Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest BlackTigerX

rebel1,

Unpacked your boot.img and replaced the ramdisk with the 'stock' vegacomb one. Added to 1.7 vegacomb and flash the tablet.

Got corrupt screen green and red lines then grey screen. Now I need to get the windows pc running again so I can nvflash it again.

Unless you have any great tips on how to do this via Linux.

I will have a look at the ROM you have uploaded and I'll try to strip in down ("a lot") for you.

Billy..

Billy, could you upload rebel1's kernel with the replaced ramdisk please?

Would like to test some things here :)

Edited by BlackTigerX

Guest wooshy1

first off great work on this kernel eduardo

rebel1,

Unpacked your boot.img and replaced the ramdisk with the 'stock' vegacomb one. Added to 1.7 vegacomb and flash the tablet.

Got corrupt screen green and red lines then grey screen. Now I need to get the windows pc running again so I can nvflash it again.

Unless you have any great tips on how to do this via Linux.

I will have a look at the ROM you have uploaded and I'll try to strip in down ("a lot") for you.

Billy..

Yeah I got this far it is probably something todo with the nand map and/or the memory map in the vegacomb kernel be different to that in the eduardo kernel.

I was going to try fastbooting eduardo kernel + vegacomb ramdisk + vegacomb kernel command line parameters but i have run out of time tonight :(

eduardo did mention earlier in this thread that he wasnt sure if the nand partitions could be set from the command line if they cant the kernel needs to be rebuilt with the vegacomb nand partition sizes and/or memory map.

btw nvflash is available for linux. Think its part of the linux 4 tegra pack a few posts back.

also the iconia system image is for a 2.6.36 kernel, i dont know what changes, if any, have been made to the vegacomb system to get it to run on the 2.6.32 kernel

Edited by wooshy1

Guest BillyBobJoe

first off great work on this kernel eduardo

Yeah I got this far it is probably something todo with the nand map and/or the memory map in the vegacomb kernel be different to that in the eduardo kernel.

I was going to try fastbooting eduardo kernel + vegacomb ramdisk + vegacomb kernel command line parameters but i have run out of time tonight :(

eduardo did mention earlier in this thread that he wasnt sure if the nand partitions could be set from the command line if they cant the kernel needs to be rebuilt with the vegacomb nand partition sizes and/or memory map.

Thanks wooshy1,

I too have run out of time for tonight.

eduardo did mentions that the memory map was set in the build and wasn't sure if they could be over ridden at the command line, but it would be good if some gave it a go.

I was looking at trying this kernel on a Transformer ROM to see where I gets to. My kids enjoy the working title of my work-in-progress - NitComb (as it's full of bugs).....maybe a new Comb for the Vega is on the way???

Billy..

Guest BillyBobJoe

Billy, could you upload rebel1's kernel with the replaced ramdisk please?

Would like to test some things here :)

For what it's worth, here you are BlackTigerX.... a boot.img with the eduardo/rebel1 kernel and the ram-disk from vegacomb1.7 (corvus & HomerSP)

Billy..

boot.img

Guest BlackTigerX

For what it's worth, here you are BlackTigerX.... a boot.img with the eduardo/rebel1 kernel and the ram-disk from vegacomb1.7 (corvus & HomerSP)

Billy..

Thanks, can't compile mkbootimg right now that's why I couldn't merge the ramdisk with the kernel :)

Guest a_appleby

Here it´s the boot.img

Don´t forget that yo need to edit the ramdisk, because i'm booting from sdcard,

cu. rebel1

Hi,

this is the system.img, that i boot from my sdcard.

Iconia system.img

It boots to the Welcome screen and prompts you to pick the language. The touch screen is broken. I put the IT* file in usr/idc.

Guest newbe5

It boots to the Welcome screen and prompts you to pick the language. The touch screen is broken. I put the IT* file in usr/idc.

Are you booting this from NAND or the SD?

Guest newbe5

I am booting it from the NAND with a ramdisk fixed to mount properly from NAND.

Can you please post your boot.img? So far we are all using SD booting, afaik nobody else has got it booting from NAND.

Guest a_appleby

Can you please post your boot.img? So far we are all using SD booting, afaik nobody else has got it booting from NAND.

Why? The touch screen is broken.

Guest newbe5

Why? The touch screen is broken.

This can be fixed, the important part is to see your ramdisk to see how you got this correctly booting from the NAND. All of my testing to get this working so far has failed, I have only managed to boot this kernel into Android by pointing the ramdisk to ext4 partitions on the sdcard. Everyone else has the same issues, as soon as you try to boot it from NAND it dies.

