Class 10 32Gb Micros SD

Guest lufchigh

Guest lufchigh

I have and had loads of problems...phone would freeze, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes completely, then take ages to reboot.

Have gone back to my class 4 16Gb card and all is well.

Anyone else have problems? Is it because the phone is not compatible with class 10 or could it just be overall quality of the card? I tested the card with my laptop first and it appeared to be absolutely fine, fast, and is definitely not a fake (I copied 25Gb of video to it from my laptop and then played those videos back and it was fine).

any suggestions? I want to carry all my music on the phone and need the extra Gbs!

Have you tried any of the cooked ROMs with swap support and I/O patch?

The other question I have:

The only reason I would go for a class10 microSD is to improve the quality of 720p video recording.

Have you tried the 720p video recording? Did you encounter any improvements in fps or Kbps?

Which brand is that? How did you partition it and what rom do you use?

I've ordered a Patriots-branded but it hasn't arrived yet.

From what I've read, people do get SD card transfer speed with a class 10 card on the Desire, so I don't think the Desire would have compatibility problem with class 10 card. After all, it's the same microSDHC standard with faster memory chips on it. If the Desire didn't support it, at worst it just uses the card at a lower speed. But as with any SD card, some devices may have compatibility issues with the specific memory chips used in the card. However the compatibility issue should be caused by the "class" of the card.

Guest snapilica

I don't think it' because it's Class 10, I think it may be because it's 32GB. On the box it says the Desire has compatible memory cards "up to 16GB". And aren't 32GB cards SDXC?

Guest lufchigh

I thought the desires were upto 32Gb but I did wonder of that was the problem, or that it was a problem with that specific card rather than the class/capacity.

I'm using MCR R9 with a2sd+ I aprtitioned the drive using ROM manager with 512 ext partition. I did not even try video on it as it clearly had problems right from the start.

I didn't specifically set out to buy class 10, it was offered to me by a friend and I just bought it on the spur of the moment. I'm thinking of trying a well known brand, perhaps Kingston as I've never had problems with any of the cards in the past.

I don't think it' because it's Class 10, I think it may be because it's 32GB. On the box it says the Desire has compatible memory cards "up to 16GB". And aren't 32GB cards SDXC?

Yeah, you are right at the time Desire was launched there was no official 32GB card on the market...

FYI SanDisk Recommends the following cards for HTC Desire.

SanDisk microSDHC_8GB

SDSDQ-008G-A11M

SanDisk microSDHC_16GB

SDSDQ-016G-A11M

SanDisk microSDHC_32GB

SDSDQ-032G-A11M

Guest lufchigh
Yeah, you are right at the time Desire was launched there was no official 32GB card on the market...

FYI SanDisk Recommends the following cards for HTC Desire.

SanDisk microSDHC_8GB

SDSDQ-008G-A11M

SanDisk microSDHC_16GB

SDSDQ-016G-A11M

SanDisk microSDHC_32GB

SDSDQ-032G-A11M

Thanks, that's handy to know. I may just stick with my 16Gb card which is fine, but I would like to get all my music on it which means I would need a 32Gb card.

I dont think they exist... Think you got ripped of mate :/ Heard stories about this before.

Where did you get it from?

They exist, they fairly new though. Lexar, and Patriot are some of the manufacturers that sell them at the moment. Expect more branded ones in a month or two, and expect seeing them everywhere in less than half a year.

Yes i see i was wrong.

Now you all got me drooling over these cards tho :P

I think these are the first batch. Some people are experiencing problems some are not. That seems to apply to every SD card though, some are compatible with some devices and some are not, even though they all meet certain SD card standard.

The price of these cards are definitely going to drop a lot, once the big manufacturers like SanDisk and Kingston start shipping them in volumes. I just received my Patriot one today, and I'm going to test it and report back tonight. I bought it for about $95 shipped on newegg.com.

Edited by khtse

Ok, I've got my Patriot 32GB Class 10 microSDHC.

