CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Scoopading, I added your findings to the bug tracker:

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issue...tars%20Priority

It would be good if more people could "star" this issue to raise developer awareness.

This is a nightly build issue and should not be posted on the bug tracker.

Can you please update the first post that you should not report bugs from nightlies on the bug tracker, you should do it on the cyanogen forums.

Guest Simon O
This is a nightly build issue and should not be posted on the bug tracker.

Can you please update the first post that you should not report bugs from nightlies on the bug tracker, you should do it on the cyanogen forums.

And if anybody is thinking about lying and reporting issues as being with RC1 instead of the nightly they are actually using.. don't. Nightly builds are test builds. Expect them to have bad bugs.

Guest hecatae
And if anybody is thinking about lying and reporting issues as being with RC1 instead of the nightly they are actually using.. don't. Nightly builds are test builds. Expect them to have bad bugs.

so even if you do a "brunch blade" and build yourself, they can still tell it's a nightly build?

Guest Simon O
Victor von Zeppelin - can you please update your first post to be more explicit about the current issue with 2G/3G data connecting without permission? It says..

The problem with that advice is the WIFI will also drop when the screen turns off, not just when you explicitly switch it off. This means (by default) the phone is going to make a data connection at some point when the screen goes off and the WIFI drops! I found this out the hard way when I left the phone charging overnight, with WIFI enabled, and found 96p of the phones credit had been eaten in the morning!

I would recommend that, if people don't have a data plan, they should back up and temporarily remove their APN entry (I recommend APN Backup & Restore from the market) if they want to be sure the current build will not make 2G/3G connections without their permission.

Nasty bug which can actually cost people money..

SHOCK HORROR. A smart phone makes data connections...

If there is no wifi connection then the phone will use the mobile data account as designed. What exactly is the issue here??

If there is no wifi connection then the phone will use the mobile data account as designed. What exactly is the issue here??

The issue is that the data connection is used after wi-fi is turned off, even when mobile data is unticked in settings.

Guest Simon O
so even if you do a "brunch blade" and build yourself, they can still tell it's a nightly build?

Yes because the majority of the recent bugs are only bugs with the recent nightlies, not the RC builds.

Guest Simon O
The issue is that the data connection is used after wi-fi is turned off, even when mobile data is unticked in settings.

Then that should be mentioned on the first page.

Guest Matthew Ferguson

Nightly 8 seems to have fixed the screen not coming back on during a call. It's not a perfect fix and doesn't always work, but eventually it comes back on.

Guest Pelemane
Nightly 8 seems to have fixed the screen not coming back on during a call. It's not a perfect fix and doesn't always work, but eventually it comes back on.

That was fixed in "newer" nightly 4 (n5?).

is it just me, or is CM turning out to be a major disappointment on the Blade?

no disrespect intended, and i haven't even tried it yet. but with bugs like "screen randomly freezes" i was going to wait. probably just built up too much expectation from others on here..

Guest Matthew Ferguson

I also noticed in Nightly 6 seemingly occasional dead spot in the bottom centre of the screen, when I was trying to close the notifications window, and occasionally on the space bar in the keyboard when typing. This seems to be fixed in N8.

Guest Matthew Ferguson

no disrespect intended, and i haven't even tried it yet. but with bugs like "screen randomly freezes" i was going to wait. probably just built up too much expectation from others on here..

I personally don't care much for CM itself, however, the addition/upgrade of Gingerbread is a joy. It's like when Froyo first came out (eg JJ RLS1) it was awful, buggy, the backlit buttons didn't work... but now I wouldn't dream of EVER using a 2.1 rom on my phone. It could soon be the same for 2.2.

Guest jurrasstoil

err, well, this is in development. If this would be the finished version ie. a 1.0, then yes, it would be a disappointment.

Tho, some people don't seem to realize that this isn't like commercial releases where you get a finished and tested product that still has some minor issues. It is more like the beta or even alpha build of a commercial software that you'll rarely get your hands on (unless there is an open or closed beta).

So, wait for a stable release, then judge yourself.

Oh, and you might wanna take a look at some other CM7 bugtrackers for other devices to put things into perspective. The Galaxy S for example:

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod7-for-...xys/issues/list

Edited by jurrasstoil

I also noticed in Nightly 6 seemingly occasional dead spot in the bottom centre of the screen, when I was trying to close the notifications window, and occasionally on the space bar in the keyboard when typing. This seems to be fixed in N8.

Had that about 3 times.

Dont really get why "they" want no Nightly bugreports (mabe seperate them from RC bugs) but it should help to fix them.

Is there a stock Froyo like skin out? I kinda like the white bar with black icons :huh:

Guest Scoopading

Well, in this case, it wasn't so smart :) As was pointed out, it is a bit "shock horror" when you explicitly disable the mobile data connection and the phone ignores the settings when it goes to sleep (and sleeps the WIFI along with it, triggering the Mobile Data bug). So I had no idea until I turned the screen on in the morning. But at least it did learn me that it's probably a good idea to disable the APN on nightly test builds if you care about data usage. :huh:

Guest AppleBelly

Umm it is you.

Out of the 3 types of CM7 releases we've had so far, none have been labelled as bug free or ready for use:

Beta - Not feature complete and contains bugs

Release Candidate (RC) - Feature complete but contains bugs

Nightly - Based on the latest RC/Beta and contains fixes for bugs but untested (you are the tester!)

So actually in the 2 week that this has been going officially, I think it is incredible the amount of progress they have made. Stop looking at the negative and look at what they have successfully achieved, its fast, it used less battery than my JJr9 did, etc...

Have a look at the positive effect CM have had on other phone communities before you bash this release!

Edited by AppleBelly

just you

Guest Chaz_UK

Downloading build 8 now. I'm really pleased with all of the progress made. I never did think the low end Blade was going to be embraced by the Dev community the way it has and the fact we have a usable build of Gingerbread with all the CM improvements has blown me away.

Progress seems to be made every release and I've enjoyed testing each build.