Edited by newbe5

Guest a_appleby

This can be fixed, the important part is to see your ramdisk to see how you got this correctly booting from the NAND. All of my testing to get this working so far has failed, I have only managed to boot this kernel into Android by pointing the ramdisk to ext4 partitions on the sdcard. Everyone else has the same issues, as soon as you try to boot it from NAND it dies.

Please let me know how to fix it so I can actually test this.

Guest newbe5

Please let me know how to fix it so I can actually test this.

Well the first thing to try is to add the touchscreen config file, but you said you already did this? Adding this fixed the issue for rebel1. If you could please share your method for booting from NAND, I will try my best to help you fix the touchscreen issue! That way we have multiple people checking logs and seeing what the issue is :P

EDIT: Nevermind I just got it booting from NAND myself :P At least partially! I was using direct blocks to mount, but for some reason that wouldn't work. Changed it to using mnt@system/data/cache again (and in the secondary init) and I' at least getting to bootanim now. Still not wanting to share your boot.img?

Edited by newbe5

Guest ejtagle

Hey.. those thing i read about HC .. extremely good news ...! :D -- Anything i could help with, tell! ;) -- Even if i don't have enough time to setup a development environment (busy with other things), any detail about the kernel i could help with, just tell .. :)

Eduardo

Guest newbe5

Hey.. those thing i read about HC .. extremely good news ...! :D -- Anything i could help with, tell! ;) -- Even if i don't have enough time to setup a development environment (busy with other things), any detail about the kernel i could help with, just tell .. :)

Eduardo

Hey man! It's booting well now! Got some issues we need to work out, but it's getting there. Some confusing right now about the emmc settings, the sdcard blocks have changed from mntblk3 to mntblk0, but im struggling to get vold to mount them properly :/ Any suggestions? Other than that, we are just trying to get Wifi working in the transformer image we are now using as a base, video acceleration and touchscreen work great though!

newbe5

Guest ejtagle

Hey man! It's booting well now! Got some issues we need to work out, but it's getting there. Some confusing right now about the emmc settings, the sdcard blocks have changed from mntblk3 to mntblk0, but im struggling to get vold to mount them properly :/ Any suggestions? Other than that, we are just trying to get Wifi working in the transformer image we are now using as a base, video acceleration and touchscreen work great though!

newbe5

I would expect that. Remember that most tegra2 tablets have, in fact, 2 sdcards. One of them (the first one) is the emmc (just the internal storage, and it is just an sdcard directly soldered to the board, with no housing), and the other one is the external sdcard.

The tegra2 hw has provisions for 4 sdcards, usually the first one is the internal emmc (not present on vega), the 2nd one could be anything, here it is the wifi adapter (it is an sdio card also without housing and directly soldered to the vega board) and the 3rd one is the external sdcard. As we know the 1st card is not present, the kernel assigns the mtblk0 to the first valid card, in this case, the 3rd.

(and, btw, i do suspect one of the unpopulated connectors on the vega board is used for that extra missing emmc ;) -- Nice subject for a hw mod :)

Wifi, i think that compiling the module with debugging messages enabled could tell what is happening there :)

Regards,

Eduardo

Guest rebel1

Hi eduardo,

great to see you. You are here for the right time.

I´m struggling with the alsa sound device.

This is from dmesg:

<3>[   14.034087] tegra_hifi_hw_params(): unable to get required 44100 hz sampling rate of 12288000 hz SYSCLK

<3>[   14.034105] asoc: machine hw_params failed

<3>[   21.667964] init: untracked pid 152 exited

<4>[   38.314406] Normal WIFI mode.

<4>[   38.315085] ar6000_pwr_on --enter

<6>[   38.571587] binder: release 101:101 transaction 502 in, still active

<6>[   38.571601] binder: send failed reply for transaction 502 to 131:144

<3>[   38.711259] tegra_hifi_hw_params(): unable to get required 44100 hz sampling rate of 12288000 hz SYSCLK

<3>[   38.711270] asoc: machine hw_params failed

Guest a_appleby

newbe5

Guess what? They're not like that here which is very strange.

I would expect that. Remember that most tegra2 tablets have, in fact, 2 sdcards. One of them (the first one) is the emmc (just the internal storage, and it is just an sdcard directly soldered to the board, with no housing), and the other one is the external sdcard.

The tegra2 hw has provisions for 4 sdcards, usually the first one is the internal emmc (not present on vega), the 2nd one could be anything, here it is the wifi adapter (it is an sdio card also without housing and directly soldered to the vega board) and the 3rd one is the external sdcard. As we know the 1st card is not present, the kernel assigns the mtblk0 to the first valid card, in this case, the 3rd.

