CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest OckoTomBrok

Hi,

regarding my WiFi-Bug. It's solved now.

Restarting my router didn't help. But it mysteriously worked after I changed the shared password to something different and then back...

No idea, why it worked always with the 2.2 ROMs but never with the 2.1 and 2.3 ROMs. The only thing I noticed: The password contains a dash "-".

However, now I noticed Navigon doesn't work under 2.3. But obviously that's a Navigon problem (not Cyanogenmod).

Otherwise it looks very cool, although I didn't notice any speed improvements (yet).

Thanks to all, who helped!

Regards,

Jan

Guest doubleluckstur
Very minor point, but on each of the nightlies (including rc1) when opening any new web page in the browser I gets brief flash of a thin vertical black line through the middle of the page

Not a problem - just a peculiarity I've noticed on each nightly but on no other Tom

Anyone else get it?

I am not getting this issue. Nightly 8

Guest fredewis
Very minor point, but on each of the nightlies (including rc1) when opening any new web page in the browser I gets brief flash of a thin vertical black line through the middle of the page

Not a problem - just a peculiarity I've noticed on each nightly but on no other Tom

Anyone else get it?

Yea I have the same little .......buggy...

OK, it may be only me and my installed apps, but...

I can easily turn the screen on using *any* of front-facing buttons (Home, Menu, Back), not only Power button. I can't say right now if it occurred with CM7 from the beginning, or started with some Nightly (I'm currently on N8), but it definitely happens.

Guest doubleluckstur

I can easily turn the screen on using *any* of front-facing buttons (Home, Menu, Back), not only Power button. I can't say right now if it occurred with CM7 from the beginning, or started with some Nightly (I'm currently on N8), but it definitely happens.

I can do this if either:

-I've got a notification

-only 5 seconds have past before I press one of the three front buttons since time of lock

-USB is plugged in / it's on charge

any other time I have to press the power button..

Edited by doubleluckstur

Guest Scoopading
Hi just installed nightly 8 and all seems well, except I can't get GPS to fix a location. The GPS symbol flashes but can't locate. Any one not have this issue or a fix?

I have the issue too. I've only been using since nightly 6, so I dont know if the issue is new or not (will check the RC before the next nightly) but the GPS speed is absolutely terrible and it's near impossible to get a location lock, even using GPS Status which is usually fairly fast at getting your location. I eventually got a lock with GPS Status, but you need to leave it there for a good 10-15 minutes with the Sensor Filtering set to "Strong".

But does GPS work? Mine just can't connect but I need it for runkeeper!

It does work (eventually). It'll just take so long to get a lock as to be fairly unusable.

I can do this if either:

-I've got a notification

-only 5 seconds have past before I press one of the three front buttons since time of lock

-USB is plugged in / it's on charge

any other time I have to press the power button..

Yeah, that's a normal behaviour for the Blade. The clue is that, in my case, I'm able to do that regardless of said circumstances.

So i f nobody confirms that on their device, I'll have to look for an app preventing the phone from sleeping I guess.

EDIT:

False alarm. It goes asleep eventually (requiring power button to wake the screen up), but it definitely takes longer than 5-10 seconds.

Edited by k0nrad

Guest Scoopading
Why is it so laggy when scrolling up or down in the menu in CM7? For example in some Froyo ROMs it is very smooth

That's the ADW launcher. Make sure that you turn OFF the animated wall paper. It's a pity they leave this enabled by default on the Blade build when its clear the phone can't handle it and still give smooth launcher performance. Some tweaks, like disabling animations, will also help. When you do that it'll run as smoothly as any Froyo rom. Alternatively you can try Launcher Pro from the market. Tweak its options and it'll run smoother than any of the 2.2's :huh:

Guest NightSt@lk3r
You can stop the front buttons from waking the device by removing WAKE_DROPPED from the qwerty.kl keymap file.

Alternatively you can find out what app is preventing your phone from sleeping properly.

Guest doubleluckstur
Eek, just had the screen switch off when I tried to hang up again using the latest nightly... had thought that was fixed :S

Hmm.. it should be fixed...

Guest Frankish

That should never happen unless it's a matter of seconds after screen off or if the device is on charge. Some app is stopping the phone from sleeping.

