My Tracks

Guest PaulOBrien

mytracks1.pngmytracks2.png

Welcome to 'Paul's Featured Apps', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today's app is...

My Tracks

What they say

My Tracks records your GPS tracks and shows live statistics such as time, speed, distance, and elevation – while hiking, cycling, running or participating in other outdoor activities. Once recorded, you can share your tracks, upload them to Google Spreadsheets, visualize them on Google My Maps and share with friends.

To display pace[min/km] instead of speed[km/hr] select:
Settings>Display>Display Speed

To hear announcements select:
Settings>Recording>Announcment Frequency

What we say

A great app for recording your GPS tracks and being from Google themselves, it has great connectivity with Google Docs / Maps! It's not as mega-featured as some of the alternative sports tracker apps, but in some ways it's simplicity is it's beauty. It does what it says on the tin, and well.

Permissions

coarse (network-based) location, fine (GPS) location / Network communication / full Internet access / discover known accounts / manage the accounts list / use the authentication credentials of an account / view configured accounts / Google Maps / Google Spreadsheets / Google Docs / Phone calls / read phone /s tate and identity / automatically start at boot / prevent phone from sleeping / com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES

Download

View at AppBrain or the Android Market website.

Direct Market Link (for on device)

View on Android Market

QRcode

To use, install 'Barcode Scanner' from the Android Market.

mytracks.qrcode.png

Price

FREE

Market star rating at time of writing

4.56 (31600 ratings)

Version at time of writing

Similar / Alternative apps

The myriad of sports trackers are also worth checking out, such as CardioTrainer, RunKeeper and Endomondo.

Suggested improvements for the next version

n/a

Have your say

Fan of My Tracks? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :P

I'm a big fan of MyTracks - been using it for about a year. I use it when out walking to track how far I've walked, and also when out taking photos. I then export the GPX file of my track and use it with software on my PC (geosetter) to geotag my photos.

Unfortunately, the latest MyTracks update has removed a key feature for me - the ability to upload your track to MyMaps so you can view it in Google Maps on the web. Hopefully it's an oversight, and will be re-introduced in a new version soon.