My Config For a Fast Phone

Guest trained_killa

Guest trained_killa

I have been trying to get the best out of my T-Mobile Pulse since ... well since I bought it really.

The problem is I can handle the phone myself but as my wife uses this phone it becomes very frustrating when it starts to slow down and freeze etc. and eventually she will go back to her non-descript Nokia phone. So I made it my job to get the best out of it and read a liot about it in these forums. Indeed I want to thank to everybody who made such a great contribution to these forums with their Roms, tweaks and config info.

At the end of nearly 100 rebuilds I finally found a decenr compromise between speed and functionality (I think).

Here is my procedure

UK 2.1 Rom

Clockwork Recovery 2.5.0.7

Recovery mode

Format System

Wipe All

Mount SD Card

Copy Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with fixes to SD Card

Copy gapps-pulse-f0.3.zip to SD Card

Flash Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM and gapps-pulse-f0.3.zip one after another

Reboot

Once completed go to apps menu

Use Rommanager and Partion SD Card

256Mb and 32Mb

Once completed

Recovery Mode

Format System

Wipe All

Mount SD card

Copy Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with fixes to SD Card

Copy Dark Tremor Apps2SD to SD Card

Copy gapps-pulse-f0.3.zip to SD Card

Flash Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM + Dark Tremor Apps2SD + gapps-pulse-f0.3.zip one after another

Reboot

Let the phone complete the process

Once completed

Disabled Autoscreen rotation

Disabled screen transitions

Disabled ADW launcher transitions

Disabled Icon cache

Disabled Fading effects and various other extra screen stuff which effects performance (ADW)

I kept to ADW as this launcher is the best eye-candy vs performance launcher. I tried Launcher.pro, Go Launcher, Zeam, Modaco Gingerbread and none came close to ADW in terms of speed and functionality. You can also install whatever theme you like. makes very little diff. to performance from what i observed.

You can also install gingerbread without transitions Framework from ROM cm6 AIO v7 (based on beta 0.40) Dropbox repository.

Disabled auto-sync for Gmail

Enabled GPS+Wi-Fi+Use Wireless Networks for location

VM heap size 24mb CM settings

Lock home in memory (CM settings)

Lock messaging app in memory (CM settings)

I deleted Maps+Voice+Twitter+Facebook

Installed Super Manager (enable root mode)

In Super manager use File Manager

Deleted DSP, Camera,Email,DevTools,TouchPad apk's.

Uninstalled Super Manager

Installed AutoKiller app (this one is a must). Set it to Optimal (when you first run it)

Installed SeePU (configure to show CPU+Mem on the Notification bar at all times

Installed Mini Task Killer (configure to appear taskbar which will let you access it and kill-all if you need to)

Installed Blade Wi-Fi Fix

Installed Flikie HD Wallpapers and set it to Change wallpaper every 6 hours

Installed Simi Clock (Excellent very light Clock+Weather+Date app) or Installed Fancy Widget and configured

Install Vignette or Camera 360 (both cam apps don't crash on 3MP and Vignette also takes over as default camera app i.e. when you press the camera button it will bring up Vignette. Camera 360 doesn't do this however)

After a reboot checked what happens to CPU+Mem (SeePU) memory should be all the way up and CPU quite low spiking 30-40% now and then

Install any other app which you would like to and move them to SD card where possible.

Observe what happens to memory and CPU after every install to see the effect of the new app.

Don't have many widgets (or Live Wallpaper) one or two widgets will work OK. Again observe after a reboot what happens to CPU+Mem they should spike as phone starts the GUI but then should settle low for CPU high for Mem.

I hope this helps to you people.

Now I go back to doing my Orange San Francisco

trained_killa

Hi,

Nice guide, i will try it, I have one question, what do you use for dialer?

Maybe it is just me, but the preinstalled dialer in CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM does not have intelligent search in contacts,

I can only enter numbers to call .

Thanks,

Pepe

Edited by pepe24

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JimMorrison723
I have been trying to get the best out of my T-Mobile Pulse since ... well since I bought it really.

trained_killa

Well, i tried it out on this week, and here is my conclusion:

So i installed/uninstalled programs you wrote, but the phone was still slower than FLM1.7oc, so i overclocked the CPU to 710Mhz. It became much faster ! Booyah, it works great, fast, froyo, everything worked properly i wanted. But, than i installed 10-15 apps, and it became slow again... But i need a fast phone with apps i usually use !

Sorry, it is a great recipe for a fast phone, if you dont want to use too much app (a lot of rom good for scant apps...) but i go back to FLB1.7... sorry :/

Jim

p.s: sorry for my english :D

Guest trained_killa
Why don't you guys try out autokiller?? It does everything in the a2sd lowmem settings by itself...

From my original post

"Installed AutoKiller app (this one is a must)."

Guest twrock
Why don't you guys try out autokiller?? It does everything in the a2sd lowmem settings by itself...

Because I can simply edit the script that Toti made and avoid adding yet another app. :huh:

There are many good ways to do this. I'm sure Autokiller is a good one too.

Edit: OP, thanks for this thread. There is a lot of good information and suggestions here. SeePU is a great find.

Edited by twrock

Guest trained_killa
Well, i tried it out on this week, and here is my conclusion:

So i installed/uninstalled programs you wrote, but the phone was still slower than FLM1.7oc, so i overclocked the CPU to 710Mhz. It became much faster ! Booyah, it works great, fast, froyo, everything worked properly i wanted. But, than i installed 10-15 apps, and it became slow again... But i need a fast phone with apps i usually use !

Sorry, it is a great recipe for a fast phone, if you dont want to use too much app (a lot of rom good for scant apps...) but i go back to FLB1.7... sorry :/

Jim

p.s: sorry for my english :huh:

Yes you are right as soon as you install number of apps this Rom will slow down. This is a config for the lightest config which I could come up with. As it happens after I gave the phone to my wife and she has been using it for the last 3-4 weeeks, she has used it and didn't ask to go back to her old one until couple of days ago. Well i gave my best shot can't do more than that.

Cheers

trained_killa

Guest trained_killa
Because I can simply edit the script that Toti made and avoid adding yet another app. :huh:

There are many good ways to do this. I'm sure Autokiller is a good one too.

Edit: OP, thanks for this thread. There is a lot of good information and suggestions here. SeePU is a great find.

Just to add few things you may find it useful

CPUnotify (lighter than seepu but no mem section)

Watchdog (warns about run away processes)

SlideScreen (launcher with Facebook/twitter/mail/gmail/sms/calls on the screen)

*Spark (launcher with Facebook/twitter/mail/gmail/sms/calls on the screen)

FontChanger (density changer too)

Wi-Fi Status Bar App ( on/off from status bar) the same person also has bluetooth/screen rotate for Status Bar

Netqin antivirus/malware lost/stolen phone app

Flyscreen (lock screen replacement with (Facebook/twitter)