[GUIDE] How to get more FREE SPACE for your apps

Guest ztedd

I did this and it worked, but every time I reboot the change is gone and my cache comes back to 4.5 MB (I use 128 MB system, 4.5 MB cache, 324 MB data partitioning). Shouldn't this cache-to-ram be permanent? I use FLB 9b, Blade LCD, 5 MP.

You need to add it to a script that runs at boot, like /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh or anything under /system/etc/init.d/

Or flash cache2tmpfs_blade_froyo_signed.zip using clockwork, from this post http://android.modaco.com/content-page/330...on-mod/page/60/

Edited by wbaw

AWESOME Guide!!!!!

can this be done on other android devices as well, or is it unique to ZTE Blade?

I'm particularly wondering about nexus one, as i have a lot of system cache that is unused, but running out of space for apps.

if there is a guide elsewhere that i should be aware of please link, i searched Modaco AND google, and found nothing about re-sizing these partitions.

THANKS. :huh:

It is unique to the ZTE Blade, we modified a leaked operator update fix which included the partitioning code. It wont work on non-ZTE phones & it may break other models of ZTE phone.

Edited by wbaw

You need to add it to a script that runs at boot, like /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh or anything under /system/etc/init.d/

Thanks for help, I added the script to init.qcom.post_boot.sh and now it works just great! It worked only after I handwrote it, it did not want to work with the classic Copy-Paste...

• 1 month later...
Guest kerryokeefe

Having had a blade now for some months, installed JJ9 (really scared but once started found it really easy), dont have loads of apps, dony play any games but internal memory down to 84 mb. This guide looked really interesting but really lost as what I can do. Looked at guide and really cant fathom out where to start (my fault). Think I peaked when I put my new ROM on. Are there any easier ways of increasing internal phone memory? Even deleted a few Apps but made very little difference. Additionally, have not addede any new apps for weeks but internal memory continuing to fall. Use App2sd and have apps on SD card.

Guest frenchdroid

Great guide even if I don't understand half of it (still not using ADB yet, or other rocket-science stuff like that).

Couple of questions though, and to offer my experience with Link2SD and market update problems (which might help someone).

When using Titanium Backup to batch move apps to the SD card, in CM7, I can see the phone memory has freed up - is it using the move function integrated in CM7 itself. If so, what is this method and does it support move to ext partition ??

Depending on answer to above, can Titanium be used to batch move certain apps to an ext partition ?

Is there any other way, other than Titanium, to batch move apps, using the checklist method, to SD FAT or ext, and what are the pros and cons of this ?

As I have loads of phone memory, but only a class 2 SD card, is it better (from a speed point of view) to have all the apps I can on the phone memory ?

Just for completeness, why not give a mention to Link2SD and s2e (Simple2ext) ??

Also, I obviously missed it, but can someone spell out exactly what the benefits are of moving apps to ext rather than just FAT32 ??

Personally, I have the WBAW partition mod on CM7, giving me over 300 mb of internal storage - great (and thanks to WBAW).

I was using Link2SD (because I couldn't find s2e in the market at the time and also decided that Link2SD was "good" after reading a long article that I didn't understand). However, as it doesn't have a batch link function (yet), using Link2SD has become a bit of a pain. Last night, I had a market update crash nightmare. In Link2SD, it seems you have to use the "market fix" function in its menu quite a lot, otherwise, things don't update right. I also have problems getting lots of apps to update in market anyway (stuck on "downloading" forever, failed downloads after the progress bar is filled, etc).

Anyway, market was updating about 7 or 8 items, which it got stuck on. Eventually, because I had tried to use the market fix thing in Link2SD while it was still downloading, I had about 20 or 30 items downloading because it had somehow multiplied various instances of the original required update.

To cut a long and boring story short, I had now run out of internal phone memory, which was odd considering that I had about 200 mb free before I started updating. I didn't really know what to do at first, so did the wrong thing and started trying to move some apps to the SD card, uninstalling apps, etc.

What I actually had to do was to wipe the cache (did it in Clockwork) to get back all my spare phone memory. I also found out I should have wiped the market cache and deleted data in Download Manager, both in Manage -- Applications. This stopped the queue of multiple apps trying to update over and over.

Now, I have found out that the easiest way for me to move apps in large batches, being able to pick and choose which to move (instead of doing each one at a time in Manage -- Applications) is to use Titanium Backup.

And apparently, clearing market cache and deleting data in download manager helps resolve problems with updating apps.

