Failed Vega power supply

Guest Mr_Morphin

Guest Mr_Morphin

The power supply to my Vega failed, causing the fuse box to trip during the process. Luckily the Vega was not plugged in at the time. So i'm left with a perfectly good tablet and no way to charge it.

Cue support call to Currys. After being bounced to 4 different "support" staff in both Tech Guys and Customer support I was told that they could not send me a replacement power supply. Go to the store was the only option.

Cue confused Currys staff who have never seen\heard of the Vega. More support calls in the store lead to the final option - send the whole package back as faulty. But its not faulty, said I, its just the power supply. Sorry was the response the computer only lets us return it as faulty.

So, waving goodbye to my perfectly configured and working Vega as it get collected tomorrow and now the wait until stock arrives.

Seriously DSG. You wonder why you have trouble making profit when you have to return a perfectly working item via courier "for repair" when all you need to do is send a new power supply.

Guest bingobill

Considering what you probably spent on calls to Currys you could of just bought a new PSU off ebay and avoided the hassle, I bought a spare for mine 13 quid delivered, better quality than the original!

There are actually some PSUs for the Vega on ebay for half of that price but I thought I'd splash out ;)

Edited by bingobill

Guest goldenbolux

Hi there

I got one of the very first vega that was released

And on plugging mine in that also took out the house electric

I went through exactly what you did without any success

I bought a power supply from rs

This is a much better power supply and as we have now proved gives no screen hypersensitivity when plugged in

I was going to buy one anyway so that i could have a one at work

What i did do though was twitter @ADVENTVEGA

he got me a new power supply sent out within three days

Try him and he will sort you out im sure

dont send it back as it could be ages for a new one

Guest Advent Vega
The power supply to my Vega failed, causing the fuse box to trip during the process. Luckily the Vega was not plugged in at the time. So i'm left with a perfectly good tablet and no way to charge it.

Cue support call to Currys. After being bounced to 4 different "support" staff in both Tech Guys and Customer support I was told that they could not send me a replacement power supply. Go to the store was the only option.

Cue confused Currys staff who have never seen\heard of the Vega. More support calls in the store lead to the final option - send the whole package back as faulty. But its not faulty, said I, its just the power supply. Sorry was the response the computer only lets us return it as faulty.

So, waving goodbye to my perfectly configured and working Vega as it get collected tomorrow and now the wait until stock arrives.

Seriously DSG. You wonder why you have trouble making profit when you have to return a perfectly working item via courier "for repair" when all you need to do is send a new power supply.

Mr Morphin,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your Vega PSU and the support routes. If its not too late can you cancel your collection? Then, if you PM me your address details I will get a PSU sent out to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Advent Vega

Guest StantonPark

Whilst not having a faulty power supply I have a similar issue with Currys and their ‘customer support’.

Had the Vega delivered on Friday and noticed a hair caught under the screen (obviously during assembly). Whilst the functionality of the device is fantastic I’ve tried to live with this hair for the better part of the weekend but it is getting on my nerves (a bit like a itch which can’t be scratched).

Anyway tried calling Currys customer service this morning and, having been given the runaround (which involved a initial call which was terminated as I pressed the wrong option on my phone), I was told that the unit would have to be returned as faulty. I suggested that they could send a replacement unit to my local Currys and then I could nip in and simply swap the units over. Unfortunately, this was beyond their computer system to organise and the only option available is to return the unit as faulty.

I’m now left with the dilemma of either returning the unit and hoping that stock/computer system/human competence is sufficient for a replacement to be sent straight away or trying to live with Curly the hair (as indeed the hair is curly).

Sorry if slightly off topic yet I felt the need to vent somewhere over this customer 'mis'service.

Guest carl rose
Whilst not having a faulty power supply I have a similar issue with Currys and their ‘customer support’.

