GPS Navigation on the Vega

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990
I reinstalled, it appears to be working now.. it is not a branded gps, cost me £45 when i bought it. Used with tom tom 5 on zodiac and treo 680.

Is therea way to get the maps on the sd card

Regards

Tony

Not too sure if you can download all Google UK maps on to an SD from anywhere but there are other apps like Sygic which work on Android and allow that but at a cost whereas Google is free and you can normally cache your maps at home before any journey saving on what would have been 3G data traffic on the phone in the process.

I reinstalled, it appears to be working now.. it is not a branded gps, cost me £45 when i bought it. Used with tom tom 5 on zodiac and treo 680.

Is therea way to get the maps on the sd card

Regards

Tony

Not with Google Maps, but you can with other nav programmes. Best bet is to load up your journey before leaving using Google Maps, which will pre-cache on your SD card everything you need to get to your destination. Issue is rerouting info / traffic / layers etc WONT be included.

Guest TylerDurdenK

Thought I might as well post here.

I am stuck at the same point QLF was in the second post of this thread.

Google Maps finds my GPS position no problem, but Navigator will not let me passed the "GPS is disabled Show location settings?" loop.

Iam running 1.08 with MDC Add-On R6 and MCK.

please help!

Guest trevor432990
Thought I might as well post here.

I am stuck at the same point QLF was in the second post of this thread.

Google Maps finds my GPS position no problem, but Navigator will not let me passed the "GPS is disabled Show location settings?" loop.

Iam running 1.08 with MDC Add-On R6 and MCK.

please help!

As QLF said already in the other post you started today

"I had the exact same issue, tried everything on every forum to get it working, but the only thing that did was a clean instal of 1.06.05 and custom rom addon + PP.

Now working perfectly smile.gif"

So go back and re-install from 1.06.05 and try 'BT GPS Provider' and 'Car Home' apps again and it should work then you can step up to 1.08 checking after each step.

Guest TylerDurdenK

Okay, been through the steps again, and I am in Navigation, but stuck on a "Checking navigation availability" box.

I backed out of that and tried going to maps. That worked, and I am now able to navigate too!

Thanks for the help.

It appears that whatever 1.08 did to add the GPS part of the location menu, stops this from working.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest trevor432990
Okay, been through the steps again, and I am in Navigation, but stuck on a "Checking navigation availability" box.

I backed out of that and tried going to maps. That worked, and I am now able to navigate too!

Thanks for the help.

It appears that whatever 1.08 did to add the GPS part of the location menu, stops this from working.

Glad to hear that. Yes there is something amiss somewhere along the track. ;)

Guest trevor432990
Is there any other way to enable GPS without having to revert back to 1.06.5

You can try it on v1.08 if you like but from what we've heard some people have had issues but we'd love to find out if it does so please feel free to give it a go ;)

You can try it on v1.08 if you like but from what we've heard some people have had issues but we'd love to find out if it does so please feel free to give it a go ;)

I have GPS working OK on 1.08 with MCR R7. BT GPS (Wayfinder) and Bluetooth GPS Providor.

However, not all Apps properly show that GPS is active - e.g. I have CoPilot running and can plot a route & navigate BUT GPS Test shows that I have a lock (accuracy @ 1m but doesn't show which or how many satellites I'm locked onto.

Guest trevor432990
I have GPS working OK on 1.08 with MCR R7. BT GPS (Wayfinder) and Bluetooth GPS Providor.

However, not all Apps properly show that GPS is active - e.g. I have CoPilot running and can plot a route & navigate BUT GPS Test shows that I have a lock (accuracy @ 1m but doesn't show which or how many satellites I'm locked onto.

Does that mean CoPilot is useable still and have you tried it with the 'Car Home' app yet? Doesn't BT GPS Provider tell you how many satellites it's locked onto?

Edited by trevor432990

Does that mean CoPilot is useable still and have you tried it with the 'Car Home' app yet? Doesn't BT GPS Provider tell you how many satellites it's locked onto?

Yes copilot is usable but haven't tried with car home

GPS provider shows correct satellite lock but other apps don't - strange

Guest trevor432990
Yes copilot is usable but haven't tried with car home

GPS provider shows correct satellite lock but other apps don't - strange

So long as CoPilot is useable I guess that's the main thing. Can you give 'Car Home' a test for us please? ;)

So long as CoPilot is useable I guess that's the main thing. Can you give 'Car Home' a test for us please? ;)

Grumble ....grumble ;) - don't have it in the R7 MCR but I'll cook and try another version later

Guest trevor432990
Grumble ....grumble ;) - don't have it in the R7 MCR but I'll cook and try another version later

Hehe sorry about that .... hope it all bakes nicely ;)

Guest trevor432990
Any update on this one over the weekend?

Well sort of .... as I had problems installing a new voice for the Navigator I decided to try upgrading to r7 myself. So now have MCR r7 and Kernel MCK-R2 installed but unfortunately I can't get GPS to work yet. TylerDurden (contributor on this topic) however reckons he can get GPS running on his MCR r7 machine but his Kernel is still v1.06.5 apparently which kind of narrows the problem down a bit I guess. Will stick with this version for now and keep you posted on whether I can get it going again. :P

Guest trevor432990

Post from Tyler originally

I haven't changed anything since following your guide!