I bought it on newegg, and it seems that a lot of people are reporting problem using it with the Driod X. I used H2testw to perform write and verify test, 3 times (each time takes about an hour...), and did not encounter any issue. So at least I can conclude that the card is not DOA.

I partitioned the card using GParted Live (Fat32 + 1GB Ext4 + 0.3GB Ext4 + 0.1GB Swap) and then installed this rom with Data2Ext:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=789830

Have been reinstalling apps and using the phone for the whole night. So far it seems pretty speedy without any problem. I'll report back after a few days of use.

Ok, I've got my Patriot 32GB Class 10 microSDHC.

I'll report back after a few days of use.

I assume you use a ROM with 720p video recording. Can you also report back on any improvement in video recording such as fps / Kbps?

I assume you use a ROM with 720p video recording. Can you also report back on any improvement in video recording such as fps / Kbps?

No. It's more or less the same as recording with my class 6 card previously, still some wobbling and not entirely smooth frame rate. This has more to do with the non-stellar GPU that comes with the 1st gen Snapdragon than sd card transfer speed. Class 6 is fast enough for 720p recording.

Ok... I seem to be getting problems with the card as well.

I start getting random force close since this morning. Using "adb logcat" I see that I am getting a lot of I/O errors. I'm not sure whether this is due to Data2Ext having some bugs or due to the card. So I tried wiping Dalvik Cache in recovery, and it got stock at boot. "adb logcat" tells me that the phone keeps trying and failing to recreate Dalvik Cache. I have a feeling that this is more likely to be the problem with the card rather than data2ext. The Fat32 partition read/write without problem when I plugged the card back to my PC.

I'll try doing the same data2ext setup with my old class 6 16gb card. If it runs ok for the a few days, then the problem should be the card.

Ok, I've just encountered the same problems with my old trusty 16GB class 6 card which I've been using since the days of HTC Hero. So it seems that the problems were not caused the by 32GB class 10 card. Probably the data2ext... sucks.

Ok, I've just encountered the same problems with my old trusty 16GB class 6 card which I've been using since the days of HTC Hero. So it seems that the problems were not caused the by 32GB class 10 card. Probably the data2ext... sucks.

I usually use a2sd and then flash data2whatever because data2ext can have force close errors. And you mustn't use the reboot option (I usually remove it from my rom) because it doesn't unmount cleanly and can corrupt your system if using the above implementation. I'm not sure that you're experiencing problems because of that but I did in every single test I made with that implementation.

The A2SD+ version of that rom has been running on my phone fine so far, with the 32GB class 10 card! Not a single force close or IO error anymore! So the previous problem I encountered had to do with data2ext rather than the card.

If it continues to run well for a week, I'll give the card a "highly recommend" title!

Have a look at this! I do not know if this helps, but worth trying! All credit goes to Sub501

The purpose of the post is gaining more speed but as a side effect r/w errors are reduced by aligning the fat32 partition or vice versus...

I definitely recommend aligning your SD card partition's geometry and filesystem(s).

On my 16G, class 6, card, using 128k erase block the write speed has been doubled (from 3MB/s to 6MB/s).

After aligning, it seems that is no difference between bfq, vr or sio i/o sched. I got the same speed with all of them.

Here are the guides:

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3696

http://linux-howto-guide.blogspot.com/2009...rite-speed.html

Speed test apk can be found here: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...d-speed-tester/

Have a look at this! I do not know if this helps, but worth trying! All credit goes to Sub501

The purpose of the post is gaining more speed but as a side effect r/w errors are reduced by aligning the fat32 partition or vice versus...

Both of these post seem to refer specifically to a single (ext2/3/4 partition) , what I want to know is how should you partition your sd card when it is two partitions ( fat32 followed by ext (234) ) which I believe is the case for most of us.

Both of these post seem to refer specifically to a single (ext2/3/4 partition) , what I want to know is how should you partition your sd card when it is two partitions ( fat32 followed by ext (234) ) which I believe is the case for most of us.

Ok, have been running A2SD+ version of the rom for 2 days without any problem! Looks like this 32GB class 10 card is a keeper!