Had the Vega delivered on Friday and noticed a hair caught under the screen (obviously during assembly). Whilst the functionality of the device is fantastic I’ve tried to live with this hair for the better part of the weekend but it is getting on my nerves (a bit like a itch which can’t be scratched).

Anyway tried calling Currys customer service this morning and, having been given the runaround (which involved a initial call which was terminated as I pressed the wrong option on my phone), I was told that the unit would have to be returned as faulty. I suggested that they could send a replacement unit to my local Currys and then I could nip in and simply swap the units over. Unfortunately, this was beyond their computer system to organise and the only option available is to return the unit as faulty.

I’m now left with the dilemma of either returning the unit and hoping that stock/computer system/human competence is sufficient for a replacement to be sent straight away or trying to live with Curly the hair (as indeed the hair is curly).

Sorry if slightly off topic yet I felt the need to vent somewhere over this customer 'mis'service.

Get out of my hair! Or Get out of there hair! ;) If you pardon the pun ;) Have you considered dismantling it? I haven't a clue what would entail but it is always an option. Is it trapped between the glass and the screen or between the digitalizer? If it's the second that it's a matter of deal with it and keep it or send it back don't think you can do much more than that yourself. If it's after the digitalizer then it's just a matter of taking the screen off.

Edited by carl rose

Guest Lennyuk

Should have installed CWM done a nandroid, saved it, put it on your new sd card and did a restore on that new vega.

Then you have you exact set up on your new vega.

Guest carl rose
Should have installed CWM done a nandroid, saved it, put it on your new sd card and did a restore on that new vega.

Then you have you exact set up on your new vega.

I just took the plunge and installed the latest cwm. Done a nandroid and rebooted. Was half expecting to get a bsod but no, everything went as smooth as a baby's bottom. I can't understand how people are having these bsod because of cwm? Sorry to be a little off topic. Battery will be finished soon and I won't be able to charge it as my psu has gone tits up. ;)

Guest tjz1100
Mr Morphin,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your Vega PSU and the support routes. If its not too late can you cancel your collection? Then, if you PM me your address details I will get a PSU sent out to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Advent Vega

You are destined for Hero status, I hope you realise that!

;)

PS

What are the specs for the PSU? (Need a spare after reading this thread.)

PPS

Found this (also put this on other thread)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advent-Vega-Android-...=item1c18695cf9

And seems to be touted as a real replacement. £13.

Edited by tjz1100

Guest Mr_Morphin
Mr Morphin,

Kind regards,

Advent Vega

Many thanks for your offer, unfortunately the courier was already on his way. Now without my Vega waiting for new stock :-(

Guest carl rose
The following power supply works perfectly with the vega. I got one for when I am at work and need to charge. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...t%3EVOLTAGE.htm

Glad you found my tip useful. I just got the replacement one from Advent Vega and I can confirm that it is different than the one that came with the vega originally. This one is a switching power supply and eliminates all hyper sensitivity from the screen while charging. Just brilliant, now I got the replacement for use in the house and the one I bought from maplin like yours for work. Perfect. Many thanks Advent Vega, the faulty one is on it's way to you. ;)

Edited by carl rose

Guest 2old2mould

Just want to add my two pence worth. I've also bought the Masterplug Adaptor and its brilliant. Works really well and all the stutter has now gone. The only draw back is the pin is a little loose in the Vega and has popped out occasionally when shuffling around. Still, it's a real bargain at a tenner in Argos and with all the extra pins you won't be stuck if you need to charge owt else.

Top marks.

2o2m

• 2 months later...
Guest JamJarST

Got my Vega this week and my power supply also seems to be dodgy :D It stops charging and I have to wiggle the cable near the plug to get it to work. Will Dixons be any good if I phone them up or should I just bite the bullet and buy the Argos one?

Guest Qwertymon

they will code5 exchange in the store giving you the new charger and sending thew new vega away as faulty with the faulty psu, at least thats the prcedure I would take on the tech desk as its a code5 product