CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Anyone could fix it in the kernel and provide a separate boot.img for us to use. They would just have to re-add the fixes each time the CM guys update their kernel. So any takers...? :huh:

I'm trying, but I'm doing something noobish in the config that's causing me being unable to mount the usb or usb debugging.

Guest themighysquitt
^+1.

Offtopic, but seriously, people seem to claim days of standby use, which most people including me find ridiculous at best.

The most i can get out of it is 2 days of standby, if i switch off wifi/3g and use 2G networks only.

So, either we're missing a secret tip here, or people are just jerking us around.

Would be nice if people shared their battery tips...

P.S: I'm still holding off moving to CM because of the proximity sensor issue, which still seems to have conflicting answers, can anyone with an OLED blade [assuming this has something to do with the OLED/TFT batch difference] confirm if its fixed?

Thanks

With CM7 nightly 4 the battery fell 18% while I was asleep on tuesday night, with fibblesans ROM the battery only goes down about 1%. With CM7 I found during the day the battery went down rather quickly, I think we be lucky to get 2 days worth of battery life with out of CM7.

I managed to sort the proximity issue with nightly 4, I installed the new kernel (its on the first page on of thread). I

Guest targetbsp
^+1.

Offtopic, but seriously, people seem to claim days of standby use, which most people including me find ridiculous at best.

The most i can get out of it is 2 days of standby, if i switch off wifi/3g and use 2G networks only.

So, either we're missing a secret tip here, or people are just jerking us around.

When I was sick recently my battery was still over 50% after 4 days only using it purely as a phone (texts and a few short calls calls - no apps or anything). In typical use (text, calls, apps) I get 3 to 4 days. On this rom I can't pass 2 days. :huh:

I use 3g off, airplane overnight, roms decrapified in titanium and autostarts to stop user apps I have installed but rarely use from loading.

It just depends how heavily you use it. A few texts and a few short calls then it will standby for several days. If you use it like a laptop with data and apps then it won't last anything like that. It's all too easy, during a period where you're trying to see how long you can make it standby, to load up an app in a few moments of boredom. I've never been able to match the battery life the thing got while I was too sick to use it as anything other than a phone! But, like I say, I still expect a few days use and I can't get that when Froyo drops < 1% overnight in airplane and Cm7 drops 15% in the same conditions!

With very light use, I can get up to 6 days of battery life with JJ9. My "secret" is to use Batteryfu, so there is no internet connection when screen is off. I think sleeping time would be like 2 weeks or more (of course I don't have time to test this) because battery consuption is only 0-1 %/8h when i'm sleeping at night. But if I play angry birds or use web browser or something, battery will go down about 10-20 %/hour.

So it's all about usage and internet connection, or at least with my phone and JJ9.

Edited by Oyorf

Guest socialworker

Well, I tested quite a lot of ROMs and my only tip, which is no secret for anyone:

Use FLB!

Lasts a lot longer than anything else I've used, 2 days with quite heavy use or 4+ days with light use are standard.

Hey all, just updated the first post, but I want to say this.

A). Read the first post.

B ). READ IT.

C). Would it be possible for EVERYONE to upgrade to Nightly 6? Then we're all at the same level. No one should be using the RC or Nightly 2 anymore

D). WIPE before installing. Adds a lower chance of screw ups. Remember, Titanium backup is your friend, you can restore near anything.

E). Install apps to the phone, just to be on the safe side, and then if you know they wok on the SD card, let them onto there. KEEP ANGRY BIRDS ON THE PHONE.

Right, Thank you. Should clear some stuff up, and of course, this can be disregarded if you've already done all of this.

Guest Frankish

Who really needs their phone to last more than 24 hours tops. Mine lasts around 18 hours tops but a charger is always nearby. I charge every night. I keep a tiny micro usb cable on me too. I use it like a laptop :huh:

Guest cooldfuzion
Who really needs their phone to last more than 24 hours tops. Mine lasts around 18 hours tops but a charger is always nearby. I charge every night. I keep a tiny micro usb cable on me too. I use it like a laptop :huh:

+1 :)

I've really realised that. The phone may feeel like it chews up battery, but that's just some squiffy reporting. But when I went into the battery use chart, and it said "on battery 1 day, 1 hour and 23 minutes" I felt slightly better. It lasts a day, and it should last longer in the nights. That's the worst part, putting your phone to bed, and waking up having it exhausted itself. That's the problem, really. Battery life is fine otherwise.

Just put it on charge overnight, as long as it lasts through a day, I don't see a big problem. How often do you need to be away from a usb socket for 4 days? If you're using this rom at the moment you should be reflashing almost every day to get the latest bug fixes anyway.

Edited by wbaw

Victor, with Nightly 6 all temp. workarounds can be removed from your second post (the "Big bag O' temporary fixes", leaving them there could confuse people).

Edited by _amano

Hm, I still get the screen blank after call issue.

Went from N4+New Kernel to N6 without wiping though. Not sure if I had the problem on N4+New Kernel.

Anybody else?

[/quo

Yea I have same problem even after wiping data and cache on N6

Victor, with Nightly 6 all temp. workarounds can be removed from your second post (the "Big bag O' temporary fixes", leaving them there could confuse people).

Good plan, I'm still a tad out of it.