(and, btw, i do suspect one of the unpopulated connectors on the vega board is used for that extra missing emmc ;) -- Nice subject for a hw mod :)

Wifi, i think that compiling the module with debugging messages enabled could tell what is happening there :)

Regards,

Eduardo

Is the firmware required for it or is the one from the kernel tree supposed to work? The driver from the kernel tree fails to work for me on this rom.

Hi eduardo,

This is from dmesg:

<3>[   14.034087] tegra_hifi_hw_params(): unable to get required 44100 hz sampling rate of 12288000 hz SYSCLK

<3>[   38.711259] tegra_hifi_hw_params(): unable to get required 44100 hz sampling rate of 12288000 hz SYSCLK

The issue is that it tries to use the wrong SYSCLK frequency for 44.1kHz. 12288000 shouldn't be picked when trying to set sound sampling rate to 44.1kHz.

If you share the transformer based image, I can help with the wifi. I've built it along with everything it needs, but I get some errors related to NVMM_MANAGER_SRV after the ar6000 module is loaded.

All other images I've tried, other than rebel1's image, don't boot for me.

As for the system.img from rebel1, 90% of the apps force close for me.

Edited by a_appleby

Guest BillyBobJoe

newbe5

OK Newbe5, play nice and let me have a look at your boot.img, or at least your ramdisk.

I have a pared down version of the Transformer ROM I've been fighting with for a few weeks now.

Billy..

Guest ejtagle

Hi eduardo,

This is from dmesg:

Regarding ALSA, it either supports 48000hz as sampling rate, or 44100hz. The kernel, as compiled, will only support 48000. There are 2 possiblities here. Either we reconfigure the kernel for the other frecuency, or we reconfigure Android to use 48000 ... It was imossible to perform autoswitching between frecuencies, as the tegra2 chip also uses the audio clock to driver other peripherals, so, we can't change the SYSCLK frequency at runtime. Either we use the SYSCLK apropiate for 48000 sampling rate, or we use the SYSCLK for 44100. But the frequency can be changed only at boot time... In fact, i have tried both configurations, and it is not a problem to reconfigure the kernel... but.. 48000 hz seems to give higher audio fidelity :) -- If no other choice, i can reconfigure the kernel :)

Edited by ejtagle

Guest a_appleby

Regarding ALSA, it either supports 48000hz as sampling rate, or 44100hz. The kernel, as compiled, will only support 48000. There are 2 possiblities here. Either we reconfigure the kernel for the other frecuency, or we reconfigure Android to use 48000 ... It was imossible to perform autoswitching between frecuencies, as the tegra2 chip also uses the audio clock to driver other peripherals, so, we can't change the SYSCLK frequency at runtime. Either we use the SYSCLK apropiate for 48000 sampling rate, or we use the SYSCLK for 44100. But the frequency can be changed only at boot time...

How can it be switched?

edit: Nevermind, I found it.

Edited by a_appleby

Guest newbe5

OK Newbe5, play nice and let me have a look at your boot.img, or at least your ramdisk.

I have a pared down version of the Transformer ROM I've been fighting with for a few weeks now.

Billy..

OK, for anyone who wants to see where I'm at, this is a VERY ROUGH test build. Needs a lot of work (including sorting out busybox and toolbox properly). This is based on a fresh TF image and has a chunk of VegaComb applied (but not working correctly yet).

Use the STANDARD 1.10 partition tables to boot this for now, I plan to change this in cmdline later to work with the moddedstock tables, but that's not so important for now. This may well change at any time, this isn't neccesarily what I'm planning on using, just what I'm playing with right now :)

Have fun, grab it here, and in the interests of community, if you fix something, PLEASE POST IT!

newbe5

Guest ejtagle

Regarding wifi, the firmware that there is in the NVidia git should be used and should work. I think that i added to the wifi module source code package the instructions related to where the fw must be stored ... Otherwise, give me some time, and i'll find that document and post it here :)

Guest rebel1

Guess what? They're not like that here which is very strange.

Is the firmware required for it or is the one from the kernel tree supposed to work? The driver from the kernel tree fails to work for me on this rom.

The issue is that it tries to use the wrong SYSCLK frequency for 44.1kHz. 12288000 shouldn't be picked when trying to set sound sampling rate to 44.1kHz.

If you share the transformer based image, I can help with the wifi. I've built it along with everything it needs, but I get some errors related to NVMM_MANAGER_SRV after the ar6000 module is loaded.

All other images I've tried, other than rebel1's image, don't boot for me.

As for the system.img from rebel1, 90% of the apps force close for me.

Hi,

the problem is not to compile the module or hack it into the load libarys.

It looks like that the device cannot registered to the sdio.

It outputs : <1>[ 359.657022] AR6000: HIFInit registering

and nothing more, after that it should load the atheros blobs and set up the interface.

greetings. rebel1

P.S.: I personally didn´t make any hc image.