09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Tried loading r8 onto 1.09, but it just disables wifi. Tried several times but no use. Would revert to 1.08 but can't download it anywhere. Do I just wait for Paul to post a compatible version? Where can I download v1.08? Thanks in advance.

Guest viking777uk
Tried loading r8 onto 1.09, but it just disables wifi. Tried several times but no use. Would revert to 1.08 but can't download it anywhere. Do I just wait for Paul to post a compatible version? Where can I download v1.08? Thanks in advance.

Try R8A. Works perfect for me.

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...latest-busybox/

Guest Bradmax57
Thanks for responding.

I initially connected the Vega to a PC running Vista (for the initiation of the memory card and to allow transfer of files via the USB lead), but I also have Windows 7 netbook if that helps.

Sorry for late reply, reason I asked was I was having great difficulty using win7 so fired up an old xp machine to install the usb drivers and flash the rom worked almost immediately doing it that way

Guest karmasurge

this just dont work on my laptop, dont get me wrong im as thick as two short planks but even i can follow a youtube video, when the little black screen comes up it says about being out of date and somthing about killing it, id love to kill t but i cant affort it, can anyone help wth advice that will work, ta mark

I just tried both versions, small and large icons. It starts to reboot, I get the green figure and the box with the arrow coming out of the top and then nothing. I've been waiting about 5 mins. If I then just restart, there is no record of anything having been installed. Any more thoughts?

I copied the file to the Vega after downloading from my PC, and installed via Settings->Software tool -> Software update.

Guest TVBlock

I have flashed the latest ROM from kitchen to my POV Mobii Tegra and is work just great.

What a great improvement to the original firmware.

Should the clockworks orange mod work after installing this ROM? Or should I apply that mod separately?

I see the app to reboot in recovery mode but when I open it it just reboots in normal mode.

Guest Crazy dave

HELP!!!! Okay, so mine just isn't for happening, I get as far as the win batch file with debug enabled, however the cmd line just states that I need to connect my device, even tho it is connected.... Any help/ideas.... This file does look awesome though.... :huh:

P.S, I just registered to download the full baked version, so any help would be much appreciated, cheers

Edited by Crazy dave

Guest Bradmax57
HELP!!!! Okay, so mine just isn't for happening, I get as far as the win batch file with debug enabled, however the cmd line just states that I need to connect my device, even tho it is connected.... Any help/ideas.... This file does look awesome though.... :huh:

P.S, I just registered to download the full baked version, so any help would be much appreciated, cheers

Did you install the usb drivers?

Guest franklyspeaking

hi I have just bought the advent vega and download the r8-vega-update-modacocustomrom-unsigned.zip.crdownload. However,when I try to unzip under windows7 it says that the zip file format is not recognised and asks if i want to recover. Is this normal? Nb had the same problem with r4-vega-recovery.zip

Guest Nemes1s
hi I have just bought the advent vega and download the r8-vega-update-modacocustomrom-unsigned.zip.crdownload. However,when I try to unzip under windows7 it says that the zip file format is not recognised and asks if i want to recover. Is this normal? Nb had the same problem with r4-vega-recovery.zip

Sounds to me like your archive program is having problems rather than the zip files themselves. Which archive program are you using?

Guest franklyspeaking
Sounds to me like your archive program is having problems rather than the zip files themselves. Which archive program are you using?

Hi found the problem....

Google chrome wasn't downloading the files correctly. Tried again from IE andit worked :huh:

Have now installed r8 and looking good. Initially,had some fun and games with the USB driver,until I found in one of the other posts, the details about upgrading the android bridge usb driver- there are a number of parts! Think it would be good to have a summary page of all the tips and tricks for newbies

Thanks

Guest lecki98
Sorry for late reply, reason I asked was I was having great difficulty using win7 so fired up an old xp machine to install the usb drivers and flash the rom worked almost immediately doing it that way

Ok appreciate your help. I guess I would have more chance of success using my Vista PC instead of my Windows 7 Netbook.

As per my original post, where do I find more meaning regarding the USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download' and what is meant by use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required?

I note franklyspeaking had issues with this aspect and I quote - "Initially,had some fun and games with the USB driver,until I found in one of the other posts, the details about upgrading the android bridge usb driver- there are a number of parts! Ihink it would be good to have a summary page of all the tips and tricks for newbies"

Also, someone also had issues with R8 disabling wifi and my Vega is on version 1.09.

I appreciate this must all be straightforward for some but I don't want to brick my vega half way through the operation so some more detail on upgrading using the kitchen ROM (in respect of the above issues) would be really helpful. :huh:

Guest Michael74
Here is one..... I have looked around but can't see an answer.....

I was on the pre xmas factory no flash release, put r7 on, all fine.

