Incoming calls going straight to answer phone when using 2G data.

Guest godinandroid

Guest godinandroid

Hi All,

I've had my DHD for about a week now, and have noticed a fairly major problem with it, if I am actively using GPRS or EDGE data (using the internet, or if it's background syncing anything) and I receive a call, it'll go straight through to answer phone. I've been onto Orange, and (eventually) they've said that it is a network problem, but also that a Blackberry for example wont suffer from the problem (slightly conflicting). I've tried it on a Blackberry and it does suffer from the same problem, I assume they said this to try and take blame away from their network.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone found a solution? Before I tested the Blackberry I was hopeful that a software update could fix this, but it appears to be intrinsic on the NOM2 variety of GPRS data, of which all(?) network providers seem to use. Apparently if they moved to NOM1 then these problems wouldn't occur as a data stream would be dropped in favour of an incoming call. I can't find out why they don't use NOM1, as according to google it is a fairly widespread problem.

There is an interesting mention of it here - http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115...tag=mncol;title for the Iphone.

It truly seems a weird setup, and I'd be really grateful to anyone who can shed some light on why they use NOM2 and if there is a solution which I have overlooked.

Cheers :lol:

Guest LoneThread

This has always been the case since GPRS came out. 2G can only handle one or the other. No phone can get round this, it is a physical limitation of 2G. Only your network can make a change that disconnects the data connection when a call comes in. A phone isn't even aware of the incoming call if your data connection is active on 2G.

Guest godinandroid

So it is the network then :/

I wonder why they don't use the better version! It is strange that I haven't noticed it on my old blackberry, I suppose there weren't as many things trying to access the internet all the time.

How annoying.

Guest LoneThread

Back when I was on Orange in 2005, they did disconnect the data connection if I had a incoming call. I assume they've forgotten about this setting now, what with 3G and 3.5G....