[maybe solved] Touchscreen does not react after flashing an new ROM

Guest Seb801

Guest sambartle

I'm not making any kind of assumptions here.. but it seems anyone who has problems has flashed something other than the Modaco ROM at some point..

Has anyone had this problem after getting the phone new and installing only the modaco ROM? (this is what ive been doing)

Just wondering if theres something newer in some of the custom roms that causes problems with some devices.. might help narrow it down.

Edited by sambartle

Guest sambartle

Also this seems an obvious test that no one has tried..

Connect the phone with USB.

Run adb shell on the pc

In the shell run: cat /dev/input/event0

now wake the phone and press the touchscreen and move around a bit..

You should see loads of random stuff (random symbols) flash across the terminal on the pc when touching it.. and it should stop doing so when you stop moving or touching it.

If theres a response but the screen doesnt respond then its a configuration issue with the calibration.. theres no response at all.. then thats a bigger problem.

Oh and if you get an error about /dev/input/event0 not existing.. then thats a good indication of a problem.

Also try: ls -l /dev/input as well as that will give some useful information.

Edited by sambartle

I've installed CM7 RC4 and /dev/input/input0 does not exist, but /dev/input/event0. I have a Blade which does not have the touchscreen issues (bought last year) also running CM7 RC4 and /dev/input/event0 shows the touchscreen input. My newer Blade (bought on 31.3.) has the touchscreen issues and after a reboot the touchscreen does not work and /dev/input/event0 does not show any input when moving around.

Update:

After pulling the battery, the touchscreen works and /dev/input/event0 shows the input when moving around.

2. Update:

logcat shows this (even when touchscreen is working):

I/EventHub(  190): New keyboard: device->id=0x10000 devname='7k_handset' propName='hw.keyboards.65536.devname' keylayout='/system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl'

I/EventHub(  190): New device: path=/dev/input/event4 name=7k_handset id=0x10000 (of 0x1) index=1 fd=118 classes=0x81

I/EventHub(  190): New keyboard: device->id=0x30001 devname='blade_keypad' propName='hw.keyboards.196609.devname' keylayout='/system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl'

I/EventHub(  190): New device: path=/dev/input/event1 name=blade_keypad id=0x30001 (of 0x2) index=2 fd=120 classes=0x1

I/EventHub(  190): New device: path=/dev/input/event0 name=synaptics-rmi-touchscreen id=0x10002 (of 0x3) index=3 fd=121 classes=0x14

I/InputManager-Callbacks(  190): No input device calibration properties found for device synaptics-rmi-touchscreen.

I/InputReader(  190): Device added: id=0x10002, name=synaptics-rmi-touchscreen, sources=00001002

I/InputReader(  190): Device added: id=0x30001, name=blade_keypad, sources=00000101

I/InputReader(  190): Device added: id=0x0, name=7k_handset, sources=80000101

I/InputManager-Callbacks(  190): No input device calibration properties found for device blade_keypad.

I/InputManager-Callbacks(  190): No input device calibration properties found for device 7k_handset.

I/BluetoothProfileState(  190): Message:Entering Stable State

I/BluetoothProfileState(  190): Message:Entering Stable State

Edited by ma_

Guest fredl99

This is a follow-up to my own posting #81:

Finally I succeeded... :D

Here's what I did:

Performed all of the three wipes in CWR right after installing SS RLS3. (Did that also during the previous attempts, according to the instructions. But before or/and after installing ROMs, there was no permanent success). So this time I wiped them all two times in a row. Then I kept pushing Vol+ during boot-up. I don't know which one of these actions was the important one, but after all RLS3 worked even after power-off/on.

So I tried RLS4b. No wiping this time since it's the same kind of ROM. Voila! Touchscreen was alive, which was the first surprise. And it still works after several shutdowns/power-ons, even without pushing Vol+

So my advice for now would be: wipe it all, install, wipe it all two times, hold down Vol+ during the first boot-up. Even if I don't understand it at all by myself B)

Gonna try the same procedure with other ROMs soon...

Guest StevenHarperUK

Someone said that moving to the GEN2 (upgrade GEN1 -> GEN2) Fixes these touchscreen problems.

Its not something I would do lightly (as you cannot go back to GEN1 - and only have 1 Custom ROM)

But can anyone confirm (already done this)???

Guest gwebb
Someone said that moving to the GEN2 (upgrade GEN1 -> GEN2) Fixes these touchscreen problems.