New factory release came out with flash, put that on as a clean install and as r8 was now out put r8 on

Flash wouldn't work....... So reinstalled the release from Advent and since then everytime I add r8 it wont get past the Advent boot screen, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Edit, forgot to say, I have reinstalled factory s/w from advent, and it works but still throws a wobbler when I try to put r8 on

I failed to follow the age old IT advice, switch it off, download the s/w and try again, and its worked LOL

Guest Crazy dave
Did you install the usb drivers?

Yeah, I idi, but nothing happens which is s***. I just wanna use full android on it.... :huh:

Yeah, I idi, but nothing happens which is s***. I just wanna use full android on it.... :huh:

Sounds like ADB is not seeing the device. If you're sure the drivers have installed correctly have you ticked the <USB debugging> box in the Application Settings?

Also, you need to run the batch file from the command prompt and make sure you're either in that directory or have included that directory in your Windows PATH variables.

Guest Crazy dave
Sounds like ADB is not seeing the device. If you're sure the drivers have installed correctly have you ticked the <USB debugging> box in the Application Settings?

Also, you need to run the batch file from the command prompt and make sure you're either in that directory or have included that directory in your Windows PATH variables.

.... Found the problem... I'm using win7 which won't install the older version of the usb flash driver required. If you try to manually use it from the 'have disk' menu it wont install correctly and install as a disk drive (weird). So i've went to a win xpo system ,and it worked just beautifully. USB installed, batch file installed, What a great difference.

Paul.... Genius!!!! Cheers, it's awesome, and thanks for your help and input Brad. Appreciated!

Guest banyaman

Spent far far too long trying to download and install this rom - to no avail - this machine is going back to currys at the weekend - and will end up buying something a little bit more user friendly with all the bits and bobs already pre-loaded and working. Shame really it held out such promise,

Spent far far too long trying to download and install this rom - to no avail - this machine is going back to currys at the weekend - and will end up buying something a little bit more user friendly with all the bits and bobs already pre-loaded and working. Shame really it held out such promise,

Before giving up look at the video guides on youtube see link

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...7/#entry1534825

it may be for older version rom but principals are the same

actually seeing the steps being done definitely helps

Edited by Dav0

Guest Bradmax57
.... Found the problem... I'm using win7 which won't install the older version of the usb flash driver required. If you try to manually use it from the 'have disk' menu it wont install correctly and install as a disk drive (weird). So i've went to a win xpo system ,and it worked just beautifully. USB installed, batch file installed, What a great difference.

Paul.... Genius!!!! Cheers, it's awesome, and thanks for your help and input Brad. Appreciated!

That was the same problem as I had, managed first time (ok second time :huh: ) to flash R8 using a win xp system, for future flashes etc i installed xp mode on win7 pro and managed to install the usb drivers no problem should save a bit of headache next time round :)

Guest Bradmax57

Can I downgrade to 1.08 from 1.09? Would this work better with the usb switcher mode? Ive had it corrupt my os twice now :huh:

Guest Dennis Elbow

Hi all, I've downloaded / unzipped R8 + unzipped the Driver within. I'm using Vista, is there a specific post / link I can now follow, as I'm struggling to find / install the Driver. Cheers for helping...

Guest spacecadetuk
Hi all, I've downloaded / unzipped R8 + unzipped the Driver within. I'm using Vista, is there a specific post / link I can now follow, as I'm struggling to find / install the Driver. Cheers for helping...

this is quite a good guide, just take your time and follow it closely it's not to difficult :huh:

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...p-update-guide/

also

i know this is for windows 7 and you have vista but there aren't that many differences and may help

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...4/#entry1527188

if your having driver issues this is the bit you really need

01. Optional: Backup personal data and settings to the SD card using built in backup or third party software like Titanium Backup (Pro).

02. Make sure the device is turned on and you have enough battery power left.

03. Download and unzip MCR Add-On to a folder on your PC. Make sure the USB drivers inside the subfolder "usbdriver" are unzipped too!

04. On the device go to Settings > Applications > Development and turn on USB Debugging.

05. Connect the device to the PC with the USB connection cable.

06. On the PC go to 'Device manager', right click the Nvidia Harmony device and choose to update the device driver

07. Browse the PC for the unzipped drivers and ignore all warnings about driver verification (Install anyway)

08. Done correctly it will show the device with Android Developer Bridge (ADB) enabled

also check out youtube a few helpful videos on there

hope thats some help

Edited by spacecadetuk

Guest vampire168

Hi, I just wanna give my input.

If you plugged in the pc (win7) first time in normal mode (on your vega) it will auto install the default driver as mass storage, then after that if you plug in your vega in debugg mode win7 still see it as mass storage.

What I did was keep an eye on which mass device was added once you plug in the vega, manually uninstall the driver and installed the driver from paul (make sure your vega is on debug mode). After that your ready to run the .bat file :huh:

Hope this helps someone.