CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest skull_fcuk
Does anyone have an issue with handcent SMS, it doesnt play a notification sound even though its enabled.

I have it to switch the screen on if not on, when a message is received.

Cheers

I don't have any problems. I get notifications, whether the screen is on or not.

Guest Rotmann
Seems as if this rom is being given up on... :)

Until the apps 2 sd thing is fixed and 2d performance is better i think im going back to FLB.

Flashed nighlty 6 this morning, it's quite a nice rom :huh: the launcher is still a bit laggy, especially the app drawer even with the wallpaper hack unticked. Launcher Pro was a bit laggy too.

Other than that i haven't found anything broken, but i only made one very quick call and reinstalled my apps. I'll be using this as my main rom until a newer release is out.

thanks to eveyrone working on this.

This has been mentioned a lot of times, get gingerbread launcher of Steven Lin from the market, the performance is butter smooth.

Also the apps2sd bug can be evoided by formating the card with partition manager under windows or gparted, into two PRIMARY partitions: the first fat32, the second ext3. Install s2e (simple2ext) from the market, put it to move the apps to ext and restart. Before installing the ROM apply wbaw's partition mod to get 333 MB. This is only for people who use more than 10-20 apps and games.

@Victor could you put this in your first post, I think it would be precious info for new users.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest That-Guy

Just want to check something before finally switching to CM7....

If I install CM7 (latest nightly) can up update to a newer nightly using ROM Manager without wiping data etc and having to set it all up again?

If this is the case, will this still apply when the final version is released?

Thanks

Guest IronDoc

If I install CM7 (latest nightly) can up update to a newer nightly using ROM Manager without wiping data etc and having to set it all up again?

Thanks

Mostly. You may need to wipe data for a couple of things occasionally. Depends on what changes.

Edited by IronDoc

Guest Rotmann

Thanks

You can update through ROM manager if you buy it without wiping but you know how it is, you can never know if problems appear. That's why you should back up. Also update to nightlies thst bring important changes, not to every one. Take note that the main remaining problem is the fast draining battery in stand by, if this is very important to you I would think twice, some users may have tracked it down to the garbage collector collecting to often or the automatic time actualization which happens too often, waiting anxiously to see what they sort out. After this "long" quiet period I am sure we will be surprised with some nice fixes, maybe RC2 as someone mentioned here. Do remember that CM7 is very young and is almost perfect and good enough for day to day use, Froyo needed 2-3 months to be fully functional.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest JimJam707

Thanks

Yes, yes you can.

Guest doubleluckstur

Thanks

Yes.. although you would have to go through setup again, you can keep data etc. (you don't need to wipe)

Edited by doubleluckstur

Guest That-Guy
You can update through ROM manager if you buy it without wiping but you know how it is, you can never know if problems appear. That's why you should back up. Also update to nightlies thst bring important changes, not to every one. Take note that the main remaining problem is the fast draining battery in stand by, if this is very important to you I would think twice, some users may have tracked it down to the garbage collector collecting to often or the automatic time actualization which happens too often, waiting anxiously to see what they sort out. After this "long" quiet period I am sure we will be surprised with some nice fixes, maybe RC2 as someone mentioned here. Do remember that CM7 is very young and is almost perfect and good enough for day to day use, Froyo needed 2-3 months to be fully functional.

Very wise words, thank you :huh:

Think I will wait for the battery drain issue to be sorted. Just looked at the bug tracker and thats the only thing that really bothers me.

Thanks Again!

Guest tcpaulh
just read we need a kernel update for usb tethering to work, can anyone advise how this would start?

I don't know but the thought of an updated kernel would appeal even if I didn't need usb tethering.

Not sure if this is absolutely 100% sure. Anyway I saw on a few Nexus One forums that wiping /cache and dalvik-cache in recovery helped a lot towards standby battery life on CM7 and 2.3.3. Tried it out, and it's been almost 2.5hrs of standby and my phone is still at 15%. Normally under CM7, it would've lost around ~ 5% in the same time.

