Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with modifications

Guest twrock

Guest bugthing

FYI.

Problem solved for me too.

I installed UK2.1 update

Installed clockwork-recovery 2.5.0.7 (via fastboot)

I booted in recovery and ran through the instructions provided near the start if this thread.

All working well ... thanks for the help and pointers, not sure what fixed it, perhaps ensuring I was on CW recovery 2.5.0.7 did the trick!?

thanks for a excellent rom and proving there is life in the old dog yet! :huh:

Problem solved ! ! ! !

I have installed recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.7

The problem was caused becaused i had recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.5 .

Thanks for all support, and its a great rom .

Guest CarpetDiem
I know very little, and I'm sure of even less. :P I have asked these same questions myself, and not heard any definitive answers. So what I say here is only what I "feel" is true, with no proof whatsoever that it is true. I hope someone who can tell us in simple language will also reply.

It seems to me that if you have swap enabled, compcache is a waste. It seems to be a duplicate function, and I disable it. So that way the system can use all my available ram, and then use the swap partition for caching of running apps.

But when you disable compcache in this rom, swappiness jumps up to 60 (something that happens in the rom and I have no idea how to change that default behavior). But swappy60 has always made my phone lag terribly no matter what size swap partition I had. So I set swappy30 all the time. (You can check swappiness with "cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness" in terminal.)

I previously had a 64mb swap partition. It seemed to be nothing but a waste to have it that large. In order to avoid lag, I had to use swappy15. So what's the point? I reduced swap to 32mb and I use swappy30. That "feels" good. Others have explained that the swappiness number has to do with how much of the swap partition can be used. But I don't understand that. Otherwise, why not just have a 10mb swap partition and set swappy90? I really don't know, and I really don't understand.

So as you can see, most of what I believe is simply through trial and error. I've tried to read what other more knowledgeable people have written, but there seems to be somewhat contradictory information about all of this. Additionally, the lowmem killer numbers seem to have a significant influence as well. But everything seems to effect everything else. So it is kind of like a witch's brew; if you can get the exact right amounts of everything, it is very powerful. :huh:

So all of that should make it obvious to all that I really am just guessing most of the time. :)

First of all ,I do really admire you,I just couldn't believe this incredible achievement coming from a non-professional dev.How I wish people in our motherland could have just half of your preciseness.Back to the topic,is there anyone knowing that who is the first one brought these linux features(swap,compcache,vmheap) into android?CM team?What's their original purpose?I think that might be the key to our issues.

Regards

Edited by CarpetDiem

Guest craigb244

I have a problem.

ive installed the latest official UK 2.1

then installed clockwork 2.5.0.4

then using clockwork did a factory reset and wiped system

then installed CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3.2.zip

then dtapps2sd_2.7.5.2_signed.zip

then gapps-pulse-f0.3.2.zip

I notice that during installing gapps i notice the bar hangs about half way for a second then says finished.

when i boot the phone I do not get the new phone thing where you log in to google.

google mail thing is missing.

seems to me that maybe there is not enough space on system to hold gapps?

anyone else had this problem or is it just me?

Guest elphzwolf
I have a problem.

I notice that during installing gapps i notice the bar hangs about half way for a second then says finished.

when i boot the phone I do not get the new phone thing where you log in to google.

I'm having the same issue.... I'm also having the perpetual "Obtaining IP address" thingy when trying to connect to WiFi.

Guest Dogsvsmonkeys
I'm having the same issue.... I'm also having the perpetual "Obtaining IP address" thingy when trying to connect to WiFi.

Me too. Also no Market...

I have a problem.

It is very possible the latest UK official has different partition sizes. I don't know if that is true or not, but that is the single thing you have mentioned that is not in keeping with the "typical" install. So then it is a good guess that that is the problem. Go back to the previous "official" UK update and see if that solves your problem. (And, newer is not always better.) :huh:

Edit: Or you could manually delete some of the /system/app files out of the gapps.zip to create more space. There are multiple ways to solve this, but using the older UK update will mean that you are using what the majority of people are and are more likely to have the same results as they did.

Edited by twrock

Guest craigb244
It is very possible the latest UK official has different partition sizes. I don't know if that is true or not, but that is the single thing you have mentioned that is not in keeping with the "typical" install. So then it is a good guess that that is the problem. Go back to the previous "official" UK update and see if that solves your problem. (And, newer is not always better.) :huh:

Edit: Or you could manually delete some of the /system/app files out of the gapps.zip to create more space. There are multiple ways to solve this, but using the older UK update will mean that you are using what the majority of people are and are more likely to have the same results as they did.

yup I did go back to 1.6.

I deleted some stuff and got it to work. so my guess is the system partition is much smaller.

would removing stuff such as the crappy ring tones and the childish boot screen free space on the system partition? (the boot screen is 2mb!)

yup I did go back to 1.6.

I deleted some stuff and got it to work. so my guess is the system partition is much smaller.

would removing stuff such as the crappy ring tones and the childish boot screen free space on the system partition? (the boot screen is 2mb!)

1.6? I was suggesting going back to the older 2.1 official UK update. But if what you did works, great.

