[ROM] 26/Jan r0.2: de-crossed (cheque) ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [froyo] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest baiIvan
Hi guys,

Does anyone have problems with the WiFi on this ROM? I am getting disconnected all the time. If something is using the connection there are no problems but if it is not used for 2-3 min it'll disconnect. I haven't had any issues with the WiFi on the 2.1 de-oranged r8 ROM.

Another thing I noticed - a phone with the original Orange ROM is much snappier then mine with either And 2.1 or And 2.2. I have 7-8 applications installed and no fancy staff, I have further removed few extra things from the de-crossed r2 ROM before installing it. So at least in theory my phone should be at least on par with the other.

Quite often my phone would need few swipes before responding, unfortunately, I don't remember having that problem during the initial hour when the phone was with the factory ROM.

I hoped that after few restarts and with time these issues will fade, but they did not.

Anyone having similar problems? Or is this the expected behaviour?

Cheers, baiIvan

Hi again,

Thanks for the advices, but I have done all which was recommended (wipe data, check running tasks/applications, rebooted numerous times etc.). After about a week with de_crossed 0.2 the response is not that bad any more, but still not like the stock ROM and the GUI will still freeze sometimes. The performance in games is very good, but the issue (sluggishness) on the desktop still remains.

I have the auto-synchronization turned off - I am using K-9 mail (set to sync every 36 min), and no google services except the market, so I've started to wonder if the phone is not going in some sort of deep sleep, shutting down the wifi connection (I think there is nothing else to ping the connection except the email client). Because when I unlock it (wake it up) it will quickly reconnect and sync. What points me to this conclusion is the fact that battery drainage is minimal - the other night I charged the phone and unplugged it from the charger and in the morning it was still full 100% (8 hours) it dropped to 98% after a few calls around 2 o'clock in the afternoon, during that time the WiFi was supposed to be on.

Cheers, baiIvan

Guest oh!dougal
.... so I've started to wonder if the phone is not going in some sort of deep sleep, shutting down the wifi connection (I think there is nothing else to ping the connection except the email client). Because when I unlock it (wake it up) it will quickly reconnect and sync. What points me to this conclusion is the fact that battery drainage is minimal - the other night I charged the phone and unplugged it from the charger and in the morning it was still full 100% (8 hours) it dropped to 98% after a few calls around 2 o'clock in the afternoon, during that time the WiFi was supposed to be on.

Cheers, baiIvan

Welcome to the Forum.

This is an FAQ.

The Forum has a search function.

If you search for wifi sleep, you might find it has cropped up in one or two (hundred) threads, already.

Briefly, wifi shuts down on proper sleep. Always. With ALL roms. And yes, ALL does include standard/stock/original firmware. Wifi power gets shut off in proper sleep. Sad but true.

But the phone does not go into 'proper sleep' if its on the charger. Various other tactics can also prevent proper sleep (so only the screen goes off), but preventing sleep (away from the charger or usb) drains the battery rather quickly. And confusing 'screen save' with proper sleep is the cause of many unnecessary threads.

This is absolutely NOTHING to do with this particular rom.

Guest defcrash
I dont use facebook or any other social network, all i have is 4 mail accounts (its set to check 2 accounts every 30min and the other 2 every hour), my weather widget (fancy pro) to check every hour and 3G watch dog to update every 30min.

I say it uses alot of battery cause if i turn off 3G the battery barely drops (last night i went to sleep, disabled 3G, battery was on 47%, i woke up 6h later and the battery was in 46%). I did a batery recalibration the same day i installed this rom, will see in the next's charge's how the battery performs, i don't mind cause i charge the phone every day so.... i'm really happy with it. :P

With 3G always on i'm getting a drop between 4%-6% per hour without using the phone, been testing that today, just sent 2 messages, received another 2, been waking up the phone every hour +/- just to check the battery and mail, also, phone is getting to deep sleep cause i can only wake it up with the power button. Is that too much or normal (4%-6% per hour with minimal use)?

Guest mELIANTE
With 3G always on i'm getting a drop between 4%-6% per hour without using the phone, been testing that today, just sent 2 messages, received another 2, been waking up the phone every hour +/- just to check the battery and mail, also, phone is getting to deep sleep cause i can only wake it up with the power button. Is that too much or normal (4%-6% per hour with minimal use)?

When you say 3G on do you mean sync on too? If that's not on then I wouldn't consider that drop normal.

Guest h@mster81

It dropped from 100% to 95% last night. Phone was in airplane mode so I wonder how it's possible?

