Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with modifications

Guest twrock

Guest pedrojaime

Hey Casterina, what do you mean by RBM2? Is this a rom??

Unfortunately CM6 lacks the detailed battery stats and these are lost upon reboot, unlike CM7. Skype call quality however is stellar with this rom!! Incredible, no stuttering and excellent in general :blink: much better than with CM7 which seemed to be hogging too much ram+CPU

Guest Casterina
Hey Casterina, what do you mean by RBM2? Is this a rom??

Unfortunately CM6 lacks the detailed battery stats and these are lost upon reboot, unlike CM7. Skype call quality however is stellar with this rom!! Incredible, no stuttering and excellent in general :huh: much better than with CM7 which seemed to be hogging too much ram+CPU

Yep, its a 2.1 ROM :blink:

Guest twrock
Try not have the power widget, this could be a major factor to the battery life which we may be unaware of :/

RBM2 has the best battery life, it lasts 3 - 5 days for me depending on usage :)

I wish! :P

Seriously, I have don't know why I don't get any better battery life with RBM2 than I do with this rom. I suspect it is because I can not get Pepe's rom to even run on my phone, so I have to modify it just to get it to run. Of course with any modification, I might have introduced something that shortened the battery life. But since Pepe hasn't reduced the default kernel speed, I can't test the rom as he made it, so I have no choice.

Others have said that they had a huge battery life boost when running stock UK 2.1 (2011). I did that as well. I definitely saw no improvement, even when my only modification was root and Link2SD. I have no explanation why others were getting "days and days" of life. UK 2.1 was the rom I worked with the longest during my testing, but I still got little more than a day of "normal" use. Maybe I just have a bad battery. :blink:

pedrojaime, regarding SetCPU, I am running at 528-122 normally, and have a "screen off" profile of 320-122. If I was seeing better battery life, I'd definitely run at 614-320 normally. At that speed, the phone feels really fast to me. At 528, it is just "normal". As always, YMMV, and apparently it seem to vary for everyone! :huh:

Guest Casterina
I wish! :P

Seriously, I have don't know why I don't get any better battery life with RBM2 than I do with this rom. I suspect it is because I can not get Pepe's rom to even run on my phone, so I have to modify it just to get it to run. Of course with any modification, I might have introduced something that shortened the battery life. But since Pepe hasn't reduced the default kernel speed, I can't test the rom as he made it, so I have no choice.

Others have said that they had a huge battery life boost when running stock UK 2.1 (2011). I did that as well. I definitely saw no improvement, even when my only modification was root and Link2SD. I have no explanation why others were getting "days and days" of life. UK 2.1 was the rom I worked with the longest during my testing, but I still got little more than a day of "normal" use. Maybe I just have a bad battery. :blink:

pedrojaime, regarding SetCPU, I am running at 528-122 normally, and have a "screen off" profile of 320-122. If I was seeing better battery life, I'd definitely run at 614-320 normally. At that speed, the phone feels really fast to me. At 528, it is just "normal". As always, YMMV, and apparently it seem to vary for everyone! :huh:

twrock, trying installing the rbm rom again and wipe battery stats :)

Guest twrock
twrock, trying installing the rbm rom again and wipe battery stats :blink:

I do wipe battery stats every time I install any rom. There is no point in trying to test battery life without wiping battery stats. :huh:

Guest pedrojaime

Well,

I can report that after installing a few apps and leaving the phone from 100% charge overnight, I notice the battery has now gone down to 84% after 8 hours.. This is diconcertnig.. I am sure one app or another or a combination of what I have tweaked is causing this. I AM SURE that just after flashing but not installing anything/modifying anything I have <1% discharge/hour but now without use I am at 2%/hour just leaving it overnight doing nothing..!?

I will test restoring to the factory state of this rom with app2SD and the standard 614/245Mhz CPU freq overnight and see if anything is different regarding this mysterious batter discharge situation.

Also, after my installing and tweaking, the end button (or the power button for that matter) no longer puts the phone to sleep (no locked screen).

Will report back tomorrow morning with the results ;)

Peter

P.S. incidentally twrock, I am using the standard 1700mAH capacity battery that came with my Huawei U8220.. Would love to get hold of those 2500Mah batteries. Does the cover fix with that or do you need a rubber case..?

Guest Juan David

I must say the timeout options and general config of this rom make for the best battery life I have seen yet on the pulse.

On CM7, standby overnight for 10 hours reduced the battery charge from 100% to 65% - that's 3.5%/hour for doing nothing suposedly..

I am sure I can get 3x longer with this rom, will report back tomorrow morning with my results..

good luck and let me know if you find any more battery saving tweaks aside from switching to 2G, no data, no wifi, no GPS, no bluetooth and screen brightness to minimum (I am a fan of the power widget :blink: ), oh and no overclocking. I am running this test tonight at the default 614MHz with the default minimum timeouts that were already set when I flashed this rom.. If you run at standard 528MHz twrock, are you setting the min to 128MHz or 256MHz? thanks,

Peter

EDIT: just realised I have had the phone on battery for exactly 4 hours since this morning. In this time I have made 2 skype calls (over wifi) totalling 20 minutes and 1 phone call lasting 4 minutes and after this time I am still left with 93% battery so its looking very good so far!

hi Peter,

which rom exactly did you used?

Right now i´m using cyanogenmod 6.10.0 rc2 and android 2.2.1 which works pretty well except the wifi that keeps plugin off every 15 min or so when it is in stand by

regards,

JuanD

Guest pedrojaime

Hi Juan David,

I was able to download 'market enabler' from market, then search, find and install latest official skype version which works on 3g as well as wifi.

I am also using the same version as you I think, I downloaded and flashed this one:

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile-pulse-pulse-modaco-com/331260/basic-cm61-pulse0-40-rom-installation-with-modifications/

This one seems to be tweaked for extendnig the battery life to the max. Have not tested leaving the wifi on to see if it disconnects, I am sure I have the same problem though as often I have to disable to wifi and re-enable for it to start working again..

Peter

Guest pedrojaime

Well, I have some interesting results after restoring my fresh install backup last night of CM61 and deleting battery stats. This time, when charging last night I noticed that from 80% to 100% the battery took ages to charge. It seems that the battery stats information were causing not all 100% to get charged before! I then disconnected and left the phone alone all night. Exactly 8 hours later I notice that the battery has gone down from 100% to 97% - this is more like it!! I am doubtful that my poor battery before had anything to do with the software I have on my phone since I am very careful not to leave anythnig running unnecessarily. So I have restored to my latest state and reset the battery stats again and will test again 8 hours on standby tonight to see if the skewed battery stats were to blame and if I still get 97% battery again!

cheers,

Peter

Guest twrock

Well, I have some interesting results after restoring my fresh install backup last night of CM61 and deleting battery stats. This time, when charging last night I noticed that from 80% to 100% the battery took ages to charge. It seems that the battery stats information were causing not all 100% to get charged before! I then disconnected and left the phone alone all night. Exactly 8 hours later I notice that the battery has gone down from 100% to 97% - this is more like it!! I am doubtful that my poor battery before had anything to do with the software I have on my phone since I am very careful not to leave anythnig running unnecessarily. So I have restored to my latest state and reset the battery stats again and will test again 8 hours on standby tonight to see if the skewed battery stats were to blame and if I still get 97% battery again!

cheers,

Peter

Just a simple follow up. I again installed the RBM2 rom, and again after testing for a few days, I got no better battery life running that rom than this CM6.1 rom. But with RBM2 I was seeing less stability (fc's). So all I can say is that I have no idea how others are getting such long battery life on ANY rom. I generally get through a day of my "regular use," and I need to charge every night. YMMV.

I hope that Tom G can give us a CM7.1 rom at least as fully functional as this rom. He seems to have seen good battery life using his latest build, so that is promising. But some of the other current problems with that rom keep me from running it.

Guest pedrojaime

Just to let peopl people know that I am still getting really good battery life, even with my modifications with the standard factory battery on the pulse. I really think its because I just use the basic features of the phone and I don't have wifi, GPS, Bluetooth or synchronisation on. I switch wifi on when I get home, and I find that I can have 3G on without it affecting things too much. The good thing is that when the phone is on standby, it only consumes 3% battery over 8-10 hours. I must have disabled too many services though because list night after browsing over wifi the phone went into a booting loop and would not come back so had to restore to my latest backup.. wierd. I suspect it needed one of those frozen services was required. All is well now though and I think I will stick to this rom for a year now after all this experimenting..

I just installed your rom twrock, I'm really satisfied, just two things though:

1. There's something up with the rom/phone not playing most youtube videos (black screen, only sound)

2. Even though I wrote the following in the terminal:

su

a2sd swappy30

A2SDGUI says my swappines value is set to 10, why is this?

Otherwise excellent rom, really appreciate it! :D

Guest twrock

I just installed your rom twrock, I'm really satisfied, just two things though:

1. There's something up with the rom/phone not playing most youtube videos (black screen, only sound)

2. Even though I wrote the following in the terminal:

su

a2sd swappy30
A2SDGUI says my swappines value is set to 10, why is this? Otherwise excellent rom, really appreciate it! :D
1. I don't know about Youtube. I don't ever use it, so I'm not aware there is any issues with it. You might just uninstall it and reinstall to see if that makes a difference. 2. I don't trust A2SDGUI to be accurate. Try this in Terminal instead and see what you get:
su

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

(Note: I assume Terminal is getting root privileges. If not, that would be the problem.)

1. I don't know about Youtube. I don't ever use it, so I'm not aware there is any issues with it. You might just uninstall it and reinstall to see if that makes a difference.

2. I don't trust A2SDGUI to be accurate. Try this in Terminal instead and see what you get:

su

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
(Note: I assume Terminal is getting root privileges. If not, that would be the problem.)
This is what I got:
$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH

$su

# cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

#

Edited by Guest

Guest twrock

This is what I got:

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH

$su

# cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

#
In that case, I don't have a clue what is going on. Yes, your swappiness is definitely set to 10. How it got there and why you can't change it is the strange part. Did you ever set it to 10? What size is your swap partition? What do you get when you enter:
su

free

Did you do anything "non-standard" during the initial install? I noticed that you said the link to DT A2SD was down previously. Did you install some other DT A2SD version than what I linked in the first post?

This seems very curious to me. I've not seen it, and I haven't heard of anyone else either.

In that case, I don't have a clue what is going on. Yes, your swappiness is definitely set to 10. How it got there and why you can't change it is the strange part. Did you ever set it to 10? What size is your swap partition? What do you get when you enter:

su

free
Did you do anything "non-standard" during the initial install? I noticed that you said the link to DT A2SD was down previously. Did you install some other DT A2SD version than what I linked in the first post? This seems very curious to me. I've not seen it, and I haven't heard of anyone else either.
Never set it to 10, however, i had no idea you had to create a swap partition... How does one do that? This is what i got:
$ su

# free

total 		used 		free   	shared  	buffers

Mem:   	107408   	103856 		3552        	0      	344

Swap:        	0        	0        	0

Total:   	107408   	103856 		3552

Edited by Guest

Guest pedrojaime

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced an issue with rotation that stops working? Rebooting always fixes this but just wondering is people have been seeing the rotation stuck at a certain orientation in applications when you have not had a reboot in a few days (roughly 3+ days)..? thanks, Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest twrock

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced an issue with rotation that stops working? Rebooting always fixes this but just wondering is people have been seeing the rotation stuck at a certain orientation in applications when you have not had a reboot in a few days (roughly 3+ days)..? thanks, Peter

(I should add this to the first post.....)

Yes, it is a known problem, at least it happens for some people. As mentioned elsewhere by me, I don't know why, but I did a couple of things to "solve" it. I have no idea what actually solves it, I just know since doing these things, I don't have that problem.

1. While booting, I always hold my phone in portrait position until it is finished.

2. I have disabled 180 and 270 degree rotation in Settings/CyanogenMod settings/User interface. So I only allow 90 degree rotation.

3. I set ADW Launcher to only use portrait mode.

Again, I'm not saying that all of those must be done to solve the problem. What I do know is that I don't have the problem since doing those things. Maybe only one of those is necessary. YMMV.

Guest twrock

Never set it to 10, however, i had no idea you had to create a swap partition...

How does one do that?

This is what i got:

$ su

# free

total 		used 		free   	shared  	buffers

Mem:   	107408   	103856 		3552        	0      	344

Swap:        	0        	0        	0

Total:   	107408   	103856 		3552

Ah, so you have no swap at all (no swap partition). Yes, that will cause a problem with swappiness. ;)

Go back to the first post in this thread where I talk about that. There is a link there to one way of doing it. There is also information in the Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide, and you can search this forum for a lot of other information on what to do about creating swap space.

Guest pedrojaime

(I should add this to the first post.....)

Yes, it is a known problem, at least it happens for some people. As mentioned elsewhere by me, I don't know why, but I did a couple of things to "solve" it. I have no idea what actually solves it, I just know since doing these things, I don't have that problem.

1. While booting, I always hold my phone in portrait position until it is finished.

2. I have disabled 180 and 270 degree rotation in Settings/CyanogenMod settings/User interface. So I only allow 90 degree rotation.

3. I set ADW Launcher to only use portrait mode.

Again, I'm not saying that all of those must be done to solve the problem. What I do know is that I don't have the problem since doing those things. Maybe only one of those is necessary. YMMV.

Thanks twrock, to be honest I have not used ADW launcher for a while, I am using Go Launcher EX which seems fine for speed and I have rotation disabled in its settings. The only Thing I changed now was disable 270 degree rotation in Settings/CyanogenMod settings/User interface and rebooted so lets see if this does the trick :rolleyes:

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest wwwhizz

I've installed this ROM way back (I believe around april). Now I've got a new phone (Galaxy S2, yay!) and gave my Pulse to my girlfriend. However, I've done clean swipe and now it drains battery like mad. Any ideas as to why that happens?

Guest Casterina

I've installed this ROM way back (I believe around april). Now I've got a new phone (Galaxy S2, yay!) and gave my Pulse to my girlfriend. However, I've done clean swipe and now it drains battery like mad. Any ideas as to why that happens?

Did you wipe battery stats when your battery was at 100%