09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Rishi Shah

•If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)

Exactly which windows device driver do i need to change as i could not find anything under USB that looked like a Vega which i should update?

Guest simonta
•If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)

Exactly which windows device driver do i need to change as i could not find anything under USB that looked like a Vega which i should update?

Try one of the guides on this forum. They will guide you :D

Guest Rishi Shah
Try one of the guides on this forum. They will guide you :D

thanks... all done correctly now and flashed using the command line option.

All working now and have access to my apps but have no option to download Flash from the Market Place and do not have any Sound for Media. Sound for notification is present. I have checked the media volume setting and it is turned up to 100%. Also the hardware volume keys cannot control the media volume. Any ideas about Flash and Media Volume?

Guest nigelphilip
Changelog

r8 09/Feb

• Reoptimised - smaller, faster
  • Updated Google Maps
  • Now includes 'Link2SD' by bakpinar for A2SD functionality! Tested and working, use ClockworkMod recovery to partition SD if required. Do NOT move USB mode switcher to SD though!
    • Complete rebuild based on new base, improved performance pack, additional components and more!
      • Updated all Google components
      • Migrated touch optimisations from small bar tweak to regular size bar configuration
      • Updated Adobe Flash
      • Added 'terminfo' configuration to boot image (installed via USB Mode app), apps like 'nano' should now be usable
      • Compressed some components with the MCR build system to reduce 'out of memory' problems on install (full optimisation to follow in MCR r7)
      • Added Recovery reboot utility to the kitchen
      • Added USB Mode switch utility to the kitchen
      • Deleted duplicate instance of busybox (saves nearly 2MB)
      • Added distinct multitouch permissions file for Google Maps rotation support
      • Other minor tweaks and fixes
        • Updated to 1.06.5 release base
        • Updated all Google components
        • Now including a 'small bar' prebake option
        • Re-added Flash (which now auto-installs at the start of the add-on install process)
          • Add-On can now be flashed either via the command line or using ClockworkMod recovery
          • Skype and Wallpaper fixes now included
          • Voice Search issue now resolved
          • Device about screen now displays add-on version
            • Updated Performance Pack to fix recovery reboot issue

28/Nov 15:50

[*]Added Skype fix to the kitchen

[*]Updated Wallpaper fix

26/Nov 16:00

[*]Added Wallpaper fix to the kitchen

26/Nov

[*]Added Bluetooth Fix, minor script updates

25/Nov 13:30

[*]Added test performance pack to the kitchen

25/Nov

[*]Initial Release

I know I'm going to make myself sound stupid but I'm having trouble installing the USB driver on Windows. I open Device manger, click on the Advent Vega,,,,,,"Have disk" but then can't find the USB driver in the package that I've downloaded. Please help!!!!!!

Guest simonta
I know I'm going to make myself sound stupid but I'm having trouble installing the USB driver on Windows. I open Device manger, click on the Advent Vega,,,,,,"Have disk" but then can't find the USB driver in the package that I've downloaded. Please help!!!!!!

There's a folder in the unzipped ROM called usbdriver. There's a ZIP inside there, unzip it.

Guest Eruann

hi to all,

first of all i want to apologie for my english, isn't my born language =P.

anyways, after a couple of try's i have succefully installed the r8 modded rom in my POV mobii tegra. but i have a thing.. my tablet has the 3g port for a sim card. and after flashing the new rom i cant find any options for activate the 3g modem and use to connect to internet (i even wish to do a phone call with it)

aniways, does anyone know a workarround for this?

thank you for your advices, and excellent work to paul, who makes this excelent rom

Guest simonta
hi to all,

first of all i want to apologie for my english, isn't my born language =P.

anyways, after a couple of try's i have succefully installed the r8 modded rom in my POV mobii tegra. but i have a thing.. my tablet has the 3g port for a sim card. and after flashing the new rom i cant find any options for activate the 3g modem and use to connect to internet (i even wish to do a phone call with it)

aniways, does anyone know a workarround for this?

thank you for your advices, and excellent work to paul, who makes this excelent rom

It's strange but....

Settings->Accounts->Add Account->Gmail then press menu and select Wireless Settings.

Good luck

Guest FrownBreaker

Ok gave up trying to install clockwork mod on my new Vega so flashed it to the latest stock rom (1.09 vega final) and ran the custom rom installer (checked the md5) It runs and reboots the vega but then the Vega get stuck in a endless cycle of reboot, android image (boot), etc... I looked at the output of the installer and saw the files being copy until some error is hit! I've formated the SD card and re-flashed to stock 1.09 twice now...Log of third re-flash attached.

So any ideas welcome!

The install start with

D:\r8-vega-update-modacocustomrom-unsigned>install-windows.bat

Waiting for device... ensure 'USB Debugging' is enabled in Settings-Applications

-Development and connect to PC...

Mounting and emptying system partition...

remount succeeded

1175 KB/s (768320 bytes in 0.638s)

Waiting for device...

Windows flashing fix phase 1...

831 KB/s (91060 bytes in 0.107s)

1 file(s) moved.

Copying new files...

push: files/data/app/com.modaco.vegausbmode.apk -> /data/app/com.modaco.vegausbmode.apk

push: files/system/bin/nvmm_reference.axf -> /system/bin/nvmm_reference.axf

push: files/system/bin/nvmm_mpeg4dec.axf -> /system/bin/nvmm_mpeg4dec.axf

failed to copy 'files/system/bin/nvmm_mpeg4dec.axf' to '/system/bin/nvmm_mpeg4dec.axf': No space left on device

Creating Symlinks...