Edited by frenchdroid

Guest kerryokeefe

Frenchdroid,

Interested in how you freed up your internal memory. It didnt seem that complicated. Could you spell out exactly how you wiped cache,market cache etc

As previously stated, loading JJ9 on my phone was a real acheivement but dont want to go into clockwork if I dont have to!! Thanks

Guest frenchdroid
Frenchdroid,

Interested in how you freed up your internal memory. It didnt seem that complicated. Could you spell out exactly how you wiped cache,market cache etc

As previously stated, loading JJ9 on my phone was a real acheivement but dont want to go into clockwork if I dont have to!! Thanks

To initially get to over 300 mb on internal memory I simply followed the instructions in this thread:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ol-alpha3-gen1/

It is pretty easy - I am using CM7, gen 1 - NOTE that you should NOT use this if you have a gen 2 blade. It says it in the thread but I thought I'd say it again.

If you were actually asking how I freed up the internal memory when market update went mad, I firstly went in to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications, then located the Market app, clicked it, hit the clear cache button, then exit, find the Download Manager app, click it, hit the delete data button. I presume this stopped the system thinking it was still in the process of downloading updates to the apps.

At this point I still had only about 4 mb of internal memory, and I knew I had about 200 mb "missing". So I went in to Clockwork, wiped the cache, and restarted? Voila - my internal memory is now back to over 200 mb.

To be honest, I think there are probably cache clean apps that do the same thing but I couldn't be arsed to read up on which is a decent one so I thought I'd use Clockwork.

And you really do need to get to start using Clockwork if you haven't already. Especially if you are ever going to change roms. It is extremely easy and if you have already got JJ9 on your phone, you are bright enough to work out Clockwork :)

To figure it out, read the relevant bits from the guide by Steven Harper:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...zte-blade-gen1/

Hope that helps

Guest DannyDanny

I want to increase the A2SD partition space as it is currently set to 256mb

But I am worried if I partition it from clockwork, it will partition the SD card from the beginning and all the data will be wiped

(like formatting a HDD)

Am I thinking correct? or I can change the size anytime?

Guest sm4tik

Hi,

I've searched the forum for a way to repartition my gen2 blade and this guide was the closest match, but.. there's no mention about gen2. From what I've understood the TPT method isn't working on gen2, or atleast there's a high risk of bricking it. Is it still impossible to change partition sizes with a factory gen2 device, or have I just missed something obvious?

Thanks in advance!

Guest k0zmic

Great guide. I've attached the script if anyone can't be bothered to type it and add it themselves.

Just remove .txt from the extension.

For CM7 users just put it into /etc/init.d if you're wondering.

80redirectcache.sh.txt

Edited by k0zmic

Guest dwl99

I'm running Swedish Spring on a gen2 blade with a 512MB EXT darktremor A2SD partition on the SD card. It works very well but clockworkmod must have put the EXT partition in front of the FAT32 one cos Windows can no longer see the FAT32 one. This makes it a pain to copy files & folders to & fro. If I use gparted to create an EXT2 partition after the FAT32 one will A2SD still be able to use it?

Ta

EDIT - please ignore this post, it was a driver problem stopping my PC seeing the SD card :)

Edited by dwl99

• 2 weeks later...
Guest womble_sanfran
Where can I download Total Phone Transfer?

Its not an app its a method, try doing a search and reading some of the stickied posts.

Guest Chris Banks
A2SD vs. App2SD/MOVE2SD:

2. partition your SD card using clockworkmod recovery (on boot press Volume Down + Power Button, then in clockworkmod menu choose partition sd card - choose ext2 or ext3 (I recommend ext2, here is some discussion on ext2 vs. ext3) - then choose size of ext2: I recommend between 512 MB and 1024 MB - choose size of swap: 0MB, as swap isn't needed)

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could direct me toward discussions on ext2 vs. ext3 as the link doesn't seem to be working for me and I interested in reading about the difference.

I was also wondering why 512 MB and 1024 MB was suggested. Is this just because it would be hard to fill such size?

Would there be any noticeable difference if one was to choose a much larger size just for overkill?

Finally, once a SD card is partitioned, can new ROMS still be flashed without have to change anything?

Sorry if i sound naive about this, just trying to clear some things up in my mind, Thanks.

Guest Bender

Sorry done a search and can't find much - getting intermittent duplicate icons for things moved over to SD card on Modaco R12 ROM - rebooting sometimes clears the duplicates - anyone know of a permanent fix? Thanks in advance

Guest Anil k Solanki

UPDATED BELOW-------------------

Hi,

I have just tried option A. A2SD and it doesn't seemed to have worked. I am using Swedish Spring RLS5 with ROM Manager Premium v4.2.0.2 and Clockwork recovery 3.0.1.4 because the latest version 3.0.2.7 doesn't boot into recovery. I have a 16GB Class 10 SD card installed.

I copied the contents of my SD card, rebooted into to recovery, went to "advanced", then "Partition SD Card", then I chose 1024M, but there was no option for ext2 or ext3 preceding choosing the size.

Is this normal, or have I done something wrong? I looked inside system/sd using Astro, but all that was in there was a folder called lost+found which is empty. I tried copying an app from the phone to the SD card and back again, which copied fine but didn't do anything different to before A2SD.

Any ideas as to what my issue is?

Regards, Anil.

UPDATE-------------------

I just completed a Clockwork backup (Nandroid) and the last two lines read;

Backing up sd-ext...

Generating md5 sum...

So it seems I did complete A2SD correctly.

But correct me if I am wrong, I thought the point of A2SD was to be able to move all apps to the SD card, and for those apps to be still mounted when the phone is connected via USB and mass storage turned on? But I tried copying an app from the phone to the SD card and back again, which copied fine but didn't do anything different to before A2SD.

A bit confused, sorry.

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest frenchdroid
UPDATED BELOW-------------------

Hi,

I have just tried option A. A2SD and it doesn't seemed to have worked. I am using Swedish Spring RLS5 with ROM Manager Premium v4.2.0.2 and Clockwork recovery 3.0.1.4 because the latest version 3.0.2.7 doesn't boot into recovery. I have a 16GB Class 10 SD card installed.

I copied the contents of my SD card, rebooted into to recovery, went to "advanced", then "Partition SD Card", then I chose 1024M, but there was no option for ext2 or ext3 preceding choosing the size.

Is this normal, or have I done something wrong? I looked inside system/sd using Astro, but all that was in there was a folder called lost+found which is empty. I tried copying an app from the phone to the SD card and back again, which copied fine but didn't do anything different to before A2SD.

Any ideas as to what my issue is?

Regards, Anil.

UPDATE-------------------

I just completed a Clockwork backup (Nandroid) and the last two lines read;

Backing up sd-ext...

Generating md5 sum...

So it seems I did complete A2SD correctly.

But correct me if I am wrong, I thought the point of A2SD was to be able to move all apps to the SD card, and for those apps to be still mounted when the phone is connected via USB and mass storage turned on? But I tried copying an app from the phone to the SD card and back again, which copied fine but didn't do anything different to before A2SD.

A bit confused, sorry.

Anil.

I don't know which other methods of using the SD card work like this, but I know that Link2SD moves the apps from phone to ext partition of SD but still allows you to use the apps when USB is connected. You'll find a good article (linked on the Blade section of the Modaco forum - can't remember where it is, you might find it by Googling). Anyway, the Link2SD dev has a thread over at XDA.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Thanks frenchdroid, Link2sd has told me the symbolic link to my extra partition hasn't been made. So that is where my problem lies.

Whilst trying to get this to work I have realised it would probably be a bad idea because I use nandroid backups as a safety net I would lose some of this by moving most of the apps to the SD card.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi,

Can anyone else using Swedish Spring RLS5 please confirm it s working with this ROM?

Many thanks, Anil.

Guest lka_modaco

@Anil k Solanki - If this could help :

The similar problem with JJF9 ... 712MB ext2 created (with gparted), Astro file manager saw it, but removing apps to ext2 failed (actually was removed to fat32). So I read the content in the file apps2sd.hlp (can find it in /system/bin). There is option reinstall for a2sd, which worked OK for me - just executed a2sd reinstall as root in the directory (from terminal) and the job was done.Then I copied all apps from the phone to the SD card and back again - now ext2 is ok - using almoust 300MB out of 712MB ... AND apps on ext2 are active and visible when charging ...

Edited by lka_modaco

Guest alexbro

I've downloaded partition_1_136_319.zip and flash it. And the phone restart to ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.8, but i select "install zip form sdcard" to upgrade CWM to v3.0.1.4 or other version, it always seems failed. The phone restart and ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.8 appears again.

then what's happened?

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi lka_modaco,

Thanks for your reply, I will try your suggestion and hopefully it will solve my issue.

Again thanks.

Anil