Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with modifications

Guest twrock

Guest twrock
twrock,

While you rebuild CM6 ROM, can you keep /system size ~80mb, and add app other apps into /data package. In the way, for whom has U8220 stock rom 1.5 device, do not need to flash UK 2.1 stock ROM.

Because some of us U8220 1.5 version has error due to provider locked.

Thsi is the messge when flashing UK 2.1 ROM /dload from sd card.

**** SD download log ****

Failure: OEMSBL version unmatched.

Failure: operation did not succeed.

dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

Thanks

James :rolleyes:

James, sorry, I wasn't very clear with that. I am not planning rebuild this rom or the TWeak rom. I was rebuilding my individual phone's rom by reflashing the TWeak version of this rom onto my phone again. So I wasn't intending to rebuild the rom and release another version. I'm quite happy with it as is.

I did make a simple update zip of the 0.40 boot.img from Tom's rom, and I did flash that last night after making a backup. Of course it is slower than an OC kernel, but I'm going to use it for a while to see how much battery life I can gain and if I can live with the slowness.

Why don't you try to rebuild the rom yourself? It is really not that hard. And since I don't have your phone, I have no way of testing any work I do.

Because I am curious, can you flash the "basic" rom zip without DT Apps2SD and gapps? Does even the base rom fit, or is even that too big?

I know there are more apps that can be moved out of /system into /data, including files in the Gapps zip (i.e. I think Gmail.apk can be moved, for a savings of 2.1mb). And in this rom, you can also remove the boot animation (it is already gone in the TWeak rom) and some of the sound files to reduce the size even more. The simplest test of your work will be to see if the Market works after flashing. If it works, you probably have made it small enough. If it doesn't work, then it's probably still too big. I believe that is because "Vending.apk" is in Gapps and "V" is late in the alphabet. But that's just a guess; I am not a developer. :P

Also, if you download the "tiny" version of Gapps, you can see what others think it the bare minimum, and that might help you know if you can move even more out of that.

Since there are three zip files involved in installing the complete rom, it is really hard for me to calculate the final installed size of the /system directory. I think you might have to use trial and error. But you do know that this rom fits in the /system partition of the "old" UK official rom. If you know the size difference between that rom and the one your have, then you know how much more you need to move out to make it fit.

To try to be helpful, here are my "guesses" for what you can try to move/delete:

bootanimation and sound files

Gmail

Gallery3D (I have replaced this with QuickPics on my own phone)

LiveWallpapersPicker

Music

Protips

Development

DSPmanager

Soundrecorder

Touchpal

ADWLauncher (replace it with something smaller in /system, because if it gets deleted later, I don't know how you are going to use your phone at all)

Guest James Kei

Great, this is very good start, got a safe list to remove.

So I can unzip the Cm6.zip in pc, remove them, then zip it back.

Then flash it with CWM recovery, will give a try.

thanks

James

Guest twrock
Great, this is very good start, got a safe list to remove.

So I can unzip the Cm6.zip in pc, remove them, then zip it back.

Then flash it with CWM recovery, will give a try.

thanks

James

Re: "safe list", I can't guarantee that those are safe to remove. But if I was working on it, those are some I would try first.

I would suggest that you start with this rom because it already has the "fixes" put into it (vs. Tom's rom). Definitely remove /system/media/bootanimation.zip and any of the /system/media/audio/ files you are sure you don't ever want (alarms, ringtones, notifications). Then go after the /system/app files. I suggest you keep good records of every file you remove and its size. This will help you know if you are getting close. Research the /system partition size difference between the 2010 UK 2.1 update and the 1.5 rom you are using (use the search function in this forum; I know this has been discussed). Then, yes, re-zip and install via Recovery.

Disclaimer: I have never attempted to do this myself. I guarantee nothing, including no guarantees you won't brick your phone. Good luck. :P

Guest James Kei
Re: "safe list", I can't guarantee that those are safe to remove. But if I was working on it, those are some I would try first.

I would suggest that you start with this rom because it already has the "fixes" put into it (vs. Tom's rom). Definitely remove /system/media/bootanimation.zip and any of the /system/media/audio/ files you are sure you don't ever want (alarms, ringtones, notifications). Then go after the /system/app files. I suggest you keep good records of every file you remove and its size. This will help you know if you are getting close. Research the /system partition size difference between the 2010 UK 2.1 update and the 1.5 rom you are using (use the search function in this forum; I know this has been discussed). Then, yes, re-zip and install via Recovery.

