vpn

Guest dbaseii

Guest dbaseii

Hi all

I'm sure this topic is somewhere but i cannot find a definitive answer.

How can I get vpn to work?. If the answer is to use openvpn can some direct me to instructions on how to configure

Thanks

Ps now using r7

Hi all

I'm sure this topic is somewhere but i cannot find a definitive answer.

How can I get vpn to work?. If the answer is to use openvpn can some direct me to instructions on how to configure

Thanks

Ps now using r7

I would suggest using OpenVPN as you stated. But offcourse you have to connect to an OpenVPN server with the Vega. From the market you can download OpenVPN (just search for it). What i found is that there are two packages. One is to install the OpenVPN libraries and the other is the interface to configure OpenVPN. The confiuration of OpenVPN depends on the configuration of the OpenVPN server you want to connect to.

To configure you will need the server hostname or IP adress and port to connect to. You also need a certificate to connect to the openvpn server. This certificate is created at the server side (i do not know if this also works with userid/password, my implmentation does not).

Hope this helps a bit

Guest dbaseii
I would suggest using OpenVPN as you stated. But offcourse you have to connect to an OpenVPN server with the Vega. From the market you can download OpenVPN (just search for it). What i found is that there are two packages. One is to install the OpenVPN libraries and the other is the interface to configure OpenVPN. The confiuration of OpenVPN depends on the configuration of the OpenVPN server you want to connect to.

To configure you will need the server hostname or IP adress and port to connect to. You also need a certificate to connect to the openvpn server. This certificate is created at the server side (i do not know if this also works with userid/password, my implmentation does not).

Hope this helps a bit

Will give this a go

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elvch01

+1 for openVPN. I have had an openVPN server running for a few years now and once the R8 ROM was released, I was quickly able to install & configure openVPN on my vega.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest harlechguy
+1 for openVPN. I have had an openVPN server running for a few years now and once the R8 ROM was released, I was quickly able to install & configure openVPN on my vega.

Has anybody had any more joy with this? I use the vpn on my htc desire to connect to work - a series of windows servers. Would be great to do this with the vega - dont really want to install an openvpn server.

Am guessing this would make the vega much more of a business compatable tool rather than a consumer gadget (albeit a rather good one)

Guest dragon2611
Has anybody had any more joy with this? I use the vpn on my htc desire to connect to work - a series of windows servers. Would be great to do this with the vega - dont really want to install an openvpn server.

Am guessing this would make the vega much more of a business compatable tool rather than a consumer gadget (albeit a rather good one)

It's possible to create a PPTP or LT2P/IPSEC connection in the vega connection settings.

Although not sure if it works as PPTP wouldn't connect for me but I think it's because of the firewall on my "guest" wlan blocking GRE.

I've not tried PPTP since adding my Vega to the main Wlan.

Guest harlechguy
It's possible to create a PPTP or LT2P/IPSEC connection in the vega connection settings.

Although not sure if it works as PPTP wouldn't connect for me but I think it's because of the firewall on my "guest" wlan blocking GRE.

I've not tried PPTP since adding my Vega to the main Wlan.

Thanks dragon, unfortunately its the pptp that work uses - std windows vpn. It works great on my htc desire but not at all on the vega. Guess that rules out the fiewall side of things.

Tried copying the apk from the htc but no joy

Guest dragon2611

I've just tried it from another network where I know PPTP should work and It doesn't work for me either, so I guess somethings broken on the Vega side.

EDIT:

Log from the VPN concentrator (pfSense 2.0 Beta5)

Newest entry is at the top and I've confirmed I can connect to it from a windows 7 laptop so i know PPTP is working ok on the pfSense box.

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: state change Closing --> Initial

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: LayerFinish

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: Down event

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] error writing len 8 frame to bypass: Network is down

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: SendTerminateReq #2

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: state change Req-Sent --> Closing

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: Close event

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] link: DOWN event

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] PPTP call terminated

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: pptp1-0: killing channel

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: pptp1: killing connection with <My IP> 44024

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: pptp1: ctrl connection closed by peer

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: ENDPOINTDISC [802.1] 5a 4f f2 88 a7 7f

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: MP SHORTSEQ

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: MP MRRU 1600

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFTv2

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: MAGICNUM 0018fc17

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: MRU 1500

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: PROTOCOMP

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: ACFCOMP

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: SendConfigReq #1

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: state change Starting --> Req-Sent

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: Up event

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] link: origination is remote

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] link: UP event

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] PPTP: attaching to peer's outgoing call

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: LayerStart

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: state change Initial --> Starting

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] LCP: Open event

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] link: OPEN event

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] opening link "pt1"...

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: [pt1] Accepting PPTP connection

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: pptp1: attached to connection with <My IP> 44024

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: PPTP: Incoming control connection from <My IP> 44024 to <Vpn server IP> 1723

Feb 27 16:20:09	pptps: last message repeated 4 times

Edited by dragon2611

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nicenswift

Did anyone manage to get at VPN PPTP connection to work to a Windows 2003/2008 server or is it a no go.

Shame really as I dont want to give any credit to the Ipad but it looks like this is the only decent tablet that can do this.

Cant believe something as simple as VPN does not seem to work.

:D dissapointed

• 4 months later...
Guest harlechguy

Hi, has anyone seen an answer to this - have been looking for months

tried many kernels, stock, buzz, corvus - none seem to solve this

have trudged t'internet and still no joy :-)

Guest MartzWeb

same problem here ..... no issue connecting to work vpn on any other device ... just the vega unfortunately :( ... which is a total pity because i've been playing with the 2x rdp client and it works very nicely.....

Guest HypoTurtle

Just for clarity, I've found connecting with OpenVpn to be patchy and connecting to some pptp vpn networks to work well with vpnconnection0.99 but with the latest 3.2 ROM the native VPN settings (pptp at least) work well. I don't recall them working on other ROM but I didn't try extensively.