advent vega

Guest mully@10

Guest mully@10

Hi all,

just wondered if any of you guys could help me , l've just got my first tablet today and was wondering if anybody has an idiots guide on how to get market on the tablet, and also how to make the best of it, l'm not a techie guy , just your bog standard builder , who dos'nt know the difference between a laptop and a netbook , hope someone out their can help,

many thanks Nick

Guest mully@10
Hi all,

just wondered if any of you guys could help me , l've just got my first tablet today and was wondering if anybody has an idiots guide on how to get market on the tablet, and also how to make the best of it, l'm not a techie guy , just your bog standard builder , who dos'nt know the difference between a laptop and a netbook , hope someone out their can help,

many thanks Nick

so has nobody got a step by step guide on how to get on market ? and how too change the rom ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jacquisue
Hi all,

many thanks Nick

Wish I could help! I bought the newest version of Advent Vega a couple of weeks ago and have to say its been a complete waste of money for me. I knew it didnt have Flash or the Android market but according to the Advent website that was easily remedied with Paul's custom rom. Sorry, but it seems unless you're a total technical wizard and can fathom out how to add it you're stuck with a very basic tablet. Re-reading the Idiot's Guide still confuses me and I'd hate to start messing around and end up with a brick.

I understand Paul has worked extremely hard for this site and he should be congratulated for this, I'm sure he's made a lot of people very happy, but as a beginner with Android, I'm very disappointed.

I guess I'll have to await Advent putting out the certified Flash player - but when will that be? The website says beginning of the year. And will this update be just as complicated to follow? If so, I figure I'll be sticking the Vega on eBay and chalking it down to experience!

Anyone else dislike the Vega? Just me then?

Guest Jisonga

As another Vega, infact android in general, begginer i know where you are coming from but please trust me its dead easy to get both market and flash working on the vega and it reall transforms this tablet.

Now it may seem like climbing a brick wall at first but please visit the Vega section of the forum and check out Pauls latest Rom , version R8, and then read and re read his first post in this topic and by following each instruction you will find yourself flashing away without a second thought.

Honest it really is that easy and it works first time and with his latest version Paul has done the hard work for us and both his Rom and the Vega do most of the behind the scenes work.

Its really worth taking the time to have ago as it transforms the Vega no end.

Plus there are some really helpful and talented members in the Vega section that have been only to happy to help.

Jason.

Guest jacquisue

I see there's the new certified Flash player available on the website. Is this for folk who've installed Paul's rom only? Am I correct in thinking I should wait for 15th Feb update? My Vega is as it came with 1.8 and no added bits and bobs.

Thanks

Edited by jacquisue

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tim Howard
Wish I could help! I bought the newest version of Advent Vega a couple of weeks ago and have to say its been a complete waste of money for me. I knew it didnt have Flash or the Android market but according to the Advent website that was easily remedied with Paul's custom rom. Sorry, but it seems unless you're a total technical wizard and can fathom out how to add it you're stuck with a very basic tablet. Re-reading the Idiot's Guide still confuses me and I'd hate to start messing around and end up with a brick.

I understand Paul has worked extremely hard for this site and he should be congratulated for this, I'm sure he's made a lot of people very happy, but as a beginner with Android, I'm very disappointed.

I guess I'll have to await Advent putting out the certified Flash player - but when will that be? The website says beginning of the year. And will this update be just as complicated to follow? If so, I figure I'll be sticking the Vega on eBay and chalking it down to experience!

Anyone else dislike the Vega? Just me then?

Hi Folks,

Before I start I should say that I am from a technical background and do have some experience of flashing ROM's in devices such as my PSP and previous Windows Smartphones, however as far as Android goes I am an absolute newbie, my Vega is only about 20 hours old!

Thanks to the guides (and perhaps coming from an IT background), I've so far managed to flash my Vega with the latest custom ROM from Paul (I did subsequently join MoDaCo as a ad-free member, bake a custom ROM to re-enable the large notification bar (sorry but I like it, and as they screen isn't as the touch input isn't so accurate around the edges on the Vega I find it useful to have slightly larger icons) and install it fine too).

I've also reinstalled Flash (couldn't find the ADK in the folder that was suggested \system\etc... so downloaded the Vega optimised install file and used Dropbox to dump it on the device and then install it). Runs iPlayer a treat and some fairly demanding Flash on webistes.

I've managed to get my Huwaei 160E 3G Dongle talking with the device and have successfully sent email and surfed over as Orange 3G network. It's a bit of a fiddle to enable and disable 3G, and a reboot is required to put the USB port into 'host' mode in order to drive a USB device such as a memory stick or 3G dongle but considering the Vega doesn't ship with this functionality (and thanks to the guides on MoDaCo) it's a pretty fine outcome! You do have to reboot it again after putting the USB back into 'slave' mode so you can connect to your PC to push files should you want to in the future. If you don't plan to do this then it can be left in 'host' mode.

Have installed LauncherPro (will probably upgrade to plus) and plan to design my desktop with it tonight, and fill my 32Gb MicroSD card with lots of content to test.

I only have one disappointment so far and that is that no video players seem to support AC3 encoded audio properly. The only one that I found that came close was RockPlayer and that was very jerky with a 720p MKV file and AC3 soundtrack. The sound stopped altogether after a few minutes! It did play a DivX with AC3 soundtrack much better but again was flaky in that I launched the same file later and got no sound at all! Perhaps a Tegra optimised video player (that supports AC3) will be launched at some point, for me it would make the Vega absolutely perfect!!