Wahey, yep, all gone, and very good to say so.

Edited by Victor von Zeppelin

Guest The Soup Thief
Just put it on charge overnight, as long as it lasts through a day, I don't see a big problem. How often do you need to be away from a usb socket for 4 days? If you're using this rom at the moment you should be reflashing almost every day to get the latest bug fixes anyway.

Couldn't agree more. This talk of battery life is all getting a bit dick-swingy

Guest Redflake
Hey all, just updated the first post, but I want to say this.

A). Read the first post.

B ). READ IT.

C). Would it be possible for EVERYONE to upgrade to Nightly 6? Then we're all at the same level. No one should be using the RC or Nightly 2 anymore

D). WIPE before installing. Adds a lower chance of screw ups. Remember, Titanium backup is your friend, you can restore near anything.

E). Install apps to the phone, just to be on the safe side, and then if you know they wok on the SD card, let them onto there. KEEP ANGRY BIRDS ON THE PHONE.

Right, Thank you. Should clear some stuff up, and of course, this can be disregarded if you've already done all of this.

Totally agree. we all need to run the latest vanilla Cyanogenmod nightly to be be able to compare what bugs still exist.

Installing patches, themes and other fixes will just cofuse the issue. We are all beta testers in a way, so we need to do the testing properly if we want to get a fully working Cyanogenmod rom on the blade. Just look at the small amount of phones that are supported by Cyanogenmod, getting the Blade on the list is a privilege.

Lets do the job properly. :huh:

Guest targetbsp

Screw the environment eh? :) Use 4 times the electricity and have to replace your battery 4 times sooner? Lol I'm with you guys on that front - I'm not exactly green! I just like efficiency for efficiency's sake. I see it as a personal challenge to have my computer equipment running as lightweight as possible. Very few background tasks, plenty of free memory and fast. I get mroe enjoyment out of setting up and tweaking things than I do out of using them - which is why Apple products bore me - they just work. It just distresses me that my current rom uses 4 times the power of any other. It may not hamper your way of using it but it's nonetheless a fault that's very apparent to light phone users.

I know the obvious solution is to change the rom but that's boring. I like being on the cutting edge! And please remember, the only reason I am talking about the battery life at this time is in response to somebody asking about it. :huh: I'm not telling soup thief that my battery is better than his battery. I'm telling rayraven why it is because he asked and it may help him if he wants his battery to last longer.

On another subject, I've been playing around with Rom Manager a bit today. It's kinda neat. I'm tempted to buy the premium version. I like the idea of it downloading each nightly, backing up my current rom and then flashing the new one for me. :P It's just a shame it's only for CM7 so I have to be sure I'm sticking with this rom for it to be worthwhile. Which ironically means having to manually install updates to ensure I'm satisfied with the bug fixes lol.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest doubleluckstur
On another subject, I've been playing around with Rom Manager a bit today. It's kinda neat. I'm tempted to buy the premium version. I like the idea of it downloading each nightly, backing up my current rom and then flashing the new one for me. :) It's just a shame it's only for CM7 so I have to be sure I'm sticking with this rom for it to be worthwhile. Which ironically means having to manually install updates to ensure I'm satisfied with the bug fixes lol.

Premium is awesome. No question. I have a premium license from my old phone and it's just awesome. :huh:

Guest Azurren
Screw the environment eh? :) Use 4 times the electricity and have to replace your battery 4 times sooner? Lol I'm with you guys on that front - I'm not exactly green! I just like efficiency for efficiency's sake. I see it as a personal challenge to have my computer equipment running as lightweight as possible. Very few background tasks, plenty of free memory and fast. It just distresses me that my current rom uses 4 times the power of any other. It may not hamper your way of using it but it's nonetheless a fault that's very apparent to light phone users.

Didn't someone work out that it costs less than 20p a year to charge a desire every night?

In other words charging your phone every night makes less of an impact on the environment as a vegetarian passing gas :huh:

Guest Totyasrác

Charging: for some reason with the factory wall charger it's saying "Charging: USB" instead of "Charging: AC". Why is it so?

(Been charging it for over 2.5 hours and still it's only at about 85% so I guess it's only charging with 500mA like from the USB port not like AC charging...)

Anyone else?

Guest targetbsp
Premium is awesome. No question. I have a premium license from my old phone and it's just awesome. :)

Thanks! I think i'll get it next time there's a nightly worth putting on. :huh:

Charging: for some reason with the factory wall charger it's saying "Charging: USB" instead of "Charging: AC". Why is it so?

(Been charging it for over 2.5 hours and still it's only at about 85% so I guess it's only charging with 500mA like from the USB port not like AC charging...)

Anyone else?

I've noticed that wall charging it a lot slower. Perhaps it's a problem, and the software isn't pulling enough current through the power circuitry, when it has the chance to. If a few more could corroborate this, it'd be great. Perhaps then we could sling it on the bug tracker.

Guest Totyasrác
I've noticed that wall charging it a lot slower. Perhaps it's a problem, and the software isn't pulling enough current through the power circuitry, when it has the chance to. If a few more could corroborate this, it'd be great. Perhaps then we could sling it on the bug tracker.

If it's not only the 2 of us then we can raise an issue like "Charging problem - only USB current instead of AC" or something like that.