Yep, I believe so. You can delete all sorts of things. The boot animation is quite large. I removed it in the TWeak rom to create space.

I'd recommend you open the zips, delete all the stuff you don't want and have it the way you want it.

(Of course there is a limit to what you can delete before your phone starts losing functionality and stability, but that's a whole other issue.)

Guest romanmosko

Huawei has upload today new drivers. You heard something about it? There is something useful for port in your rom?

Sorry for my English.

Edited by romanmosko

Guest totiadrenalin

I just wan't to help you Tworck, the way as you was helping me before!

The new Uke 2.1 update is absolutely the same as the 2.1 DE rom

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs 52.5M 12.0K 52.5M 0% /dev

tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals

/dev/block/mtdblock1 85.0M 82.6M 2.4M 97% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock2 105.3M 87.5M 17.7M 83% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock3 20.0M 8.3M 11.7M 42% /cache

By the way the best solution would be the Hungary, or Tre 2.1 update

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest elphzwolf
I just wan't to help you Tworck, the way as you was helping me before!

The new Uke 2.1 update is absolutely the same as the 2.1 DE rom

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs 52.5M 12.0K 52.5M 0% /dev

tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals

/dev/block/mtdblock1 85.0M 82.6M 2.4M 97% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock2 105.3M 87.5M 17.7M 83% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock3 20.0M 8.3M 11.7M 42% /cache

By the way the best solution would be the Hungary, or Tre 2.1 update

The old UK 2.1 (URL available in the Ultimate pulse Owners guide) also works (has the same partition sizes as the TRE/HU updates)

Guest twrock
The old UK 2.1 (URL available in the Ultimate pulse Owners guide) also works (has the same partition sizes as the TRE/HU updates)

I am 95% sure that the Tre 2.1 update had a larger /system partition than the old UK 2.1 update. Back when I was modding 2.1 roms, I purposefully used the Tre rom because it had more space, allowing me to add the necessary files to support Chinese IME. I could install my roms on the Tre update, but not on the UK update. (But of course I left myself 5% space to be wrong about that.) :huh:

Toti, that's interesting to me. So these newest two updates are the same in partition size. The DE rom has a number of language packs that are taking up a lot of space. So if the /system partition is smaller than the older UK 2.1 update, it is quite small indeed! I'm curious now what all they left out to make things fit.

Is anyone willing to take the time to build us the "rom modders DE 2.1 rom", similar to what I did last year with the Tre rom mod? (basically, root, dt a2sd, and swap enabled) I know for some of you that would be trivial, but for me, it would require learning how to do it all over again (something I reeeeeeeeally don't want to take the time to do).

Edited by twrock

Guest jsantos

Hi,

My device is Huawei U8230. I began with official 2.1 update (Portuguese version), then installed CM6-pulse0.4 ROM. After that I decided to try a ROM with DT app2sd and OC, so I installed this version.

I have created only EXT2 partition (no swap) on my 8GB class 10 sdcard, I have formatted system and wipe data/factory reset. Then I installed TWeak0.3xLM-CM61-pulse.zip, DT APP2SD and TWeak0.3x-gapps.zip.

All seems to work fine for 2 or 3 days, but then when I was installing one app, the phone rebooted and did not started properly again. The ROM starts well until the boot animation (android logo on TWeak0.3 version or CM logo on basic version), but then the animation freezes and the animation starts again. Was like a boot loop but only with initial animation.

I installed all over again but without formatting system. Did not work. The solution was formatting system and wipe data. Then I installed basic version (CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3.2.zip)

After a couple of hours a new reboot and a new problem. The Market application simply disappear!!! I had to install the ROM again.

Now I have the TWeak0.3.2-CM61-pulse ROM. For now its fine, but sometimes when I am installing apps the system reboots. After the reboot I have to add all the widgets to desktop, because widgets become invalid.

I am thinking the problem is the DT app2sd application or some sdcard corruption. There are anyone getting this problems with DT app2sd?

I have some doubts about DT app2sd:

The EXT partition can be formatted as EXT3?

When I am using DT app2sd, all apps goes to sd card?

How can I see where the app is installed?

All apps can be installed on SD card?

I need some help to understand what is the problem, because I like this ROM. For now I will try to format the sdcard again to see if it solves the problem.

Guest twrock
Huawei has upload today new drivers. You heard something about it? There is something useful for port in your rom?

Sorry for my English.

I did see that, but as far as I can tell, there is nothing useful in there. It seems everything they "gave" us, we already had. There seems to be no source code for the developers to work with. There is nothing there other than the binaries that we already had from unpacking the previous roms ourselves.

Personally, I don't think the people are Huawei are stupid. I think they know what they are doing. I think they hoped the people who were asking for the "drivers" were stupid enough to accept the binaries. But the real developers don't need the binaries (and we already had those anyway). Developers need the source code. Once again, Huawei did not give us anything useful. They just played a game by saying they were going to give us the drivers. "Technically" they did give us the drivers, but only in binary format. It's of no use.

Guest twrock
Hi,

My device is Huawei U8230. I began with official 2.1 update (Portuguese version), then installed CM6-pulse0.4 ROM. After that I decided to try a ROM with DT app2sd and OC, so I installed this version.

