10 things I love having installed on my Galaxy Tab

Guest PaulOBrien

Bit of a random post... thought i'd chronicle my top 10 things installed on my Galaxy Tab now i'm using it a bit more.

In alphabetical order.

1. ADW Launcher / ADW Launcher EX + Gala theme

What is it?

The Samsung stock launcher is, well, a bit nasty isn't it. So-so performance, unorthodox horizontal scrolling, those strange coloured squares behind the icons... ugh. Thankfully something better is out there, in the form of ADW Launcher / ADW Launcher EX (paid version) together with the Gala theme for some nice extra icons. :lol:

What do I like about it?

I love the extreme customisability of the desktop, dock and drawer, transparent drawer background, icon pack, speed, backup / restore of settings and much more. Having a 5 column setup in the app drawer is an instant win. :)

Where and how much?

Grab ADW Launcher for FREE or ADW Launcher EX for $3.15. The GS ADW Theme is also free (and has a great icon set).

adwlauncher1.pngadwlauncher2.png

2. Documents to Go

What is it?

An office documents viewer with great integration to online services such as Google Docs.

What do I like about it?

It's the best office viewer out there and if - like me - you work with Google Docs a lot, it's a must have. I'm guessing a few of us here use a Tablet and a Phone too, so it's a great way of keeping documents in sync when editing on both.

Where and how much?

Grab Documents to Go (basic version) for FREE and the upgrade key (to provide editing and online functionality) for $14.99.

docstogo1.png

3. Dolphin Browser HD

What is it?

A web browser!

What do I like about it?

Great UI, plugin support with a LastPass plugin (a MoDaCo Plus benefit and a brilliant tool), Gesture support, themes (the blue one looks great on the Tab) and a really nice UI that lets you access bookmarks / history / most visited off the left of the screen and plugins / themes off the right. It works brilliantly.

Where and how much?

Grab Dolphin Browser HD for FREE and optionally the Dolphin Browser License (which removes the non-intrusive ads, buy really if you wanna support the developer) for $4.99. I recommend the Blue Theme and the LastPass plugin too.

dolphinhd.png

4. Gingerbread Keyboard

What is it?

The keyboard from Gingerbread.

What do I like about it?

It's a great keyboard and it works particularly well on the Tab. I've tried a *lot* of keyboards and this is the one I stick with, and it's free too. Bonus!

Where and how much?

Steven Lin has posted the keyboard on the Market FREE, with a handy little tweak in 'Advanced Settings' which lets you fix haptic feedback on the Tab. A paid version is also available for $0.99.

gingerbreadkeyboard.png

5. LogMeIn Ignition

What is it?

A utility to remote control PCs.

What do I like about it?

As well as wanting to connect into my home PC periodically, as the tech-geek of the family i'm tasked with 'desktop support' for family members. LogMeIn Free makes this a lot easier, letting me remote control their computers and fix them from home. LogMeIn Ignition is the mobile client... a great demo of the benefits of the increased resolution of the Tab!

Where and how much?

Grab LogMeIn Ignition for a (frankly overpriced, but it's super-useful for me) $29.99.

logmein1.png

logmein2.png

6. NewsRob

What is it?

A Google Reader client.

What do I like about it?

It's simply the best RSS client on the Market. It's fast, effective, it looks great with it's recent cosmetic refresh and, in a nutshell, the Tab is great for catching up with your feeds.

Where and how much?

Grab NewsRob for FREE and optionally the Pro licence (to activate additional features and remove ads) for $6.85.

newsrob.png

7. Tasker

What is it?

A utility to perform selected tasks on events or schedules.

What do I like about it?

It's one of my 'indispensable tools' for Android. On my Tab I've set it to turn off WiFi and 3G when I turn the screen off (with a 1 minute delay), then turn on WiFi when I turn the screen on (if i'm at home) else turn 3G on. A real battery saver. I also have a couple of other tasks running every 15 minutes, as well as silencing notifications at night and turning them back on in the morning.

