looking for a vega or clone in Hong Kong

Guest yonisan

Guest yonisan

Hi, i have about 36 hours in hong kong as of now.

I would appreciate if someone can direct me to a shop that has the vega or one of its clones for sale.

I could not find anything similar by myslef (other than the archos 101, which i dont want).

Thanks!

Guest nosferatu_vos
Hi, i have about 36 hours in hong kong as of now.

I would appreciate if someone can direct me to a shop that has the vega or one of its clones for sale.

I could not find anything similar by myslef (other than the archos 101, which i dont want).

Thanks!

You can try to find the Shuttle P10AN01, it is the same device as the advent vega or the POV mobii tegra

Guest yonisan
You can try to find the Shuttle P10AN01, it is the same device as the advent vega or the POV mobii tegra

Thanks for the input. Where do you think i can find them (store address) as i have a short time here and i am unfamiliar with the city.

Guest ParanoidSPV

I would go for the Melata zPad... that is the same as the Vievsonic G Tablet but with 16GB internal storage and 1GB ram but still the tegra 2.

And price should be around the same as the Vega/Mobii

Guest yonisan

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

I would, however, like to hear from some local to hong kong - to know where to go in order to purchase one.

Until now, i have not seen any of the brands mentioned above.

Guest damuffinman

I would, however, like to hear from some local to hong kong - to know where to go in order to purchase one.

Try Shamshuipo's Golden Computer Centre (there's 2 of them, one next to each other), exit D2 on the Shamshuipo MTR. Last time I went there were loads of tablets being sold there. Look for something with similar specs to the Vega, usually they're all branded so they might not know the model number.

Another alternative is Mongkok Computer Centre (Mongkok MTR exit E2). Less tablets there, more computer stuff IMO.

I'm a HK student studying in the UK :D

Guest damuffinman

I should add that you should always, ALWAYS bargain. Especially if you don't look Chinese. You can get much better prices that way.

Guest yonisan

Thank you for the detailed information.

I have actually been to these places today.

All of them have the archos 101 or crappy old "ipad-like" copies in 7 to 10 inch resistive screens, slow processors or low on memory.

One place had a viewsonic 10 box displayed but none in inventory...

It is somewhat strange that these vega clones are not more common here

I hope that an additional post will reveal more info, otherwise i will have to wait until my next uk or us visit, whenever that will be.

Thanks again!

Guest ParanoidSPV

It is when we know that the vega and the viewsonic gtablet are oem versions...

The vega/pov mobii is the Shuttle P10AN01 in china and was just us that got it under the vega and mobii name.

and the g-tab is the melata zpad in chine and was jusr branded gtab in the us... :D

So if we see it like that we got the clones... lol...

Guest damuffinman
Thank you for the detailed information.

I have actually been to these places today.

All of them have the archos 101 or crappy old "ipad-like" copies in 7 to 10 inch resistive screens, slow processors or low on memory.

One place had a viewsonic 10 box displayed but none in inventory...

It is somewhat strange that these vega clones are not more common here

I hope that an additional post will reveal more info, otherwise i will have to wait until my next uk or us visit, whenever that will be.

Thanks again!

Well, if you feel like you're up for an adventure, there's always Shenzhen. A place called Huaqiangbei 華強北 is the main place where all these OEM tablets are stocked, so you could check it out if you have a China visa.

Alternatively, try Yahoo HK Auctions. Found loads of OEM tablets there, usually if you want to place an order just look up the seller's mobile phone, give them a ring to hold the stock and then go pick it up at the address. Most likely cash only.

Guest bear807

like damuffinman im a local as well :D

probably abit too late

i strongly recommend to go to huaqiangbei road!

Man theres like the biggest treasure chest in Asia, if you are looking for mobile phones and computers etc

I don't really recommend going to hong kong's shum shui po golden computer centre, or mong kok unless you are local, because the aftersales is better!

As for a foreigner not much aftersales is needed therefore is much more sensible to go to huaqiangbei, since many of those item orignally comes from here,

Top tips from the locals as in purchasing in huaqiangbei :)

-Always check items you buying, make sure everything is alright before you leave, keep an eye on the product you purchasing make sure it wont get swop to another faulty or defect item

-Always bargain never agree with inital price, if they refuse to sell you at that price move on to another one, they are all shops selling similar items, you will be suprise at the end how cheap it can be compare to the initall price.

-Buying in bulks,remember the more you buy the more it can be cheaper. However warn you that if you buying in bulk make sure you check everything carefully or elese you will be regreting

-Always head on to the higher floors of the centre to source for cheaper product, as for lower floor the rental price is more expensive, due to is accesibity hence price is much more, to my experience lower floor shops has close relationship to higher floors, all items you buy from lower floors comes from higher floor. So you know what to do :P

-Do not carry excesive quantity product crossing the hong kong border, you might look suspicious and custom might held your items! get some postal service near huaqiangbei and post it back to your country, be sure to ask about import tax issues, you might able to escape it but i cannot give you details on it :huh:

good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mehdic

Hi everyone,

Also going to Hong Kong in ten days. Would like to buy a Advent Vega or clone tablet.

Yonisan, did you find one? If yes, coud you tell me where?

Also, i want to be sure to buy a tablet with exactly the same hardware as the Advent Vega. POV mobii is a a clone. Any other known clones?

Thanks,

Mehdi

Guest wobblydoggy
Hi everyone,

Also going to Hong Kong in ten days. Would like to buy a Advent Vega or clone tablet.

Yonisan, did you find one? If yes, coud you tell me where?

Also, i want to be sure to buy a tablet with exactly the same hardware as the Advent Vega. POV mobii is a a clone. Any other known clones?

Thanks,

Mehdi

Korean version is UX100,

Smartbook Surfer 360 is another