BTW you keep saying you want to get back to 1.06.5, but unless I'm confused R7 is only an add on for 1.06.5. so you should still be on 1.06.5.

*EDIT* I had a quick look and it appears R7 is indeed a custom ROM, however it remains true that I have changed nothing on my Bluetooth GPS Provider preferences.

For clarity, here they are:

Choose GPS receiver - BT GPS V10 (this is the Wayfinder)

Force - tick

Switch Bluetooth - Tick

Autostop - Untick

Raw HDOP - Tick

GPS Error - 3

DGPS Base Error - 2.5

GPS Type - Other

all other options are greyed out.

Hope you get it working. At what point does it fail?

Guest trevor432990

Thanks I'll check these settings out. It goes wrong after clicking on start icon in BT GPS app. Comes up as started with blue radar icon in bar but then a red GPS Problem icon pops up as well so can't get satellite data right now.

Update:- Solved one problem when I realised that the r7 update had changed the 'Device Name' on the Vega and Bluetooth seems to use this when linking to devices after they have been paired. So I unpaired the 'BT GPS V10' device and re-Paired it again so that it picked up the Vega's new device name. So now I am acquiring satellite data properly which is being sent and processed by the 'BT GPS Provider' app to set my current location. So far so good but when I run up the 'Car Home' app and click on Navigate it displays a pop-up saying 'GPS is Disabled - Show location settings OK?' and it then displays the 'Location & Security settings' and there is an option listed called 'Use GPS satellites' but it is greyed out and inaccessible.

Now Googling like mad to see if there is any way of fooling Android into thinking GPS is installed in the Vega :P oh and I have got 'Allow Mock Locations' set

Guest What_The_Fox_Hat
Thanks I'll check these settings out. It goes wrong after clicking on start icon in BT GPS app. Comes up as started with blue radar icon in bar but then a red GPS Problem icon pops up as well so can't get satellite data right now.

Update:- Solved one problem when I realised that the r7 update had changed the 'Device Name' on the Vega and Bluetooth seems to use this when linking to devices after they have been paired. So I unpaired the 'BT GPS V10' device and re-Paired it again so that it picked up the Vega's new device name. So now I am acquiring satellite data properly which is being sent and processed by the 'BT GPS Provider' app to set my current location. So far so good but when I run up the 'Car Home' app and click on Navigate it displays a pop-up saying 'GPS is Disabled - Show location settings OK?' and it then displays the 'Location & Security settings' and there is an option listed called 'Use GPS satellites' but it is greyed out and inaccessible.

Now Googling like mad to see if there is any way of fooling Android into thinking GPS is installed in the Vega :P oh and I have got 'Allow Mock Locations' set

Hi there,

have the same setup as you and have the same issue - click on Navigate it displays a pop-up saying 'GPS is Disabled - Show location settings OK? but in addition i started hearing directions being given verbally. Tried opening 'Maps' app but got the same message as before. Then opened 'Latitude' app and could see the map including the route plotted! Unfortunately i didn't have the opportunity to go driving to see if the verbal commands continued but I assume they would have.

Not sure if that's any help but it does seem the navigation is working in the background, just need to find a way to skip the popup message.

Guest amarko5
Hi there,

have the same setup as you and have the same issue - click on Navigate it displays a pop-up saying 'GPS is Disabled - Show location settings OK? but in addition i started hearing directions being given verbally. Tried opening 'Maps' app but got the same message as before. Then opened 'Latitude' app and could see the map including the route plotted! Unfortunately i didn't have the opportunity to go driving to see if the verbal commands continued but I assume they would have.

Not sure if that's any help but it does seem the navigation is working in the background, just need to find a way to skip the popup message.

I had exactly the same so currently i have gone back to back to 1.06.5 and applied a saved R6 and all is working again

i wonder if our illustrious @paul could have a look and see whats up. :P

Guest trevor432990

Thanks for the tips guys. I also noticed that Maps work to plot both your current location and directions to your destination it's only when you click on the blue arrow to go into Navigator that this silly pop-up blockage occurs. The fact that the 'Use GPS Satellites' is greyed out concerns me that something in the kernel or mods has changed (perhaps to save battery because someone assumed that as GPS is not installed in Vega why bother) and so we (or @Paul) need to put some code in to re-instate the GPS option in settings. Anyone know where the kernel came from? If it was from Advent then maybe Paul can speak to his contacts there about this.

Will keep Googling away to see if anyone else has experienced and overcome the issue but at the moment it does seem going back to 1.06.xx kernel is the only way right now which is a shame :P

P.S. I have also read that some USA mobile companies are trying to charge differently for data being used for GPS through 3G presumably because they are worried (or more likely see a business opportunity) that everyone is binning their standalone sat/navs in favour of mobile or tethered phone GPS & Map data thereby increasing the traffic on the network. Pure speculation here but maybe Google is being squeezed to stop alternative routes (i.e. external GPS devices) from being used to protect their revenue stream? Sorry maybe I'm just getting too cynical in this age of austerity.

Guest TylerDurdenK

I am now suffering from the GPS Location problem. God knows why this has changed on my device as at the time of writing my post above everything worked and I have changed nothing at all on my device.

Also a quick note: The "USe GPS Satellites" setting wasn't there at all on version 1.06.5, so if we can remove it that might sort this issue out on this later build.

Edited by TylerDurdenK