to work on Gen2 phones. I'm currently without a phone & wont be in a hurry to mess up my new one, if I can get one. So it's not likely to be updated for Gen2 soon, unless somebody else wants to do it.

DO NOT FLASH ANY GEN1 TPT IMAGES TO A GEN2 PHONE a Gen1 TPT is quite likely to brick your phone.

The sizes & offsets are stored in partition_zte.mbn that's where I got them from, it's a binary file so need a hex editor to see them. Gen2 phones have a different partition layout. The original thread about changing partition sizes on a gen1 phone is here, in case you're interested - http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-layout-change/

Edited by wbaw

Guest hecatae

cant do tpt on gen2 either, the partition_zte.mbn is available in the gen 1 to gen2 pinned sticky topic, but we are going to need to flash the new partitions by windows pc to change partition sizes.

Guest isambard
I have done some partition mod earlier. Just would like to know what happens if I try to put ROM that is bigger than my System partition? Obviously it will not work, but does it brick the phone completely, or does it only say that "sorry, you do not have enough free space?" So can I still go back to clockwork and flash some other suitable rom?

assuming you install with CWM, it will fail on the install when it runs out of space. it shoudn't brick your phone.

It wont brick the phone completely or say "sorry, you do not have enough free space". It will install the rom & it'll look like it worked properly from clockwork, but it will miss the last few files that go over the free space. You'll end up with a rom that doesn't boot or has things (like wifi) missing.

You can still get back into clockwork to flash a smaller rom to fix the problem.

cant do tpt on gen2 either, the partition_zte.mbn is available in the gen 1 to gen2 pinned sticky topic, but we are going to need to flash the new partitions by windows pc to change partition sizes.

I think it should be possible to do a tpt on a gen2 phone, as long as it's a gen2 tpt. The tpt flash program is still there in oemsbl.mbn. It's just converting a phone between gen1 & gen2 can't be done by tpt because the partition.mbn ('modem' partition) files are different between gen1 & gen2.

Trying to flash a gen1 tpt to a gen2 phone should fail in a similar way as trying to flash a gen2 tpt to a gen1 phone, before writing any data & bricking it.

It should be possible to convert this script to gen2, I just don't have time for it at the moment. My replacement phone is staying on gen1 for a while, I'm on my 2nd replacement phone now & I need to be able to use it as a phone for my business. If I get a new phone donated (no sign of a single penny yet) I'll convert that to gen2 & fix the script to work on gen2. Otherwise I'll do it if & when I decide to update my phone to gen2.

Edited by wbaw

Guest rak007

@wbaw

I am planning to move to CM7 from current SS RLS4b. I have your mod installed in my phone and it works fantastic.

Now if my understanding is right, i can just flash the new CM7 rom over this after complete wipe and then use the cache2tmp script using clockwork to ensure that the cache redirection thing works.

Is this the way i am expected to do it ?

Guest hugobosslives

wbaw,

I am a cm7 nightly guy. and update to the new nightly every 2 days or so, so i'm wondering the quickest way to do this each time i flash or if i can permanently to it? [this is maybe where i'm going wrong, is this mod permanent anyway? i.e if i flash a new rom, does the partition resize stay?]

Cos currently i am resetting to stock everytime, and then flashing the new rom and then reflashing this just to be safe.... (not the cleverest thing to do i know)

If this is permanent.... I would like to set the system to around 145mb this time (so i can install all the cm7 roms with the gapps in system partition with a bit left over [currently it takes about 136 on mine]) and the cache partion to 'nocache' in the META-INF file. So would it read: .....run_program("/tmp/image/backup-script.sh", "fast", "nocache", "manual", "145") ?

Cheers mate, even if i've missed something here, you can probably see what i'm trying to do, and it would probably help others thinking the same thing, so please could you explain the way of doing this? Thanks

wbaw,

I am a cm7 nightly guy. and update to the new nightly every 2 days or so, so i'm wondering the quickest way to do this each time i flash or if i can permanently to it? [this is maybe where i'm going wrong, is this mod permanent anyway? i.e if i flash a new rom, does the partition resize stay?]

Cos currently i am resetting to stock everytime, and then flashing the new rom and then reflashing this just to be safe.... (not the cleverest thing to do i know)

If this is permanent.... I would like to set the system to around 145mb this time (so i can install all the cm7 roms with the gapps in system partition with a bit left over [currently it takes about 136 on mine]) and the cache partion to 'nocache' in the META-INF file. So would it read: .....run_program("/tmp/image/backup-script.sh", "fast", "nocache", "manual", "145") ?

Cheers mate, even if i've missed something here, you can probably see what i'm trying to do, and it would probably help others thinking the same thing, so please could you explain the way of doing this? Thanks

The partition size doesn't change if you flash a new rom. The default options for the script gives you over 10mb free space, based on what you're currently using. CM7 & gapps doesn't use 136mb, more like 124mb. So just run the script once, get your 136mb system partition & forget about it, there will be plenty of room to flash any new version of cm7. That's the quickest way to do it, don't bother, there's no need for it.

If you're using the addon package that installs gmail, etc on the system partition, then it probably is closer to 136mb ... but still the default auto option will give you over 10mb free space, more than enough for any updates, you should end up with a system partition size of around 148mb if you're using 136mb.

The recommended method is this ...

1. Flash your rom & any updates, addons, themes, etc. Get it set up as you want it.

2. Run this backup script

3. Flash the backup it creates using the tpt method

That's it. There's no need to do step 2 & 3 again for any rom updates, just flash your new rom, you should have plenty of room unless you're going to install one which is much bigger. On Cm7 there's no need to flash anything else after you flash a new nightly. If it was a froyo rom, you'd just need to flash cache2tmpfs after flashing it.

The manual mode should work, but it isn't well tested & isn't the recommended method. The line you posted should give you a 145mb system partition, 2mb cache & the rest for userdata.

Edited by wbaw

Guest hugobosslives

cheers for the reply mate.

in answer to your question, yes i was installing a few more apps on the system like gmail and google voice.

so basically, i've been mislead by people who say that when you wipe everything and factory reset, these partitions disappear?