Connecting to Ad Hoc networks

Guest 2old2mould

Guest 2old2mould

Hi All,

I've recently acquired an o2 3g dongle and have it connected directly to my laptop when I'm travelling with work. I'm running W7Pro on my laptop. I've tried many times to connect my Vega (and my N1) to the adhoc network I've created without any success.

I've used the WPA_SUPPLICANT hack on both devices so that Ad Hoc networks appear starred (*). I set up my adhoc connection on my laptop and enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and then scan for the network using my device.

Both devices see the adhoc network and recognise it as such, and both try to authenticate but that's as far as it goes, except for if I set the Adhoc network up to use WEP the Vega tries to obtain an IP address and then fails.

I'm running 1.08+r6+MCK r2 on my Vega and CM6.1.1 on my N1.

I'm starting to suspect it may be the settings on my laptop if others have very successfully managed this. This would help me out a lot because at the moment I'm using my N1 as the hotspot which is draining the allowance pretty rapidly (I do have a 3 Mifi dongle but where I am based during the week in Leeds it's choked due to high usage and manages a paltry 0.3Mbps d/l!)

Does anyone have any advice to get this to work?

Cheers in advance.

2o2m.

By the way I have tried to search the forums but so far no joy for this particular issue.

Edited by 2old2mould

Guest 2old2mould

To answer my own question.

I thought I had found a work around by installing Connectify on my laptop. However it transpires that my Intel Wifi card on the MoBo of my laptop does not allow conversion to AP and will not share an Internet connection over WEP.

In a nutshell it's about whether you laptop hardware will allow you to create an Internet sharing connection. Mine apparently won't so I'll try a different laptop at the w/e.

Guest trevor432990
To answer my own question.

I thought I had found a work around by installing Connectify on my laptop. However it transpires that my Intel Wifi card on the MoBo of my laptop does not allow conversion to AP and will not share an Internet connection over WEP.

In a nutshell it's about whether you laptop hardware will allow you to create an Internet sharing connection. Mine apparently won't so I'll try a different laptop at the w/e.

Before you ditch the laptop have you considered using your Bluetooth network on both devices. In theory with the right set-up (see this blog example) you can share the 3G internet access on your laptop with the Vega via Bluetooth. Not tried this myself before but it seems feasible ;)

Guest 2old2mould
Before you ditch the laptop have you considered using your Bluetooth network on both devices. In theory with the right set-up (see this blog example) you can share the 3G internet access on your laptop with the Vega via Bluetooth. Not tried this myself before but it seems feasible ;)

The bluetooth option sounds good! I'll give it a try next week and report back. Also I'll try accessing an adhoc network at home on my Samsung N110 W7 Starter. See if that works. if it does I know it's the hardware.

2o2m.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mickgoodie1
The bluetooth option sounds good! I'll give it a try next week and report back. Also I'll try accessing an adhoc network at home on my Samsung N110 W7 Starter. See if that works. if it does I know it's the hardware.

2o2m.

I am having the exact same issue with my vega trying to get it to connect to barnacle off my htc hero. It all worked off the r6 vega rom but since upgrading to r8 (twice now) it fails to connect. Can you just confirm the version and where you got the wpa-supplicant file from and where you are installing to please.

I can connect to an adhoc network using the amended wpa_supplicant found in the r8 modaco rom, BUT it does NOT work with encryption, you have to run an open network!!

The designers of Android did not want to support WEP but adhoc networks can't use anything else, so catch 22.

My solution was to stick the Vega in host mode and plug in a USB modem.

Tethering via bluetooth was not an option as my phone does not support bluetooth PAN (personal area network) and the Vega does not have DUN (dialup network) profile.

Sharing a laptop connection via bluetooth may work I have not tried to connect to a PC.

Hope this helps

Guest simonta
The designers of Android did not want to support WEP but adhoc networks can't use anything else, so catch 22

Exsqueeze me?

Adhoc networks can use whatever security they want as long as both ends understand the contract. I use WPA2 on my adhoc between Desire and Vega.

Guest Mickgoodie1
I am having the exact same issue with my vega trying to get it to connect to barnacle off my htc hero. It all worked off the r6 vega rom but since upgrading to r8 (twice now) it fails to connect. Can you just confirm the version and where you got the wpa-supplicant file from and where you are installing to please.

Finally got my vega to tether off my hero. Dropped in system/bin the wpa-supplicant file from this rapidshare url on this xda forumn page

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...961&page=20

Hth someone who cannt get r8 to work.

Guest spachal

BTW, is it possible to CREATE ad-hoc network, not only connect to existing one? All my tether apps in iPhone2G are trying to connect to some created network (pdanet etc.), that's why I need it. Thanks for help! :]

• 1 month later...
Guest ThomasAstor

Is there a way to connect a Vega with a Nokia 5800 using Joikuspot?

My vega sees Joikuspot but then get a "?" on connection and then scans again.

I am not running the ROM 8 as I cannot get around to install it on my Mac.

Thanks