Its not something I would do lightly (as you cannot go back to GEN1 - and only have 1 Custom ROM)

But can anyone confirm (already done this)???

I'm loathe to say yes, but my touchscreen has gone from semi-reliable -- only ever failed at boot, maybe 1 in 8 boots, never failed whilst running -- to ZERO failures so far, and I have been flashing firmware, ROMS and switching SIMs like a madman, so I must have booted my phone 30+ times in the last couple of days, and the touchscreen has worked every time.

I can't really recommend switching yet, but touch wood, it does look hopeful.

Guest sambartle
I've installed CM7 RC4 and /dev/input/input0 does not exist, but /dev/input/event0.

...<snip>...

Yep my bad.. I always do that. It is event0 as you said I've corrected my earlier post.

Guest sambartle

Interesting..

I dont see any messages like this in logcat on my working phone:

I/InputManager-Callbacks( 190): No input device calibration properties found for device synaptics-rmi-touchscreen.

I get no messages from InputManager other than one telling me it has selected swype as the input method..

Did you use the wipe option for touchscreen config in CWM?

Edited by sambartle

Guest AndroThomas

Hello at all, as I stated in another thread:

I have a very similar problem with a gray ZTE device from austrian dealer Hofer.

I bought two devices from the same stack last week and one works perfectly with custom ROMs, the other one doesnt.

On both the firmware is build b02 from provider yesss.

Both have exactly the same chipinfo output. Needless to say that the IMEI is slightly different.

I flashed one first with sdb and fastboot to clockwork 3.0.1.4. This worked, I did a backup and flashed Cyanogen rc4

The touchscreen doesnt react. Did displace the abttery for some hours, rebooted, wiped everything. Still no function.

The Touchscreen is dead from all on and ever was. No possibility to enter a PIN for example.

Neither works a nightly build, or another custom ROM. The restore of the stock ROM brings the Touchscreen back to life.

The other device, I flashed with ROM Manager, to exactly the same clockwork and did a flash to a nightly (35) and it worked, it wors with other nightlies and rc4, too.

Never had the problem.

So I tried to install an old version of clockwork via ROM Manager, back to the same new version (so I had clockwork installed the same way as on the other device).

Still the same problem.

Whatever I do, wipe, no wipe, flash back, install with or without google apps, anyway. One (always the same) device is working with no issues, the other wont until the stock rom is reinstalled.

Touchscreens are from Synaptics, Glass is TRULY, i can provider more in depth information on request. But the thing is, that nothing differs.

It was a slightly different way I first time installed clockwork, and it has another IMEI, of course.

So from my point of view I can say: ITS NOT THE BUILD B02.

Any ideas welcome.

I'm not sure where to post now so I copied it herer, maybe someone can merge the threads...

Can anyone post his info, from a non working Blade?

# cat /proc/touchscreen/ts_information

cat /proc/touchscreen/ts_information

touchscreen module

name : synaptics

i2c address : 0x22

IC type : 2000 series

firmware version : TM1541

module : synaptics + TPK

(This is a info via adb from the working Blade on Cyanogen)

Also interesting would be (also form working here)

# logcat |grep touch

logcat |grep touch

I/InputManager-Callbacks( 175): No input device calibration properties found for device synaptics-rmi-touchscreen.

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=0/0 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=1 layout=34 uiMode=0 seq=1 themeResource=null}

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=0/0 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=1 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=2 themeResource=null}

I/InputManager-Callbacks( 175): No virtual keys found for device synaptics-rmi-touchscreen.

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=232/3 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=1 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=3 themeResource=null}

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=232/3 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=2 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=4 themeResource=null}

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=232/3 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=1 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=5 themeResource=null}

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=232/3 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=2 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=6 themeResource=null}

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=232/3 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=1 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=7 themeResource=null}

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=232/3 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=2 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=8 themeResource=null}

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=232/3 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=1 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=9 themeResource=null}

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=232/3 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=2 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=10 themeResource=null}

I/ActivityManager( 175): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=232/3 loc=de_AT touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=1 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=11 themeResource=null}

Thanks in Advance

Guest fredl99

@AndroThomas:

Have you tried what I suggested in post #105? Wipe, install, wipe again 2 times, hold Vol+ during first boot. Worked for me with SS3+4b.

Would like to know if this works with CM, too.

--

BTW: I wouldn't mind switching to GEN2, if there was an easy way back just for the case. Therefore I rather stick with GEN1 by now.

Guest Revik

Well, as i was thought - problem is back. It was ok during few reboot, but now i'm not able to unlock

touchscreen module

touchscreen module

# logcat |grep touch

I/EventHub( 178): New device: path=/dev/input/event0 name=synaptics-rmi-touchscreen id=0x10002 (of 0x3) index=3 fd=90 classes=0x14

I/InputReader( 178): Device added: id=0x10002, name=synaptics-rmi-touchscreen, sources=00001002

I/InputManager-Callbacks( 178): No input device calibration properties found for device synaptics-rmi-touchscreen.

I/ActivityManager( 178): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=0/0 loc=ru_RU touch=0 keys=0/0/0 nav=0/0 orien=0 layout=0 uiMode=17 seq=2 themeResource=null}

I/ActivityManager( 178): Config changed: { scale=1.0 imsi=0/0 loc=ru_RU touch=3 keys=1/1/2 nav=1/1 orien=1 layout=34 uiMode=17 seq=3 themeResource=null}

Guest Revik

After few reboots it was working, i made one more - not working..

i'm going to try fredl99's advice a bit later

Edited by Revik

Guest fredl99
wipe + flash ss4 + wipe + wipe

Each wipe has to be "wipe cache + wipe user data + wipe dalvik cache". That's 9 wipes in total. Did you do that?

If so, I'm sorry. Then I expect to see the freeze here too someday.

Guest Revik
Each wipe has to be "wipe cache + wipe user data + wipe dalvik cache". That's 9 wipes in total. Did you do that?

If so, I'm sorry. Then I expect to see the freeze here too someday.

I did factory reset twice (which doing wipe data/cache/dalvik-cache)

Countinue of my story:

I've tested some other ROMs (including Modaco r12) - all of them had non working touch.

After that i was trying to flash one of the official ROMs - and got boot loop.. (no clockwork recovery

Then i've flahsed Orange UK stock B10 TPT image. First boot - screen do not work. Battery pool, second boot - ok. 3rd and 20+ reboots - screen do not working..

Now i do not even know what else i can do with it..

it sounds like the old hardware problem that has affected a lot of phones in the past is back again. the reason it works sometimes & not other times is a bad connection, your phone is faulty if the touch screen doesn't work on the original stock rom.

Guest gwebb
I'm loathe to say yes, but my touchscreen has gone from semi-reliable -- only ever failed at boot, maybe 1 in 8 boots, never failed whilst running -- to ZERO failures so far, and I have been flashing firmware, ROMS and switching SIMs like a madman, so I must have booted my phone 30+ times in the last couple of days, and the touchscreen has worked every time.

I can't really recommend switching yet, but touch wood, it does look hopeful.

April 10th now, many more boots, still no problems with the touchscreen. It might be due to Gen 2 firmware, it might be due to Swedish Spring RLS4b, maybe it is the blue sky and the bright sun, and possibly it is pure random good fortune and it will fail next boot. I wish I could say definitively but it does appear to be fixed.

I still wouldn't recommend upgrading until there are more ROMs and more reliability reports but it is looking good.

Guest evgenyo

Same problem. Orange SF upgraded to Modaco Froyo R12 - touchscreen is dead.

Restore to original backup - touchscreen works fine.

Do not beilve it is HW problem as long as orginal ROM works OK.

Guest sambartle
<snip>

Then i've flahsed Orange UK stock B10 TPT image. First boot - screen do not work. Battery pool, second boot - ok. 3rd and 20+ reboots - screen do not working..

Now i do not even know what else i can do with it..

You need to restore *your* NAND backup from Clockwork - not flash the Orange TPT.. that should get it working again (or at a push the nand backup from earlier in this thread from a phone with this issue).. the TPT is probably from a phone that doesn't have this issue and there must be the same problem in it..

I'm almost sure its a software thing.. but no one who could diagnose it has actually had the problem yet!

Edited by sambartle

Guest flshg

Just a thought, could the touchscreen issues have anything to do with the proximity sensor. I'm guessing the touchscreen is temporarily disabled when the proximity sensor is activated, so perhaps there is some change in the calibration or setup of that sensor in some of the later phones?

I have a grey B10, flashed JJ9 using clockwork, no issues so far in about a week of use, several reboots.

Guest Revik
Same problem. Orange SF upgraded to Modaco Froyo R12 - touchscreen is dead.

Restore to original backup - touchscreen works fine.

Do not beilve it is HW problem as long as orginal ROM works OK.

Can you give me you original ROM? I've lost my original by stupid :)