Using Opera Mini for 5-10 minutes -5%

Making a short phone call lasting 10 minutes -5%

It used to be better with Modaco R4 or even stock rom (OSF).

Guest NikiHarrop

Is there any chance any one can use sebs kernel source and config and add kk overclock code to it. Its over my head when talking about compiling source etc. This rom is my favorite and i will be sticking with it i have had near zero faults with this rom im just envious of kks overclock. Any one please! :P

Edited by NikiHarrop

Guest jasonXXx

Is there any chance any one can use sebs kernel source and config and add kk overclock code to it. Its over my head when talking about compiling source etc. This rom is my favorite and i will be sticking with it i have had near zero faults with this rom im just envious of kks overclock. Any one please!

RE:

I second that would love to see overclocking on this rom.

Guest Rotmann
It dropped from 100% to 95% last night. Phone was in airplane mode so I wonder how it's possible?

Using Opera Mini for 5-10 minutes -5%

Making a short phone call lasting 10 minutes -5%

It used to be better with Modaco R4 or even stock rom (OSF).

Don't rely on the procentual battery report of android it's not accurate. Also did you recalibrate the battery? After installing a rom it needs some cycles to learn.

@overclock people, FLB announced OC support in the next ROM :P

Guest NikiHarrop
Don't rely on the procentual battery report of android it's not accurate. Also did you recalibrate the battery? After installing a rom it needs some cycles to learn.

@overclock people, FLB announced OC support in the next ROM :P

Thanks for info about FLB and overclock its up now but im not changing rom this is the best for me just wish we had a option to overclock.

Guest ThrashMan

Nice ROM Seb....only fault I can find is the network name is blank in the pull down notification blind and related is on the lock screen it says "no service" when the status bar quite clearly shows that to be not true :P

I said it before: this rom works great BUT it eats more battery that it should, at least for me and a few others...so something is not 100% right. :P

I have to agree. Desoftened 0.3, my minimal phone use and CPU tuner, got me 4 days or more. This ROM is getting me 24 hrs max.

I dont know if this is a symptom of something else, but I ran the CPU tuner checks, and it was failing to get access to any of the governers. This would explain at least why CPU tuner is not delivering its battery saving magic for me, but it may also mean something to someone else about why battery performance is an issue. I can see that if you spend a third of your day on the phone, the results you get may be totaly different.

The reality is, I am not sure I actually had an issue with Desoftened 0.3, but as it stopped moving I thought I must be missing out on something. I am not entirely sure what the ROM dream we are chasing is, but given the difference that desoftened made to the out of box SF, I have accepted that eveyone else knows more about this than I do.

Was there an actual issue with desoftened that I hadnt noticed?

Either way we are all lucky enough to have a ludicrous level of choice, thanks to the hard work of a few. My thanks to them.

Guest h@mster81

I did battery recalibration last night and it improved a bit but still not very impressive.

Just few things to add to bug list:

LED tends not to turn green while charging phone switched off.

Task Manager does not start sometimes saying system is busy.

Otherwise it is great ROM!!!

Guest NikiHarrop
I did battery recalibration last night and it improved a bit but still not very impressive.

Otherwise it is great ROM!!!

Yes i get the problem with the taskmanager but im assuming its because the system is busy lol

Guest Rotmann
Thanks for info about FLB and overclock its up now but im not changing rom this is the best for me just wish we had a option to overclock.

Sebastian404's ROMs are as stock as possible, that's the way he does it. We all know his opinion to overclocking, this won't happen. This is why I told you about FLB, the new OC kernel is already up. I can confirm that my wife with this de-crossed 2.2 has much worse battery life than me on FLB Froyo or de-softened 0.3 with the new kernel and all the fixes. It seems to me that it has the same battery problems as JJ, not going to sleep sometimes.

Guest oh!dougal
Nice ROM Seb....only fault I can find is the network name is blank in the pull down notification blind and related is on the lock screen it says "no service" when the status bar quite clearly shows that to be not true :D

Since that problem seems to be unique to you, resolving it might be helped by telling people (inc Seb) what network you are on ...

Works perfectly for me, on T-Mobile UK, and shows T-Mobile Orange when roaming onto the linked network.

Battery -

I said it before: this rom works great BUT it eats more battery that it should, at least for me and a few others...so something is not 100% right. :P

I have to agree. Desoftened 0.3, my minimal phone use and CPU tuner, got me 4 days or more. This ROM is getting me 24 hrs max.