Where and how much?

Grab Tasker for $6.30.

tasker.png

8. TweetDeck

What is it?

A Twitter / Facebook / Foursquare client.

What do I like about it?

It is without a doubt (imho) the best Twitter client for Android and Facebook / Foursquare integration is a bonus. TweetDeck is particularly well suited to the Tab because you can choose a custom font size. It also has great support for Landscape mode.

Where and how much?

Grab TweetDeck for FREE.

tweetdeck.png

9. Widgetsoid

What is it?

A fully customisable switcher widget.

What do I like about it?

I like having buttons on my honmescreen for things like reboot, media scanner, wifi, airplane mode, contacts, etc. etc. - this widget has them ALL (literally). Hopefully the 'flashlight' function will soon work on the Tab too.

Where and how much?

Grab Widgetsoid FREE or optionally the donate version for $1.37.

widgetsoid.png

And finally... MoDaCo Custom ROM alpha2

What is it?

My custom ROM for the Galaxy Tab.

What do I like about it?

It's FAST - and it's gonna get a whole lot better too! :) This is only for the brave however...

Where and how much?

Grab my MoDaCo Custom ROM FREE (of course!).

mcr.png

Guest removed-14

A great selection of tools and apps. Big fan of TweetDeck and I'm tempted by DocumentsToGo. I'm thinking of using a VNC based solution for my remote admin rather than paying for LogMeIn or even a RDP client. Shame they all cost too.

I'll offer a few alternatives that I prefer :lol:

1. Launcher Pro

More stable and higher performance (in my experience) than adw ex. Addition of some custom widgets to mimic those that can be found on htc sense for example. Again massive configuration possible.

3. Miren browser

Not as bulky as Dolphin. I find dolphin has too much stuff i don't need. i also find it not to be as smooth as it could be. Miren offers lots of features that are useful, such as volume key scrolling, customisable press and long press, and the smart full screen mode makes browsing a complete joy.

4. You can't beat swype :)

8. Twicca

Quite frankly the best twitter app on android. It doesn't have facebook, but twitter wise, can't be beaten, especially if you rely on lists.

9. i use switchpro, but they are essentially the same. Switchpro lets you customise colours and transparency which is nice.

(you forgot to mention the kindle app :))

Edited by lekky

Guest zzleezz

Yeah, installed Kindle app on all my devices and recently wondered why I had never used it... (looks sheepishly at real kindle)

Little suprised Dropbox doesnt make your list?

Edited by zzleezz

Guest simon211175

I use the Kindle app on my Defy for times when I don't have my Kindle with me - for example, stuck in traffic or waiting for a takeaway etc :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Silvake

Nice collection, Paul, I use most of those apps all the time, but I may have some suggestions too:

- Launcher: How 'bout Zeam Launcher? IMHO it's probably the fastest launcher of them all and yet very classy with its minimalist approach, too.

- Keyboard: I agree with @lekky, Swype is one of the best keyboards ever. It's the only one I can use with our Romanian dictionaries that actually works great. Besides, there's no other keyboard in the android world capable of performing the same job in such a fast and elegant way (compared to it, SlideIt is kinda' joke). Love it, couldn't imagine texting without it anymore...

There are also quite few other apps I keep on every android device I use:

- Back-up: Titanium Backup and MyBackup Pro (different approaches for different results).

- Navigation: iGo (best maps) and Aura by Sygic (can't beat it's cool 3D interface, very nice to show off :P ).

- Misc: Smooth Calendar (even better one-row Sense-like widget), 3D watchdog, Y5 Battery Saver, BuzzOff, CallFilter Pro, COL Reminder, Skype...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest clockwork_LS

Thanks paul,

i have adopted several of your tips, here my top 10:

DropBox

Tweetdeck (thanks paul)

gingerbread keyboard (thanks paul)

Timetable Switzerland (Where the trains are on time :( )

Adobe Reader

Wallet

Aldiko

Listen

WhatsApp

Edited by clockwork_LS