Unlocking phone malware?

Guest dyu

Dear all

I've recently left my (very simple) phone to be unlocked by a street outlet. To be honest, the stall looked a little suspicious, but it was cheap.

Im now quite worried if there's a chance they could have placed some sort of malware/spyware/keylogger or anything on my phone.

I *think* it was a cable unlock, although not entirely sure.

Is such a thing possible/done these days and should I be worried of cheap unlocks??

Many thanks,

dyu

Guest awarner

I've certainly never heard of such a thing. Technically if the place was of questionable intent then they could have cloned your device making it possible for everything to be duplicated. Probably unlikely though if it was a stall that is there on a regular basis.

Why did it look suspicious?

I've certainly never heard of such a thing. Technically if the place was of questionable intent then they could have cloned your device making it possible for everything to be duplicated. Probably unlikely though if it was a stall that is there on a regular basis.

Why did it look suspicious?

It was small and dingy in a small market...

Anyway - what is device cloning?? What is duplicated and to where??

Thanks

Guest awarner

Basically it's making a copy of your phone's IMEI so the networks think that the device is you. They could also replicate your SIM details as well so then making calls and data at your expense.

In the UK there is a or certainly used to be a 5yr sentence for even owning the software to duplicate an IMEI number as therei s not legitimate reason for doing so.