CM7 on N1

Guest KaCeX

Guest das_spektakel

Well, there's a big thread about the N1 - CM7 nightly builds (more than 13000 replies -> TGIF so you're able to dig through all of them ;) ) at XDA and I won't post the link here in respect to Paul's work for modaco.

Since nightly builds are hardly tested, there can always be issues. I guess there is only one way to see if it is stable.... One recommendation: Make a nandroid backup and give it a try with a deadline, e.g. sunday evening... restoring a backup is soooo easy in those days....

best,

das_spektakel

p.s. Currently downloading build 31, let's see how it feels....

Edited by das_spektakel

I try it, but is not like Paul's ROM in terms of being stable. I try it because of the annoying update to 2.2.2. Solution; I change to the unofficial Gingerbread 2.3.1 Nexus One ROM and until now everything is great.

The nightly builds are... built nightly. They are not meant to be stable, new add-on and fixes are incorporated into the rom every night, but the new stuff added could break the working stuff one way or another. The nightly build threads on xda are long because people keep reporting what's going on with the latest builds frequently, and it's that kind of interaction and feedback that make nightly builds possible. If you want stable CM room, use the RC builds. No idea when we will see the first CM7 RC though.

Guest stevenz

They're a bit hit & miss. They generally seem to be pretty stable but there's some major problems with the actual phone part of things. There's a workaround (the "dewonkificator") but it's not ideal.

Even the last CM 6.x build had a few issues, it'd be nice if they'd actually run a feature freeze and fix bugs rather than adding in lots of relatively useless features (DSP Manager, Theme manager etc).

I'm contemplating going back to the last MCR firmware and just updating the kernel, I just want the phone to be reliable and have the "trackball wake" functionality.

Guest Psicotix
I'm wondering if those nightly builds are stable enough? Has anyone tried those yet?

stevenz above covers most of the major stuff. I've been using the Nightly builds since they were made public, but the mic/call issue is pretty nasty - dewonkificator from XDA has been very helpful. Apps like Skype, Voice Search and Phone can crash the phone quite badly without it. No 720 video either for a while. Also, as Paul has mentioned, the battery indicator is inaccurate in 2.3 (I use https://market.android.com/details?id=at.gru.android.batstat - batstat battery widget)

What I like about CM is that other errors I encounter are usually fixed within a few builds. Also think that I might have been conditioned to have low views on stability after using nightlies for half a year. My use usually involves trying to get to a decent build, not update for a few days, but check the forum thread regularly for any resolutions/changes.

But: I've not had any random rebooting yet, I love the space optimizations and it works well for me.

Guest The-Nazgul

I switched to Cm7 34 and its running fine and really smooth. It seems quite stable and I am happy about my decision to move from mcr to Cm7. 2.3.2 looks so much cooler :P

I'm reporting my experience so far now.

I was on CM6.1.1 and bought ROM Manager to ease up the process on migrating from CM6 to CM7.

I tried to install CM7 31 but chose not to install Gapps... big mistake... So, had to restore CM6 backup.

Then I downloaded CM 7 32 on Saturday, I chose not to wipe cache or data btw.

Has been great so far but these issues bothered me:

- Got Laggy screen transitions (FYI I have ADW Launcher EX installed), had to reboot. Openning too many apps got screen laggy as well, so trying to avoid that.

- A few widgets went missing:

*Music

*Shortcuts to some games, had to reinstall them

*Fancy Widget gone missing (*today* 4 days in this one went missing WTF)

- As mentioned by Psicotix, battery accuracy its way off, *thnx for the suggestion on the widget BTW*

The good stuff:

- Gingerbread goodies (*yay*)

- Streamlined CyanogenMod Settings (At least those seem to be less cluttered and all over, or the comment below the settings its far more helpful)

- Theme chooser (still not that great, but we'll see, has potential but I've not used that a lot, doesnt let save your own theme anyway)

- No random reboots here either

This is so far what I've seen important to report, CM6.1.1 to CM7 transition was not painful at all, except for a few reinstalls (for certain apps) no big issues with this release. I'm planning on updating every saturday to see if things have improved.

Guest Scott Ricketts

Running 38 and it's very smooth with ADW EX. Also got EDW Notifications and it's nice. Tho I did notice that by default it doesn't sync GMail, you have to go into your Google Account and set that manually. After I did that, all's been well.

CM 7.0 RC1 released.

Just flashed it and I think I'm gonna have to make a wipe because has some stuff changed quite a bit.

I'll have to backup data, be back soon with more details.

Guest airchie

I just installed RC1 on my N1 and it seems great so far.

Not a fan of the appearance of the quick toggle buttons on the notification pull-down.

Also, can't get my work's WEP network (I know its insecure but not my call) to connect which connected fine before.

Quite annoying since I can't resync my Spotify playlists at work.

Gonna go look for somewhere I can give feedback, see if anyone else has the same issues...

Guest Pinko_Commie

I've been trying it for the last 24 hours.

Seems pretty stable, but with some minor niggles.

The inbuilt VOIP client isn't really worth a wank though. Lacks proper authentication options so you cannot make call son most commercial SIP systems.

Not a fan of the appearance of the quick toggle buttons on the notification pull-down.

Yes I'd rather have the previous cyan colored theme with gingerbread, than this greenish, blackish, icons...

Reporting that I had some reboots that forced me to pull my battery, has anyone had the problem that if you receive a call while charging the phone gets laggy or hangs when you answer?

I leave mine on the dock and I have received calls, the phone hangs and I have to pull the battery to get it working again...

I havent wiped yet, so probably is that... I dont have titanium backup yet so I dont have a way to backups my data for my apps to stay the same :D

Guest airchie

I've had the laggy issues when answering calls.

I get it any time I get a call, not just when charging.

You can hear the caller but they can't hear you and you cannot press mute, speaker, hold etc.

After about 20 secs it comes back but obviously not much use since the caller has hung up.

Found that it can be laggy when unlocking also.

Generally I'm finding these issues make it unusable and I'm gonna revert until RC2.

Is there a modaco gingerbread ROM?? :huh: