CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Frankish
please please please read these posts and the first post (Most importantly) before you post with a question.

Think it would be good to add my file i upped to first post? I think the main thing the nightly adds is OC and my file adds that to RC1.

EDIT:

1127 with quadrant on RC1 and overclock...not that those scores count for much :D

Edited by Frankish

Guest Pelemane
Think it would be good to add my file i upped to first post? I think the main thing the nightly adds is OC and my file adds that to RC1.

EDIT:

1127 with quadrant on RC1 and overclock...not that those scores count for much :D

OC was the thing why I wanted this nigthly but thanks to Frankish Magic I have overclockable RC1 :D but why is 748 maximum? My phone was stable at 768 on JJ.

Guest Frankish
OC was the thing why I wanted this nigthly but thanks to Frankish Magic I have overclockable RC1 :D but why is 748 maximum? My phone was stable at 768 on JJ.

That is just what the guys who set the levels probably maxed out at. Maybe one day they will up it but for now you still have a 148mhz increase from stock kernel :D

Guest Frankish
all nightly build will be the same like this that no proprietary files are included and many functions do not work. or just this one?

Already answered this. It is not usual behaviour however nightlies do often introduce new bugs as well as fixes.

Guest admanirv

Thanks for the OC fix Frankish.

Just done the 'obligatory' quadrant test with CPU set @710mhz, there score was 932!.

I think we can pretty much take this value as gospel now as it appears stagefright etc has been fixed in android2.3

Cheers

Edited by admanirv

video playback ins't working currectly

although I am having 9xx scores on quadrant

PS: cpu clocked at max 710 min 672

Edited by mannas

Nope.

A nightly is, basically, a full build, just like an RC, BUT, it includes the latest patches, etc. That's why you need to wipe because if there's anything changed what refers to old, created-on-first-boot files, it will break.

You can safely add the contents of my zip to nightly #1, but no need for that in RC1.

Can someone please clarify for us less educated, is a wipe required for every new build our just nightlies? I was about to take on RC1 as my first upgrade from MoDaCo 2.1 r4... I can handle a few bugs, but I don't want to reset and lose all my settings with each update.

Guest admanirv
Can someone please clarify for us less educated, is a wipe required for every new build our just nightlies? I was about to take on RC1 as my first upgrade from MoDaCo 2.1 r4... I can handle a few bugs, but I don't want to reset and lose all my settings with each update.

I think its to do with changes to the framwork, thus if you didnt wipe it simply wouldnt work as it would be pointing to items that had changed, moved or dont exist.

Guest targetbsp
PS: cpu clocked at max 710 min 672

That'll drain your battery fast won't it? Android is designed to adjust cpu speed depending on load between the min and max value so you want the min fairly low so it can save power when it's not doing anything.

Thanks for adding that to the third post. It's handy you've got it, it can be for stuff I forget to add, or am a bit slow at (I was in the shower, hence a lack of updating there.)

Do you still want it in my post?

Guest skymera

I never wiped for any nightlies on my Hero.

I used to backup all user apps via Titanium Backup BEFORE flashing the nightly.

99% of the time it was fine.

If it bootlooped or behaved odd, i wiped everything, reflashed latest nightly then restored all apps using Titanium Backup.

That'll drain your battery fast won't it? Android is designed to adjust cpu speed depending on load between the min and max value so you want the min fairly low so it can save power when it's not doing anything.

that's not a problem for me because I only have phone turn on when I need it so battery life isn't that important for me

and I use profiles in setcpu so when my screen is of it is colocked at 320 max 320 min

Edited by mannas

Guest leetron1

Talking of SetCPU..I'm letting the ROM itself control scaling..what do folks think of letting SetCPU do the job?

Pros & Cons?

Edited by leetron1

Guest hegde19

I too got a 900+ quadrant score on CM7 RC1. (no overclocking) I wanted to see the performance of 3D game - I picked Asphalt 5 lite. I found the performace was prettymuch same as on 2.2 JJ9. Felt kind of weird.. I was expecting absolutely no jerks considering the Performance improvements google has put in 2.3 (concurrent GC etc) Is this because CM7 needs more tuning? or its Blade's limitation?

Anyone any thoughts?

Regards

Guest skymera
Talking of SetCPU..I'm letting the CM control scaling..what do folks think of letting SetCPU do the job?

Pros & Cons?

I prefer SetCPU because it has profile support.

Though any does the job really.

Guest Frankish

Here is volume control when screen is off and skip track using volume also fix. In a handy update zip.

EDIT:

Works fine too i've tested it.

EDIT2: I really wish we could find a fix for that damn after call proximity sensor problem...it seems to be the last major hurdle.

EDIT3: Updated for headset buttons too.

Volumecontrolfix2.zip

Edited by Frankish

EDIT2: I really wish we could find a fix for that damn after call proximity sensor problem...it seems to be the last major hurdle.

That, and how appaling the battery life is. The fact it wakes up halfway through the night and drains battery for the next morning is a major problem. And it just continues draining far faster otherwise. Do you think your CPU update might help? ( I went back to the RC, Nightly wouldn't RIL)

Guest targetbsp
That, and how appaling the battery life is. The fact it wakes up halfway through the night and drains battery for the next morning is a major problem. And it just continues draining far faster otherwise. Do you think your CPU update might help? ( I went back to the RC, Nightly wouldn't RIL)

Are you using the Shake app? It kept my phone awake about half the night - which is why I use Tasker now to fix it.

Guest skymera

Uploaded in other thread, but i'll stick here too as it makes more sense.

Never made zip before, so Frankish I used yours as a base and replaced the qwerty.kl, hope you don't mind.

I added the correct options in qwerty.kl for headset button, here it is:

I also removed some WAKE_DROPPED entries I thought as unecessary. All working good for me thus far.

headset_volfix.zip

Edited by skymera

This. The Standby time is appalling on this ROM. The battery lost 17% overnight, over 8 hours. Agreed the proximity sensor is a bigger issue but the battery life also needs to be looked into.

Uploaded in other thread, but i'll stick here too as it makes more sense.

Never made zip before, so Frankish I used yours as a base, hope you don't mind.

I added the correct options in qwerty.kl for headset button, here it is:

I'll put it up if a couple of people says it works. Or if it worked totally for you with Frankish's base.

Guest domdom43
This. The Standby time is appalling on this ROM. The battery lost 17% overnight, over 8 hours. Agreed the proximity sensor is a bigger issue but the battery life also needs to be looked into.

When battery is less than 15% or 10%, the red light button is flashing every second even if screen is off!

Guest skymera
When battery is less than 15% or 10%, the red light button is flashing every second even if screen is off!

I think that's intentional to let you know it needs charging.

If the LED didn't flash when screen was off, I wouldn't know it was flat.

Guest fonix232

PEOPLE, TRY TO READ!

I already wrote this many times... go to the freakin Spare parts, select that fukken "End key behavior" and set it to "Go to sleep"!

Basically with CM, the phone won't go to sleep (as it was, on ZTE ROMs). This setting will make it sleep. Overnight loss: 5% in 14 hours.