I dont know if this is a symptom of something else, but I ran the CPU tuner checks, and it was failing to get access to any of the governers. ...

I think its time that at least one of the people with battery-runtime problems checked to see what is eating their battery!

Unless Seb actually has the problem, he can't investigate what is causing it.

But if you folks could tell him where your battery is going to, then he can maybe look into why that might be ... which opens the door to doing something about it.

So the first thing is to check where its going!

The app Spare Parts (free from Market) can check battery usage, and particularly usefully what app might be preventing the phone from sleeping.

If you look at battery history then (from the top popup) by partial wake usage (who is saying "don't sleep") and then by cpu usage and maybe by network usage, you should get a pretty good idea of what your phone is 'busy' with ...

The battery-charge-state led (while sleeping) fix is yet another of those little fixes to the FroYo ZTE kernel source that I believe have not (yet!) been "published" as is actually required under open source copyright.

I've had that from task manager too - because I only use it to kill something that isn't responding (SetCPU seems a bit unstable with this rom - but it does work, enabling the slowest 122 idle speed, and use of profiles to throttle back as the battery nears empty), and in circumstances of a non-responding app I've had this 'system busy' message a couple of times. I put it down to the non-responding process rather than the rest of rom, so I personally don't worry about that one.

Guest ThrashMan
Since that problem seems to be unique to you, resolving it might be helped by telling people (inc Seb) what network you are on ...

Works perfectly for me, on T-Mobile UK, and shows T-Mobile Orange when roaming onto the linked network.

Good point!! I'm on giffgaff (O2). The APN is listed and everything works fine.

Guest mELIANTE

Reboot happened again and, you guessed it, I wasn't catlogging it... :P

But the screen of the phone went all corrupted in the moment before the reboot. I'm trying the hw acceleration enabled gralloc.msm7k.so from eclair and see if it is related, as I have hw acc on.

Guest captain1982

The battery drains like crazy when data is enabled.

Somebody mentioned it on the last page and I had the same issue when using this. Perhaps some other members could disable their data connection for a while and let Seb know if this is a genuine problem or not.

Guest h@mster81
The battery drains like crazy when data is enabled.

Somebody mentioned it on the last page and I had the same issue when using this. Perhaps some other members could disable their data connection for a while and let Seb know if this is a genuine problem or not.

I just turned data off last night and it dropped by 2% only. Also whenever I use any browser my battery widget starts counting down. 69% 68% 67% 66% :P

I just installed Spare Parts. Will report back tomorrow.

Guest Sebastian404
Good point!! I'm on giffgaff (O2). The APN is listed and everything works fine.

If you go into settings -> About Phone -> Status what has it got under 'Network'?

Guest Kthulhu
g about it.

So the first thing is to check where its going!

The app Spare Parts (free from Market) can check battery usage, and particularly usefully what app might be preventing the phone from sleeping.

I did and only found that Android system Partial wakelock used most of teh battery checking "partial wake usage". The point is what was keeping my phone awake: I think, not sure, some synchronization process; I had the synchronization symbol on the status bar during long times.

Hope this help. and sorry if can't be more precise.

I have used the de-crossed ROM over the last week and I must confirm, that I did have some issues with battery life. Sometimes, the phone failed to sleep properly and the battery was out of juice by the morning, with the phone being fully charged in the evening. However, I wasn't able to track out what is causing the problem.

The deal breaker for me was another bug - I am using A2DP headphones for listening to music while going to and from my work and on de-crossed, a strange thing happened to me frequently. After several songs (sometimes right after the first one), the sound stopped coming into my headphones, while at the same time, the music player seemed to continue to "play" the song - but no sound was coming from the speaker either. After stopping and resuming the playback, the problem disappeared for one song and then appeared again. Sometimes the music player even froze for a minute or so. With any other ROM I have tried, the music playback through the Sonyericsson MW600 headset was just fine.

Guest Rotmann
But if you folks could tell him where your battery is going to, then he can maybe look into why that might be ... which opens the door to doing something about it.

Sorry, she got two random reboots and did not have the patience/time to analyze what drained the battery like crazy, switched to FLB Froyo and got read of the problems. Not a fair way to do it but she needs her phone at work to be reliable.

Guest h@mster81
I just installed Spare Parts. Will report back tomorrow.

It's only winamp on partial wake up but only for 56 mins and OperaMini on network usage. So nothing special. Battery drops when Winamp and OperaMini NOT running... I just turned data off.