That's the ADW launcher. Make sure that you turn OFF the animated wall paper. It's a pity they leave this enabled by default on the Blade build when its clear the phone can't handle it and still give smooth launcher performance. Some tweaks, like disabling animations, will also help. When you do that it'll run as smoothly as any Froyo rom. Alternatively you can try Launcher Pro from the market. Tweak its options and it'll run smoother than any of the 2.2's :huh:

WHAT? I've bought ADW EX and it has solved all problems regarding launcher slowness... the animated wallpaper is as fast as the normal one... as long as the wallpaper hack is ENABLED. Yes, wallpaper hack is useful to avoid lagging while using live wallpapers... it slows stuff down with normal wallpapers.

Guest admanirv
(monkeyfeatures @ Feb 27 2011, 21:25)

Eek, just had the screen switch off when I tried to hang up again using the latest nightly... had thought that was fixed :S

Had the same mate, I'm running nightly8 and i was on the phone for around 10mins. Went to hangup and the screen went black and wouldn't wake, it did after 30 seconds but its possibly because my mate hung up after we finished our conversation - during this time i pressed the power button because after 15 seconds.

Edited by admanirv

Guest Scoopading
Scoopading, I added your findings to the bug tracker:

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issue...tars%20Priority

It would be good if more people could "star" this issue to raise developer awareness.

Thanks _amano, although (as you can see on their update) they marked the issue as invalid because it's classed as a "nightly" build problem and they don't want it reported (And I'm not about to cost myself more money just to test that the issue isn't in the RC build!). So, basically, before they'll consider an issue you have to confirm it in the RC as well as the nightly. Unfortunately the front page topic on this thread hasn't been updated though :)

Btw - As of nightly 8, CM7 includes many APN's and will automatically enable the 3G connection at install time and then run the Google installer which downloads various components from the market! So, if people don't have data plans, they should actually remove the sim card before installing CM and cancel that part of the install, enable WIFI, disable data, then proceed with installing the Google stuff and turning off APN.

So, by default, just installing CM will cost people money if they don't have a data plan. So people without data plans should remove the SIM card before installing, then place it back when they've disabled the mobile data / APN.

Cheers :huh:

Guest Scoopading
WHAT? I've bought ADW EX and it has solved all problems regarding launcher slowness... the animated wallpaper is as fast as the normal one... as long as the wallpaper hack is ENABLED. Yes, wallpaper hack is useful to avoid lagging while using live wallpapers... it slows stuff down with normal wallpapers.
Hack or no hack, Live wallpapers harm the performance because of the fairly slow CPU in the Blade. They're barely acceptable even on 1Ghz A8 CPU's (IMO), and they'll also drain even more battery too, which is already an issue on the current CM7. If you find performance acceptable on the Blade, whilst running a live wallpaper, then you have a different standard for what you find acceptable performance from me :huh:

I've had poor experiences with ADW (more laggy behaviours etc) and still prefer Launcher Pro personally. :)

Edited by Scoopading

Guest robot1000

I'm getting alot of forced closes even from those apps that haven't been moved to SD

One of those apps is 'Personality MD Free' when I click on Q&A it force closes. Would someone mind checking to see if it's a universal issue?

Guest steve1203

After reading this post, I tried this and can confirm that my phone acted the same way, with the front panel buttons waking phone up (no notifications, not on usb & phone asleep for ages before trying it). I checked in spare parts & for the three hours that I have had N8 on the phone cpu usage was 100%, screen on was 17%. I checked for wake-lock & the dialler was showing about 99%. I have rebooted the phone and all is now back to normal. It only seemed to be on the first boot (cache & dalvik were both wiped when I installed N8).

Guest Nick Rhodes
PEOPLE, TRY TO READ!

I already wrote this many times... go to the freakin Spare parts, select that fukken "End key behavior" and set it to "Go to sleep"!

Basically with CM, the phone won't go to sleep (as it was, on ZTE ROMs). This setting will make it sleep. Overnight loss: 5% in 14 hours.

I have done a clean install of Nightly 8, applied the above and am still loosing 3% or 4% an hour ! With the FLB roms I loose approx 10% in 8 hours with exactly the same Email/Reader/Twitter/Facebook running. Exactly the same with previous versions of CM7 nightlys.