Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with modifications

Guest twrock

Guest sleepingman

i've just installed your rom and everything is working perfectly except one litle detail:

i cant receive calls...

im going to try and find out if it was something that i donne but if is a bug im just reporting it :D

great work and i followed every steps required to install for the record :D

cumps

Guest Fusion0306
i've just installed your rom and everything is working perfectly except one litle detail:

i cant receive calls...

im going to try and find out if it was something that i donne but if is a bug im just reporting it :D

cumps

It's not a bug cause I can make and receive calls just fine

Sorry, I forgot that :D

By the way, you can make the update-script format system on its own...

I keep going back and forth on this one. I understand why CM doesn't do it, and we aren't even in that same situation. So I think, sure, just delete everything. Then all those people who "can't be bothered" to read the install instructions will stop reporting bugs. But then I say to myself, I really don't want to step away from the CM way of doing things, believing that there still is a chance for us to get 6.1 final and I don't want to make too many changes. I've even considered saying forget them, and integrating the gapps right in there. But then again, I do like the flexibility of a "modular" system, letting the user pick and choose.

I'll consider it all again if I update it. But for now, I don't want to mess with what's working. :D

i cant receive calls...

im going to try and find out if it was something that i donne but if is a bug im just reporting it :)

cumps

I'm pretty sure that after more than 400 installs and no one else reporting something as significant as the phone not receiving calls, you can be fairly certain it's not a bug. :D

So either you have a completely unique piece of hardware or you really do have something broken on your phone, or (sorry to inform you) you didn't follow every step required to install it.

(And, yes, I have been through this before with people who are sure they did "everything", right up to the moment when they discovered for themselves that they didn't.)

Try again, from the top.

Edit: I see Fusion gave you the short answer. Yep, what he said. :)

Edited by twrock

I'm affraid that it made no difference... :D

Sorry about that. I have no idea about this bug.

Do you know if it ever worked with any of the CM ports or with any of the other Froyo roms for our Pulse phones? Is this the first you've seen it?

Try searching in the CM AIO thread first, then post the question there as well. There are people who are working on stuff there that understand a lot more about these issues than I do.

But, please, let us know anything you discover.

Guest maxter.by
I just noticed the Youtube high quality bug. The youtube clips play, but not in hq. Anyone else had this bug? I tried installing youtube from the market and from 0.3 gapps and the problem persist...

As far as I know, it has to do something with hardware acceleration? If that's right, how come it worked on 2.1? Sorry if this has been mentioned

I nave this bug too. In older cm's as i notice it was too( Clips plaing, but without picture, only sound. it seemed picture is freezing.

Edited by maxter.by

Guest sleepingman
I'm pretty sure that after more than 400 installs and no one else reporting something as significant as the phone not receiving calls, you can be fairly certain it's not a bug. :D

So either you have a completely unique piece of hardware or you really do have something broken on your phone, or (sorry to inform you) you didn't follow every step required to install it.

(And, yes, I have been through this before with people who are sure they did "everything", right up to the moment when they discovered for themselves that they didn't.)

Try again, from the top.

Edit: I see Fusion gave you the short answer. Yep, what he said. :D

i think i have found out what was causing that, i installed a live wallpaper and when i remove it everything went normal :)

and yes i may have not followed every step(i think i did but.... we never know for sure :))

anyway if you still feel like, keep the good work with this rom, if not what you did was very good :)

thanks

Guest AntonioPT
I keep going back and forth on this one. I understand why CM doesn't do it, and we aren't even in that same situation. So I think, sure, just delete everything. Then all those people who "can't be bothered" to read the install instructions will stop reporting bugs. But then I say to myself, I really don't want to step away from the CM way of doing things, believing that there still is a chance for us to get 6.1 final and I don't want to make too many changes. I've even considered saying forget them, and integrating the gapps right in there. But then again, I do like the flexibility of a "modular" system, letting the user pick and choose.

I'll consider it all again if I update it. But for now, I don't want to mess with what's working. :D

I understand your position. By the way, I recently spoke with Tom and he's back to working on the U8220, specifically on the CM7 port. And if you guys want 6.1 final I can do that for you (or so I think... I recently built 6.1 final but some files on vendor/cyanogen were missing, so I ended up building a mix of AOSP and CM) this weekend or so...

Guest arlindo.costa
I understand your position. By the way, I recently spoke with Tom and he's back to working on the U8220, specifically on the CM7 port. And if you guys want 6.1 final I can do that for you (or so I think... I recently built 6.1 final but some files on vendor/cyanogen were missing, so I ended up building a mix of AOSP and CM) this weekend or so...

Good news :D :D

Guest AntonioPT
good news i guess but does that mean the front facing camera and mac address issue is going to get fixed here? or is there no issues with that in cm7? :D

Don't know about that... Totiadrenalin was working on fixing the mac address issue, but I believe the front facing camera problem is still present in cm7 (unless Tom fixed that in his recent development).

if i want to instal something my device is restarting...any ideeas?

When installing the rom, did you:

1. do a full data wipe/factory reset

2. format /system

3. install the gapps from the link in the first post of this thread

i think i have found out what was causing that, i installed a live wallpaper and when i remove it everything went normal :D

and yes i may have not followed every step(i think i did but.... we never know for sure :D)

anyway if you still feel like, keep the good work with this rom, if not what you did was very good :)

thanks

Ah, yes, if you have already started installing apps and making other changes, then the possible reasons for something not to work are multiplied greatly.

Nothing but good news there. Are there any real changes in CM6.1 final over what we've already got? Any of the known bugs solved? (I think all of our bugs are because we have the Pulse, not because we don't have 6.1 final, right?)

It'd be great to get CM7 running. But even better would be to see Huawei release a Froyo update so we can get our hands on the remaining drivers. At least I think that is what it would mean.

In the mean time, I have a very stable and sufficiently quick phone at this point. I don't want to re-edit my explanation in the second post about my personal settings, but I'm not using those exactly that way any more. Basically everything is the same with two exceptions.

1. From the last time I reinstalled, I have purposefully not used DT to adjust the memory killer settings or swappiness. Because Compcache is set at 18% by default in this rom, swappiness gets set at 30 during installation. That seems really good for me. But I still disable compcache after installation. (And then I have to set swappiness back to 30 since it automatically changes to 60 when compcache is turned off.)

2. Instead of using DT to adjust my mem killer settings, I installed Toti's lowmem script instead. I renamed it 12lowmem so that its number would be higher than DT's script number (which is 10 on my phone). I agree with Toti; the settings he came up with work really well on my phone (1536,2048,4096,6400,8960,10240). [Edit: I have found that these settings are possibly a bit TOO aggressive; my clock widget has started to stop updating.]

Of course YMMV, but that is really working well for me. Also, someone else suggested the use of SeePU, which I have found useful as well to watch what is happening with the memory.

And part of my saying all of that is to say that my motivation for further modifying this rom is waning. I don't have the requisite skills to fix any of the remaining issue with it, so there really isn't anything I can do anyway. So unless some new version of the Android rom gets released for our phones, and it needs to be tweaked for my own use, I think I'm finished working on this. (Well, if someone comes up with a patch for this rom that does fix something and I can easily use it, I certainly would fix this rom if a newer version wasn't yet ready.)

Edit: Antonio, how hard would it be for you to modify the Starkos 691 boot.img to use Toti's numbers by default? I really do think they are better for our phone. Because using the script Toti made means that you can't make lowmem adjustment with DT. (Or, Starkos, are you still here; can you do it?) Maybe if I have a bit of time this weekend I'll "re-learn" how to mod and repack the boot.img. I'm getting too old for this stuff! :D

Edited by twrock

Guest Boony123
Don't know about that... Totiadrenalin was working on fixing the mac address issue, but I believe the front facing camera problem is still present in cm7 (unless Tom fixed that in his recent development).

ah hopefuly they do give us the 2.2 with a nice new kernel and drives or something, giving us multi touch would be a nice thing too :D

Guest Markus Arnold
AND, DON'T FORGET TO FORMAT /SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!

(Yes, I did mean to yell that. I'm getting tired of people not reading the instructions.) :D

And on another note, about 20% of the people who download the rom are not downloading the gapps. That's fine, IF you know what you are doing. But if you don't, or if you encounter problem with the install and with running this rom, please remember that you probably brought the problems on yourself.

hm.. i did exactly what was told in the instructions and now my pulse got stuck at the "ANDROID" boot screen...

i had flb 1.6 installed (with TRE as 2.1 base).

i did the partitioning and formatting again (512 mb ext2, 32mb swap),

formatted system,

did the factory wipe/reset

and installed all of the 3 zip files in the order you listed them.

i tried to do the things again form the format system on, i also did a dalvik wipe and wiped the cache.

didn't help, yet.

now i'm trying to get back to flb, but nandroid says: can't find directory: No files found.

so i tried the "normal" CM6.1 -> which leads to bootloop.

do u guys have an idea?

edit: looks like there is a problem with the ext - i cant mount it anymore...maybe repartitioning will help

Edited by Markus Arnold

i had flb 1.6 installed (with TRE as 2.1 base).

You must have updated to the official UK 2.1 rom

i think that rom has a different partition.

Edited by msig

Guest Markus Arnold
You must have updated to the official UK 2.1 rom

i think that rom has a different partition.

Yes, you can install this ROM over FLB 1.6 (but don't forget to wipe!)

hm- who's right?

i think the problem must be my sdcard - still can't mount the sd-ext. and somehow i have problems getting gparted tp work (unfortunately i don't use linux..)

edit: tried my other sd card: no sucess. but now my problems are getting worse: nandroid wont restore: it says. md5 mismatch (with both of the backups i did before).

edit2: installing the basic cm + gapps without DT worked finally.... u guys have an idea?

edit3: is it possible to install DT afterwards?

Edited by Markus Arnold

hm- who's right?

i think the problem must be my sdcard - still can't mount the sd-ext. and somehow i have problems getting gparted tp work (unfortunately i don't use linux..)

edit: tried my other sd card: no sucess. but now my problems are getting worse: nandroid wont restore: it says. md5 mismatch (with both of the backups i did before).

edit2: installing the basic cm + gapps without DT worked finally.... u guys have an idea?

Hmm, I honestly don't know if people are installing this rom on top of the Tre official rom or not. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't vouch for that method. Although, before I moved to CM6.1 (Froyo), I always used the Tre rom as my starting point to install other mods (because I wanted a larger /system partition). But I switched to the UK2.1 official before moving to CM. I can't think of a logical reason why it won't work, but I can't always think of everything. :D

Since things are already messed up for you, you could consider going ahead and applying the UK2.1 official update, then try installing this rom again. But you'll have to flash CW Recovery if you do that, so make sure you know all the steps before you start.

As far are partitioning/formatting your SD card goes, I just read today that "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" will do that. Here it is from bakpinar over at XDA:

I use free "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" (windows application) for this.

You can create ext2 partition without repartitioning, formatting or deleting anything with this tool. Connect your SD card to PC with a card reader or phone itself and make it visible as a drive. Open Minitool select this drive and resize down FAT partition, you will see an unallocated area at the end of the card. Create ext2 partition in that area (create as primary, not logical), click apply. Insert card and reboot the phone. (To be on the safe side backup your data before starting)

I've never used it, and I don't do my partitioning with Windows.

Incidentally, every problem I've had with trying to restore a nandroid backup via CW Recovery has been because it didn't warn me and I didn't notice the card was full when I made the backup. I just ended up with empty files and a md5 error at restore. I don't know if that is what went wrong for you or not.

Guest Filos69

Sorry to my imperfect english.

I have installed this on my Huawei U8230 buyed in Italy, with original 2.1 system (eclair), rooted with z4root application, and ........ it's ALL OK !!!!! :D

I don't have installed Dark Tremor Apps2SD because use the original menu settings (i don't know if correct, but function to move application on SD)

Very thank's. Bye.

Edited by Filos69