Motorola vs 'open' Android devices

Guest Sam0ht

Ok, so I currently have a T-Mobile Pulse. Slow processor, limited graphics (can't render Angry Birds correctly), tiny internal memory.

BUT I'm free to use it as I like. It was SIM-unlocked as soon as it came out. Not only does that let me use it on Vodafone, but I can get off the plane in HK and pick up a local sim card. Google Maps is super-handy in a foreign country - and it's a much cheaper way of getting online than hotel internet.

Custom ROMs (2.1/2.2) no problem, USB/WiFi tethering, etc.

For all its technical limitations, at least I've never felt that Huawei were trying to stop me using my paid-for phone as I please.

Now, I want a more capable phone, and the Defy has caught my eye as being a worthwhile step up from the Pulse, but not as ridiculous a price as an iPhone. However, Motorola's policy appears to be:

@tdcrooks if you want to do custom roms, then buy elsewhere, we'll continue with our strategy that is working thanks.

( http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-employe...nd-bad-attitude )

I would hate to invest £250 in a phone and feel I was entering battle with a company that was determined to release new firmware that locks me out of my phone, that there was no trustworthy way of getting it SIM-unlocked, etc. Is this a problem with the Defy ? Or are things all fine, and I'm being paranoid ?

Ok, so I currently have a T-Mobile Pulse. Slow processor, limited graphics (can't render Angry Birds correctly), tiny internal memory.

BUT I'm free to use it as I like. It was SIM-unlocked as soon as it came out. Not only does that let me use it on Vodafone, but I can get off the plane in HK and pick up a local sim card. Google Maps is super-handy in a foreign country - and it's a much cheaper way of getting online than hotel internet.

Custom ROMs (2.1/2.2) no problem, USB/WiFi tethering, etc.

For all its technical limitations, at least I've never felt that Huawei were trying to stop me using my paid-for phone as I please.

Now, I want a more capable phone, and the Defy has caught my eye as being a worthwhile step up from the Pulse, but not as ridiculous a price as an iPhone. However, Motorola's policy appears to be:

@tdcrooks if you want to do custom roms, then buy elsewhere, we'll continue with our strategy that is working thanks.

( http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-employe...nd-bad-attitude )

I would hate to invest £250 in a phone and feel I was entering battle with a company that was determined to release new firmware that locks me out of my phone, that there was no trustworthy way of getting it SIM-unlocked, etc. Is this a problem with the Defy ? Or are things all fine, and I'm being paranoid ?

um here is a quick update on that youtube video link

"We apologise for the recent feedback we provided regarding our bootloader policy. The response was not appropriate and did not reflect the actual views of Motorola. We are working closely with our partners to offer a bootloader solution that will enable developers to use our devices as a development platform while still protecting our users' interests. More detailed information will follow as such a solution is available."

Guest nvkid909

Hello, returning to smartphone (MoDaCo). Also new to Android / Defy.

I think to be fair, if you buy moto you're buying moto first, android second, hence the motoblur. But that's cool with me (personally).

Also I think most people will buy Defy after seeing that pool party advert, & not everyone's concerned with modding bootloaders & stuff. Maybe you are being a tad paranoid because you can get them unlocked even on payg @ carphonewarehouse. Imo these are small issues that can be looked at after you buy. Like you I don't really like to pay that stupid price for iphone (I have ipod touch & feel that ios4 is dumbed down for kids), I've never had a perfect phone & don't believe it exists, at any price, simply because they're designed with contract term lifespans in mind (imo).

After a month with my Defy I feel it's my best phone yet, so far so good. I'm comparing to BB 8520 (poor reception) & nokia 5800 (touchscreen failures, s60 failware). Time will tell & all that ;-)

After a month with my Defy I feel it's my best phone yet, so far so good. I'm comparing to BB 8520 (poor reception) & nokia 5800 (touchscreen failures, s60 failware). Time will tell & all that ;-)

Ditto - and that's from someone who's used to using "flagship" smartphones from all OS and stables. Only the camera really lets it down when compared to high end Nokias etc at twice the price but it still holds up well against mid-range devices (in daylight at least).

Personally I think it's excellent value for money, mainly because it's solid performer in a great handy package that is built to last. Don't worry about SIM unlocking either - T-Mobile will send you the code for £15 on request once you've paid your first bill (just call CS and ask for a "Subsidy Unlock").

Guest add.thebad

i came to the defy from the pulse and i was having the same niggling thaughts as you but you wont be dissapointed it is a stunning phone and blows the defy out the park. no lag!! 2gb internal!! multi touch!!!!!! 1.2GHz!!! havnt found a game it cant candle smoothly!

plus we have fully working froyo! is still rootable and rom-able and as open to do what you want with it the only thing we cant do is have custom kernells which doesnt effect the most of us

and u get wifi teathering stock!

and can be unlocked!

hope it helps any other questions and comparisons im happy to help!

Guest Chillimonster
i came to the defy from the pulse and i was having the same niggling thaughts as you but you wont be dissapointed it is a stunning phone and blows the defy out the park. no lag!! 2gb internal!! multi touch!!!!!! 1.2GHz!!! havnt found a game it cant candle smoothly!

I think you mean Pulse??

Got Pays Froyo on mine and it is superb - certainly the best combination of hardware and software on a phone at the moment (IMO of course!)

Guest add.thebad
I think you mean Pulse??

Got Pays Froyo on mine and it is superb - certainly the best combination of hardware and software on a phone at the moment (IMO of course!)

Haha yeah sorry!! But yeah I agree a great combo its got good speed and the waterproofing is a bonus