Setting permissions...

Windows flashing fix phase 2...

1 file(s) moved.

Flashing boot image...

Done, rebooting...

stock109.txt

Edited by FrownBreaker

Guest blackspider

I tried updating my new vega tablet with the ROM, and followed the instructions - I thought.

Clearly something has gone wrong because it doesn't seem to have taken, I did manage to get the thing to go back to the old firmware, but I had the same problem that smellycox had of it just sitting there saying deamon had been started successfully and nothing else happening.

Edited by blackspider

Guest Eruann
It's strange but....

Settings->Accounts->Add Account->Gmail then press menu and select Wireless Settings.

Good luck

thank you simonta, i tried the options but when i configure the "apn point names" i can save any apn at all, i complete all the data, but when i hit save button notthing happens >.<

try a few gsm chips, and same result.. if anyone has resolved this, please let me know

thank you

Hi, I have installed everything fine no problems.

Only thing I have, and I have looked everywhere about this, is the Use My Location feature on wifi. Anything that requires location doesn't work, maps, weather etc and just says your location is temporarily unavailable. Can anybody tell me is there a fix or is it a problem and should I try installing rom again?

I have the feature working fine on my other android tablet no problem on wifi

I don't really want to be using something that I have to set my location, ie when I go somewhere else

Edited by I_T

Guest Nemes1s
Hi, I have installed everything fine no problems.

Only thing I have, and I have looked everywhere about this, is the Use My Location feature on wifi. Anything that requires location doesn't work, maps, weather etc and just says your location is temporarily unavailable. Can anybody tell me is there a fix or is it a problem and should I try installing rom again?

I have the feature working fine on my other android tablet no problem on wifi

I ended up using MyFakeLocation from the market. These seems to allow most location based apps to work fine.

Guest BlackRabbit83
Ok gave up trying to install clockwork mod on my new Vega so flashed it to the latest stock rom (1.09 vega final) and ran the custom rom installer (checked the md5) It runs and reboots the vega but then the Vega get stuck in a endless cycle of reboot, android image (boot), etc... I looked at the output of the installer and saw the files being copy until some error is hit! I've formated the SD card and re-flashed to stock 1.09 twice now...Log of third re-flash attached.

So any ideas welcome!

I have the same problem. Mine stopped when trying to push some bluetooth-related file, now the tablet (POV Mobii) won't boot (it hangs on the screen with the Android robot).

I'll reflash to the Advent firmware and try installing r8 again, but hints to what I'm/we are doing wrong are much appreciated.

EDIT: it seems it succeeded this time. Only thing I changed to my 'procedure' was rebooting the device after I flashed it to the Advent Vega firmware. Maybe you can try this as well, FrownBreaker?

Edited by BlackRabbit83

Guest smellycox

am i being a bit of a numpty here but i am following instructions as below and when i get to the black command/prompt box it comes up with 'daemon started successfully' and just seems to hang there? Should it take 2 hours to download? Does my Vega need to be connected to mains supply? USB debugging is on, files seem to be extracting ok.........bit of a mystery to me?

Guest chippywales

What am I doing wrong? I can't even download the installation file!

When I click on the "Download" link included in the original post, it takes me to the "enter text..." verification test - what am I supposed to enter?! Presumably the text on the screen (which doesn't work), or is there something else?

This could be a long process....

Guest pompey007

Hi, have read through the guides but not sure I am in the right place. Please redirect if necessary!

Have set USB debugging, downloaded the R8 download to PC and unzipped. Connected vega tablet to PC. Do I then just run the install windows batch file on my pc?

Thanks

Guest ssheikh

Thank you so much for this, finding this forum has saved my life, i just got this tablet from pc world for my nephew. Now his tablet is almost as good as my xoom lol :)

Thanks

Guest pompey007
Hi, have read through the guides but not sure I am in the right place. Please redirect if necessary!

Have set USB debugging, downloaded the R8 download to PC and unzipped. Connected vega tablet to PC. Do I then just run the install windows batch file on my pc?

Thanks

Edited by pompey007

Guest pompey007

All sorted, just needed to reboot pc. Thanks for the guides. They are very useful just need to concentrate re drivers etc. Looking forward to using Android Marketplace and all the apps!!

Guest Drizmod

great work!

how do you get videos to work? I cant see any stock video players o this. What player is recomended?

Edit - nevermind, i found it in the Gallery

Edited by Drizmod

Guest greaseweasel

Just want to say a huge thanks guys - got a Vega on Thursday and being initially unimpressed with the lack of google support etc, found this site and followed the instructions on the OP.

Worked no problem at all and five minutes later had a brilliant new tablet :)

If anyones interested I installed through Windows 7 with no problems at all - just followed the instructions to the letter and nothing went wrong.

Guest shane_uk

Sorry to ask this my missus just bought a vega is it safe to install with win7 64bit and her version is 1.9 . Is it safe to keep it at 1.9 or should i downgrade to 1.8

Many Thanks

Guest beegee1962
Sorry to ask this my missus just bought a vega is it safe to install with win7 64bit and her version is 1.9 . Is it safe to keep it at 1.9 or should i downgrade to 1.8

Many Thanks

1.9 is fine and it includes the Adobe flashplayer.

If you need Google apps and market, then you can install it using [Rom Add-On] Clean & Stable Add-On For All Stock Firmware V3[24/03/11][Full Market].

If you need your USB as host (like a PC), then you need either to change the kernel (e.g. corvusKernel or BuzzVega) or try one of the custom ROMs around here.