APP Hub Registration isnt very UK friendly

Guest midnight

Guest midnight

Well I was going to post a very different topic/announcement tonight but due to incidents that have happened (or not happened) today that announcement is on hold so instead I decided to have a bit of a rant about APP Hub registration instead.

Now without going into too much detail, the registration for the APP Hub is as follows:

Enter your details and register as an individual or business

Pay $100 (£75) for a 1 year subscription

Recieve an email from Geotrust so that you can get authorised

Recieve an email from Geotrust to provide ID

Recieve a phone call from Geotrust to provide more details

Register/unlock your phone

Submit Apps

Now that process should take less than 24 hours up to the point of providing Geotrust with ID to ensure you are who you say you are.

And here is the kicker, you MUST provide a Passport or Driving License, thats it, no other form of ID is accepted. Now for many people this isnt a problem, but me, I dont have either and they WILL NOT accept any other form of ID.

So, I have paid £75 to Microsoft that they took with no fuss, just input your card details, here, take my money. And then AFTER you have paid this they then question who you are, surely the fact that I have paid with my credit card registered to my address, that very same address I used on signup, that very same account I would use to (hopefully) make money off games that I submit would be enough verification of who I am.

Now Microsoft and Geotrust have a solution to this..... go out and get a valid Photo ID (at even more expense, £50 for prov driving license, £70+ for passport and we know these things can take weeks).

I know this is only a personal issue and I'm sure many developers signing up do not have this problem, but I'm sure I wont be the only one.

So my message to Microsoft is this..... developers exist outside of the US, we have different laws, we have different identification methods, accept other methods of ID (birth certificate along with P45/P60/Pay Slip, household bills)

Anyhoo, rant over, hopefully this is sorted soon and post what I originally intended :P

• 5 months later...
Guest midnight

Just a quick update on this for those interested.

App hub registration for non-US residents now does not require Geotrust authorisation as you are now verified via your credit card information you gave when paying to be a registered app developer.

Guest cmiuc

Just a quick update on this for those interested.

App hub registration for non-US residents now does not require Geotrust authorisation as you are now verified via your credit card information you gave when paying to be a registered app developer.

This whole group of people need to find new jobs outside of technical ones...if anyone needs a couch potato that can't do diddly squat..these people fit... or if a company needs someone to drag things out with useless and endless crap...well good people to hire...

but if ur a student and want a key, well unless you send them them your genealogical back to Adam or to the ape, then you might get a key... but that's after they talk about nothing for a long time... their website is called re-do, not continue....

I've had so much problems with these people... i like to give Stevie B a kick in the a-s-s to get motivation and problem solving done... they really take the excitement out of the development program... such bs and nonsense.