Disclaimer: I have never attempted to do this myself. I guarantee nothing, including no guarantees you won't brick your phone. Good luck. :P

The 1st CM6.zip file works perfectly. /system 93% ~4mb free.

Surprisingly, by reduce the system apps, the phone run faster, ~50mb free RAM.

After install the small package of google apps.zip, its all done. Mostly googles apps moved to /data/app, which late on can link2sd.

The 1.5 ROM => stright UP 2.2 custom ROM completed.

thanks

cheers

James

Edited by James Kei

Guest twrock
The 1st CM6.zip file works perfectly. /system 93% ~4mb free.

Surprisingly, by reduce the system apps, the phone run faster, ~50mb free RAM.

After install the small package of google apps.zip, its all done. Mostly googles apps moved to /data/app, which late on can link2sd.

The 1.5 ROM => stright UP 2.2 custom ROM completed.

thanks

cheers

James

Great! I'm glad it worked for you.

Guest twrock
Twrock is there a way to make the phone more battery efficient? :P My battery tends to die kinda quickly with this rom :/

One more follow up on this issue.

I ran my phone on the original TomG boot.img without SetCPU installed today. Definitely no improvement in battery life. I'm guessing the reason is that I did not have my "screen off" profile active in SetCPU. When using the Starkos 691 kernel I set a profile for screen off to reduce the frequency down to 320/122. But in any case, I'm back to using the 691 kernel and controlling the speed through SetCPU. As always, YMMV.

• 1 month later...
Guest twrock
hi your rom is the only one i cane read contact and sms arabic but wifi is not worcking need hilpe

Wifi works fine in this rom. I have no idea why you are having trouble with it.

Guest axaaxa
Wifi works fine in this rom. I have no idea why you are having trouble with it.

so isnt there any softwer to slove it . i thinke the problem is bicuse i wasent able to do first stape

( You must have updated to the official UK 2.1 rom from back in 2010 ) it was give me updit filde

and ( CW Recovery 2.5.0.7 ) i cand find it so i use the green one ( recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.4-pulse ) may be bicuse of thate

hilpe me plese

Edited by axaaxa

Guest twrock
so isnt there any softwer to slove it . i thinke the problem is bicuse i wasent able to do first stape

( You must have updated to the official UK 2.1 rom from back in 2010 ) it was give me updit filde

and ( CW Recovery 2.5.0.7 ) i cand find it so i use the green one ( recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.4-pulse ) may be bicuse of thate

hilpe me plese

Try the link in the first post again for Clockwork Recovery 2.5.0.7.

The reason you need to update to the official UK 2.1 rom from 2010 is because of the partition sizes. You can use any official rom with a /system partition size of 100mb or larger. But if you can't get any of the official 2.1 roms installed, there is nothing more anyone can realistically do for you. That is the basic first step.

I can not help you with your Arabic problems. I don't know anything about that.

(Also, I will not respond to private messages on this topic; please post in the forums so that maybe someone else who has the ability can help you.)

Guest axaaxa

ok i have evry thinke but what is the furst step

in the gude it say ( If your phone "Fails to Update" Please refer to the FAQ [here] ) but ((here )) nothing hapen and these is my all problem in many time in the first giving me update faild and some time 2/2 in scond stape of update give me failed

whene to( use official UK 2.1 rom from 2010 ) bifore what and after what bicuse evre tim give me update failed

Edited by axaaxa

Guest welly123

Dear Friends

I have a problem with this rom in supporting arabic language and in adding arabic keyboard, also phone reboot itself during synchronization with PC and app installation, can anyone help pls

Edited by welly123

Guest axaaxa

mr. twrock : your rom is the only one inclode arabic please tell us how to add arabic to read name and sms how to add thes to ather rom or fix my pproblem withe your rom?

Edited by axaaxa

Guest twrock
mr. twrock : your rom is the only one inclode arabic please tell us how to add arabic to read name and sms how to add thes to ather rom or fix my pproblem withe your rom?

I already told you multiple times that I don't know anything about your problems with Arabic. I have no experience and no information to offer you. It does no good to keep asking me. Someone else might be able to help you, but not me.

Guest twrock
Guys how to install the 2010 UK Update?! It has .app extension. How can I install that Rom? Thanks

Have a look at the Ultimate Pulse Users Guide (linked in my signature).

However, please note. Things may be different for you because you have a U8230. Please do not assume everything I said about installing this rom is true for you. You have different hardware, and you need to be aware of what that means. Others with U8230 phones have installed this rom, but I don't know about what "base" rom (official update) they started with. Please don't do anything until you know the consequences of your actions.