Anyway back to the ROMs. I only encountered one issue with the upgrade. When my Vega is connected to my notepad it wasn't detected properly and I couldn't install the ADB (Android Developer Bridge), this turned out to be that my notepad was running a 64-bit version of Windows 7, it appears that several people have had issues with this, and following the instructions on a 32-bit Windows 7 client worked absolutely fine. I would suggest that as most machines over about 2 years old and pretty much all netbooks still have 32-bit architecture and therefore the majority of people should be fine. The worst case scenario is that nothing happens.....I tried to run the .bat file without installing the ADB and the result is that the device is just not recognised and the batch file hangs.

Once I'd sorted this, and run the .bat file on my 32-bit desktop I had to wait for literally only a few minutes and then the Vega rebooted, and presto I had access to Market etc. I am not sure if Flash is not slipstreamed into the latest ROM but mine certainly didn't have it installed. Don't make the same mistake that I did and go straight to the Market and download it, as the version there is not optimised for the Nvidia chipset in the Vega, there is a Vega optimised version available (which I have subsequently installed fine as described above).

The guides are actually pretty good, and if you ran into specific problems you could always post for specific help. It's really a quick and simple process and I would think it takes no more than 30 minutes to download the ROM, install the ADB and flash the Vega, even for a beginner like me. As always the more information you can give in a question, the more chance you have of a detailed answer, but I think that anyone who can use a tablet can flash the Vega such is the automation of the process that Paul has provided

Hope you get this sorted, I for one would try to help if you have a specific question about the instructions!

Guest tigmanandy
Hi Folks,

Before I start I should say that I am from a technical background and do have some experience of flashing ROM's in devices such as my PSP and previous Windows Smartphones, however as far as Android goes I am an absolute newbie, my Vega is only about 20 hours old!

Thanks to the guides (and perhaps coming from an IT background), I've so far managed to flash my Vega with the latest custom ROM from Paul (I did subsequently join MoDaCo as a ad-free member, bake a custom ROM to re-enable the large notification bar (sorry but I like it, and as they screen isn't as the touch input isn't so accurate around the edges on the Vega I find it useful to have slightly larger icons) and install it fine too).

I've also reinstalled Flash (couldn't find the ADK in the folder that was suggested \system\etc... so downloaded the Vega optimised install file and used Dropbox to dump it on the device and then install it). Runs iPlayer a treat and some fairly demanding Flash on webistes.

I've managed to get my Huwaei 160E 3G Dongle talking with the device and have successfully sent email and surfed over as Orange 3G network. It's a bit of a fiddle to enable and disable 3G, and a reboot is required to put the USB port into 'host' mode in order to drive a USB device such as a memory stick or 3G dongle but considering the Vega doesn't ship with this functionality (and thanks to the guides on MoDaCo) it's a pretty fine outcome! You do have to reboot it again after putting the USB back into 'slave' mode so you can connect to your PC to push files should you want to in the future. If you don't plan to do this then it can be left in 'host' mode.

Have installed LauncherPro (will probably upgrade to plus) and plan to design my desktop with it tonight, and fill my 32Gb MicroSD card with lots of content to test.

I only have one disappointment so far and that is that no video players seem to support AC3 encoded audio properly. The only one that I found that came close was RockPlayer and that was very jerky with a 720p MKV file and AC3 soundtrack. The sound stopped altogether after a few minutes! It did play a DivX with AC3 soundtrack much better but again was flaky in that I launched the same file later and got no sound at all! Perhaps a Tegra optimised video player (that supports AC3) will be launched at some point, for me it would make the Vega absolutely perfect!!

Anyway back to the ROMs. I only encountered one issue with the upgrade. When my Vega is connected to my notepad it wasn't detected properly and I couldn't install the ADB (Android Developer Bridge), this turned out to be that my notepad was running a 64-bit version of Windows 7, it appears that several people have had issues with this, and following the instructions on a 32-bit Windows 7 client worked absolutely fine. I would suggest that as most machines over about 2 years old and pretty much all netbooks still have 32-bit architecture and therefore the majority of people should be fine. The worst case scenario is that nothing happens.....I tried to run the .bat file without installing the ADB and the result is that the device is just not recognised and the batch file hangs.

Once I'd sorted this, and run the .bat file on my 32-bit desktop I had to wait for literally only a few minutes and then the Vega rebooted, and presto I had access to Market etc. I am not sure if Flash is not slipstreamed into the latest ROM but mine certainly didn't have it installed. Don't make the same mistake that I did and go straight to the Market and download it, as the version there is not optimised for the Nvidia chipset in the Vega, there is a Vega optimised version available (which I have subsequently installed fine as described above).

The guides are actually pretty good, and if you ran into specific problems you could always post for specific help. It's really a quick and simple process and I would think it takes no more than 30 minutes to download the ROM, install the ADB and flash the Vega, even for a beginner like me. As always the more information you can give in a question, the more chance you have of a detailed answer, but I think that anyone who can use a tablet can flash the Vega such is the automation of the process that Paul has provided

Hope you get this sorted, I for one would try to help if you have a specific question about the instructions!