wireless file transfer

Guest shadow wave

Guest shadow wave

So far I've tried two apps to transfer files to the vega though my wireless network, SwiFTP and android manager. Both have worked at some point but it seems that they work randomly. Some times I try to connect from my laptop and it connects and other times it can't find the device. When I can't connect I also can't ping the vega.

Does anyone have any idea why I can ping the vega sometimes but other times I can't even though no settings have changed?

Thanks.

Guest trevor432990
So far I've tried two apps to transfer files to the vega though my wireless network, SwiFTP and android manager. Both have worked at some point but it seems that they work randomly. Some times I try to connect from my laptop and it connects and other times it can't find the device. When I can't connect I also can't ping the vega.

Does anyone have any idea why I can ping the vega sometimes but other times I can't even though no settings have changed?

Thanks.

Have you setup a static IP address on the Vega and/or router ? :lol:

Guest shadow wave
Have you setup a static IP address on the Vega and/or router ? :lol:

No, it gets set each time it connects but it normally gets the same IP. If I'm changing the IP address I tell the software on the laptop to look for to the one the vega currently has will that make a difference?

Guest warriorscot

For wireless transfers so far for me has been doing it using Samba which is handy because its what windows uses by default. Between the SMB module in astro for Vega to PC or Samba filesharing on android app for PC to Vega its very easy and reliable to move files over my network. It's especially nice not to have to set up FTP(not ideal for file transfers) or anything else on my home machine although I can also transfer using my RDP software both teamviewer and VNC are capable of secure file transfers over the internet.

Guest trevor432990
No, it gets set each time it connects but it normally gets the same IP. If I'm changing the IP address I tell the software on the laptop to look for to the one the vega currently has will that make a difference?

Well having a fixed IP address will help so you don't have to keep searching for it I guess. There was a recent thread which explained how you could stop wi-fi from dropping out under certain circumstances which is perhaps what you may be experiencing so try doing a quick search and if you get stuck come back and ask again :lol:

Guest shadow wave
For wireless transfers so far for me has been doing it using Samba which is handy because its what windows uses by default. Between the SMB module in astro for Vega to PC or Samba filesharing on android app for PC to Vega its very easy and reliable to move files over my network. It's especially nice not to have to set up FTP(not ideal for file transfers) or anything else on my home machine although I can also transfer using my RDP software both teamviewer and VNC are capable of secure file transfers over the internet.

Which apps do you use on the vega?

Thanks

Guest warriorscot
Between the SMB module in astro for Vega to PC or Samba filesharing on android app

Like I said Samba filesharing on android on the vega and Astro file manager is my default file manager so I just got the astro SMB module although ES file explorer or wireless explorer or really any of the major alternative file manager apps have either built in samba support or a samba add on.

No software needed on the PC at all as long as it is windows it uses Samba for filesharing so no extras are required.

Guest shadow wave
Like I said Samba filesharing on android on the vega and Astro file manager is my default file manager so I just got the astro SMB module although ES file explorer or wireless explorer or really any of the major alternative file manager apps have either built in samba support or a samba add on.

No software needed on the PC at all as long as it is windows it uses Samba for filesharing so no extras are required.

This doesn't work as the vega can't see the pc. I can use Teamviewer to control the PC so they can both connect to each other in some way.

Both the vega and PC can connect to the internet.

Guest warriorscot

What do you mean the vega can't see the PC. In Astro? If you are using astro you need to go to the network page and type in your PC credentials so it knows what machine to connect to pretty similar to as you would set up a manual connection in windows. The samba filesharing app starts a samba server on the vega so as I said it works PC to Vega so you see the vega on your PC but it doesn't browse files from the PC.

PS Teamviewer uses an external connection via the internet so it isn't really working on your internal network.

Edited by warriorscot

Guest shadow wave
What do you mean the vega can't see the PC. In Astro? If you are using astro you need to go to the network page and type in your PC credentials so it knows what machine to connect to pretty similar to as you would set up a manual connection in windows. The samba filesharing app starts a samba server on the vega so as I said it works PC to Vega so you see the vega on your PC but it doesn't browse files from the PC.

PS Teamviewer uses an external connection via the internet so it isn't really working on your internal network.

The PC can't ping the vega but can ping the router. The vega can't ping the PC or the router even thought it can connect to the internet though the router.

Do you have a link for the samba filesharing app I could only find SHB file sharing.

Guest warriorscot

I attached the apk for the samba filesharing app there should be a link on this forum if you search the forum you will actually find lots of info on this topic which you really should have done before posting.

Sounds like the problem isn't anything to do with the app you are using its your LAN isn't configured properly. Does your LAN network actually work, is your PC configured for file sharing over LAN? The vega is pretty easy to connect to the network I would make sure your PC and router are configured properly for sharing files over LAN. Once that's done you can try to access the PC from the Vega using whatever file explorer you have chosen. Make sure your credentials are correct for connecting to the PC.

SambaFilesharing3APK_b101017.zip

Guest shadow wave
I attached the apk for the samba filesharing app there should be a link on this forum if you search the forum you will actually find lots of info on this topic which you really should have done before posting.

Sounds like the problem isn't anything to do with the app you are using its your LAN isn't configured properly. Does your LAN network actually work, is your PC configured for file sharing over LAN? The vega is pretty easy to connect to the network I would make sure your PC and router are configured properly for sharing files over LAN. Once that's done you can try to access the PC from the Vega using whatever file explorer you have chosen. Make sure your credentials are correct for connecting to the PC.

I did search before posting but I couldn't see anything to similar to this issue. My LAN network is configured for file sharing as laptops running XP, Vista and Windows 7 can all share files. The advent vega could share files before but it just stopped working. None of the settings were changed on my network it just appeared to stop working.

Thanks for the help anyway, I will try messing around with my network configuration as I think it probably is just my network that's the problem.

Any idea why the vega can't ping the router but can connect to the internet? My laptop can ping the router and can also connect to the internet.

• 1 month later...
Guest simonta

Bit of a shout for WarriorScot (BTW, always wondered about the Vulcan pic, used to work on those - ooops, gives my age away somewhat!).

I've tried Astro, with SMB module, and eStrongs. Both of them return "cannot find server". I'm using IP address and I can ping both ways.

Any ideas?