Will test this overnight. Maybe somebody else could also test if it works. (Actually if it is the garbage collector that's responsible for the battery drain, kinda makes sense doing this.)

Edited by css771

Also the apps2sd bug can be evoided by formating the card with partition manager under windows or gparted, into two PRIMARY partitions: the first fat32, the second ext3. Install s2e (simple2ext) from the market, put it to move the apps to ext and restart. Before installing the ROM apply wbaw's partition mod to get 333 MB. This is only for people who use more than 10-20 apps and games.

@Victor could you put this in your first post, I think it would be precious info for new users.

First of all, just that bit? And yes, of course I can. You're my pointer for this thread, obviously. Been busy and thus is tough to follow and update.

Guest Rotmann
First of all, just that bit? And yes, of course I can. You're my pointer for this thread, obviously. Been busy and thus is tough to follow and update.

I think the gingerbread launcher by Steven Lin is good tip too because the performance in 2D is at it's best with this launcher.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Not sure if this is absolutely 100% sure. Anyway I saw on a few Nexus One forums that wiping /cache and dalvik-cache in recovery helped a lot towards standby battery life on CM7 and 2.3.3. Tried it out, and it's been almost 2.5hrs of standby and my phone is still at 15%. Normally under CM7, it would've lost around ~ 5% in the same time.

Will test this overnight. Maybe somebody else could also test if it works. (Actually if it is the garbage collector that's responsible for the battery drain, kinda makes sense doing this.)

Nope, I ALWAYS wipe cache + dalvik cache when installing a new nightly, and it didn't improve things in the slightest.

But a GC running wild would at least explain why the battery drains in "idle" (cos' the phone won't be really idle/sleeping when the GC kicks in every few millisecs)

just to the (more or less) same extent as when the phone is actually used.

Edited by alex1alex2alex3alex4

Guest Scoopading

Victor von Zeppelin - can you please update your first post to be more explicit about the current issue with 2G/3G data connecting without permission? It says..

*Data connection established when turning wifi off, make sure to check and turn data off after using Wifi

The problem with that advice is the WIFI will also drop when the screen turns off, not just when you explicitly switch it off. This means (by default) the phone is going to make a data connection at some point when the screen goes off and the WIFI drops! I found this out the hard way when I left the phone charging overnight, with WIFI enabled, and found 96p of the phones credit had been eaten in the morning!

I would recommend that, if people don't have a data plan, they should back up and temporarily remove their APN entry (I recommend APN Backup & Restore from the market) if they want to be sure the current build will not make 2G/3G connections without their permission.

Nasty bug which can actually cost people money..

I think the gingerbread launcher by Steven Lin is good tip too because the performance in 2D is at it's best with this launcher.

Okey dokes, and thanks good sir, you're a much needed help.

Victor von Zeppelin - can you please update your first post to be more explicit about the current issue with 2G/3G data connecting without permission? It says..

The problem with that advice is the WIFI will also drop when the screen turns off, not just when you explicitly switch it off. This means (by default) the phone is going to make a data connection at some point when the screen goes off and the WIFI drops! I found this out the hard way when I left the phone charging overnight, with WIFI enabled, and found 96p of the phones credit had been eaten in the morning!

I would recommend that, if people don't have a data plan, they should back up and temporarily remove their APN entry (I recommend APN Backup & Restore from the market) if they want to be sure the current build will not make 2G/3G connections without their permission.

Nasty bug which can actually cost people money..

Ooh Golly, yeah. I hadn't thought about that. I shall put it in ASAP

Also, if you could mention your problem a few times around the place, it'll get it ingrained in the back of peoples heads as a thing to watch out for.

Edited by Victor von Zeppelin

Nope, I ALWAYS wipe cache + dalvik cache when installing a new nightly, and it didn't improve things in the slightest.

But a GC running wild would at least explain why the battery drains in "idle" (cos' the phone won't be really idle/sleeping when the GC kicks in every few millisecs)

just to the (more or less) same extent as when the phone is actually used.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean before wiping cache before installing. I meant during use, whenever the high battery usage issue is encountered.