I have created only EXT2 partition (no swap) on my 8GB class 10 sdcard, I have formatted system and wipe data/factory reset. Then I installed TWeak0.3xLM-CM61-pulse.zip, DT APP2SD and TWeak0.3x-gapps.zip.

All seems to work fine for 2 or 3 days, but then when I was installing one app, the phone rebooted and did not started properly again. The ROM starts well until the boot animation (android logo on TWeak0.3 version or CM logo on basic version), but then the animation freezes and the animation starts again. Was like a boot loop but only with initial animation.

I installed all over again but without formatting system. Did not work. The solution was formatting system and wipe data. Then I installed basic version (CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3.2.zip)

After a couple of hours a new reboot and a new problem. The Market application simply disappear!!! I had to install the ROM again.

Now I have the TWeak0.3.2-CM61-pulse ROM. For now its fine, but sometimes when I am installing apps the system reboots. After the reboot I have to add all the widgets to desktop, because widgets become invalid.

I am thinking the problem is the DT app2sd application or some sdcard corruption. There are anyone getting this problems with DT app2sd?

I have some doubts about DT app2sd:

The EXT partition can be formatted as EXT3?

When I am using DT app2sd, all apps goes to sd card?

How can I see where the app is installed?

All apps can be installed on SD card?

I need some help to understand what is the problem, because I like this ROM. For now I will try to format the sdcard again to see if it solves the problem.

First, think through this logically. What is the difference between what you have done and what the instructions suggest you do? In your case, I see two differences: you have a 8230 and you started with the Portuguese update. I bring that up so that you understand that I don't know if that is you problem or not. But you need to know.

In most cases I am aware of, problems with Market are problems with the partition sizes of the official update. The problem is that /system is too full, and "Vending.apk" (Market) is one of the last files to get copied into /system. So it doesn't work right. If that is true for you, there are two solutions that I can suggest: use a different official update (old UK 2.1) or edit the rom to reduce the files that will be installed into /system.

If you don't need the Chinese support, don't use the TWeak rom; start with the "basic" version. Unzip the basic rom, keeping all folders in order. Find /system/media/bootanimation.zip and delete it. And if that isn't enough, you can go into /system/app and delete Music.apk and Touchpal.apk (assuming they are not critical apps for you). You can probably move Music and Touchpal over to the Gapps.zip, and put them into /data/app if you still want those apps. The point is, you can create more space by moving apps out of /system/app (in the basic rom or gapps) and putting them into /data/app. Note: this is probably not possible to do with every app in /system, but the ones I mentioned are most like just fine.

After you have finished deleting or moving files, re-zip the basic rom and/or gapps files. Then go back to the beginning, boot recovery, full wipe, and install your modified rom.

Edit: And, no, you can't use ext3. You must use ext2 for your apps2sd partition.

Edited by twrock

Guest arlindo.costa

I'm using The Portuguese u8230(TMN A1) with the CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3.2.zip ROM with dtapps2sd without any hassles other than the known bugs. I've also never had problems with lack of space in system partition. Disappearing widgets sounds like installing with Froyo's A2SD.

Do you have CyanogenMod install definitions to Internal?

-> Cyanogenmod Settings

-> Application Settings

-> Install location

-> Internal

Guest steina

Hiho,

first of all i like this rom :huh:

Everything is working nice i just got 1 problem the messaging app... I can open it and then i see the the names of the people now when i click on it to read the older messages or to reply it crashs :)(

I tried Handcentsms and gosms both crash..

Some Infos: Wiped system like10 times no change...

Using a U8230 btw..

Installed the newest version of the BasicVersion..

And i got around 6000 messages maybe thats the problem? That i've got too much messages?

I hope someone can help me

Edited by steina

Guest twrock
Is anyone willing to take the time to build us the "rom modders DE 2.1 rom", similar to what I did last year with the Tre rom mod?

Ok, did it myself. Flashed, booted, running. If all goes well in testing, I'll upload it and start a new thread.

Guest twrock
Please, past screenshot!!!

For this rom here? The basic CM6.1 Pulse0.40 f0.3.2 rom? Why?

Just imagine vanilla Froyo with stock ADW Launcher, and you have it. This rom is "basic".

If you want more eye-candy than that, install some other theme. There's nothing stopping you from making it look just as pretty as you like. :huh:

Guest avenn

The explanation on the first page on how to install this ROM en the post installation settings is just pure gold.

You did an amazing job with this twrock!

I believe a lot of people just install a ROM and stop there. But with this guide it is so simple to do the post installation settings and increase the potential dramatically. Its not that it gets a bit better after doing these settings, its a huuuugeee increase in speed, stability and free space on the phone...

If, for whatever reason, you doubt to install dta2sd on your pulse I would say it is a MUST have!!!

Thanks twrock...

Guest UTOPY

GOOD EVENING TWROCK

Thank you again for this ROM very functional shares the same opinion as Avenn.

Could you give me the link to the official 2.1 of Rom DE and link for the file from the RECOVERY CLOCKWORKMOD 2.5.0.7

Thank you in advance and greetings from France