(And, I don't respond to PM's; please just post in the forum where you will stand a better chance of getting a reply from someone with the answer you need. Since your phone is different from mine, you really need to hear from someone else.)

Guest DinkaDanka
Have a look at the Ultimate Pulse Users Guide (linked in my signature).

However, please note. Things may be different for you because you have a U8230. Please do not assume everything I said about installing this rom is true for you. You have different hardware, and you need to be aware of what that means. Others with U8230 phones have installed this rom, but I don't know about what "base" rom (official update) they started with. Please don't do anything until you know the consequences of your actions.

(And, I don't respond to PM's; please just post in the forum where you will stand a better chance of getting a reply from someone with the answer you need. Since your phone is different from mine, you really need to hear from someone else.)

thhank you for your answer. I finally installed this ROM. I upgraded from 2.1 HU rom. Installed the rom and A2sd, rebooted, then recovery again and installed the gapps. Everything works now, very nice ROM.

Thank you!

Guest pedrojaime

I wanted to congratulate everyone who has worked hard on this rom (it shows), and say what many have said running this rom - my pulse has never worked better. I am very impressed with the stability and smoothness of this rom, better performance than CM7 until now (flashed yesterday). I was even able to restore 15 apps with Titanium backup, reboot and there was no hang in the boot process. Sadly this is not possible with CM7, where I need to wipe cache partition and reboot various times after each application install to get the OS to come up. Camera works great, just a shame about the front-facing camera bug but not a major issue. I was not able to record video with Vignette, not sure if this works with a different app..? The only other issue I have noticed coming from CM7 is that Skype only plays the call through the loudspeaker..

I would say the only thing I miss from CM7 is the useful battery stats graph, the gingerbread theme can be installed as mentioned here for a black statusbar.

Finally, does anyone know how to have mixed language input using Touchpal? I tried installing Spanish.apk but this causes problems and touchpal does not appear at all after that with Market so removed it and sticking to English only for the time being unless anyone has worked this one out?

By far, apart from the minimalist FLB mod 1.7, this is the best rom I've tried, really happy with it. Its certainly the most functional on the pulse, nice one! :)

Peter

Guest twrock

After attempting to use all sorts of other roms and combinations and variations and modifications, I have come back to this rom. I was trying to find that elusive "long battery life" that others seem to be getting with the UK 2011 or the RBM2 roms, but it never happened for me. Instead, I had less functionality and less stability (fc's were popping up periodically with every 2.1 rom) with the same battery life when I was trying to use 2.1 roms. So for now, I'm just going to run this rom at 528mhz max speed and leave it go at that. Maybe after I get through my extremely busy period at work I can again look at the options. Enjoy.

Guest EgyptoBoy
After attempting to use all sorts of other roms and combinations and variations and modifications, I have come back to this rom. I was trying to find that elusive "long battery life" that others seem to be getting with the UK 2011 or the RBM2 roms, but it never happened for me. Instead, I had less functionality and less stability (fc's were popping up periodically with every 2.1 rom) with the same battery life when I was trying to use 2.1 roms. So for now, I'm just going to run this rom at 528mhz max speed and leave it go at that. Maybe after I get through my extremely busy period at work I can again look at the options. Enjoy.

Hi pro i have a question for you :

i have u8230 - 256m and im between two Roms

1- Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM

2- v0.9

whats the better one for stability and battery life

thanks

Guest pedrojaime

I must say the timeout options and general config of this rom make for the best battery life I have seen yet on the pulse.

On CM7, standby overnight for 10 hours reduced the battery charge from 100% to 65% - that's 3.5%/hour for doing nothing suposedly..

I am sure I can get 3x longer with this rom, will report back tomorrow morning with my results..

good luck and let me know if you find any more battery saving tweaks aside from switching to 2G, no data, no wifi, no GPS, no bluetooth and screen brightness to minimum (I am a fan of the power widget :blink: ), oh and no overclocking. I am running this test tonight at the default 614MHz with the default minimum timeouts that were already set when I flashed this rom.. If you run at standard 528MHz twrock, are you setting the min to 128MHz or 256MHz? thanks,

Peter

EDIT: just realised I have had the phone on battery for exactly 4 hours since this morning. In this time I have made 2 skype calls (over wifi) totalling 20 minutes and 1 phone call lasting 4 minutes and after this time I am still left with 93% battery so its looking very good so far!

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest Casterina

Try not have the power widget, this could be a major factor to the battery life which we may be unaware of :/

RBM2 has the best battery life, it lasts 3 - 5 days for me depending on usage :blink: