CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest Spaennis

nightly 8 seem to have fixed the extreme battery-drain when idle, but when I used the phone for an hour playing angry birds it drained from 50% to 20% :huh: but anyway, still love CM!!! :)

Guest ballist1x

Hi just installed nightly 8 and all seems well, except I can't get GPS to fix a location. The GPS symbol flashes but can't locate. Any one not have this issue or a fix?

Guest targetbsp
nightly 8 seem to have fixed the extreme battery-drain when idle

Now that you mention it, my phone has dropped nothing in 3 hours of standby on N8. This is looking more like it. :huh:

Guest Matthew Ferguson
I've just tested nightly 8 and the bug is definitely still in there. Btw if you've got 180 degree rotation enabled you can turn the phone upside down and it'll do the exact same thing on the opposite side when you try to drag the notification screen back up to the Status bar. I suspect, since some people are noticing problems with the space bar too, it might be related to how it's currently handling touch detection at the top and bottom edges of the screen.

If you turn the phone onto its side (landscape mode) it appears to be free of the issue. Right now I just dismiss the Notification drop down menu screen using the back button instead.

Quick edit to say this appears to be a different issue from the one where the touchscreen sometimes stops responding. If you find it stops responding quickly toggling the power button, to switch the screen off and then back on again, seems to be enough to reset it and allow the touch screen to work again.

Normally it'd take me 5 or 6 tries to detect my finger before it'd scroll up. It's taking a max. of 3 now, so it's a little improvement!

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Also do not forget that the RC label is for CyanogenMod 7 itself, not blade specific.

We can be very happy that they included the blade build so close to the RC. Do not make them regret that decision by whining about bugs. Report them and hope someone takes the time to research/code a solution but do not forget that CM on Blade is alpha at best (<1 month development).

I can't wait to try this ROM when I come home. Thanks to everyone involved in the port.

It's not a port.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Sure, Blade doesn't have an End button. Still that fix is true - if you switch that option, Blade CM7 goes to sleep proprely. Don't ask me why, only God, Tom and Cyanogen know that :huh:

Aren't they the trinity/all the same person? :)

Can this be made into the first post to serve as a heads up for every one? :huh:

Hmm, I dunno. I've never found to actually work. I know Fonix finds it does. But not enough people have actually lead cadence to it.

nightly 8 seem to have fixed the extreme battery-drain when idle, but when I used the phone for an hour playing angry birds it drained from 50% to 20% :) but anyway, still love CM!!! :P

If so, I'm hopping on straight away. But I tend to only get the problems over night.

Normally it'd take me 5 or 6 tries to detect my finger before it'd scroll up. It's taking a max. of 3 now, so it's a little improvement!

I have the same problem. It'd be interesting to see if Nightly 8 helps... Unless they've pulled some touchscreen code from the Nexus 1's Gingerbread update.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Hmm, I dunno. I've never found to actually work. I know Fonix finds it does. But not enough people have actually lead cadence to it.

If so, I'm hopping on straight away. But I tend to only get the problems over night.

I have the same problem. It'd be interesting to see if Nightly 8 helps... Unless they've pulled some touchscreen code from the Nexus 1's Gingerbread update.

It seems a little better, like, before I'd drag it down and not let go, and it'd lose my finger's connection, but atm sometimes it'll scroll up straight away, when I touch it, and it won't lose signal. A bit better?

With the battery drain, I'm not sure if Nightly 8 helps that much or not. Installed it with approx. 30% battery at 3am last night, woke up at 3pm, phone was completely drained. I expected this, but sometimes with FLB it'd manage the 12 hours. I wasn't on N6 long enough to be able to tell the difference.

It seems a little better, like, before I'd drag it down and not let go, and it'd lose my finger's connection, but atm sometimes it'll scroll up straight away, when I touch it, and it won't lose signal. A bit better?

With the battery drain, I'm not sure if Nightly 8 helps that much or not. Installed it with approx. 30% battery at 3am last night, woke up at 3pm, phone was completely drained. I expected this, but sometimes with FLB it'd manage the 12 hours. I wasn't on N6 long enough to be able to tell the difference.

I hope that some changes to the touchscreen are in there, then. Could be good

Also, anyone would tell you that updating with less that 100% battery is a silly idea.

Guest spaceguy

you are saying in the first post that us who do not have CM7 can't use Rom manager. but i am actually running JJ9 and when flashing clockworkmod recovery you can choose "zte blade" from the list. at least this is my case, i don't know about you guys. do you agree?

you are saying in the first post that us who do not have CM7 can't use Rom manager. but i am actually running JJ9 and when flashing clockworkmod recovery you can choose "zte blade" from the list. at least this is my case, i don't know about you guys. do you agree?

Ah, must have been updated then. As of Wednesday or so, that wasn't the case.

Guest ZakMcRofl
It's not a port.

In computer science, porting is the process of adapting software so that an executable program can be created for a computing environment that is different from the one for which it was originally designed

How is this not a port of existing software (CyanogenMod) to a computing environment (ZTE Blade) that is different from the one for which it was originally designed (Dream/Magic and other ports)? Textbook port.

Edited by ZakMcRofl

Guest Matthew Ferguson
I hope that some changes to the touchscreen are in there, then. Could be good

Also, anyone would tell you that updating with less that 100% battery is a silly idea.

yes, but it's fine, that wasn't my point at all.

yes, but it's fine, that wasn't my point at all.

I guess so. However I think CM7 reports battery use on our blades (at least) wrong, and hence 30% may not be actual 30%. Just to add further complication

And I'm babbling. To be 100% honest, i'm not totally sure what you were on about...

Guest ThrashMan
I guess so. However I think CM7 reports battery use on our blades (at least) wrong, and hence 30% may not be actual 30%. Just to add further complication

And I'm babbling. To be 100% honest, i'm not totally sure what you were on about...

Exactly what I think, although Rotmann may not have aproved of my testing methodology I stand by my claim that CM7 is translating its reading from the battery incorrectly resulting in the OS displaying a more rapid battery decrease than is true.

Guest t0mm13b

In relation to Fonix's tip on that Spare Parts mechanism for handling the end key to make the handset sleep - one thing - to clarify - is that no matter where you are in respect to screen, hold down end key or return key for a period of seconds or just press it once?

Exactly what I think, although Rotmann may not have aproved of my testing methodology I stand by my claim that CM7 is translating its reading from the battery incorrectly resulting in the OS displaying a more rapid battery decrease than is true.

You don't test battery reporting by flashing a bunch of roms after each other. You do it by checking so the battery has the right voltage at 100% and 0%.

Guest fonix232
How is this not a port of existing software (CyanogenMod) to a computing environment (ZTE Blade) that is different from the one for which it was originally designed (Dream/Magic and other ports)? Textbook port.

It is NOT a port. It would be, if the final, binary version was edited. But, the CyanogenMod build for this device was designed for the Blade (at least, it is currently under designing), so it is definitely not a port. Getting MIUI, on the other hand, is a port, as it was designed for the Nexus One, HTC Desire, etc. See the difference? As soon as the computing environment gets official support from the existing software, it is declared as a supported platform, thus, a release version.

Edited by fonix232

Guest Totyasrác
nightly 8 seem to have fixed the extreme battery-drain when idle, but when I used the phone for an hour playing angry birds it drained from 50% to 20% :) but anyway, still love CM!!! :P

Yeah, definitely lookin' better - only 3% drop in 2 hours while idle. Looks much better to me :huh:

yeah here you go some evidence:)

I totally believe you, because Koush is very good at getting the stuff out. However, posting a picture with a gingerbread-style theme doesn't make proof :huh: