CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

IDK about yours, but my battery life is great. Been to a party yesterday (today, actually). I left home at 18:30, with 89% charged. Listening to music on the bus (15min) and about 5 hours of show-off and wifi usage. When I woke up today, battery at 47%. Tell me it isn't good :huh:

I dont know if it's something I'm doing wrong, but after hearing about similiar issues from other people on this forum and from other people with different devices running RC1, I would have to guess it's something in the base CM code. Even with full wipe of /data, /cache, and dalvik-cache, and only CM system installed, battery drains like crazy on standby.

Here in this screenshot that I took just now after a day or so of very light usage, notice that the phone does not go to sleep completely when the screen is off. Right now, there are some apps installed but regardless of that, I was facing the same issue. Even after screen goes off, the phone awakens, due to what I haven't been able to figure out. (Ignore the sharp vertical drop at the end there. That was due to a reboot.)

post-786419-1298809327_thumb.png

Edited by css771

Guest fonix232
With all these nightlies being released I'm sure a R2 will be out soon? :huh:

Nightlies, as their name says, are built every night. Sometimes there is a lot of them, like with CM6 on the HTC G1, we got around 250 nightlies for RC2.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
IDK about yours, but my battery life is great. Been to a party yesterday (today, actually). I left home at 18:30, with 89% charged. Listening to music on the bus (15min) and about 5 hours of show-off and wifi usage. When I woke up today, battery at 47%. Tell me it isn't good :huh:

The problem is CM7 uses just as much battery when the phone is "idle" as it does when you actually use the phone.

2% ticking of the battery per hour, this wasn't the case with JJ for me, I didn't even get this PER DAY

when the phone was just sitting there idle.

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
Which isn't true for the blade-nightlies :huh:

Almost not true. I think Nightly 6 got the Nightly 4 treatment and was updated CM-wise, but not anything specifically blade related.

But yes, Has anyone tried out nightly 8, yet?

Any differences that I can put up?

Guest iakinthos
Just tried CM8 and the wifi issue where when you turn it off the 3G comes on is still there and also my battery drained at an alarming rate!

Time to restore back to Froyo 2.2.

Same problem here

I must after switch off wifi to enable data and then disable them again to go away the 3g

Guest punkmilitia
Nightlies, as their name says, are built every night. Sometimes there is a lot of them, like with CM6 on the HTC G1, we got around 250 nightlies for RC2.

Really? blimey! I was thinking these nightlies are going very great - almost all issues seem to be fixed or close to it - heck it beats all the 2.2 roms as it is :0

Guest doubleluckstur
Almost not true. I think Nightly 6 got the Nightly 4 treatment and was updated CM-wise, but not anything specifically blade related.

But yes, Has anyone tried out nightly 8, yet?

Any differences that I can put up?

I can't see any differences. My camera (3.2mp) still has colour loss despite reports it's fixed. No differences so far... will keep hunting

Guest Maringer
Battery life seems to of improved... I previously would of lost about 10% in 5 hours, now I have only lost 1%

Is this with Nightly 8?

I installed Nightly 6 last night and have seen battery going down around 2% an hour when the phone is in standby. I'm not entirely sure that the screen is switching itself off properly when sleeping.

Other than this issue, I'm generally impressed with Gingerbread - Angry Birds is much, much smoother even than with Froyo! Not had chance to have a look around CM yet, however.

Guest t0mm13b

Is it me or what?

I went into ROM Manager, checked for ROM update and found nightly 8, which it did download then was asked to confirm wipe data/cache and backup the rom.

The oddity was that the handset rebooted into recovery, performed the backup, and installed the rom, then rebooted...

Not once did I see the progress bar moving at all?! :huh:

Guest Pelemane
Is it me or what?

I went into ROM Manager, checked for ROM update and found nightly 8, which it did download then was asked to confirm wipe data/cache and backup the rom.

The oddity was that the handset rebooted into recovery, performed the backup, and installed the rom, then rebooted...

Not once did I see the progress bar moving at all?! :huh:

Progress bar doesn't move if you choose Rom Manager settings-> quick backup and restore. But it's faster.

Is this better than RC1? I have RC1, but I use JJ now, use to use Modaco.

So, should I download this? Is this much better?

Edited by Tahsin

Guest The Soup Thief
Is this better than RC1? I have RC1, but I use JJ now, use to use Modaco.

So, should I download this? Is this much better?

It's still work in progress, but tbh I'm using these [bi~/tri~]nightlies as daily drivers and have found them very stable

There are small glitches, but it's all good sport

I was using MCR12, FLB8 and I forget which JJ previously and don't find the nightlies particularly more troublesome

Important to remember though, that more so than with the MCR and other firmwares, these are in rapid development, so if you're gonna dip your toe, you should be flashing and reflashing every day (or every couple of days) in order to ensure everyone's critiquing the same building

Is it much better than RC1? I think so - seems lots more stable, though TBH I can't recall exactly what the glitches in RC1 were before the nightlies ironed them out - but they have been ireoned out largely

Maybe best ask yourself what you want from your phone right now and decide yourself. If you're happy with JJ then maybe hold fire on this til RC2 comes along. Sounds like it might be a long wait though from fonix232's comment above...

Edited by The Soup Thief

PEOPLE, TRY TO READ!

I already wrote this many times... go to the freakin Spare parts, select that fukken "End key behavior" and set it to "Go to sleep"!

Basically with CM, the phone won't go to sleep (as it was, on ZTE ROMs). This setting will make it sleep. Overnight loss: 5% in 14 hours.

This seems to have fixed the partial wake / battery problem for me.

Guest mELIANTE

Well, I was running the previous nightly and decided to try GT Racing Academy on it. It was running pretty good in Seb404's de-crossed so I though it would be even better in CM7. Well, it didn't, the game was choppy as hell and the CPU oponents were dumb as a door, they didn't turn and were all ramming each other. It was fun :)

Sorry for the OT, just wanted to share that experience with you guys :huh:

Edited by mELIANTE

Guest IronDoc
They won't be built if there are no changes :huh:

No changes on the Cyanogen end would be very rare. So it should be built even with no blade-specific changes.

Guest t0mm13b
PEOPLE, TRY TO READ!

I already wrote this many times... go to the freakin Spare parts, select that fukken "End key behavior" and set it to "Go to sleep"!

Basically with CM, the phone won't go to sleep (as it was, on ZTE ROMs). This setting will make it sleep. Overnight loss: 5% in 14 hours.

Can this be made into the first post to serve as a heads up for every one? :huh:

Guest skyhacker
This seems to have fixed the partial wake / battery problem for me.

Already tried this but still getting batery drain, gonne try nightly 8 will report after test

Guest Nick Rhodes

Don't forget not every build attempt will be successful. Compilation errors, built in test failure, packaging error etc could all cause a non-build.

Cheers, Nick